Toddler advice thread

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yeah, you're absolutely right and I know that too, my post probably didn't convey that too well though! I think that's what makes it so hard. I'm maybe better posting this elsewhere since as you say it's not exactly a toddler issue. Yes she's a single parent but has quite a big family who she's reluctant to ask for help from, which is such a shame as they've always told her they'd love to help more. When I've asked how she's coping and how things are she just smiles and says everything is fine and things are great. I often remind her I'm always there for her if she needs to talk about anything, which she does about various unrelated things. When it comes to LO she does call me to vent about how the daycare are out of line for their comments, things like that, it's as though she can't see that they have a point which I think will make talking to her much harder. They suggested she take a parenting class and she blew up, saying they were the ones who were being lazy expecting her to do their job and is now looking for a new daycare, so trying to get through to her won't be easy. When she does say these things to me I try to be supportive with careful responses that are somehow neutral "I can understand that must have felt frustrating for you" etc, but it's getting difficult now to keep doing that when deep down I actually agree with them.

Friend and little one's dad split when she was a baby so that was just horrendous for her :( I don't think her parents were overly strict or anything as we've been friends since we were kids ourselves and she always says she had a great childhood. I wonder if she doesn't want to accept help when her mum offers to take the LO to give her a break because maybe she feels like it makes her a bad mum or something? I'm not sure, that's purely me speculating. I've asked why she doesn't let her mum help for a few hours here and there before and the answer is always the same, she feels as though her mum "tells off" LO too much(I don't think she does, it's always little basic things like "no chocolate until after dinner" or "please don't climb on the table" and she never raises her voice or says it nastily if that makes sense?), and then when they are both round at her mum's LO is "confused about which of them to listen to" if asked to do something/not to do something. She's said on a lot of occasions that she doesn't want LO to think she has to listen to anyone but her, which has caused issues at the daycare too, and will probably cause issues at school later if she carries on with that. I think you're probably right that she must be burnt out and exhausted but doesn't want to accept help.

I've been trying to mind my own business and not comment at all but my own mum said something about it that really scared me - she's been trying to push me to talk to her for ages as she thinks social services will end up getting involved and my friend could end up having the little one taken away which would of course be the worst possible thing to happen! I don't know how all these laws work but that really scared me and made me think maybe I do need to try to talk to her (not that I'd ever mention that part obviously as that's so extreme).

Thank you both for taking the time to reply! I think I maybe just needed to hear it from an outside perspective... I really do have to grow a pair and try to sit her down and explain that it truly is coming from a place of love and concern and wanting to help. And you are right that I'll need to be prepared for the fallout, and be so so so careful about choosing my words... as you both say I wouldn't plan on mentioning LO's behaviour because it's true that none of this is down to her. I worry that whatever way I frame it or how careful I am, she will feel attacked and get upset with me and we'll fall out, which is the last thing I'd want as I love them both to pieces. On the other hand, the implications of if it carries on are so scary :( I genuinely don't mean to sound like I'm criticizing my friend, she's one of the best people I've ever known. I feel as though I'd be being a bad friend by not saying anything, and a bad friend if I do. We are taking LO out together next week so maybe I could try to talk to her then when LO goes for her nap when we get back to her place.

Sorry again for the rant and thanks for listening!
Social services won't take the child away for her letting her get do whatever she likes and not telling her off 😊

I do think regardless of how you parent, being told from someone, especially a day care ect, that you should take parenting classes would be very hard to hear!

Reactions: 2
Does anyone have any advice on taking a toddler on their first flight ?? We’ve booked to go to Spain In April and I’m a bit anxious about it as my little one ( who will be 3 ) doesn’t really like sitting still for long periods of time
Hi ☺ We’ve flown with all our four from they were babies (now aged 8,6,3 and baby). Honestly, they LOVE it. They’ve never had an issue on flights as it’s just so exciting for them! Our last flight last month was an hour long, and I tit you not my 3yo played with the inflight safety card for an hour. 🤣

People always say take loads of stuff, wrap up toys etc, but I have never done anything like that. I usually take a sticker/activity/colouring book, crayons, a few small toys and some books and that does us. Snacks as well, we never get through loads, but a few easy to eat snacks (NOT raisins. Those sods get everywhere!) will also help pass the time. If you give lollipops they can be useful for take off and landing for ears. If not, a sucky drink works as well.

