Toddler Advice Thread #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone have any tips for getting my three year old to stay still for his flu vaccine nasal spray?! I honestly find injections easier as it's in and out quickly! He hates anything up his nose.
We watched the nhs flu hero’s video on YouTube and honestly my daughter was just so excited to be a flue hero that she’d have let them do anything to her!

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Does anyone have any tips for getting my three year old to stay still for his flu vaccine nasal spray?! I honestly find injections easier as it's in and out quickly! He hates anything up his nose.
My 3yo had his last week, and sat still. If you know he’s going to move, can you put your hand on his head, like you would when they are having their ears and throat checked?

My 3yo had his last week, and sat still. If you know he’s going to move, can you put your hand on his head, like you would when they are having their ears and throat checked?
I will try...it may be that he's better with it now he's older, but last winter it was really tricky!

We watched the nhs flu hero’s video on YouTube and honestly my daughter was just so excited to be a flue hero that she’d have let them do anything to her!
Thank you, I'll give this a try!

Sorry I skim read it. How does he go to sleep does he get out if you sit with him? I know not ideal if you have a baby. I don’t have any other advice cos I only have 1 and I have lost count how many hours I’ve spent beside him getting to him to sleep over the years.
He’s a chatter box he will just jump out or have a yarn with me 😂 he’s been on a stretcher bed at daycare since he was 18 months but at home it’s different I guess!

He’s a chatter box he will just jump out or have a yarn with me 😂 he’s been on a stretcher bed at daycare since he was 18 months but at home it’s different I guess!
Ahh bless. It’s so hard to know what to do for the best isn’t it !!! Mine used to be a pain to get to sleep then one day he just stopped and now goes to bed amazingly. Hope that’s the case for you 🙈

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I'm totally at my wit's end with my 3yo refusing to use the toilet. She's great at using the potty and never has accidents any more but she will not use the toilet.
Today we took away her potty because she keeps promising she'll do a wee on the toilet tomorrow and then when tomorrow comes she refuses and promises to do it the next day. It's been like this for months so we told her we would take the potty away and today we did.
She has just refused to go, withheld her wee then wet herself everywhere at dinner and is still refusing to use the toilet.
I feel like I've tried everything, has anyone else been through this and come out the other side?

• Sad
I'm totally at my wit's end with my 3yo refusing to use the toilet. She's great at using the potty and never has accidents any more but she will not use the toilet.
Today we took away her potty because she keeps promising she'll do a wee on the toilet tomorrow and then when tomorrow comes she refuses and promises to do it the next day. It's been like this for months so we told her we would take the potty away and today we did.
She has just refused to go, withheld her wee then wet herself everywhere at dinner and is still refusing to use the toilet.
I feel like I've tried everything, has anyone else been through this and come out the other side?
I wouldn't take potty away, toilets can be scary for kids. We moved potty into the toilet so that was where he went then we set up the kids toilet seat and steps and one day he just asked to use the big toilet after encouragement. He used the toilet at nursery no problem, about 80% at home but we still leave potty in his room for his morning / night time pee if he wants it. Just want him to feel confident and it's worked well.

Reactions: 4
Has anyone else become a massive Scrooge (not quite the right word but I can't think what I mean) about fireworks? We've been getting fireworks constantly round here for the last few days and I expect it will continue until the weekend. All I can think is 'please eff off, I have a sleeping child' yet I know when I was a kid I bloody loved fireworks! I just have such bad anxiety around her sleep, and I'm so worried a big one will go off and wake her up (I mean, she's not asleep now, but hopefully will be soon). I'm a massive worrier 😭

Reactions: 3
I wouldn't take potty away, toilets can be scary for kids. We moved potty into the toilet so that was where he went then we set up the kids toilet seat and steps and one day he just asked to use the big toilet after encouragement. He used the toilet at nursery no problem, about 80% at home but we still leave potty in his room for his morning / night time pee if he wants it. Just want him to feel confident and it's worked well.
The thing is we've tried all of that. That's what I mean, I just feel so frustrated by it, surely it shouldn't take 3-4 months to use the big toilet after potty training, I know all kids are different but all my friend's kids were using the toilet or a mix of potty and toilet anywhere from between day 1 of potty training and about 3 weeks in.
She won't use the toilet at nursery, won't use it here, won't even entertain the possibility. I'm happy for her to have the potty back for poos for now or for her room but I just felt that without a little push she'd never try it. I don't know, it's probably the wrong approach but I'm just so fed up with it!

