Toddler Advice Thread #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone have any positive speech delay stories? My son is 3 and is really behind on his speech and I am worrying sooo much. We’re applying for schools and I just don’t think he’s going to be ready at all next year. He can say a good few words but doesn’t put two words together and is really shy. At nursery they say he is so quiet they haven’t heard him say a great deal. But when I pick him up he’s always mummy! When he sees me. We currently go to speech therapy but it’s not achieved a lot

i am so stressed
My brother never spoke till 3 an had a few years speech therapy, now it's a blessing when he shuts up an you can only really hear his speech impediment when he's really tired, school really works wonders for them an also with the speech therapist

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Does anyone have any positive speech delay stories? My son is 3 and is really behind on his speech and I am worrying sooo much. We’re applying for schools and I just don’t think he’s going to be ready at all next year. He can say a good few words but doesn’t put two words together and is really shy. At nursery they say he is so quiet they haven’t heard him say a great deal. But when I pick him up he’s always mummy! When he sees me. We currently go to speech therapy but it’s not achieved a lot

i am so stressed
Not my own child but my neighbour, who we see multiple times per week. Her daughter was 3 in May. At the start of 2022 she could say maybe 5 words, her mum understood a couple more noises. When she turned 3 in May she could say still fewer than 10. She’s now talking in sentences 😊 she has really come on over the last months. Still not as clear as would be typical, but I can understand most of what she says, and so can my own 3yo.
They had almost no SALT due to Covid, they’ve had 3 sessions, two of which were on Skype.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
My LO is absolutely breaking my heart when I drop him off at nursery. He keeps lying on the floor and having a mini meltdown ie tears and nothing I can do will get him up and the teachers Always say to just leave him but it makes me so sad 😭😭

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 3
My LO is absolutely breaking my heart when I drop him off at nursery. He keeps lying on the floor and having a mini meltdown ie tears and nothing I can do will get him up and the teachers Always say to just leave him but it makes me so sad 😭😭
mine was like that when he began nursery, always screamed and sobbed and they just told me to leave and I’d always cry 😭 he’s grown out of it now though and is always happy to go in. It is heartbreaking seeing them have a meltdown but the nursery teachers are trained at calming them down so he’s in good hands! It is heartbreaking though I probs ended up crying more than he did 😂

mine was like that when he began nursery, always screamed and sobbed and they just told me to leave and I’d always cry 😭 he’s grown out of it now though and is always happy to go in. It is heartbreaking seeing them have a meltdown but the nursery teachers are trained at calming them down so he’s in good hands! It is heartbreaking though I probs ended up crying more than he did 😂
He’s been going to this nursery since last April. He should like it by now? 😭😂

• Haha
  • Heart
He’s been going to this nursery since last April. He should like it by now? 😭😂
My son has been going since May and he still gets upset at drop off! Every time. They always send us an update ten minutes later and he’s fine, playing and looking happy as anything. He’s always smiling and in good form when I pick him up too. I think some kids just take a bit longer to settle into it. My son has a speech delay too so I think the fact they can’t express what they want to say makes them more likely to get upset. Whereas more talkative toddlers might just have a moan or say they want to stay at home.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Yeh he’s fine !! I used to ring at like 930 and they always say he’s fine. And when I pick him up he always has a great day 🤦🏼‍♀️ He just likes breaking my heart 😂 he wants to stay with me I think that’s the problem 😩
Aw bless him, he probs does just want to stay with you and they like playing the guilt trip card.When my partner drops my little one off he has a full on tantrum and refuses to let go of his dad but when I drop him off he can’t run in his room fast enough 😳 😅 if he’s ok 10 mins later and happy at pick up I wouldn’t worry too much, the nursery workers are good at calming kids down!

My son has been going since May and he still gets upset at drop off! Every time. They always send us an update ten minutes later and he’s fine, playing and looking happy as anything. He’s always smiling and in good form when I pick him up too. I think some kids just take a bit longer to settle into it. My son has a speech delay too so I think the fact they can’t express what they want to say makes them more likely to get upset. Whereas more talkative toddlers might just have a moan or say they want to stay at home.
Yeah you could be right there. He’s worse for me than when daddy drops him off but he still gets upset when he drops him off too. It’s horrible isn’t it. Once I dropped him off he was devastated and then when I drove past ( you can see the back part when you drive out) he was in the sand pit happy as Larry 🙈🙈

Yeah you could be right there. He’s worse for me than when daddy drops him off but he still gets upset when he drops him off too. It’s horrible isn’t it. Once I dropped him off he was devastated and then when I drove past ( you can see the back part when you drive out) he was in the sand pit happy as Larry 🙈🙈
It’s really horrible! They know how to pull on our heart strings, don’t they! I’m hoping that it will get better in time. As long as they’re enjoying it when they’re there that’s the main thing.

