Toddler Advice Thread #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm not really worried currently because I know they all develop different. I just randomly thought the other day that I don't even know when they're supposed to start talking so I googled it today.

She doesn't say anything clear apart from "Bubble" and "Ball" 😂 and "Yup" she says all the time 😂
She tries to say "Cat" and just comes out with "t".
Bye is "Baaaaa"
And that's about it really.

She does have really good understanding of words though
I just went back through old videos to see and I think my son was about the same. But oh my goodness I forgot how much I love that age. Before all the intense tantrums and you can see their little personality starting to really come in

Reactions: 2
I just went back through old videos to see and I think my son was about the same. But oh my goodness I forgot how much I love that age. Before all the intense tantrums and you can see their little personality starting to really come in
I love their little jibberish talking they do 😂 as if they really know what they're saying and you're supposed to understand 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Im over parenting today. 😢 My 16 month old son is amazing but I’m finding social media toxic. I’m comparing everything other kids his age are doing. His speech isn’t clear and he’s never said mama. (I am a single parent).

He says approx 10 words (albeit in his babble voice) and I’m just constantly worried something is wrong. Why doesn’t he come to me and call me mama?

Ridiculous rant sorry guys lol I’m just bogged down with other life stresses at the moment and just fed up I guess. I break the bones of my arse 24/7 for this kid and he doesn’t even say my name.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Im over parenting today. 😢 My 16 month old son is amazing but I’m finding social media toxic. I’m comparing everything other kids his age are doing. His speech isn’t clear and he’s never said mama. (I am a single parent).

He says approx 10 words (albeit in his babble voice) and I’m just constantly worried something is wrong. Why doesn’t he come to me and call me mama?

Ridiculous rant sorry guys lol I’m just bogged down with other life stresses at the moment and just fed up I guess. I break the bones of my arse 24/7 for this kid and he doesn’t even say my name.
None of my kids have ever said mama. The older 3 just said mummy, but it wouldn’t have been one of their early words. My 18mo can make the mum-meee noises if prompted, but doesn’t actually use it to call me, so please don’t worry that it’s not normal - it is.
That said, it sounds like you’re knackered at the minute and running on empty. Have you any help available that could give you a break to have a few moments breather? Being a mum is hard work, and some times are much harder than others and feel like wading through treacle each day

Reactions: 4
None of my kids have ever said mama. The older 3 just said mummy, but it wouldn’t have been one of their early words. My 18mo can make the mum-meee noises if prompted, but doesn’t actually use it to call me, so please don’t worry that it’s not normal - it is.
That said, it sounds like you’re knackered at the minute and running on empty. Have you any help available that could give you a break to have a few moments breather? Being a mum is hard work, and some times are much harder than others and feel like wading through treacle each day
That’s put my mind at rest a bit, thank you. Unfortunately no, I don’t have anyone. Well, I do have a family, but none that have ever offered to come and lend a hand. So I am genuinely used to just cracking on with it. He sleeps well so I do get a nice break and is in bed by 6pm for 13 hours so I get an evening to myself to cook a meal and a shower.
I’ve just got some pretty tit health things going on at the minute and I’m unable to go to as many baby groups we were going to right now. But that won’t be forever
I think general exhaustion is so common isn’t it. That’s why I tend to stay off social media to be honest because there’s always that one kid the same age as yours reading Shakespeare or something 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 5

16 months is still young to be saying such things. Please don’t worry. And also do not Google or compare. Every child is different. They all speak at different ages. He’ll say it one day and then won’t stop and you’ll be wishing he didn’t say it 😂
My son only started calling my mummy like last year. And he’s 3 😂

That’s put my mind at rest a bit, thank you. Unfortunately no, I don’t have anyone. Well, I do have a family, but none that have ever offered to come and lend a hand. So I am genuinely used to just cracking on with it. He sleeps well so I do get a nice break and is in bed by 6pm for 13 hours so I get an evening to myself to cook a meal and a shower.
I’ve just got some pretty tit health things going on at the minute and I’m unable to go to as many baby groups we were going to right now. But that won’t be forever
I think general exhaustion is so common isn’t it. That’s why I tend to stay off social media to be honest because there’s always that one kid the same age as yours reading Shakespeare or something 😂
Yours isn’t reading Shakespeare?! 😬😬🤣 I know, my thing with my 18mo is eating. He is the poorest eater we’ve had, and someone I follow on instagram has a child a few months who eats everything and loads of it, and makes me feel awful.

Your son does more than my 18 month old 😊
She says nothing clear really. She can only really say 3 words anyway.
She never says mama and certainly never calls me it.

As I posted yesterday, they all develop at such different stages. All my kids have developed so different 😊

My nearly 3 year old didn’t say momma until 18/19 months old and now she won’t stop talking 😂even at her 2 year check I said I was worried about her speech and by 2 year 4months she was saying so many words and talking in 3-4 word sentences. Please don’t worry - health professionals don’t even refer your child to have speech therapy unless they’re fully considered mute with nothing else wrong with them until they’re 4 years (from talking to a friend previously who went through it with her child who just didn’t want to speak). I was worried and now I can’t shut her up😂🥰

just need some advice myself please —

Whenever anybody new or a stranger talks or looks at mini A she screams and cries like I don’t know what. Sometimes she does it at home with people she knows, or even if I look at her, anyone got any advice. I don’t think it’s normal behaviour at all..