• Heart
Has anyone else become a massive Scrooge (not quite the right word but I can't think what I mean) about fireworks? We've been getting fireworks constantly round here for the last few days and I expect it will continue until the weekend. All I can think is 'please eff off, I have a sleeping child' yet I know when I was a kid I bloody loved fireworks! I just have such bad anxiety around her sleep, and I'm so worried a big one will go off and wake her up (I mean, she's not asleep now, but hopefully will be soon). I'm a massive worrier 😭
yes they are so annoying! especially when they go off when he’s dozing off and he’s half asleep and then it wakes him up and he’s like ‘what’s that noise? what’s that noise? what’s that noise?’ 😂 funnily enough when i was typing this a firework went off and my son asked what’s that noise 3 times 😳 😂

The thing is we've tried all of that. That's what I mean, I just feel so frustrated by it, surely it shouldn't take 3-4 months to use the big toilet after potty training, I know all kids are different but all my friend's kids were using the toilet or a mix of potty and toilet anywhere from between day 1 of potty training and about 3 weeks in.
She won't use the toilet at nursery, won't use it here, won't even entertain the possibility. I'm happy for her to have the potty back for poos for now or for her room but I just felt that without a little push she'd never try it. I don't know, it's probably the wrong approach but I'm just so fed up with it!
I don't know how to word it without coming across wrong..
But are you visibly/verbally getting frustrated with her? Even just a change in tone?
(I know how easy it is)

Because she will be picking up on the slightest tone/change in you when she refuses to use the toilet ect and can probably sense the frustration. Which in a toddlers mind... Makes them refuse longer/creates a bigger deal in their head than what it should be

I don't know how to word it without coming across wrong..
But are you visibly/verbally getting frustrated with her? Even just a change in tone?
(I know how easy it is)

Because she will be picking up on the slightest tone/change in you when she refuses to use the toilet ect and can probably sense the frustration. Which in a toddlers mind... Makes them refuse longer/creates a bigger deal in their head than what it should be
Don't worry about coming across wrong, it's a totally valid point!

We try really hard not to, it's entirely possible that she is picking up on it though, she's very perceptive.

I feel like it’s one thing after another. Just need to rant!

Mini A has literally had 3 weeks of rubbish sleep, the worst ever ever ever. Up cos she was scared of the dark, the light was annoying her, woke up cold, too hot, needing a wee, wide awake at 3am for random reasons, now potty training. Had her flu nasal jab on Wednesday. Fine kinda Thursday, unwell Friday and Saturday, ok Sunday. Today she’s got the runs, badly 🙃 nursery rung me this morning and thankfully my dad was able to get her from nursery and take her to his, she was fast asleep when I got her at 5pm. None stop going to the toilet ☹ she’s fine otherwise- eating and drinking ok. Her poo is like mucas though it’s disgusting and stinks like nothing else 🤢🤢 hopefully she’s better soon! We’ve got swimming and a stay and play on Wednesday and a story book thing on Thursday 🙄 really hoping she has a good sleep tonight 😵💫feel sad for her cos she was soooo excited to go to nursery this morning and do the Halloween party and trick or treat after it. Maybe next week will be better 😂😂😂😂

can I ask why you’re so desperate for her to use the toilet? She’s only 3. if she was at school age and not using the toilet I’d be more concerned. Cut yourself both some slack x

I think lothers have said what I would have but equally, if you force it then she won’t do it. Kids won’t bow down to doing stuff if they’re forced or shouted at (I’m learning this😂).. I’d say - forget about it for now. Leave it 3 more months and try again! X

• Sad
Don't worry about coming across wrong, it's a totally valid point!

We try really hard not to, it's entirely possible that she is picking up on it though, she's very perceptive.
I know how easy it is, especially when you're so frustrated and it's something, in our eyes, so simple.
And tbh, I have probably never managed it!
But I've been told it a lot and I've noticed it with my own kids that my slightest change in tone would have a completely different reaction with them.
My 4yo wet herself (not fully but leaked) daily, for over a year. It only stopped around 4 months ago. And it was so frustrating because she's been potty trained since she just turned 2.
And she was doing fine to start with.
It was so hard to keep calm with it though. Especially when it was 7 or 8 times a day sometimes!
One day she just snapped out of it.
It didn't gradually get better, we didn't do anything.
She just stopped 🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 4
Yep Do you have a dog? Cos we do and he barks at fire works unless you’re snuggling up to him. Which I can’t Always do 😂. Thankfully my Lo hasn’t woken up from fireworks yet. But hopefully at the weekend he will be the same. It’s so bloody inconsiderate. I don’t care I HATE fireworks 😂😂

Hi I'm so sorry if this has been discussed recently- I did skim through but there was 39 pages 🤦
Does anybody have a toddler who has suddenly decided they don't want to eat dinner?!
My son is a great eater, not fussy and we have a broad range of meals. We sit and eat together for our evening meals Friday to Monday (Tues, weds and Thurs is just a snack after nursery) but recently he has started refusing to come to the the table - "I'm busy!", Flat out says he doesn't like it and we often resort to airplanes and other games to get him to eat. Other times he will sit and eat with no fuss, uses his cutlery and finishes his plate. Other nights is a huge battle.

