Toddler advice thread

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Both my girls have never been overly interested in any particular toys (whereas my eldest son would play for hours with cars, trains, figures etc). I genuinely think most kids toys are absolute bollocks and, as you say, a cardboard box is always a winner!
Yes my eldest would play for hours with toys but the youngest was never interested in them ,he got more enjoyment from the box they came in or plastic cups etc that he could bang about and make sounds with .

Reactions: 2
Thanks guy, honestly I was merely curious as she's the first kid that has actually properly exhausted me with trying to keep up with her lol, I remember when I was a kid an my aunt would go on about my cousin having ADHD, my memory from that was his boundless energy an not keeping focus with anything, so it's not somthing I really know alot about as I was a kid an only seen a fraction of his ADHD

I'll try other toys that aren't loud an light up, she seems to have mostly those so maybe they aren't the greatest intrest for her an see if other simpler toys will hold more intrest, she does have the ones where you put shapes through the little spaces but they end up being thrown at you if she doesn't get it first time lol or maybe cardboard boxes she can rip to bits lol, thankfully with the weather getting better maybe I can get her out, she was a winter baby so last summer she was just too young to be running around a garden an we were back to winter when she was finally on her feet
Shape sorters are odd - marketed for really little ones but actually it takes a much older child to work them out.
Off the top of my head some of my kids’ faves at that age would be
Dolls
Balls
Vehicles
Tea set
Books
Water play
Anything small they can fit in places and pretend is something else (like Pom poms)

Reactions: 3
Shape sorters are odd - marketed for really little ones but actually it takes a much older child to work them out.
Off the top of my head some of my kids’ faves at that age would be
Dolls
Balls
Vehicles
Tea set
Books
Water play
Anything small they can fit in places and pretend is something else (like Pom poms)
Thanks, might try some little cars or somthing, she has dolls that get dragged by the hair about the place lol an books she sorta looks at, we just got past the eating everything in site stage so most things she has are quite big as well so maybe we need smaller now, she has a few of those ride on things like trains, cars etc

I think the biggest problem for me is am used to being told what toys to buy for others kids an I only ever babysat for a few short hours, I've never been on the side of going out an buying anything so am more at a loss an tend to just get the noisy ones or light up ones thinking that's the better ones an I've never had kids over night before an now am having weekends with her

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Thanks, might try some little cars or somthing, she has dolls that get dragged by the hair about the place lol an books she sorta looks at, we just got past the eating everything in site stage so most things she has are quite big as well so maybe we need smaller now, she has a few of those ride on things like trains, cars etc

I think the biggest problem for me is am used to being told what toys to buy for others kids an I only ever babysat for a few short hours, I've never been on the side of going out an buying anything so am more at a loss an tend to just get the noisy ones or light up ones thinking that's the better ones an I've never had kids over night before an now am having weekends with her
It sounds like you’re doing a great job. Really what they need most is someone who loves them and cares enough to worry, and she has that in you.

It sounds like you’re doing a great job. Really what they need most is someone who loves them and cares enough to worry, and she has that in you.
Thanks, over a year later an it's still a shock that am a aunt 😂 am just so lost with it all, like I don't know what's normal for a toddler lol, I keep getting paranoid am doing all the things you shouldn't do

Most things will have the age on as well so you know bits won't be too small. 😊

My daughter at 4 is only just a bit more interested in books. Even now she'll maybe sit through 1 short book. If she's picked it and asked for it to be read herself.
Dolls have only just stopped being dragged around and only now has she started playing pretend with them.

Thanks, over a year later an it's still a shock that am a aunt 😂 am just so lost with it all, like I don't know what's normal for a toddler lol, I keep getting paranoid am doing all the things you shouldn't do
There is no normal, they are all flipping nuts 🤣 And do not worry, as I say the most important thing is love, and spending time together. Everything else is nice on top of that, but not essential. We all feel lost in parenting quite a lot of the time, so sounds like you’re doing it just right!

Thanks, its nice to know that she's just like other kids even if she is quite energetic, an one day hopefully things will calm down, I love her to bits I really do but it's been a learning curve figuring this all out, there is one thing that does keep her intrested an that's my guinea pigs but honestly am just too nervous to let her get full access to them, my poor pigs run for hiding when they see her now lol they aren't quite used to the shouting she does but I'll try the cardboard boxes, maybe those will give her some interest 😊

For MiniGlenCoco I got a bag of little pom poms, an empty box and a load of old utensils and tupperware, tipped the pom poms into the box and let her have fun just playing with all of that. Think it was the only activity that she actually played with for more than 5 mins!

