Toddler Advice Thread #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My just turned three year old potty trained in July and is only now transitioning to using the toilet. She wants to use the toilet I’ve not pushed it but she has a bit of anxiety about it so has been holding and having little accidents over the last week while she gets used to it. I think it’s normal for it to take a while but it is stressful!

Reactions: 3
We found she just woke up one day and wanted to use the toilet and went the opposite way of refusing to use the potty. We used to just show her it was safe, lots of taking her with us and making it an enjoyable experience (as best you can), letting her sit on it with the lid closed to get used to the height, washing our hands afterwards, letting her pick a step for in the bathroom to use for the toilet/sink and one day it just clicked. By this time we were probably 3/4 months after she first completely trained x

Reactions: 3
Thank you for all the replies, maybe just all her friends got it super fast? I've just never heard of a child not using the toilet several months after being potty trained but maybe it's more normal than I realised.
The main reason we want her to is for independence and convenience really, she wants to use the loo independently but our downstairs loo which is the one she mostly uses the potty in is tiny and several times she has kicked the full potty over etc which upsets her so it would just be much simpler using the toilet in other respect. And convenience when we're out and about really.

But maybe you're all right and we just need to give it more time? I just worry about school next year too but that's a long way, I'm sure she'll have got it before then.
My daughter took months and months to use the toilet. We were never in a rush though.
Comparing to others will put the added pressure on you though 😊

Hi I'm so sorry if this has been discussed recently- I did skim through but there was 39 pages 🤦
Does anybody have a toddler who has suddenly decided they don't want to eat dinner?!
My son is a great eater, not fussy and we have a broad range of meals. We sit and eat together for our evening meals Friday to Monday (Tues, weds and Thurs is just a snack after nursery) but recently he has started refusing to come to the the table - "I'm busy!", Flat out says he doesn't like it and we often resort to airplanes and other games to get him to eat. Other times he will sit and eat with no fuss, uses his cutlery and finishes his plate. Other nights is a huge battle.

I don't want to force him to finish, or use trades like "if you finish your plate you can have x,y,z"
But gah it's so annoying. I know he's hungry, he knows he's hungry so I try to follow his lead and will leave the plate there for an hour and then start the bedtime routine. If he hasn't eaten, he hasn't eaten and he's never woken in the night hungry.

Am I getting worked up over nothing? I don't know if it gets more under my skin because I hate food waste and chucking a whole plate of food in the bin really bothers me. It's just so bizarrely variable that I don't really understand
or can predict it. Has anyone else experienced this and have any tips? I know I should be grateful that he is for the most part a really good eater and he's growing fine but argghhh just bloody eat the lovingly prepared food 🤦🤦🤣🤣
My 4yo went through a stage of not eating. To the point she was actually making herself sick on her food because she knew she wouldn't have to eat it then.

We've never pushed it though. We have always said that if she doesn't want to eat it, then fine. But she won't be getting anything else and she still has to come and sit at the table with everyone else.
Sometimes she would get bored sitting there and actually eat.
But we paid no attention to her eating, no praises, nothing. And if she didnt eat, we didn't pay attention to it either. Just that she had to be sitting at the table with us.
She snapped out of it after a few months though 😊

Reactions: 1
My daughter took 18 months to walk, yet she cracked potty training in 4.5 days. My friend who’s girl is the same age - walked earlier and took 2 weeks to potty train. Every child is different.

I was watching this thing on tik tok last night and it’s about temperament traits for kids. It’s really interesting, keep meaning to mention it but I forgot.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
1667250608963.png

I saw this the other week. It’s a bit cheesy but makes me feel better 💘. My 3 year old is still in nappies & feel like he’s never gonna get there !! But at nursery they say he can do things the other kids can’t and vice versa he’s not great with speech & in nappies whereas other kids are good at these things whereas he’s good at undressing himself & has shown really good problem solving.

so whenever you’re feeling stressed just remember it’s not a race & all kids are perfect in their own way 💘

• Heart
Reactions: 11
View attachment 1694601
I saw this the other week. It’s a bit cheesy but makes me feel better 💘. My 3 year old is still in nappies & feel like he’s never gonna get there !! But at nursery they say he can do things the other kids can’t and vice versa he’s not great with speech & in nappies whereas other kids are good at these things whereas he’s good at undressing himself & has shown really good problem solving.

so whenever you’re feeling stressed just remember it’s not a race & all kids are perfect in their own way 💘
awwwww sunshine! Thank you for sharing it. It’s lovely quote and it is so true💖💖

• Heart
Hi I'm so sorry if this has been discussed recently- I did skim through but there was 39 pages 🤦
Does anybody have a toddler who has suddenly decided they don't want to eat dinner?!
My son is a great eater, not fussy and we have a broad range of meals. We sit and eat together for our evening meals Friday to Monday (Tues, weds and Thurs is just a snack after nursery) but recently he has started refusing to come to the the table - "I'm busy!", Flat out says he doesn't like it and we often resort to airplanes and other games to get him to eat. Other times he will sit and eat with no fuss, uses his cutlery and finishes his plate. Other nights is a huge battle.

I don't want to force him to finish, or use trades like "if you finish your plate you can have x,y,z"
But gah it's so annoying. I know he's hungry, he knows he's hungry so I try to follow his lead and will leave the plate there for an hour and then start the bedtime routine. If he hasn't eaten, he hasn't eaten and he's never woken in the night hungry.

