Toddler Advice Thread #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone have any advice to help pronounce words correctly? My 2.5yo is a great talker and never shuts up but he pronounces things so wrong šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø so for ā€œbusā€ he will say ā€œjusā€ and and ā€œnnā€ sounds in words he will say as an eff. Thereā€™s plenty more I just canā€™t think of the top of my head! Will this just improve in time? It doesnā€™t worry me in the slightest except a family member commented on his speech and said heā€™s behind and itā€™s really bothered me! šŸ˜’

• Wow
Reactions: 1
Does anyone have any advice to help pronounce words correctly? My 2.5yo is a great talker and never shuts up but he pronounces things so wrong šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø so for ā€œbusā€ he will say ā€œjusā€ and and ā€œnnā€ sounds in words he will say as an eff. Thereā€™s plenty more I just canā€™t think of the top of my head! Will this just improve in time? It doesnā€™t worry me in the slightest except a family member commented on his speech and said heā€™s behind and itā€™s really bothered me! šŸ˜’
It all comes in time šŸ˜Š just makes sure your own pronunciation is OTT at times (eg if he says ā€œlook there is a jusā€, you say ā€œyes a bus, youā€™re right!ā€ The chart below shows b and n come typically between 2 and 3, so sounds like he is right on track

22E28892-5474-4979-897B-E96D51273B57.png

• Heart
Reactions: 5
My 2.5yo isnā€™t very well, he was up all last night being sick with a fever , he wouldnā€™t have any water or calpol at the time but heā€™s woke up now and is still really warm. Iā€™ve managed to get calpol down him (it took me pretending to give some to Thomas the tank engine literally 20 times first) but he wonā€™t have any water! Usually he loves water but he keeps saying no and wincing and keeps asking for milk. Is this okay?? Iā€™m probs paranoid just donā€™t want him to dehydrate

• Heart
Reactions: 2
My 2.5yo isnā€™t very well, he was up all last night being sick with a fever , he wouldnā€™t have any water or calpol at the time but heā€™s woke up now and is still really warm. Iā€™ve managed to get calpol down him (it took me pretending to give some to Thomas the tank engine literally 20 times first) but he wonā€™t have any water! Usually he loves water but he keeps saying no and wincing and keeps asking for milk. Is this okay?? Iā€™m probs paranoid just donā€™t want him to dehydrate
If he's asking for milk, I'd give him milk šŸ˜Š
Hopefully he'll keep it down.
That will hydrate him too šŸ˜Š

• Heart
Reactions: 3
If itā€™s not a bug, then I would say to give him some milk. One of mine was always sick when they had a temp. That was their way of bringing their temps down and regulate it

Just lookng for reassurance and if anyone else has experienced similiar.

My 2.5yo started back at nursery 3x a weeks two weeks ago after being off for the summer. He picked up a nasty cold last week and still has it. Fr the past week at least twice a day he says "I'm tired.". I then ask him if he wants to go to sleep, he says "no, not tired now!", but will then say he's tired a few hours later. He never did this during the summer so wondering if its due to being poorly/back at nursery?

He's eating fine - he literally is hungry all the time as usual and is his happy self. He doesn't say he's tired at nursery, just when he's at home and weekends. I'm just massively health anxious and catastrophizing that something is wrong with him because of this.

Also, for reference he is a crap sleeper. Goes to bed at 8pm - I've tried earlier but he won't have it, and then wakes up at 12 to come into our bed and screams every time we put him back in his bed so he has constant broken sleep.

Has anybody else had similair? I sound crazy, I know!

My 2.5yo started back at nursery 3x a weeks two weeks ago after being off for the summer. He picked up a nasty cold last week and still has it. Fr the past week at least twice a day he says "I'm tired.". I then ask him if he wants to go to sleep, he says "no, not tired now!", but will then say he's tired a few hours later. He never did this during the summer so wondering if its due to being poorly/back at nursery?

He's eating fine - he literally is hungry all the time as usual and is his happy self. He doesn't say he's tired at nursery, just when he's at home and weekends. I'm just massively health anxious and catastrophizing that something is wrong with him because of this.

Also, for reference he is a crap sleeper. Goes to bed at 8pm - I've tried earlier but he won't have it, and then wakes up at 12 to come into our bed and screams every time we put him back in his bed so he has constant broken sleep.