For MiniGlenCoco I got a bag of little pom poms, an empty box and a load of old utensils and tupperware, tipped the pom poms into the box and let her have fun just playing with all of that. Think it was the only activity that she actually played with for more than 5 mins!
Thanks I'll give that a go an see how she gets on, it's funny how out all these toys places sell that it seems to be just simple things that work

Thanks I'll give that a go an see how she gets on, it's funny how out all these toys places sell that it seems to be just simple things that work
Even blow up a balloon and let it fly round the room 😅 they love silly things like that.

Even blow up a balloon and let it fly round the room 😅 they love silly things like that.
I did try balloons till little teeth started to get closer an closer to them, then I was like nope that's a no no then 😂 I still kindi freak out when she screams an crys, I know I'll need to get used to it but last thing I want is for me to panic an make it worse

I did try balloons till little teeth started to get closer an closer to them, then I was like nope that's a no no then 😂 I still kindi freak out when she screams an crys, I know I'll need to get used to it but last thing I want is for me to panic an make it worse
Tbh, I've got 3 and I still freak out and panic sometimes when they scream and cry 😂

• Haha
Tbh, I've got 3 and I still freak out and panic sometimes when they scream and cry 😂
I honestly wonder how parents cope with it, especially if then end up breaking a bone god forbid, my neice has the habit of holding her breath am not being able to catch it when she's going to scream an am going about like a headless chicken like what do it do 😱😂

I'm sure you're doing a grand job it gets a bit easier when they're able to communicate ,distraction is the key .

I'm sure you're doing a grand job it gets a bit easier when they're able to communicate ,distraction is the key .
Thanks, an yeah once she's able to actually talk to me I feel I can relax more, right now it's just one or two words she will say then babbling so she still can't really communicate very well, if only they come with manuals or somthing 😅 and cause she's not mine but my neice I feel I need to be extra careful round her, not that if I had kids myself I wouldn't be but somtimes when they aren't yours you feel that little bit more paranoid at being super careful with them

Thought I'd try ask here instead of starting a new thread... partners little girl is almost three and her mum has told him that she's hypermobile, she also said that she now has to get rid of a lot of the shoes that she puts on her because they don't support her ankles. Now here is where I'm confused, she said that the uggs etc have to go which we don't put her in anyway, that she can't wear sandals and that the only shoes she can wear are Nike Air max and converse but I don't think converse offer any support. She's about as reliable as a chocolate teapot when it comes to passing information on and I want to make sure we have the correct style shoes for little one. She did mention boots like Dr martens but how do you go from she needs those boots for ankle support to she can wear converse still? So my question is does anyone have a similar issue with their child and do they just wear normal trainers etc or should we be forking out for air max trainers/ similar because that's what her mum has said?

Thought I'd try ask here instead of starting a new thread... partners little girl is almost three and her mum has told him that she's hypermobile, she also said that she now has to get rid of a lot of the shoes that she puts on her because they don't support her ankles. Now here is where I'm confused, she said that the uggs etc have to go which we don't put her in anyway, that she can't wear sandals and that the only shoes she can wear are Nike Air max and converse but I don't think converse offer any support. She's about as reliable as a chocolate teapot when it comes to passing information on and I want to make sure we have the correct style shoes for little one. She did mention boots like Dr martens but how do you go from she needs those boots for ankle support to she can wear converse still? So my question is does anyone have a similar issue with their child and do they just wear normal trainers etc or should we be forking out for air max trainers/ similar because that's what her mum has said?
I don’t have experience on it but found this article it seems as long as there’s support in the shoe it doesn’t really matter if they’re branded

My son has hypermobility and juvenile arthritis and his rheumatologist told us the same. We attended an appointment when he was 2 and he had a pair of next boots on and he pretty much told us off as they offered little to no support to his arches and his ankles.
He recommended us to try Clarks or branded trainers as they offer better arch and ankle support.

My son has hypermobility and juvenile arthritis and his rheumatologist told us the same. We attended an appointment when he was 2 and he had a pair of next boots on and he pretty much told us off as they offered little to no support to his arches and his ankles.
He recommended us to try Clarks or branded trainers as they offer better arch and ankle support.
That makes sense, obviously we want to make sure her ankles are supported correctly. I just couldn't make sense of her saying she'd been told to get boots like Dr martens and then saying converse are fine when converse offer no support. We have trainers for her which in my opinion do offer the correct support but I'd rather make sure we've got her in the right shoes than potentially cause her pain.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.