Toddler Advice Thread #6 Christmas is coming, as are the illnesses

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Has anyone got any advice on how to get my 3 year old to give up his dummy? Short of going cold turkey, I'm not sure what to do. Also any advice for nighttime potty training would be appreciated. He's such a deep sleeper I'm not sure what the best options are.

Reactions: 1
Has anyone got any advice on how to get my 3 year old to give up his dummy? Short of going cold turkey, I'm not sure what to do. Also any advice for nighttime potty training would be appreciated. He's such a deep sleeper I'm not sure what the best options are.
Mine were both 3 when they gave them up and left them for Father Christmas (idea from nursery!) and it worked well. He left them a special present for the dummies and they didn’t really ask for one again. If they did, we just reminded them and they were fine!
I just waited til they were dry at night (encouraged going to the toilet before bed etc) as it’s hormone related and I didn’t them to be upset for wetting the bed, if it’s out of their control. I’d say they were dry shortly before turning 4 x

Reactions: 5
Sorry I can’t help on the dummy but on the nighttime potty training it took us a really long time, she just wasn’t ready or getting it. In the end I got these: Amazon product and we made sure she had a wee before bed, they say to stop drinks an hour before bed or something but I just halved her amount because her bottle was a big part of her bedtime routine for her. I think once she was waking up after having had an accident something sparked in her brain and she was dry really quickly after that. I made the mistake of putting her on the potty asleep which worked for my mum but I think now is widely discredited as a method!! Good luck xx

We sent my stepsons on a makeshift boat for the pirate babies. He was nearly 4 though
My others have all had some kind of throat infection and didn't want the dummy as it hurt and never went back to it

My son is 2, we cut them out daytime only at the moment. He has a teddy he likes that looks after his dummy. It helps he’s very routined so every morning gives me his dummy and teddy to put on the side and that’s it for the day

We did the same as others for the dummy. I just phased it out during the day for a few weeks, kept it out of sight, then got her to decorate a shoe box and we put the dummy inside it and on the front step one night and told her the dummy fairy would take it and leave her a present. She was all for it at first, then devastated when we got back upstairs. 😭 we had lots of cuddles and she eventually went to sleep, woke up got her pressie and that was that! She loves telling people about the dummy fairy coming to her house 😂

oldest was never really bothered about her dummy, my father in law was looking after her one night while we were at a wedding during covid and he forgot to give her it, and she literally never mentioned it ever again.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Hello!

It has been a LONG time since I posted on Tattle, I’ve been reading quietly in the background for a little while but wanted to pick your brains! I definitely remember a few of your names so you may remember me!

anyway, very long story cut short but I’m in the middle of a divorce, all is good, I’m glad to be out of it but I wondered if anyone could relate/offer advice on this?

I’ve been split up for about 18 months now and as much of a twit my ex is, we communicate pretty well regarding our 3(!!!) year old. He is known to be a bit of a liar and narcissist so I sometimes take what he says with a pinch of salt but I mentioned our child’s sleep in a message the other day. I said that I was finding that our LB was waking up at 3am pretty much every night and then wanting to get up. I worked out that putting a nightlight near his room has helped with this but recently he just wakes up about 4:30/5am And wants to get up for the day. he Goes to bed at 8pm so I know this is not enough. I would put him to bed earlier but he is so tired in the day he ends up napping at nursery, it’s a really difficult thing to balance. I asked my ex if he found the same and he said that he cannot remember the last time he was woken up in the night or even early in the morning. He says he usually wakes up at 6:30/7am. How?!? I’m honestly not sure I believe him, he doesn’t like anyone to think he struggles but it just doesn’t make sense. We both have blackout blinds etc. the problem is, it now just has me questioning myself and wondering where I am going wrong? I feel so sorry for my LB, he was so tired this morning but just would not go back to bed, wouldn’t reason with anything and ends up being super emotional as a result. Any advice for how I can help him?

• Heart
Hello!

It has been a LONG time since I posted on Tattle, I’ve been reading quietly in the background for a little while but wanted to pick your brains! I definitely remember a few of your names so you may remember me!

anyway, very long story cut short but I’m in the middle of a divorce, all is good, I’m glad to be out of it but I wondered if anyone could relate/offer advice on this?

