Toddler advice thread #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
this is my toddlers fav bread

View attachment 1874210

if i walk through the door with anything else he just goes ‘No’

also he dropped a pencil before and said ‘bleeping heck’ 😭 i said to my fella ‘dunno where he’s got the heck from cos i say bleeping hell’ 😂
I bloody love the accurate timing though. Can’t remember if I said it or not in this thread but my mum handed my toddler some food and he dropped it and he was like oh for fucks sake. And here we all are trying not to laugh and he doesn’t even notice just picks the food up and goes on his merry way

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Sent mini Pillows back to her childminder today as she's been off sick with a cold/cough that she came down with on Saturday.

She lasted 2.5 hours before I got a call to pick her up as she was 'in floods of tears and wanting her mummy'. Got her home and she's been fine the rest of the day. Tempted to send her back tomorrow as there's actually nothing wrong with her and I need to work 😬 but I know I'll get the same happen tomorrow.

• Sad
Reactions: 1
Sent mini Pillows back to her childminder today as she's been off sick with a cold/cough that she came down with on Saturday.

She lasted 2.5 hours before I got a call to pick her up as she was 'in floods of tears and wanting her mummy'. Got her home and she's been fine the rest of the day. Tempted to send her back tomorrow as there's actually nothing wrong with her and I need to work 😬 but I know I'll get the same happen tomorrow.
I know it’s hard but she can’t just come home cos she’s inconsolable.. she will soon learn that everytime she cries there you’re gunna get her. Stand your ground and ask them not to ring you unless it’s an emergency x

Reactions: 6

A childminder called you to collect her because she was crying and wanted you? Whaaaaaat?! Kids always want their mum. How are you meant to plan anything or get anything done?!

When I got there 15 mins later and picked her up, she didn't look that upset and was actually smiling and chatting to me?
I'm as confused as you all are! :LOL: She's been going to that particular woman (actually, it's two women who do it together) for almost a year, and to a childminder since September 2020, so she's not new to being away from me and she normally loves it there. I've only ever had to pick her up 3 times in almost 2.5 years. So I dunno, maybe that's why they called me, because it was out of character? I'm just annoyed as like I said, she was right as rain once we got home.
I have a doctor's appointment for her tomorrow at 9.45 (to sort out her ongoing constipation problems, bane of my bloody life, she hasn't pooed for a week now) so I'm not going to send her in anyway as it would mean a lot of faffing around, but she's bloody going back next week come hell or high water :ROFLMAO: I suppose I should be thankful that now she's 3, we don't pay because she gets her 30 free hours.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
How much are peoples toddlers talking?
Mine is 22 months (8 weeks early), he doesn’t actually say a lot, at least not consistently. When he does talk it tends to be with two words together e.g all gone, in there, go now etc. But this is really sporadic, like once or twice a day.
He does seem to understand alot more than he says, he recognises items and words. Won’t point them out to me though. Will sometimes follow instructions, though sometimes when we speak to him it’s as if he hasn’t heard us.
He loves books, so we read and sing alot. Lots of role play and me describing things to him. Plus he has 3 other siblings that talk none stop.
Is this typical & Is there anything else I can be doing to help him along?

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Mine is 22 months (8 weeks early), he doesn’t actually say a lot, at least not consistently. When he does talk it tends to be with two words together e.g all gone, in there, go now etc. But this is really sporadic, like once or twice a day.
He does seem to understand alot more than he says, he recognises items and words. Won’t point them out to me though. Will sometimes follow instructions, though sometimes when we speak to him it’s as if he hasn’t heard us.
He loves books, so we read and sing alot. Lots of role play and me describing things to him. Plus he has 3 other siblings that talk none stop.
Sounds normal to me. Every child learns at a different rate.
My youngest is 21 months and only in the past month has she started saying a few more words.
And the past week or so putting 2 words together occasionally. Once every couple of days maybe.
😊

This sounds normal to me. Mine was picking out words from my sentences she liked to repeat (usually the last thing I’d said in that sentence). There are some brilliant speech therapists you can follow on Insta who talk about what to expect from your child’s speech along the way… one is called PeachySpeech her therapy is all done through okay and it’s stuff you can do with your child at home too.

one Other thing is my mum referred my brother to a speech therapist once because he started to talk much later than my sisters but the therapist was very happy with him and said he didn’t need it, it’s just they develop at different times and children have preferences for which skill they work on the most at a point in time.