Try not to worry, the excitement factor for them is off the charts and that alone keeps them entertained 😊

Yeah, you're absolutely right and I know that too, my post probably didn't convey that too well though! I think that's what makes it so hard. I'm maybe better posting this elsewhere since as you say it's not exactly a toddler issue. Yes she's a single parent but has quite a big family who she's reluctant to ask for help from, which is such a shame as they've always told her they'd love to help more. When I've asked how she's coping and how things are she just smiles and says everything is fine and things are great. I often remind her I'm always there for her if she needs to talk about anything, which she does about various unrelated things. When it comes to LO she does call me to vent about how the daycare are out of line for their comments, things like that, it's as though she can't see that they have a point which I think will make talking to her much harder. They suggested she take a parenting class and she blew up, saying they were the ones who were being lazy expecting her to do their job and is now looking for a new daycare, so trying to get through to her won't be easy. When she does say these things to me I try to be supportive with careful responses that are somehow neutral "I can understand that must have felt frustrating for you" etc, but it's getting difficult now to keep doing that when deep down I actually agree with them.

Friend and little one's dad split when she was a baby so that was just horrendous for her :( I don't think her parents were overly strict or anything as we've been friends since we were kids ourselves and she always says she had a great childhood. I wonder if she doesn't want to accept help when her mum offers to take the LO to give her a break because maybe she feels like it makes her a bad mum or something? I'm not sure, that's purely me speculating. I've asked why she doesn't let her mum help for a few hours here and there before and the answer is always the same, she feels as though her mum "tells off" LO too much(I don't think she does, it's always little basic things like "no chocolate until after dinner" or "please don't climb on the table" and she never raises her voice or says it nastily if that makes sense?), and then when they are both round at her mum's LO is "confused about which of them to listen to" if asked to do something/not to do something. She's said on a lot of occasions that she doesn't want LO to think she has to listen to anyone but her, which has caused issues at the daycare too, and will probably cause issues at school later if she carries on with that. I think you're probably right that she must be burnt out and exhausted but doesn't want to accept help.

I've been trying to mind my own business and not comment at all but my own mum said something about it that really scared me - she's been trying to push me to talk to her for ages as she thinks social services will end up getting involved and my friend could end up having the little one taken away which would of course be the worst possible thing to happen! I don't know how all these laws work but that really scared me and made me think maybe I do need to try to talk to her (not that I'd ever mention that part obviously as that's so extreme).

Thank you both for taking the time to reply! I think I maybe just needed to hear it from an outside perspective... I really do have to grow a pair and try to sit her down and explain that it truly is coming from a place of love and concern and wanting to help. And you are right that I'll need to be prepared for the fallout, and be so so so careful about choosing my words... as you both say I wouldn't plan on mentioning LO's behaviour because it's true that none of this is down to her. I worry that whatever way I frame it or how careful I am, she will feel attacked and get upset with me and we'll fall out, which is the last thing I'd want as I love them both to pieces. On the other hand, the implications of if it carries on are so scary :( I genuinely don't mean to sound like I'm criticizing my friend, she's one of the best people I've ever known. I feel as though I'd be being a bad friend by not saying anything, and a bad friend if I do. We are taking LO out together next week so maybe I could try to talk to her then when LO goes for her nap when we get back to her place.

Sorry again for the rant and thanks for listening!
I really wish I had some advice for you, but just wanted to say you’re a fab friend. She probably doesn’t see it now, and no doubt if you have a chat with her she definitely won’t, but she is lucky to have you and some day she’ll realise that.
It sounds like she is really struggling, but is unwilling to ask for help for whatever reason, and is trying to paper over the cracks.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Does anyone have any advice on taking a toddler on their first flight ?? We’ve booked to go to Spain In April and I’m a bit anxious about it as my little one ( who will be 3 ) doesn’t really like sitting still for long periods of time
Take a few things to play with - stickers/colouring book or let your little on play with your phone or an iPad. Snacks/drinks on hand, and just be prepared for them to be a bit restless or want to look at things/be taken for a wander etc

our kids are always a bit restless to start with but they chill out after half an hour and usually just fall asleep!!!

Reactions: 1
Social services won't take the child away for her letting her get do whatever she likes and not telling her off 😊

I do think regardless of how you parent, being told from someone, especially a day care ect, that you should take parenting classes would be very hard to hear!
Hi ☺ We’ve flown with all our four from they were babies (now aged 8,6,3 and baby). Honestly, they LOVE it. They’ve never had an issue on flights as it’s just so exciting for them! Our last flight last month was an hour long, and I tit you not my 3yo played with the inflight safety card for an hour. 🤣

People always say take loads of stuff, wrap up toys etc, but I have never done anything like that. I usually take a sticker/activity/colouring book, crayons, a few small toys and some books and that does us. Snacks as well, we never get through loads, but a few easy to eat snacks (NOT raisins. Those sods get everywhere!) will also help pass the time. If you give lollipops they can be useful for take off and landing for ears. If not, a sucky drink works as well.

