Things that you are sick of seeing on Social Media #15

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Agree with this to a degree but I think there needs to be a massive differentiation between teaching and pastoral support. What you describe about the exam needs, study and general life support falls under pastoral care. If you have a standard 45-50 mins lesson to deliver curriculum, and you spent just ONE minute per student one-on-one then that 30 mins is gone. It's impossible to offer such level of care in a standard sized classroom. Which is why it's absolutely crucial that head of year/key stage network is well structured and there is plenty of pastoral support in place to support those students. Unfortunately, with the timetables and the curriculum there is no time for this in lessons and more personalised approach through coaching, therapy outside of lessons and TA inside lessons should be available. But funding cuts mean that most (secondary at least) classrooms have no TAs, and if they do, students with ILP have to share them as there would often only be one TA for 3 or 4 kids. It's absurd but that's the sad reality.

Also the earlier career point, while valid, you are thinking about it from an adults perspective and honestly, most 14-16 year olds don't really care about careers that much and don't have realistic expectations about what they're going to do. So it would probably not get much benefit for the cost of rolling this out.
You’re completely right. Both my parents were secondary teachers - recently retired - and one of my closest friends is a primary teacher.

The primary teacher says that a lot of the kids are little shits and (mostly boys) are pandered to because they are “SEND” - aka they’re iPad kids who haven’t been raised properly and now have “ADHD”. They’re violent in the classroom because their parent(s) have never set any boundaries. And the parents fob it off as “boys will be boys” or “kids will be kids”. She hears them singing inappropriate songs that are trending on tiktok, so the kids (aged 5-7 btw) are all on social media. Some kids starting P1 aren’t toilet trained. And my friend has to play the role of teacher, parent, social worker, mental health worker and more because of the combo of shite parenting and budget cuts to most areas of education which means that these little shits won’t get early intervention to address their behaviour and they inevitably end up in HMP Barlinnie.

My parents issue was the staggering increase in vaping in classrooms, backchat and attitude of the kids post Covid. Their school was a nice one - not in a deprived area, good exam results etc. but it seems to be the actual attitude and behaviour of kids shifting. I get the whole Covid thing had an impact but being so brazen to vape in class is just insane.

• Wow
Reactions: 23
I watch a vlogger called Toni Interior,really enjoy her content but like so many other vloggefs she constantly moans about her clothes not fitting her and gaining weight, then a minute later films herself shoveling cakes, pastries and biscuits into her gob. It annoys me that these people want sympathy, then openly show the fat and sugar laden junk they eat almost daily

Reactions: 5
You’re completely right. Both my parents were secondary teachers - recently retired - and one of my closest friends is a primary teacher.

The primary teacher says that a lot of the kids are little shits and (mostly boys) are pandered to because they are “SEND” - aka they’re iPad kids who haven’t been raised properly and now have “ADHD”. They’re violent in the classroom because their parent(s) have never set any boundaries. And the parents fob it off as “boys will be boys” or “kids will be kids”. She hears them singing inappropriate songs that are trending on tiktok, so the kids (aged 5-7 btw) are all on social media. Some kids starting P1 aren’t toilet trained. And my friend has to play the role of teacher, parent, social worker, mental health worker and more because of the combo of shite parenting and budget cuts to most areas of education which means that these little shits won’t get early intervention to address their behaviour and they inevitably end up in HMP Barlinnie.

My parents issue was the staggering increase in vaping in classrooms, backchat and attitude of the kids post Covid. Their school was a nice one - not in a deprived area, good exam results etc. but it seems to be the actual attitude and behaviour of kids shifting. I get the whole Covid thing had an impact but being so brazen to vape in class is just insane.
This is so fascinating to me.
What has become of kids? They suddenly seem so immature. They don't know when to read the room etc. I'm talking about teens here too. Don't know how to respect people, or even fake it till you make it.
As you say it can't just be COVID. But something has changed. Immaturity seems to be on the rise...