My son is roughly the same age (21mo) and also the youngest of 4. His speech is nowhere near what I would expect, nor what I have seen with my older kids. He probably Has approx 30 words (not all very clear to outsiders) and the only two word phrases he says are things that go together eg bye bye, tea time, night night etc (so he isn’t putting them together himself, he is parroting them as they are said)
Like your son he understands everything. He can follow commands easily, he knows everything we ask him to do.
It worries me a lot, but I’m assuming it will come. One tip I read recently is to repeat and elaborate eg if he says “heavy” I say “yes, heavy. The car is heavy” I feel a bit like kids’ tv presenter but hey ho 🙈

Mine is 4 in April and only since October / November he’s started speaking actual words. It’s been a horrible journey but I think he’s getting there and he will actually repeat what i say now more than he used to. He just used to smile

Mine was like that at that age, only sort of said odd words but understood a lot. Would follow commands etc. However, her speech has just come out of nowhere the last couple of months I say, she is 27 months. She says four word sentences and copies what I say straight away. Sometimes a bit garbled though. I understand majority of what she says but still the odd word is nonsense.
You'll get there, I was kinda concerned but as I say it's just all come on. She has just started saying her name too! And like in a personal sense too, she will say Hi, it's me *****

My son didn’t start properly talking til he was couple of months over two and then couple of weeks after that he started joining words together and now he doesn’t stop talking and repeats everything lol. Your little one sounds like they are doing ok x

Hi all.

Sorry if TMI but I’m a bit concerned. My 3.5 year old has been potty trained since before they turned 3. Been really good hardly ever any accidents. On the rare occasion has had a pee accident at preschool and they’ve said she’d been distracted playing and just didn’t make it on time. But never any poop accidents.

But then today randomly she has had two poop accidents. She didn’t tell us either time, just smelled it. The first time she was playing in her room and said she was too busy playing. Then the second time was when she was in bed, she had got up for a poo but hadn’t done one (this is a nightly thing to go through a list of needing a pre/poo/drink to delay bedtime anyway so didn’t think much of it). But went in to check on her there and she’d done one in her pull up so had to change her while she was asleep.

They weren’t diarrhoea like or anything. Just a bit worried this has happened twice today. Anyone have any experience of this or advice?

My daught
Hi all.

Sorry if TMI but I’m a bit concerned. My 3.5 year old has been potty trained since before they turned 3. Been really good hardly ever any accidents. On the rare occasion has had a pee accident at preschool and they’ve said she’d been distracted playing and just didn’t make it on time. But never any poop accidents.

But then today randomly she has had two poop accidents. She didn’t tell us either time, just smelled it. The first time she was playing in her room and said she was too busy playing. Then the second time was when she was in bed, she had got up for a poo but hadn’t done one (this is a nightly thing to go through a list of needing a pre/poo/drink to delay bedtime anyway so didn’t think much of it). But went in to check on her there and she’d done one in her pull up so had to change her while she was asleep.

They weren’t diarrhoea like or anything. Just a bit worried this has happened twice today. Anyone have any experience of this or advice?
Mine went through a phase of this. It’s frustrating. I wouldn’t say I worked out the route of why it was happening. For a while it felt like she was waiting for us to put her nappy on before bed so she could do it and it was so frustrating. She did stop though. Sorry I don’t have a fix, they are such a random little creatures sometimes. I don’t know whether it’s part of some kind of regression for them or something, but I feel your pain - and it doesn’t last for ever.

Hi all.

My 4yo (5 next month) has been potty trained for 3 years in March.
She has had quite a few poo accidents.
She still does now.
I'm not really sure why, and I don't have much advice, but I don't think it's anything to be worried about

Thanks for the replies I appreciate them.

Just gently reminded her this morning to tell us if she needs to go, we’ll see what happens. No sign of anything today

Think mine is coming down with a cold AGAIN!!!! He has no appetite when he’s gonna be sick. He doesn’t want his tea he’s only had 1 slice of bread with cheese spread , a biscuit , strawberries and grapes. Better than nothing tho I guess. Just hope he won’t get a temperature etc as I’m working all week now next day off is Sunday

• Heart
Think mine is coming down with a cold AGAIN!!!! He has no appetite when he’s gonna be sick. He doesn’t want his tea he’s only had 1 slice of bread with cheese spread , a biscuit , strawberries and grapes. Better than nothing tho I guess. Just hope he won’t get a temperature etc as I’m working all week now next day off is Sunday
It's relentless isn't it. Just virus after virus :cautious:

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.