Try not to worry, the excitement factor for them is off the charts and that alone keeps them entertained 😊

I really wish I had some advice for you, but just wanted to say you’re a fab friend. She probably doesn’t see it now, and no doubt if you have a chat with her she definitely won’t, but she is lucky to have you and some day she’ll realise that.
It sounds like she is really struggling, but is unwilling to ask for help for whatever reason, and is trying to paper over the cracks.
An unfortunate sooner-than-expected update, my friend has called me extremely upset tonight saying that the nursery/daycare are now involving a "case worker" from SS. The social worker will be coming to her place next Thursday, I will be going round to help tidy. I haven't said anything, seems like I'm too late. Thank you guys anyway xxx

• Heart
An unfortunate sooner-than-expected update, my friend has called me extremely upset tonight saying that the nursery/daycare are now involving a "case worker" from SS. The social worker will be coming to her place next Thursday, I will be going round to help tidy. I haven't said anything, seems like I'm too late. Thank you guys anyway xxx
What's the reason for them involving a case worker from SS?
It seems odd that they'd involve someone and someone would come out for her basically not disciplining her child.
Are there other factors there?

Reactions: 4
I'm sorry but this isn't how it works. I've got a degree in social work (albeit never went into the profession but I have knowledge). The social worker, assuming this referral was from.the nursery, would get in touch directly with your friend to arrange a welfare check \assesment they wouldn't automatically be given a case worker. Unless you have missed out alot of key information, your friend is not abusive or neglectful, therefore there is no way she would be seen this quickly or seen at all. I also couldn't ever imagine a nursery suggesting parenting classes, that would be more down to SS themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
I'm sorry but this isn't how it works. I've got a degree in social work (albeit never went into the profession but I have knowledge). The social worker, assuming this referral was from.the nursery, would get in touch directly with your friend to arrange a welfare check \assesment they wouldn't automatically be given a case worker. Unless you have missed out alot of key information, your friend is not abusive or neglectful, therefore there is no way she would be seen this quickly or seen at all. I also couldn't ever imagine a nursery suggesting parenting classes, that would be more down to SS themselves.
No worries, I've only passed on what I've been told by her herself, I don't know anything about it myself. I'm not exactly sure why she would make it up, surely it must be a bit embarrassing for her even opening up about something like that?

Last edited:
No worries, I've only passed on what I've been told by her herself, I don't know anything about it myself. I'm not exactly sure why she would make it up, surely it must be a bit embarrassing for her even opening up about something like that?
I'm really not sure, is it possible she could have got confused? Maybe they have assigned a 1:1 worker at the nursery? It sounds like she's really struggling bless her, I've been a single parent when I was younger and it is bloody hard. She probably feels like she's being attacked from all angles. I really don't know what to suggest (helpful I know!) other than just being there for her as a hand hold.

I'm really not sure, is it possible she could have got confused? Maybe they have assigned a 1:1 worker at the nursery? It sounds like she's really struggling bless her, I've been a single parent when I was younger and it is bloody hard. She probably feels like she's being attacked from all angles. I really don't know what to suggest (helpful I know!) other than just being there for her as a hand hold.
No worries, I know it must be so so hard, I couldn't possibly imagine! Not sure tbh, she was just in a total panic saying they'd assigned a case worker and she wasn't sure what that meant but she'd looked it up online and asked her mum and was told it was SS. The daycare have been on her back for a while so I agree with you she probably does feel like she's getting it from all angles, it's such a shame. Our families are friends too and my mum's been saying for a long time that she's been a detriment to her LO but she has a very extreme view on a lot of things so I try not to take too much of what she says to heart x

• Heart
No worries, I know it must be so so hard, I couldn't possibly imagine! Not sure tbh, she was just in a total panic saying they'd assigned a case worker and she wasn't sure what that meant but she'd looked it up online and asked her mum and was told it was SS. The daycare have been on her back for a while so I agree with you she probably does feel like she's getting it from all angles, it's such a shame. Our families are friends too and my mum's been saying for a long time that she's been a detriment to her LO but she has a very extreme view on a lot of things so I try not to take too much of what she says to heart x
Oh bless her, are you guys based in the UK? Just asking as if your not it may be different elsewhere. It sounds to me like they've assigned a case worker \1:1 worker within the nursery for the little girl so they can try and help her behaviour, but I may be completely wrong. SS would have been in touch with her directly and they certainly wouldn't have given this information for the nursery to inform her. That's a massive breach of confidentiality and just wouldn't happen x

When you said you need to go over and help tidy up, what are the living conditions like? Must be bad if she feels like she can't have someone round with over a weeks notice. Possibly undiagnosed PND if she's always felt like this and feels like a bad mother for any sort of discipline and structure. Plus if won't accept help from family, it's not all can't bond with baby.