Not crazy!! T Bean tells me heā€™s tired. He even mimics a yawn. And when I ask him if heā€™s tired, he says yes, but when I ask him if he wants to go to bed (2 seconds later) he says no šŸ« 
He has also been full of cold after being back to preschool and has woken us up nearly eatery night for about 10 nights with this horrendous (not covid!) cough. He doesnā€™t really cough in the day, just at night and in the morning. Although, Iā€™m the same when it comes to colds. Fine during the day, floored in the morning/evening

So, in short, you are either not crazy, or we both are šŸ˜‚

• Heart
Not crazy!! T Bean tells me heā€™s tired. He even mimics a yawn. And when I ask him if heā€™s tired, he says yes, but when I ask him if he wants to go to bed (2 seconds later) he says no šŸ« 
He has also been full of cold after being back to preschool and has woken us up nearly eatery night for about 10 nights with this horrendous (not covid!) cough. He doesnā€™t really cough in the day, just at night and in the morning. Although, Iā€™m the same when it comes to colds. Fine during the day, floored in the morning/evening

So, in short, you are either not crazy, or we both are šŸ˜‚
We have yawn mimicking here too haha!! Thanks lovely, seems fairly normal then! Onto the next thing to worry about now :LOL:

• Haha

I second @Jellybean093 mine has recently learned the word ā€œexhaustedā€ so heā€™s constantly dramatically rolling around telling me how exhausted he is but the minute I tell him to have a little rest on the sofa heā€™s got more energy than he ever has. He has a slight cold, just a bit snotty really, and weā€™re cutting out naps. He still wakes at least once in the night and his dad gets into bed with him. Definitely not crazy

• Heart
@miaaaa I think that all sounds relatively normal. My kids are EXHAUSTED when they start back in September, and then the cold arrives (and lingersā€¦) and they are even worse. Some kids just donā€™t want to admit that they need to be in bed - my eldest is 9 and would die of exhaustion before she admitted she needed bed (even when she says she is tired) whereas 3 and 6 are happy to ask for bed when needed.

My 3yo has just started preschool, and she is RAVENOUS afterwards! She is such a tiny eater usually, sheā€™s eating at least double!

Has anyone gotten their toddler toys above the age limit? My neice is obsessed with unicorns an I've seen one from vtech, says its for age 5 plus an she's only going be 2 in January, was thinking of it for her xmas

I think it might be because it has hair clips but she wouldn't be getting those anyway, just the wand an unicorn

Has anyone gotten their toddler toys above the age limit? My neice is obsessed with unicorns an I've seen one from vtech, says its for age 5 plus an she's only going be 2 in January, was thinking of it for her xmas

I think it might be because it has hair clips but she wouldn't be getting those anyway, just the wand an unicorn
I often have. I've always left it to self judgement.
Like you say, it's probably the clips. In which case, I'd just remove them.
My 1yo has a lot of toys that are above her age as they were/are my 4yos.
She just doesn't have things that have small parts. They're the only ones she doesn't have šŸ˜Š

Pretty much exclusively! A lot of the age limits on toys which are 3+ are to do with the fact companies have to pay more to get stricter tests for under 3, so they donā€™t bother and put 3+ on it.
My toddler is 1, and plays with toys from older siblings, none of them are aimed at a 1yo.

Reactions: 5
Thanks I'll probably just get it for her then, honestly it's so hard because all the toys that's for her age are so young for her I feel an then it seems to jump to far too old, there doesn't seem to be any inbetween

Thanks I'll probably just get it for her then, honestly it's so hard because all the toys that's for her age are so young for her I feel an then it seems to jump to far too old, there doesn't seem to be any inbetween
My 9 month old is more interested in his 3 year old brothers toys. He loves playing with his toy cars. Hates playing with actual baby toys šŸ«  Iā€™ve never really gone by age, unless it was for learning

My 9 month old is more interested in his 3 year old brothers toys. He loves playing with his toy cars. Hates playing with actual baby toys šŸ«  Iā€™ve never really gone by age, unless it was for learning
It's such a new world to me an am paranoid that if it says a older age then there's somthing there she can't have lol, she isn't out of view anyway, honestly gotta watch her or she's into everything

• Heart

Iā€™ve got to say a lot of my daughters toys have always been rated older than what she is. The scooter I got her was rated 3+ years and she got it last Christmas and she loves scooting on it. Puzzles and board type jigsaws she does are rated higher, thereā€™s nothing wrong with it really.. I just take out the chocking hazard pieces if there is any :)

Does anyone have any positive speech delay stories? My son is 3 and is really behind on his speech and I am worrying sooo much. Weā€™re applying for schools and I just donā€™t think heā€™s going to be ready at all next year. He can say a good few words but doesnā€™t put two words together and is really shy. At nursery they say he is so quiet they havenā€™t heard him say a great deal. But when I pick him up heā€™s always mummy! When he sees me. We currently go to speech therapy but itā€™s not achieved a lot

i am so stressed

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Does anyone have any positive speech delay stories? My son is 3 and is really behind on his speech and I am worrying sooo much. Weā€™re applying for schools and I just donā€™t think heā€™s going to be ready at all next year. He can say a good few words but doesnā€™t put two words together and is really shy. At nursery they say he is so quiet they havenā€™t heard him say a great deal. But when I pick him up heā€™s always mummy! When he sees me. We currently go to speech therapy but itā€™s not achieved a lot

i am so stressed
Yes. My son has come on so much since July. Heā€™s still behind his peers, but he says so much. My 6 year old was slightly delayed also, but he is fine now. Preschool has been the best thing for both my boys (&my sanity!!)

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.