Reactions: 13
What has become of kids? They suddenly seem so immature. They don't know when to read the room etc. I'm talking about teens here too. Don't know how to respect people, or even fake it till you make it.
As you say it can't just be COVID. But something has changed. Immaturity seems to be on the rise...
Yeh I remember when I was in primary school we had 1 or 2 wee shites per class but never had violence, aggression, absconding children. Nobody was in nappies. Social media and the internet was confined to club penguin and neopets.

Reactions: 17

I'm a primary school teacher and can relate to what your friend has said.

Lots of children starting in reception in nappies who need to be changed and this is signed off and witnessed.

I also see adhd/ autistic children who go unnoticed because they are quiet and stick to the routine of school. The problem is that resources are taken up by behavioural issues so there is nobody left to give these children the extra support that they need whether that's support with social skills/ managing their own timetable etc.

• Wow
Reactions: 16
It’s crappy parents. Sorry, but nobody is ‘too busy’ to potty train their kid or teach them the basics of abc’s etc. I just don’t buy it.

Some parents are dragging up their kids nowadays, using iPads as babysitters/soothers, they self diagnose ND to excuse bad behaviour, and only seem to give faux attention to get the perfect insta photo. These types of parents blame everything but themselves for their kids behaviour.

I know I’ll get kickback from someone for saying this, but some parents are crappy people and they’re raising crappy kids; that end up having a detrimental effect on the kids being raised decently.

The film Idiocracy was supposed to be a comedy not an ideology.

• Heart
Reactions: 38
It’s crappy parents. Sorry, but nobody is ‘too busy’ to potty train their kid or teach them the basics of abc’s etc. I just don’t buy it.

Some parents are dragging up their kids nowadays, using iPads as babysitters/soothers, they self diagnose ND to excuse bad behaviour, and only seem to give faux attention to get the perfect insta photo. These types of parents blame everything but themselves for their kids behaviour.

I know I’ll get kickback from someone for saying this, but some parents are crappy people and they’re raising crappy kids; that end up having a detrimental effect on the kids being raised decently.

The film Idiocracy was supposed to be a comedy not an ideology.
Everyone kicked off at Jo Frost (supernanny) the other day for posting about the link between iPads and ADHD. She had some really good points like sorry if you’re sticking an iPad in front of your kid to soothe them from a very early age you are encouraging them to be inattentive and have a lack of emotional regulation, which heavily mimics the symptoms of ADHD. They can’t concentrate properly because they haven’t learned the natural ability to put up with “boring” tasks like schoolwork because they get a tablet or phone shoved at them to mindlessly scroll tiktok or YouTube.

There needs to be a huge study of today’s iPad kid generation because it is genuinely terrifying.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
Everyone kicked off at Jo Frost (supernanny) the other day for posting about the link between iPads and ADHD. She had some really good points like sorry if you’re sticking an iPad in front of your kid to soothe them from a very early age you are encouraging them to be inattentive and have a lack of emotional regulation, which heavily mimics the symptoms of ADHD. They can’t concentrate properly because they haven’t learned the natural ability to put up with “boring” tasks like schoolwork because they get a tablet or phone shoved at them to mindlessly scroll tiktok or YouTube.

There needs to be a huge study of today’s iPad kid generation because it is genuinely terrifying.
Yeah I mean it's exactly the same with adults. I can see with myself that the more I use my phone, the harder it gets to concentrate on tasks needing longer attention. And the impact on developing brain just be crazy

