Toddler Advice Thread #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Anyone on here got any tips for a medicine refuser :ROFLMAO:

I've posted on here before but my daughter really does not like taking medicine, even Calpol. She used to be fab, would let you give it to her, or would take it herself. But now she flat out refuses and if we try to make her take it, she just vomits. She's been saying for the last night or two that her ear is sore. She's recently had a cold so we were thinking maybe an ear infection? But she just refuses to take Calpol, yet is in so much pain as she just whines and cries all day. It's breaking my heart. I can try and hide it in juices and things during the day, but she could really do with a dose just before bed, but she just won't take it. When she sees the syringe she just starts gagging and making herself sick. 😬 Will it get better?
I’ve no advice cos this is me and my child!!! She’s nearly 3 and has always hated calpol 😭😭😭 I dread having to give it to her!!!!

Anyone on here got any tips for a medicine refuser :ROFLMAO:

I've posted on here before but my daughter really does not like taking medicine, even Calpol. She used to be fab, would let you give it to her, or would take it herself. But now she flat out refuses and if we try to make her take it, she just vomits. She's been saying for the last night or two that her ear is sore. She's recently had a cold so we were thinking maybe an ear infection? But she just refuses to take Calpol, yet is in so much pain as she just whines and cries all day. It's breaking my heart. I can try and hide it in juices and things during the day, but she could really do with a dose just before bed, but she just won't take it. When she sees the syringe she just starts gagging and making herself sick. 😬 Will it get better?
My kid was good with medicine until he had some awful antibiotics that made him spew. Not we have to disguise medication in a concoction of yoghurt and peanut butter 😬 not so helpful in the middle of the night we have to opt to wrestling to get it in those times 😩 (2 years old)

Our favourite medicine is the Asda liquid paracetamol as the box has a picture of a teddy bear on the front, he will happily take it himself with a syringe or spoon now (most of the time).

I've seen people put sprinkles on calpol when on a spoon to make it more appealing... passing off as a unicorn potion. Sometimes after refusing I would leave the syringe close by and he will pick it up and take it himself rather than being pressured into it by me. I've also taken some myself as a way of encouraging him too 😊

Reactions: 1
Hi all

just wanting a little bit of advice..

So mini A has been waking up early (5:45am) and she’s stopped napping.. she’s going to bed at 7.30pm and she’s tired. Would putting her to bed abit earlier work when she’s up early? I’m just at a loss😳xxx

Hi all

So mini A has been waking up early (5:45am) and she’s stopped napping.. she’s going to bed at 7.30pm and she’s tired. Would putting her to bed abit earlier work when she’s up early? I’m just at a loss😳xxx
We've always done a 6pm bedtime until they're around 4.
It's always worked for us personally and if anything, they tend to sleep longer/better because they're not over tired.
My 1 and a half year old wakes up anywhere between 4.30 and 5.30am. We tried later bedtimes and it just results in worse night/even earlier mornings.

It's worth a try at least 😊

Reactions: 2
We've always done a 6pm bedtime until they're around 4.
It's always worked for us personally and if anything, they tend to sleep longer/better because they're not over tired.
My 1 and a half year old wakes up anywhere between 4.30 and 5.30am. We tried later bedtimes and it just results in worse night/even earlier mornings.

It's worth a try at least 😊
thank you, I’ll get her dad to try 7:15pm as she’s there tonight x

Hi all

We are going through the same thing apart from slightly later at 6am. I know this isn’t a bad time, but he would normally go until 7ish. He has had the most dreadful cough the last couple of weeks, which I think wakes him and the whole house 🫠

Hi all

Mine goes to bed between 630 and 7. Usually around 640pm he’s fast asleep. And he wakes up between 615 & 7am. I start bedtime routine at 6ish. He’s so tired after nursery it’s the only way.

Mini A woke up at 7am today her dad said so it worked. I think I’m gunna try 7.15pm from now on and see how it works, I guess by time shes fully asleep it’s 7.30pm anyway! Thanks xx

• Heart
My little boy is 14 months and he's a brilliant sleeper when he's at home. However, when i go to my mums ( we go over when I need childcare, as my job involves unsociable hours and so more often than not, I need childcare over night) he doesn't sleep. Iv tried to ensure he's got the same cot, and we ensure the same night routine but all he does is cry!!! He's been visiting my mums with me since a new born and so it's not an unfamiliar room or house, he's very comfortable there and when he was newborn he slept well there at night fine.
Any ideas what to do to try and get him to settle there more?

• Heart
My little boy is 14 months and he's a brilliant sleeper when he's at home. However, when i go to my mums ( we go over when I need childcare, as my job involves unsociable hours and so more often than not, I need childcare over night) he doesn't sleep. Iv tried to ensure he's got the same cot, and we ensure the same night routine but all he does is cry!!! He's been visiting my mums with me since a new born and so it's not an unfamiliar room or house, he's very comfortable there and when he was newborn he slept well there at night fine.
Any ideas what to do to try and get him to settle there more?
My daughter was the same for naps (she’d not slept anywhere else until she was 1.5 years old) and the odd time we would go to my dads & she would nap there, she would scream the house down and eventually drift off. Just bare with it! He can probably sense it’s different environment, can you take something that smells of you? Even now I take mini As duvet and pillow whenever we go anywhere overnight so it’s like home, but of course now she knows it’s not “home” but she’s got some home comforts. It’ll get easier as he gets older x

