Toddler Advice Thread #6 Christmas is coming, as are the illnesses

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh my god. Having home schooled my eldest during lockdown…. Never 🙈
I feel for you! I have no experience of it, but I feel like that would have been like doing homeschooling on steroids! Correct me if I’m wrong but did you have to follow the school curriculum and do set homework. I mean I have no real idea of what homeschooling is, I just don’t want my baby to grow up 😭

Toddler gravy will be 3 in July. Some days she naps because she looks knackered other days she doesn't. On the days she does nap it's never for more than an hour and never past 2.30. if she doesn't have a nap she goes to bed at 7pm but she is pretty raging from 4pm until then but recently if she does nap she doesn't go to sleep till 9/10 (not through lack of me trying). Does it get easier to just drop the nap completely? She is like satan re incarnated if she doesn't nap 😂 where is the balance when she looks like she could be doing with one?! But I can't keep doing these 9pm bedtimes 😭

Reactions: 1
Can/will you appeal?
I will appeal but I’m not sure how successful we will be. We’ll be put on the waiting list at least. I’m going to let my feelings settle and then contact our school placement and discuss my concerns and see what they think. I did like it at the time of viewing but then we saw the one we wanted as our first. I had a really good talk about how they’d undergone retraining as they’d seen a big lag with phase development because of Covid. I do have concerns about my daughter starting so I really had hoped that if she went there she would be successful there. We had a tough time at her first preschool and I’m allowing that to cloud my thoughts! I have a parents meeting with her key worker at her forest school Friday so that will help her some clarity.

Do we have to leave this thread when our kids start school? :ROFLMAO:

I'm actually really nervous about mine starting in September. She's on Laxido for constipation and has regular tummy aches that mean she barely touches food for weeks on end. Picked her up from CM yesterday to be told she ate nothing all day - considering she didn't eat breakfast at home either, she went ALL day with nothing in her tummy :cry: her choice as food was offered to her but doesn't make it any easier. We now also have a referral in to Paeds Gastro, wonder if that will take as long as ENT?!
Last year she ate SO much food and was always hungry, but this year her appetite has dropped off a cliff and it really upsets me.

• Heart

I'm actually really nervous about mine starting in September. She's on Laxido for constipation and has regular tummy aches that mean she barely touches food for weeks on end. Picked her up from CM yesterday to be told she ate nothing all day - considering she didn't eat breakfast at home either, she went ALL day with nothing in her tummy :cry: her choice as food was offered to her but doesn't make it any easier. We now also have a referral in to Paeds Gastro, wonder if that will take as long as ENT?!
Last year she ate SO much food and was always hungry, but this year her appetite has dropped off a cliff and it really upsets me.
How much laxido is she on?
One twin here has chronic constipation and has since birth so slightly different to your LO.
we had our first appointment with the gastro team a few weeks ago, we were lucky to get a cancellation.
along with running tests looking into celiac, IBD and other bits and bobs the consultant told us we were severely undertreating the constipation with the laxido and to up to 6 sachets a day if necessary apparently GPs are wary of over prescribing.
have you noticed any triggers in her diet?
we’ve completely eliminated fruit, veg and gluten and have found she’s no where near as constipated but still not completely resolved the issue.

sending you solidarity we’re currently on day 4 of her not eating much as we’re slightly backed up due to a delay in the chemist having her prescription in 🫠

I was thinking that, feel like my daughter is too grown up to be in a toddler thread now 😂 maybe we need a primary school age thread.

I’ve already seen the cost of some of the uniform we need to buy 😬

Sorry I don’t have any advice for the constipation issue 😔

I feel like I probably belong more over here than in the new baby threads now 😅

My little one is almost 15 months old, tantrum cries when he doesn’t get his own way/can’t have something that he shouldn’t, will back + full body arch when you need to put him in high chair/pram/car seat.. he’s fine once you get him in but omg the time it now takes to do something that used to take a few mins !

This is going to get harder before it gets easier isn’t ? 😂😭

My little one is almost 15 months old, tantrum cries when he doesn’t get his own way/can’t have something that he shouldn’t, will back + full body arch when you need to put him in high chair/pram/car seat.. he’s fine once you get him in but omg the time it now takes to do something that used to take a few mins !