My nearly 3 year old didn’t say momma until 18/19 months old and now she won’t stop talking 😂even at her 2 year check I said I was worried about her speech and by 2 year 4months she was saying so many words and talking in 3-4 word sentences. Please don’t worry - health professionals don’t even refer your child to have speech therapy unless they’re fully considered mute with nothing else wrong with them until they’re 4 years (from talking to a friend previously who went through it with her child who just didn’t want to speak). I was worried and now I can’t shut her up😂🥰

just need some advice myself please —

Whenever anybody new or a stranger talks or looks at mini A she screams and cries like I don’t know what. Sometimes she does it at home with people she knows, or even if I look at her, anyone got any advice. I don’t think it’s normal behaviour at all..
It's definitley normal behaviour 😊
Everleigh does it anyway and always has (then started waving at people saying hi and then screams when they look or talk to her 🙃)
But all my kids have gone through that stage at some point!
It's annoying but they did eventually snap out of it. My 4yo will talk to anyone and everyone now. She was one of the worst. Especially men.

• Haha
@swimming my 2.5 yo never said mama or dada, he barely said a word until about 18 months and now he says Mummy and Daddy. I remember crying to my HV at his one year check because my friends babies were babbling and saying mama and dada and he never did. His first word was car 🥲 then Daddy then eventually Mummy, now he doesn’t stop talking! They are all so different, try not to worry yourself xx

Thank you so much to all of you who reached out there. Xx
its hard isn’t it to get gripped into the art of comparison when you see other children doing things.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
It's definitley normal behaviour 😊
Everleigh does it anyway and always has (then started waving at people saying hi and then screams when they look or talk to her 🙃)
But all my kids have gone through that stage at some point!
It's annoying but they did eventually snap out of it. My 4yo will talk to anyone and everyone now. She was one of the worst. Especially men.
thank you xxxx

@swimming I love coming on this thread for advice because it’s always the truth and no BS🥰

How do I get a 2.5yr old to stay in their own bed?! No problems going to bed, never had a problem before, but every single night for the past month we are woken up by little footsteps and ends up spending the night in with OH and me. We get no bed and i’m waking up up so achey 😅

I’ve said we can choose new bedding which doesn’t work. I’ve said father christmas is watching through the monitor and that doesn’t work. He reckons his bed is broke (it isn’t) and today when I said I fixed it he went crazy lol. If we take him back to his bed during the night he just screams for mummy and daddy’s bed and it really isn’t worth the fight but I don’t know what to do 😔😴

• Heart
How do I get a 2.5yr old to stay in their own bed?! No problems going to bed, never had a problem before, but every single night for the past month we are woken up by little footsteps and ends up spending the night in with OH and me. We get no bed and i’m waking up up so achey 😅

I’ve said we can choose new bedding which doesn’t work. I’ve said father christmas is watching through the monitor and that doesn’t work. He reckons his bed is broke (it isn’t) and today when I said I fixed it he went crazy lol. If we take him back to his bed during the night he just screams for mummy and daddy’s bed and it really isn’t worth the fight but I don’t know what to do 😔😴
We are going through the same thing. 3 yo says it’s scary. Really trying hard to put him back, but I’m exhausted, so let him sneak in.
I got the gro clock, but he’s scared of it, and I can’t get it to work 😭

Gro clock 😊

It is so hard when they don’t even understand what’s wrong themselves really, and definitely don’t really know how to explain it to us.
Have you a toddler bed? Would it fit in to your room and you could let him sleep in the room (but not your bed) for a while until this passes? I am very much of the school of thought that trying to fight them to sleep, or sleep somewhere, is not easy for anyone as often doesn’t work. If you can support him through - while setting your own boundaries - it will be a much easier situation to navigate. It is so dependent on your situation though, and what you feel comfortable doing. We have double beds for our toddlers so we can sleep with them, but in their own room, until they are ready to sleep all night in there alone.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
any tips on saying ‘no’ and being listened to?!
I work part time so spend most of the time with my 18 month old compared to her dad who works full time. she listens to him when he tells her not to do something and just gives me a dirty look and carries on 😂 am guessing this is because she spends more time with me

EG today she was jumping up and down on the sofa and throwing herself around and was going to get hurt. I told her to stop and she was laughing. I then also removed her and put her on the floor quietly (cue climbing back up and trying to do it again) she literally completely ignores me. if her dad told her to stop she would stop. I just feel completely powerless which is pathetic, because I’m the adult, but I’m a bit of a wimp at the best of times but don’t want to turn into one of these parents who lets their kids get away with anything!

I know she’s super young to understand not to do stuff but when it’s potentially dangerous / she might get hurt I need a way of getting her to take some notice. Does anyone have any tips or do you just have to distract them at this age?

• Heart
Reactions: 4
any tips on saying ‘no’ and being listened to?!
I work part time so spend most of the time with my 18 month old compared to her dad who works full time. she listens to him when he tells her not to do something and just gives me a dirty look and carries on 😂 am guessing this is because she spends more time with me

EG today she was jumping up and down on the sofa and throwing herself around and was going to get hurt. I told her to stop and she was laughing. I then also removed her and put her on the floor quietly (cue climbing back up and trying to do it again) she literally completely ignores me. if her dad told her to stop she would stop. I just feel completely powerless which is pathetic, because I’m the adult, but I’m a bit of a wimp at the best of times but don’t want to turn into one of these parents who lets their kids get away with anything!

I know she’s super young to understand not to do stuff but when it’s potentially dangerous / she might get hurt I need a way of getting her to take some notice. Does anyone have any tips or do you just have to distract them at this age?
At this age they're massively testing their boundaries.
It is a case of just being persistent. Redirecting them.
So with the jumping "No you can't do that. But we can do this instead..."
And repeat.
It takes a lot of patience.

My daughter is 18 months too and my "No" is just responded to with a cheeky laugh.
I have to repeat the no and redirect.
And usually repeat 100 times 🙃😂

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.