With her saying she doesn't like the grand mother telling her and her kid what to do, getting frustrated that her kid doesn't know who to listen to, kids play adults off against each other. Mine will do the same when he's at my mums and I'm collecting him. He tells me he doesn't want to go home, wants to stay with gran and sleep at her house. I don't really bother with it now but it hurt at first especially as I was struggling with returning to work, but really I know it's a positive thing he's got such a close bond with his gran, but if I was depressed i might react differently.

I think it's good she's got a case worker, sounds like she needs intervention before it impacts her kid long term and she hasn't been listening to family or friends so hopefully social worker will be able to get through to her and get some sort of play therapy set up for them as she needs some guidance.

• Heart
Not sure if this has been covered or not, but looking for some advice on anyone who has toddlers with ADHD, what age were they when you realised they may have this an what are the early signs etc, are they diagnosed or did you decide yourself based on behaviour?

I have a 14mo neice, an she is on the go like constant morning to night, it's incredible hard to get her down for naps as she fights it horrendously an you can tell she's tried but she refuses it, I have also noticed more an more recently that nothing seems to keep her intrested for long, she needs to have a entire room full of toys to go between to be happy, an each toy maybe gets looked at for a few minutes before it's tossed an she needs another, I don't know if she's just a extremely energetic toddler or if maybe these are little signs I should be keeping a eye on, she is still quite young so maybe she just wants to run around an explore so many different things but knowing what I should look out for might help in knowing the difference

I haven't said anything yet cause obvs I don't know an my family don't take kindly to mentioning anything like this, even though I myself would have no problems with it but I get that everyone always wants the "perfectly normal" child an can take it badly if they aren't

But I am genuinely curious about her behaviour an if this is somthing others have dealt with, her energy for a kid her age is honestly insane

Not sure if this has been covered or not, but looking for some advice on anyone who has toddlers with ADHD, what age were they when you realised they may have this an what are the early signs etc, are they diagnosed or did you decide yourself based on behaviour?

I have a 14mo neice, an she is on the go like constant morning to night, it's incredible hard to get her down for naps as she fights it horrendously an you can tell she's tried but she refuses it, I have also noticed more an more recently that nothing seems to keep her intrested for long, she needs to have a entire room full of toys to go between to be happy, an each toy maybe gets looked at for a few minutes before it's tossed an she needs another, I don't know if she's just a extremely energetic toddler or if maybe these are little signs I should be keeping a eye on, she is still quite young so maybe she just wants to run around an explore so many different things but knowing what I should look out for might help in knowing the difference

I haven't said anything yet cause obvs I don't know an my family don't take kindly to mentioning anything like this, even though I myself would have no problems with it but I get that everyone always wants the "perfectly normal" child an can take it badly if they aren't

But I am genuinely curious about her behaviour an if this is somthing others have dealt with, her energy for a kid her age is honestly insane
She seems pretty normal to me kids that age don't have a long attention span and will often fight sleep .

Sounds completely normal to me.
You've literally described my 4 year old and how she's always been. My 9 year old was also the same. My godson, also the same.
None have adhd.

My daughter stopped napping at 1 and I moved her bed time earlier instead.
There was no point forcing her to go to sleep.

The room full of toys is possibly the reason for her not being able to keep her attention on 1 thing though.
People surround their kids with loads of toys right from a baby and they don't really learn to play with single things.
It's each to their own. But I find the less toys available, the more they learn to play longer

She seems pretty normal to me kids that age don't have a long attention span and will often fight sleep .
Thanks, just wasn't sure, I've been round kids all ages from newborn to years old an out them all she definitely has the most energy I've ever known lol, her lack of attention with things was what was making me wonder, usually the kids would spend quite a bit of time with certain toys an move on but she seems to have a 2 minute play then it's tossed an away for other ones

Sounds completely normal to me.
You've literally described my 4 year old and how she's always been. My 9 year old was also the same. My godson, also the same.
None have adhd.