Sadly yes 😂 my first was the same but she would have full on crying meltdowns. My boy is the same age and he is a lot more physical so he will slap, bite or headbutt when he’s frustrated. My first never threw herself on the floor in a tantrum but I already know I’m carrying this one out of Tesco screaming soon 🤣 As he gets older he will need more time having things explained to him and not just done to him. It also helps if you can give him a bit of choice with the small things like clothes or cutlery etc
---
Toddler gravy will be 3 in July. Some days she naps because she looks knackered other days she doesn't. On the days she does nap it's never for more than an hour and never past 2.30. if she doesn't have a nap she goes to bed at 7pm but she is pretty raging from 4pm until then but recently if she does nap she doesn't go to sleep till 9/10 (not through lack of me trying). Does it get easier to just drop the nap completely? She is like satan re incarnated if she doesn't nap 😂 where is the balance when she looks like she could be doing with one?! But I can't keep doing these 9pm bedtimes 😭
I think this got missed with all the school talk. My first was 15 months when she went through this phase which was not fun but she’d be in bed asleep by 6pm on the days she didn’t nap. I personally would just cut the nap completely and probably aim for a bit of an early bedtime if possible. Try and implement some quiet time when she’d usually nap just to reset her for the afternoon. It can take some time for them to get used to not having a nap so try and be flexible. If she does have a nap I’d cap that at half an hour to hopefully minimise the late night.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 3

We are nearly 2 and a half, and God bless my soul 🙏🏼

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 2
Exactly the same here but my son had just gone 2 years old. The last few weeks I have started giving him only 30 min nap if he needs it. At the moment he will still be up 8.30/9pm running around like crazy. I think it is worth keeping them up and just suffering the consequence which is an angry child for a few hrs. Better than an angry parent with no time for themselves 😂😖

My son came home from nursery today with a big red bite mark on his leg. They informed me on the phone beforehand but I am just concerned that they said they didn’t see it happen. It was on his upper leg and it is soooo red. Seriously can’t imagine how that even happened and no one saw it. They just have had a good munch on his leg for it to be so red 🤬 I don’t even know what to say. I know they can’t keep an eye on every single child every minute but I am sad today about this

• Heart
Exactly the same here but my son had just gone 2 years old. The last few weeks I have started giving him only 30 min nap if he needs it. At the moment he will still be up 8.30/9pm running around like crazy. I think it is worth keeping them up and just suffering the consequence which is an angry child for a few hrs. Better than an angry parent with no time for themselves 😂😖

My son came home from nursery today with a big red bite mark on his leg. They informed me on the phone beforehand but I am just concerned that they said they didn’t see it happen. It was on his upper leg and it is soooo red. Seriously can’t imagine how that even happened and no one saw it. They just have had a good munch on his leg for it to be so red 🤬 I don’t even know what to say. I know they can’t keep an eye on every single child every minute but I am sad today about this
We’ve experience biting a few times. A friend of mine that works with children said sometimes it’s not necessarily that they haven’t seen it, it’s that they can’t touch them to remove it. So we had a child that did it for a reaction and so when someone asked him to stop, he bit more ☹ hope little one is ok xx

• Heart
We’ve experience biting a few times. A friend of mine that works with children said sometimes it’s not necessarily that they haven’t seen it, it’s that they can’t touch them to remove it. So we had a child that did it for a reaction and so when someone asked him to stop, he bit more ☹ hope little one is ok xx
Thank you 😊. Luckily he is ok. They said he wasn’t upset but how would they know if they didn’t see it. They only noticed when changing his nappy and saw the bite mark😬. Hopefully no more incidents. He’s only been there a few months and this is the first thing sooo I’m not too concerned

Thank you 😊. Luckily he is ok. They said he wasn’t upset but how would they know if they didn’t see it. They only noticed when changing his nappy and saw the bite mark😬. Hopefully no more incidents. He’s only been there a few months and this is the first thing sooo I’m not too concerned
☹☹ it is worrying, completely agree! So glad he’s ok xxx

Tentatively creeping round here. My LO is (nearly) 14 months old and just starting to understand he has a little big of agency.

Tantrum wise he's generally ok, he's a pretty chill dude anyway but over the last week he has taken to flopping dramatically on the ground and pretending to cry when I take my phone out of his reach (I try not to use it around him anyway, but if I need to answer a call or am facetiming my parents I would have it near him).

Nappy changes and clothes changes have been a nightmare since about 7 months so we just soldier on with those. He absolutely hates being laid on his back and has done for a very long time.

• Heart
T
This happened to my daughter four times in the first 5 months of her starting nursery. She was in baby room at the time and I was pretty gutted at the time to be honest. But I didn’t know what else to do? It’s a good nursery and it hasn’t happened since. I know they had words with the other kids mum as it was the same kid three of the times 😓

• Sad