Am I getting worked up over nothing? I don't know if it gets more under my skin because I hate food waste and chucking a whole plate of food in the bin really bothers me. It's just so bizarrely variable that I don't really understand
or can predict it. Has anyone else experienced this and have any tips? I know I should be grateful that he is for the most part a really good eater and he's growing fine but argghhh just bloody eat the lovingly prepared food 🤦🤦🤣🤣
I ask my 3yo what he wants for dinner. Everyday I get ‘I don’t like dinner’ I’ve honestly given up and just leave dinner on the table for him to come back to. Which he does most of the time

We’ve experienced the same. Somethings that have worked (and not every time may I add). Is not calling it dinner, e.g would you like to come have some food. Cause he would say no dinner without even knowing what was on the table… or having help prepping the dinner, even if it’s just helping dish up on to their plate. Again doesn’t work every time cause well toddlers lol

So we had a few proper nights sleep. But this morning mini stimpii decided 3.50 was the right time to start the day 😭

• Sad
  • Wow
Mine has now decided he doesn’t want what I’ve made for tea and was pushing me into the kitchen but I don’t know what he wants 😪

Hi all, never commented on here but I feel like I need advice more than ever,I have a 15 month who has major separation anxiety and a just turned 3 year old who now just screams at bedtime, he's been in a bed for about 4 months but screams if the door is closed so we keep it slightly open which isn't a problem, but now he's decided to scream and fall asleep on the floor next to the gate on his door.

My little girl screams herself to sleep she hates it when I leave the room she's awake around 5am no matter what time she goes to bed, both just don't sleep very well.

I'm feeling so fed up at the moment my husband is always at work so barely sees them, I just feel abit blerugh of constantly being whinged at all day, being touched 24/7 and walking round like a zombie.

Probably no point to this post just so so fed up I feel like I've lost who I am being a mum is all I am blerughhhhh what is wrong with me

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 6
Hi all, never commented on here but I feel like I need advice more than ever,I have a 15 month who has major separation anxiety and a just turned 3 year old who now just screams at bedtime, he's been in a bed for about 4 months but screams if the door is closed so we keep it slightly open which isn't a problem, but now he's decided to scream and fall asleep on the floor next to the gate on his door.

My little girl screams herself to sleep she hates it when I leave the room she's awake around 5am no matter what time she goes to bed, both just don't sleep very well.

I'm feeling so fed up at the moment my husband is always at work so barely sees them, I just feel abit blerugh of constantly being whinged at all day, being touched 24/7 and walking round like a zombie.

Probably no point to this post just so so fed up I feel like I've lost who I am being a mum is all I am blerughhhhh what is wrong with me
I used a lady called baby sleep made simple. There’s a free course which offers some useful tips on settling your children. I’ve used her for both of mine ( 2 yo and 4 month old). They both sleep so well now.

Mines 18 months and still doesn’t sleep. Health visitor said to replace his night wakings milk with water and he’d sleep through. No such luck, he loves the water.
At a loss now 😂. Falls asleep fine but wakes regular to comfort water.

My 3yo dropped his naps months ago and has been totally fine. Before the clocks changed he was going to sleep about 7pm and sometimes sleeping til 7:30-8am. During the October holidays his best friend wasn’t at nursery as she is term time. He gets quite upset when she’s not there and as nursery was quieter they started putting naps back into his routine for some reason. Some days he would nap at nursery even though he was up late in the morning. It just didn’t make sense! It seemed to stop once his friend came back, but a couple of days ago they said they tried to put him down for a nap but he didn’t want to. I kinda want to tell them to just stop trying for naps as it’s not his routine but I don’t want to be pushy?

My 3yo dropped his naps months ago and has been totally fine. Before the clocks changed he was going to sleep about 7pm and sometimes sleeping til 7:30-8am. During the October holidays his best friend wasn’t at nursery as she is term time. He gets quite upset when she’s not there and as nursery was quieter they started putting naps back into his routine for some reason. Some days he would nap at nursery even though he was up late in the morning. It just didn’t make sense! It seemed to stop once his friend came back, but a couple of days ago they said they tried to put him down for a nap but he didn’t want to. I kinda want to tell them to just stop trying for naps as it’s not his routine but I don’t want to be pushy?
They won't know if you don't tell them 😊
It won't be pushy 😊
They'll be continuing because they think that's your routine

• Heart
Reactions: 4
They won't know if you don't tell them 😊
It won't be pushy 😊
They'll be continuing because they think that's your routine
thanks, I did write in his 'all about me' forms though and we have mentioned in the passing he doesn't have naps anymore. I don't know how I feel about just telling them to stop putting him down for naps, lol

Does he sleep ok at night if he naps? My 3 year old daughter would be up til midnight if she had a nap now so I would absolutely put a stop to that. It’s not being pushy, and at 3 I think it’s pretty normal for them to not nap.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Does he sleep ok at night if he naps? My 3 year old daughter would be up til midnight if she had a nap now so I would absolutely put a stop to that. It’s not being pushy, and at 3 I think it’s pretty normal for them to not nap.
Not really! It's at least 8.30pm until he goes to sleep, which after a long day at work can be quite difficult :censored:

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.