My daughter stopped napping at 1 and I moved her bed time earlier instead.
There was no point forcing her to go to sleep.

The room full of toys is possibly the reason for her not being able to keep her attention on 1 thing though.
People surround their kids with loads of toys right from a baby and they don't really learn to play with single things.
It's each to their own. But I find the less toys available, the more they learn to play longer
We did try the less toys thing thinking maybe that she was a bit over whelmed but she was starting to get a bit angry at what she had an they were being thrown round the room then she would start running room to room an bringing any toy she found in other rooms out so we ended up thinking maybe it was best just to have them all in one room

This does sound quite normal for a 14mo, my now 2yo is the same but has calmed down a lot now. A lot of kids need constant entertainment and fight sleep.

We are about to undergo ADHD assessment for my nearly 4yo though. His main “symptoms” are his meltdowns which are wholly different to just tantrums. He just completely zones out and goes crazy, hits, kicks, screams and we just have to hold him until he calms down, which could be hours. Nothing gets him out of it and they usually occur when over stimulated or overtired. He also never ever ever sits still ever. Literally like he’s got ants in his pants! He doesn’t stop talking, will ask the same question 50 times even if you answer it the first 10 times and it’s not even because he’s trying to be funny it’s like he’s stuck on loop. He does not respond to any discipline at all (thankfully he is very rarely naughty) even positive reinforcement I.e sticker charts etc and has been like this since he was tiny. Very headstrong, endless bounds of energy, struggles with focus, very low impulse control, high anxiety and struggles in groups. All the usual 4yo things except x100000. My partner has ADHD and was exactly like this as a child. I did consider potential ASD but he doesn’t show any signs of this other than the meltdowns but he does have insane photographic memory and is very intelligent/ahead for his age so who knows!

• Heart
I agree with @WhatABore about the overwhelm of toys.

I agree with @WhatABore about the overwhelm of toys. Also the type of toy will make a difference - if all her toys are light up, noisy, responsive toys they won’t hold interest long as there is little for her to do, the toy does all the work. It’s worth remembering at 14mo that I wouldn’t expect a child to really focus on one toy longer than around 3-5 minutes. Their attention span is incredibly short (usually I would factor it as their age +2 in minutes. So a 1 yo would be around 3 mins active engagement). That doesn’t mean sometimes they won’t play longer if they are very involved, but it’s just a rough guideline.

I find getting little ones out in the fresh air first thing can help them work out their energy a bit and be a bit more ready to do some quieter play indoors. But some kids are just full of beans all the time!

I agree with @WhatABore about the overwhelm of toys.

I agree with @WhatABore about the overwhelm of toys. Also the type of toy will make a difference - if all her toys are light up, noisy, responsive toys they won’t hold interest long as there is little for her to do, the toy does all the work. It’s worth remembering at 14mo that I wouldn’t expect a child to really focus on one toy longer than around 3-5 minutes. Their attention span is incredibly short (usually I would factor it as their age +2 in minutes. So a 1 yo would be around 3 mins active engagement). That doesn’t mean sometimes they won’t play longer if they are very involved, but it’s just a rough guideline.

I find getting little ones out in the fresh air first thing can help them work out their energy a bit and be a bit more ready to do some quieter play indoors. But some kids are just full of beans all the time!
Yeah they'll find more enjoyment in a cardboard box or tearing up paper than focusing on a certain toy at that age ,bubbles always seems to be a winner for holding their attention .

Yeah they'll find more enjoyment in a cardboard box or tearing up paper than focusing on a certain toy at that age ,bubbles always seems to be a winner for holding their attention .
Both my girls have never been overly interested in any particular toys (whereas my eldest son would play for hours with cars, trains, figures etc). I genuinely think most kids toys are absolute bollocks and, as you say, a cardboard box is always a winner!

Thanks guy, honestly I was merely curious as she's the first kid that has actually properly exhausted me with trying to keep up with her lol, I remember when I was a kid an my aunt would go on about my cousin having ADHD, my memory from that was his boundless energy an not keeping focus with anything, so it's not somthing I really know alot about as I was a kid an only seen a fraction of his ADHD

I'll try other toys that aren't loud an light up, she seems to have mostly those so maybe they aren't the greatest intrest for her an see if other simpler toys will hold more intrest, she does have the ones where you put shapes through the little spaces but they end up being thrown at you if she doesn't get it first time lol or maybe cardboard boxes she can rip to bits lol, thankfully with the weather getting better maybe I can get her out, she was a winter baby so last summer she was just too young to be running around a garden an we were back to winter when she was finally on her feet

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.