I don't want to force him to finish, or use trades like "if you finish your plate you can have x,y,z"
But gah it's so annoying. I know he's hungry, he knows he's hungry so I try to follow his lead and will leave the plate there for an hour and then start the bedtime routine. If he hasn't eaten, he hasn't eaten and he's never woken in the night hungry.

Am I getting worked up over nothing? I don't know if it gets more under my skin because I hate food waste and chucking a whole plate of food in the bin really bothers me. It's just so bizarrely variable that I don't really understand
or can predict it. Has anyone else experienced this and have any tips? I know I should be grateful that he is for the most part a really good eater and he's growing fine but argghhh just bloody eat the lovingly prepared food 🤦🤦🤣🤣

It did take my son about 4 months before he was confidently sitting on the toilet himself. We would offer but he was happier taking himself to the potty rather than trying to go on the big toilet/ having to ask us for help to get on properly. He was scared he would fall in, be flushed away, he used to cry if I took the plug out the bath if his toys were still in there are he was scared they would go down the drain. I would find out why she's scared, reassure, comfort and stop mentioning the toilet for a week. Sounds really stressful, no need for the pressure at all sounds like she's doing really well listening to her body and it's just the toilet that is an issue but it will pass I am sure.

Hi I'm so sorry if this has been discussed recently- I did skim through but there was 39 pages 🤦
Does anybody have a toddler who has suddenly decided they don't want to eat dinner?!
My son is a great eater, not fussy and we have a broad range of meals. We sit and eat together for our evening meals Friday to Monday (Tues, weds and Thurs is just a snack after nursery) but recently he has started refusing to come to the the table - "I'm busy!", Flat out says he doesn't like it and we often resort to airplanes and other games to get him to eat. Other times he will sit and eat with no fuss, uses his cutlery and finishes his plate. Other nights is a huge battle.

I don't want to force him to finish, or use trades like "if you finish your plate you can have x,y,z"
But gah it's so annoying. I know he's hungry, he knows he's hungry so I try to follow his lead and will leave the plate there for an hour and then start the bedtime routine. If he hasn't eaten, he hasn't eaten and he's never woken in the night hungry.

Am I getting worked up over nothing? I don't know if it gets more under my skin because I hate food waste and chucking a whole plate of food in the bin really bothers me. It's just so bizarrely variable that I don't really understand
or can predict it. Has anyone else experienced this and have any tips? I know I should be grateful that he is for the most part a really good eater and he's growing fine but argghhh just bloody eat the lovingly prepared food 🤦🤦🤣🤣
I wouldn’t say mine is a fussy eater but one day he will eat something the next he won’t.. like Thursday my mum made him a cheese sandwich he ate it all. Yesterday he didn’t want it. if he doesn’t like what They’ve given when we go round he’ll get up & go in the lounge 😂. I just leave him I don’t force him and If he’s hungry later on I know he’ll let me know. My dad I always like you should make him sit at the table. This happened yesterday. He didn’t want what they had made and when we got home at 240 he wanted his dinner 😂

do you sometimes not want to eat tho? Do you sometimes buy something and then you’re like actually no I don’t fancy that tonight. I think its really easy as a parent to forget they aren’t little robots& don’t always do what we want them to do. If he hasn’t woken up hungry I wouldn’t worry. I think our own parents drill it into us about fussy eating.. when I was little mine used to make me sit there until I’d eaten it all & I’d be in tears. I don’t want to be like that with mine. If he doesn’t want it that’s fine
Sorry for the essay 😂😂

Reactions: 5
Thank you for all the replies, maybe just all her friends got it super fast? I've just never heard of a child not using the toilet several months after being potty trained but maybe it's more normal than I realised.
The main reason we want her to is for independence and convenience really, she wants to use the loo independently but our downstairs loo which is the one she mostly uses the potty in is tiny and several times she has kicked the full potty over etc which upsets her so it would just be much simpler using the toilet in other respect. And convenience when we're out and about really.

But maybe you're all right and we just need to give it more time? I just worry about school next year too but that's a long way, I'm sure she'll have got it before then.

Thank you for all the replies, maybe just all her friends got it super fast? I've just never heard of a child not using the toilet several months after being potty trained but maybe it's more normal than I realised.
The main reason we want her to is for independence and convenience really, she wants to use the loo independently but our downstairs loo which is the one she mostly uses the potty in is tiny and several times she has kicked the full potty over etc which upsets her so it would just be much simpler using the toilet in other respect. And convenience when we're out and about really.

But maybe you're all right and we just need to give it more time? I just worry about school next year too but that's a long way, I'm sure she'll have got it before then.
don’t worry!! Eventually she will use the toilet. My little girl has sat on the toilet and she will use it but she prefers her potty. I honestly thought she would be in nappies forever and within 4.5 days she’s dry day and night basically. Just remember how kids are- next week she might hate the potty and love the toilet😂

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.