To COVID vaccine, or not to vaccine?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Genuine question then:

people called for a vaccine. (I’m not saying anyone specifically here), but as a population we wanted something and we wanted it quickly - we wanted life to ‘go back to normal’. So based on the ‘I won’t have it until lots of others have’ where would we stand if most people thought/felt that way?
Also ‘it was developed far too quickly’ was that not mostly due to the demand? Also considering modern medicine and how it is generally quicker these days?

I’m genuinely asking as I don’t know all the facts. But I know I’m being asked to make a decision and there’s SO much info out there I wouldn’t have the time to read it all! I feel like I need a dummies guide or a basic pros/cons fact list

• Heart
Reactions: 25
I feel totally fine and confident about taking it, and I used to be very anti-vaxx and totally bought into the hysteria and misinformation. I’ve learned so
much since then about credible sources of information. For this particular vaccine, there is very sound and convincing information online about how it works, the safety of the trials and why it isn’t actually “rushed”. Would definitely recommend someone like @jessicamalatyrivera as account to follow on Instagram for daily questions on covid, the vaccine and testing to help put your mind at ease. The incredible work that has gone into studying this virus and developing the vaccines should be massively celebrated, and it’s incredibly frustrating to see armchair experts dismiss it.

• Heart
Reactions: 33
I would rather wait until the vaccine has been tried and tested, and not have any unpleasant side effects. I have other reasons not to have one, but they lapse into conspiracy theory territory.

Reactions: 7
I believe in our best scientists. Specifically, I believe that the principal scientists in each case & the many regulators who permit a vaccine's release to market have thought approximately 1,000 times harder about any question members of the public will raise in forums such as this. Questions like 'what are the long term' effects - we may not have this exact vaccine, but our methods have advanced such that we can be very confident combining inert component X with the virus-specific component Y will not have any major unintended effects.

What makes any individual think we know better than experts?

• Heart
Reactions: 28
No I won't be, my 69 year old mum will be though against my better judgement. She just wants to live her life again.
Im happy to have necessary vaccinations to protect myself and others (ive had whooping cough whilst pregnant,hpv, my children have had all vaccinations etc) however to me this is unecessary based on the scientific evidence provided.

Why are some of you acting as if you are personally going to pulled out from the bunch and trialled? We are all allowed our own opinions etc and I don’t appreciate some people laughing at my comment of saying I would have it. We all have our reasons, for and against, just have some respect?

Reactions: 27
I will take it, although I’m going to be pretty low down on the list anyway, as there are loads of people who need it more than me who will get it earlier. I did have a few misgivings about how quickly it’s been developed but I can see that other vaccines could have been developed and tested just as quickly if they’d had the same amount of resources and money thrown at them as this one has.

Reactions: 10
I totally agree. It’s hard reading people talk against it who have no concept of the science behind it. The internet has been hugely powerful at brewing fear and scepticism, which is really sad.
I used to be someone who told people they should do their own research, be mad at Big Pharma etc. I feel very ashamed of that now.

I believe in our best scientists. Specifically, I believe that the principal scientists in each case & the many regulators who permit a vaccine's release to market have thought approximately 1,000 times harder about any question members of the public will raise in forums such as this. Questions like 'what are the long term' effects - we may not have this exact vaccine, but our methods have advanced such that we can be very confident combining inert component X with the virus-specific component Y will not have any major unintended effects.

What makes any individual think we know better than experts?

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I totally agree. It’s hard reading people talk against it who have no concept of the science behind it. The internet has been hugely powerful at brewing fear and scepticism, which is really sad.
I used to be someone who told people they should do their own research, be mad at Big Pharma etc. I feel very ashamed of that now.
You shoudn’t be ashamed - a lot of people can never admit they were wrong about anything or that they’ve changed their position on something. It’s easy to get dragged down a certain path, especially on the internet. Social Media is designed to fix onto what catches our interest and push it out to us, it encourages us to create our own echo chambers.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I won't be rushing to have it. The travel restrictions concern me but I've done my fair share of globe trotting. I don't want my son to have it at all.

Hopefully it won't come to needing the vaccine to have a night out or go into your work place but at that point it's basically mandatory.

The virus has such a high survival rate and everyone I know has recovered well (including elderly relatives) so there just isn't enough long term information to justify having it for me personally. (Plus other stuff that I am cautious may be 'conspiracy' ) time will tell.

these mRNA vaccines are not like previous vaccines with reduced or dead virus inside, its new technology with genetic material and will instruct a response in your body to create antibodies. There have been no long term studies on how this will affect people or if it's really necessary.

Reactions: 12
My theory is come spring 2021 we will be entering a whole new "new normal" where unless you've been vaccinated you won't be able to partake in a lot of the activities we have all been wanting back for a year, and with the general public's trepidation around being vaccinated I predict it'll be a lot easier to get it at first and then a huge rush come spring when people change their minds and realise their mistake. I'll be getting it as soon as my employer offers it which is in December I've been told.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
This is THE ONE vaccine the had ALL the resources thrown at it. Initially, I was reluctant to take it up but having read up on the science behind the production and being a frontline worker exposed to the virus daily I want to take it ASAP. Having seen first hand what this horrible virus does to people, I’d rather take my chances with a vaccine than the inevitable which is that I will get this. Anyone who won’t go for the vaccine is...... 🤷‍♀️ Well, Hopefully doing something so worthwhile for humanity that they feel they are above being a part of this.

I would rather wait until the vaccine has been tried and tested, and not have any unpleasant side effects. I have other reasons not to have one, but they lapse into conspiracy theory territory.
IT HAS BEEN TRIED AND TESTED THOUGH !!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 33
Care to explain?
Call me crazy but I don’t like the idea of putting something in my body that has had no long term studies. The idea of nanotechnology in my bloodstream altering my DNA is also kind of off putting. Plus Big Pharma won’t be held liable for any damages caused - why? And why the big push to vaccinate against something that has a approx survival rate of 99%.
In my opinion there is much MUCH more going on with the vaccination agenda.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
Call me crazy but I don’t like the idea of putting something in my body that has had no long term studies. The idea of nanotechnology in my bloodstream altering my DNA is also kind of off putting. Plus Big Pharma won’t be held liable for any damages caused - why? And why the big push to vaccinate against something that has a approx survival rate of 99%.
In my opinion there is much MUCH more going on with the vaccination agenda.
Approx Survival rate 99%?

I’m defo not against it and say bring it the feck on, I’m having it!

Although I’m preggers at the mo so will wait until the baby is born (tiny bit of paranoia about whether there are any unknown effects on babies, nothing to base this on of course) I’ve had covid so I’m not worried about getting it again, I was fine, but it’s so I’m not affected by restrictions eg travel.

Yes I’d be fine to get the vaccine. They’ve had countless scientists working on this day and night with unlimited resources for months now and I trust them. I’m not protected from covid at work so I would rather know I’m not passing anything to my family. Life is too short to keep locking yourself away in fear of this virus. Bring on the vaccine!!

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Yes I’d be fine to get the vaccine. They’ve had countless scientists working on this day and night with unlimited resources for months now and I trust them. I’m not protected from covid at work so I would rather know I’m not passing anything to my family. Life is too short to keep locking yourself away in fear of this virus. Bring on the vaccine!!
Thank god for common sense !!! 😘 Well said !!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.