• Heart
I don’t know if you remember but last time I cut my little ones hair I posted how stressful it was … well he’s just sat and let me do it without kicking off!!!🥺🥺🥺🥺

• Heart
Reactions: 8
So my 18 month old was waking 3/4 x at night for milk. Advice from health visitor was to reduce the milk & replace with water. We’ve done this to the point that it’s 99% water. Baby is still waking and wanting it, finishing the however much is in the bottle.
Any advice on next steps? I’m thinking reducing the volume little by little? Not sure how to get to the point where baby is not waking for it. Have tried to settle in other ways but baby gets distressed, don’t want to ‘cry it out’. Baby falls asleep initially on his own, without a bottle. It’s just a problem with the waking for a bottle.

So my 18 month old was waking 3/4 x at night for milk. Advice from health visitor was to reduce the milk & replace with water. We’ve done this to the point that it’s 99% water. Baby is still waking and wanting it, finishing the however much is in the bottle.
Any advice on next steps? I’m thinking reducing the volume little by little? Not sure how to get to the point where baby is not waking for it. Have tried to settle in other ways but baby gets distressed, don’t want to ‘cry it out’. Baby falls asleep initially on his own, without a bottle. It’s just a problem with the waking for a bottle.
Can you not just leave a non spill cup next to his bed so he can have a drink at night? If it's just water then it's not that much of a big deal to wake up for a drink in the night? My son is 3 and I'll leave him a cup of water next to his bed, sometimes he has drank it my morning and sometimes he's not touched it. Also would say don't rush through when they wake, give them 5 / 10 mins to go back to sleep? I didn't do cry it out but did 'pick up put down' when my baby was 6 months old and he has slept through since... will still occasionally come into my bed or shout for me in the night but that's totallly normal.

Last time I gave him a cup in the night he threw it at me lol- bare in mind this is the same 360 cup he drinks out of all day and doesn’t have an issue with it. No harm in trying it again.
I tend to try and settle him for 15/20 mins before giving the bottle unless I’m totally exhausted, which sometimes happens. I’m hoping one day he will just sleep through lol miracles can happen.
We are co sleeping at the moment simply because of the night waking. Glad to hear other toddlers come into beds, make me feel less like I’m doing something wrong. I do love having him in my bed tbh.

Reactions: 1
Last time I gave him a cup in the night he threw it at me lol- bare in mind this is the same 360 cup he drinks out of all day and doesn’t have an issue with it. No harm in trying it again.
I tend to try and settle him for 15/20 mins before giving the bottle unless I’m totally exhausted, which sometimes happens. I’m hoping one day he will just sleep through lol miracles can happen.
We are co sleeping at the moment simply because of the night waking. Glad to hear other toddlers come into beds, make me feel less like I’m doing something wrong. I do love having him in my bed tbh.
No advice on the bottle, but all my kids have slept in the bed with us for some/all of the night until we’ll over age 3, it’s 100% normal 😊

The other advice is to start reducing it. They say it tends to become a habit waking for it in the night.
So we just cut out the bottle completely.
For the first week or so, it took a long time to settle her when she was crying. But we just stood there patting her bum, shhhing her. Sometimes it took an hour or so.
But after the initial week, she stopped waking for bottles.
She still wakes, but she goes back to sleep within minutes now with the shhhing and patting.
99% of the time anyway 😂
But she's realised now that we're not getting her out the cot so she settles much quicker

Reactions: 1
Anyone on here got any tips for a medicine refuser :ROFLMAO:

I've posted on here before but my daughter really does not like taking medicine, even Calpol. She used to be fab, would let you give it to her, or would take it herself. But now she flat out refuses and if we try to make her take it, she just vomits. She's been saying for the last night or two that her ear is sore. She's recently had a cold so we were thinking maybe an ear infection? But she just refuses to take Calpol, yet is in so much pain as she just whines and cries all day. It's breaking my heart. I can try and hide it in juices and things during the day, but she could really do with a dose just before bed, but she just won't take it. When she sees the syringe she just starts gagging and making herself sick. 😬 Will it get better?

Anyone on here got any tips for a medicine refuser :ROFLMAO:

I've posted on here before but my daughter really does not like taking medicine, even Calpol. She used to be fab, would let you give it to her, or would take it herself. But now she flat out refuses and if we try to make her take it, she just vomits. She's been saying for the last night or two that her ear is sore. She's recently had a cold so we were thinking maybe an ear infection? But she just refuses to take Calpol, yet is in so much pain as she just whines and cries all day. It's breaking my heart. I can try and hide it in juices and things during the day, but she could really do with a dose just before bed, but she just won't take it. When she sees the syringe she just starts gagging and making herself sick. 😬 Will it get better?
Have you tried it on a spoon? And tried different flavours of calpol/nurofen?

My kids hate medicine until about age 6 🙄🙄🙄

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.