My daughter was the same for naps (she’d not slept anywhere else until she was 1.5 years old) and the odd time we would go to my dads & she would nap there, she would scream the house down and eventually drift off. Just bare with it! He can probably sense it’s different environment, can you take something that smells of you? Even now I take mini As duvet and pillow whenever we go anywhere overnight so it’s like home, but of course now she knows it’s not “home” but she’s got some home comforts. It’ll get easier as he gets older x
Thanks so much for this. He's been going to mums since a little tiny baby, and because my mum lives an hour away, sometimes I stay over with him. On those occasions I'm in my old room and he's in his cot in the same room, and yet he still cries with being in his cot even knowing I'm in the room. The cot is the exact same one as at home so I really feel like iv hit a brick wall as I don't know how to settle him at all. I don't know what it is! I will try leaving something that smells of me and see if that works, but he's getting worse and worse and I really need to be able to leave him there over night on the days/ nights I go to work. Thanks so much for this advice, I really appreciate it. Xx

• Heart
i have a 13 month old and she has recently decided she wants to wake up at around 4am and i mean she wants to get up and play etc and then wants to go back to sleep around 6am, i'm literally losing the will to live especially because i have to go to work every morning😂 anyone else been through this...any advise?

i have a 13 month old and she has recently decided she wants to wake up at around 4am and i mean she wants to get up and play etc and then wants to go back to sleep around 6am, i'm literally losing the will to live especially because i have to go to work every morning😂 anyone else been through this...any advise?
I went through every sleep regression possible. Just leave them too it! I know it’s hard but a lot of development happens overnight, there isn’t anything you can do apart from offer milk and try and resettle them to sleep! Hope it passes soon x

I went through every sleep regression possible. Just leave them too it! I know it’s hard but a lot of development happens overnight, there isn’t anything you can do apart from offer milk and try and resettle them to sleep! Hope it passes soon x
thanks i'm glad i'm not alone, just when you think you've got them into a good routine and then BAM something new happens lol

thanks i'm glad i'm not alone, just when you think you've got them into a good routine and then BAM something new happens lol
i know how it feels - we had teething every month and sleep regressions! The first 2 years are the hardest I think. My daughter is nearly 3 and I find it so much easier now at night :) once she goes to sleep at 7:15pm that’s it till 7ish! 🥳

• Heart
Not really toddler as she's 4 and I don't know if there's any advice really 😂 more so just a small rant.

4yo came out of school yesterday crying, saying a certain child hit her.
This is the 3rd time in a few weeks now that she's said he's hit her. Same exact child.

When she came out crying yesterday, her teacher said she'd deal with it tomorrow as he'd already gone home.

I've spoke to the teacher this morning saying she was a bit worried to come today as it's the 3rd time she's come home and said he's hit her.

The teacher basically said my 4yo is very anxious and any time anyone bops into her if they're being a bit over excited, she cries and he doesn't sit near her on the mat when waiting to come home.
Now, she is quite anxious and she is quite emotional.
However, she's saying it happens when any kid knocks into her. But my 4yo is saying it's the same child every time that's hit her.
She hasn't mentioned anyone else.

I don't know. I know I don't see what goes on in the classroom but she's only ever mentioned this 1 child hitting her.
It felt a little bit like she was just dismissing it because she's emotional.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
Not really toddler as she's 4 and I don't know if there's any advice really 😂 more so just a small rant.

This is the 3rd time in a few weeks now that she's said he's hit her. Same exact child.

When she came out crying yesterday, her teacher said she'd deal with it tomorrow as he'd already gone home.

I've spoke to the teacher this morning saying she was a bit worried to come today as it's the 3rd time she's come home and said he's hit her.

The teacher basically said my 4yo is very anxious and any time anyone bops into her if they're being a bit over excited, she cries and he doesn't sit near her on the mat when waiting to come home.
However, she's saying it happens when any kid knocks into her. But my 4yo is saying it's the same child every time that's hit her.

I don't know. I know I don't see what goes on in the classroom but she's only ever mentioned this 1 child hitting her.
Aw your poor little girl! I think if your daughter is saying it’s the same child everytime hitting her then I’d keep pushing at the teacher for answers and for her to not dismiss. If it’s happened a few times and it’s the same child it’s definitely not right!

Reactions: 3

I’d be gutted if my child was coming home saying someone was hurting them and the teacher was dismissing it. She’s obviously upset that this child is hurting her, whether it’s an accident or on purpose.
I had the same problem with Kid bean in reception, however the teachers were on it, knew it was happening and kept him away from my boy
I would definitely ask them to keep an eye on it, and it it still happens, call a meeting with the teacher and tell them you don’t appreciate them dismissing your worries

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I’d be gutted if my child was coming home saying someone was hurting them and the teacher was dismissing it. She’s obviously upset that this child is hurting her, whether it’s an accident or on purpose.
I had the same problem with Kid bean in reception, however the teachers were on it, knew it was happening and kept him away from my boy
I would definitely ask them to keep an eye on it, and it it still happens, call a meeting with the teacher and tell them you don’t appreciate them dismissing your worries
Exactly.
She is like it at home, Everleigh will bump into her and she'll get upset.
But it's more so the fact that she's apparently like it when anyone bumps into her at school yet she's only specifically said this 1 child has hit her. She's never mentioned any other child. Just him.

When she gets upset about someone knocking into her, even at home, she gets upset, but she never specifically says they hit her, unless they actually have!

If it happens again, she has 2 teachers, think ill speak to the other one.
Absolutely cannot stand the one I spoke to today 😂 she's so patronising😂

Last week they sent everyone's p.e kits back home because people's weren't named. Ours were.
But I didn't bring it back the next day as she didn't have p.e until Friday and she looked me up and down and went "Ummm Where's her p.e kit mum?"
I said, she doesn't have p.e until Friday? So I'll bring it back then.
She went "Well. Make sure you do or she won't be doing p.e"
Alright mate. I'm an adult I'm perfectly capable thanks.

• Wow
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.