Topshop Nostalgia

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I never really liked new look clothes, to flowery for my tastes and the fabric was really thin.

I had a lot of their shoes though lol

Reactions: 2
Last couple of things I bought from New Look were horrible quality 🙁 I bought a duplicate of a jumpsuit I wore to death but the new one transferred ink on to my skin even after washing. And my jumpers went bobbly after 1-2 washes 🙁 Has put me off for now, the one in my city closed a while ago though anyway.
When was the dye transfer item bought out of interest pls? There was definitely a point in the last 10 years where quality (highstreet and beyond) just fell off a cliff/fast fashion kicked into overdrive.

I saw a tiktok of a girl whose Shein jumpsuit dyed the back of her mulberry bag and the only way to fix it was for her to pay mulberry to dye it a darker green. We deserve better from clothes, leaking dye cannot be good for our health!

• Wow
Reactions: 7
I hadn’t bought from New Look in years until covid, when I started scrawling online in a moment of boredom. And since then I have bought quite a lot from there - unusual for me as my style and price point has been more in the COS/Whistles end in recent years, but I got sick of paying a fortune for clothes that quite frankly were often the same quality as NL, but at triple the price.

Their shoes are fantastic, love that they still do leather for a very decent price, and offer wide fit too, which not very many retailers on the high street so. I have found their coats to also be good value for money and decent quality; I actually prefer my duvet coat from there than the one I spent £££ on from Arket and hardly ever wear as a result!

I have also found that the odd jumper has been a very good quality for the price, you do have to be very selective and choosey when browsing on their site, but I have found some that wouldn’t look out of place from a higher end retailer. I swear one I bought this winter is the same as one I bought from Whistles, just with a NL label - probably made in the same factory.

I have also bought some decent cotton summer dresses from there (I do find the winter collection less good quality, very synthetic), and I like their cotton peplum tops for the summer too. I see they have now started to sell gold plated and sterling silver jewellery too, which I will most likely try - I tend to stick with other higher end brands but again, have been frustrated to find them tarnishing after just a few wears, which just isn’t on for the price. So overall, I’m likely to stop buying as much (if at all) from the likes of Whistles etc as I am finding that I don’t need to spend that type of money to get decent clothes on the high street.

Agree with the comments about COS: I hadn’t bought anything from there for a few years as I just didn’t like the colour options or styles (but the stuff I do have I love and has lasted a long time, so value for money over the longer term), but I indulged this winter in a few jumpers, and the quality is such an elevated standard from some of their competitors, I wish I had started buying again from them sooner!

Reactions: 6
View attachment 1945345Only some stores but sure it's coming.. don't know how they still survive tbh, they're cheap quality but retro Topshop prices
---

They closed their flagship store in Oxford Circus years ago which I was surprised about- maybe high rents
Most of Oxford Street now is just awful, just those American candy shops and little else on half of it, I remember going there as a teenager at the weekends, going to in store performances at hmv and Virgin megastores, spending hours in topshop browsing. I often work nearby and it is depressing to see it now tbh

Reactions: 5
Most of Oxford Street now is just awful, just those American candy shops and little else on half of it, I remember going there as a teenager at the weekends, going to in store performances at hmv and Virgin megastores, spending hours in topshop browsing. I often work nearby and it is depressing to see it now tbh
I agree, Oxford Street is really sad and tired these days. I don't see how it can be restored to the way it was, with online shopping and with the demise of Topshop, HMV etc

Reactions: 1
I agree, Oxford Street is really sad and tired these days. I don't see how it can be restored to the way it was, with online shopping and with the demise of Topshop, HMV etc
I think they want to make it more ‘experience’ led so like immersive exhibitions etc. but still not the same :( I guess Selfridges will cling on

Reactions: 2
Yes I'm the same. I ironically bought more clothes and outfits with my EMA/Saturday job money/student loan 15 years ago than I do now with my reasonable disposable income. I have been slowly trying to bring my wardrobe into the 2020s with stuff more suited for my age but have been generally trying to do it more consciously with second hand buys etc. But that takes time and patience.

I do think if you see gen z on social media though they do buy massive "hauls" of Shein, Cider, lots of fast fashion Ali Express-esque brands sadly. I guess they just do it online more?

I was never a Zara fan. Nice clothes but they just never suited my body shape for some reason.

I have never seen any influencer New Look content either!! Lots of other hugh st brands even Matalan lol but never NL!

And omg yes I loved their flats 😭 Will we ever get a ballet flat renaissance?! Generation alpha don't do it, you don't want the soggynes x
Katie Hutchins did a New Look edit

Yes I remember MK1! Never bought a lot in there, didn't like the clothes as much as New Look. Both were super popular with the girls in my school.
Jane Norman - yep was great for going out clothes, I shopped there around 2006-2008 when I was at uni.
Can anybody remember Morgan ❤ And KooKai

Reactions: 8
1676065238134.png
Are they doing paid PR on this story or something? It's like three stores and I'm seeing it everywhere haha

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Can’t see even Topshop bringing something out as short as these 😂
I can't understand the trend for thongs, either as bikinis or as part of an outfit. I wear them as underwear but would never wear a thong in public on the beach personally

Reactions: 3
Pre online shopping, I remember a feeling of genuine excitement when walking into Topshop, River Island etc. Nowadays you can just browse online to see what's in the store and whether its worth going in inperson. I rarely now visit the high street, so many closed physical outlets and more choice online.

Reactions: 6
New Look is the latest retailer to start charging for online returns. With the move towards this the high street may see a resurgence? Obviously it costs money to travel there but I'd actually rather go to New Look looking for a new jacket and try a load on and see the fabric for free rather than paying £2 to be sent a load and package them all up :)

And I know BooHoo's online only but their delivery is like 3.99 and they charge for returns? It's costing me £5 to buy a load of T-shirts I may not want instead of going to the high street

Reactions: 5
i hate buying things onlline because stuff literally never looks the same - zara is one of the worst for this

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.