I’ve been split up for about 18 months now and as much of a twit my ex is, we communicate pretty well regarding our 3(!!!) year old. He is known to be a bit of a liar and narcissist so I sometimes take what he says with a pinch of salt but I mentioned our child’s sleep in a message the other day. I said that I was finding that our LB was waking up at 3am pretty much every night and then wanting to get up. I worked out that putting a nightlight near his room has helped with this but recently he just wakes up about 4:30/5am And wants to get up for the day. he Goes to bed at 8pm so I know this is not enough. I would put him to bed earlier but he is so tired in the day he ends up napping at nursery, it’s a really difficult thing to balance. I asked my ex if he found the same and he said that he cannot remember the last time he was woken up in the night or even early in the morning. He says he usually wakes up at 6:30/7am. How?!? I’m honestly not sure I believe him, he doesn’t like anyone to think he struggles but it just doesn’t make sense. We both have blackout blinds etc. the problem is, it now just has me questioning myself and wondering where I am going wrong? I feel so sorry for my LB, he was so tired this morning but just would not go back to bed, wouldn’t reason with anything and ends up being super emotional as a result. Any advice for how I can help him?
Don’t know if this would work or not, but could you try getting him to listen to audiobooks in bed as a means to try and keep him in bed for longer? Either at bedtime so you can get him into bed earlier and he’s resting even if he’s not asleep until 8, or when he wakes up at 3am so he will lie there and not try to get up for the day, and hopefully drift back to sleep? Would obviously be best to go for calming stories, nothing too exciting!

Reactions: 2
Hello!

I would second the audio books idea, we have a Tonies Box for my 2.5 year old and when he wakes up early he usually pops it on and gets back into bed, normally it's just whatever he was listening to the night before or sometimes we leave a different one out for him to choose. He finds it quite relaxing and although he doesn't always go back asleep he is in bed chilling which is as good as you can get sometimes

These dummy stories 🥹😭

We had set a light goal of getting our son off his dummy + bottles by 16months, bottles I guess we were lucky (/unlucky as I spent weeks stressing about him not drinking milk 😭) as he went through a short phase of refusing to drink milk, he’s now drinking it again but just has it in his cup.

Dummy’s he only has for his 1 nap then bedtime. He only gets it once we’ve put him in his cot. He doesn’t need or care for them outside of going to sleep otherwise really. I want to start cutting it out but husband thinks it’s too soon? (He’s 16months in 2 weeks).

I worry if we leave it too long that it might get harder to stop it? Did anyone here think that it would’ve been easier to stop if they were able to cut out sooner? I’ve no idea what it’s like to put him in his cot without a dummy yet, maybe he just wouldn’t go to sleep? 😭😅

Thanks for all the dummy advice. Funnily enough my son decided himself that he only wanted his dummy for bedtime. Getting there, slowly but surely 😊

• Heart
Hello everyone, not posted in ages! We are taking our 2 year old abroad in August and wondered what the best swimming aid to get? Is a float vest the best option?

Hello everyone, not posted in ages! We are taking our 2 year old abroad in August and wondered what the best swimming aid to get? Is a float vest the best option?
Our 3yo loved her swim vest when we went on hols last year. We got one almost brand new from Vinted so was a good buy!

Does anyone have any advice, my 2 year old had a pretty bad bug last week, lots of vomiting but since then he's barely eating, we've tried all his usual favourites and the only thing we can get him to eat are grapes and half a bowl of porridge a day 😭 it's been since Thursday that he hasn't ate so getting a bit worried about the lack of appetite now. Don't know if there's any tricks to try and get him back on his food?

Hello!

Honestly you’re describing my daughter. She is waking at what I’d call the middle of the night and thinking’s it daytime. Nothing can persuade her to go back down. I’m also having to cuddle her to sleep in the evening which I’ve never had to do. It’s like she’s got a really strong bout of separation anxiety but if I go out she will go to bed fine for my husband. I try and comfort myself that I’m her safe space and she just wants me so doesn’t bother if I’m not there. Maybe it’s the same for your little one xx

• Heart
Does anyone have any advice, my 2 year old had a pretty bad bug last week, lots of vomiting but since then he's barely eating, we've tried all his usual favourites and the only thing we can get him to eat are grapes and half a bowl of porridge a day 😭 it's been since Thursday that he hasn't ate so getting a bit worried about the lack of appetite now. Don't know if there's any tricks to try and get him back on his food?
It’s take us at least a week, if not more, for appetite to return following tummy bugs. As long as he’s drinking lots I’d be led by him until it’s been a week (and he’s not lethargic etc etc).

• Heart
It’s take us at least a week, if not more, for appetite to return following tummy bugs. As long as he’s drinking lots I’d be led by him until it’s been a week (and he’s not lethargic etc etc).
Ah thank you that's reassuring! Hopefully he'll pick back up by the end of the week! He drinks for England so no concerns there!
Trying to work out toddlers is just an absolute minefield 😂

• Heart
When my 2 year old was ill all she would eat was quavers and the dr said as long as she has something let her have as many packs as she wanted and keep her fluids up

• Heart
Anyone got any tips on transitioning from potty to toilet? My little boy just refuses to go on the toilet.

I know it’s normal but the change in my son since he hit 2 years old 😫😫 he was happy independent boy, now our day is mostly crying and tantrums. It’s just so difficult. Nursery have also said he’s much more emotional about toys and demanding certain toys!

• Heart