Reactions: 24

Bloody Ipad kids are a nightmare for teachers. I know a woman who teaches Reception and she says she is seeing a lot more children struggling to learn to write and who struggle to occupy themselves properly during choosing times and she puts it down to parents who shove children on Ipads all the time. I mean, when you go out in public you see it all the time, ipads in restaurants, ipads in shopping trolleys, ipads in pushchairs. Preventing children from developing communication skills, social skills and learning from observing their surroundings. I heavily judge Ipad parents, I'll admit I do. Because its so sad to see. If you wanted peace and quiet during every meal or easy shopping trips you shouldn't have had children.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 37
Bloody Ipad kids are a nightmare for teachers. I know a woman who teaches Reception and she says she is seeing a lot more children struggling to learn to write and who struggle to occupy themselves properly during choosing times and she puts it down to parents who shove children on Ipads all the time. I mean, when you go out in public you see it all the time, ipads in restaurants, ipads in shopping trolleys, ipads in pushchairs. Preventing children from developing communication skills, social skills and learning from observing their surroundings. I heavily judge Ipad parents, I'll admit I do. Because its so sad to see. If you wanted peace and quiet during every meal or easy shopping trips you shouldn't have had children.
Me too and I don’t give a tit if I judge them. Even SEND ones, sorry, but people have been effectively dealing with SEND kids for years without the need for blaring fuckin YouTube videos at 100 volume in public.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
Yeah I mean it's exactly the same with adults. I can see with myself that the more I use my phone, the harder it gets to concentrate on tasks needing longer attention. And the impact on developing brain just be crazy
I find it the same with online reading, most news is written in short paragraphs, maybe three sentences maximum. With gaps between the paragraphs and repeated info.

It can be so easy to get use to this style of writing and then find it hard to actually read a book, with proper paragraphs and the need to retain info.

• Heart
Reactions: 13

I'm glad you have a friend like her, you deserve each other

Reactions: 2
There was a kid in my sons school , picking on and hitting kids(5&6 year old), I don't know the extent of it but the parents complained then his mother was like he's in the middle of a diagnosis and fuming because they had gone to the school instead of her , he might need SEN support I don't know but you can't expect parents and the kids to say nothing

Reactions: 10
I'm glad you have a friend like her, you deserve each other
Is that a compliment or insult😂
---
There was a kid in my sons school , picking on and hitting kids(5&6 year old), I don't know the extent of it but the parents complained then his mother was like he's in the middle of a diagnosis and fuming because they had gone to the school instead of her , he might need SEN support I don't know but you can't expect parents and the kids to say nothing
I hate this too we absolutely cannot pander to violence in schools

Reactions: 17
I'm a primary school teacher and can relate to what your friend has said.

Lots of children starting in reception in nappies who need to be changed and this is signed off and witnessed.

I also see adhd/ autistic children who go unnoticed because they are quiet and stick to the routine of school. The problem is that resources are taken up by behavioural issues so there is nobody left to give these children the extra support that they need whether that's support with social skills/ managing their own timetable etc.
My 9 year old son has ADHD, as do I (diagnosed many years ago pre-covid but in my 30s) and behaves mostly brilliantly at school and home and doesn't even know he has it. I absolutely hate it being used as an excuse - when people are late and say it's their (normally undiagnosed) ADHD, or their child has no enforced boundaries "because they have ADHD". His issues are constant "ants in his pants", he cannot sit still, and his mind races and he struggles to organise himself. He can actually spend an hour or two doing something if he gets into it. I've scaffolded activities for him for years and he is doing really well. Has a little checklist of things to make sure are in his school bag each day and he mostly gets it right now. No meds.

Interestingly we have never done the iPads or phones given to them when out in cafes or anything, we eat out regularly and all of our kids will sit and chat at the table. iPads are only used at home at the weekends for them to watch their own TV programmes for an hour max as we only have one TV in our house. You do see iPads everywhere in restaurants now. My mother in law is a nursery school teacher and says the majority of their 4 year olds now scroll at books like it's a screen and have very poor book handling skills. Shocking!

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
Me too and I don’t give a tit if I judge them. Even SEND ones, sorry, but people have been effectively dealing with SEND kids for years without the need for blaring fuckin YouTube videos at 100 volume in public.
This is the bit that bothers me a lot. I'm in a few camping groups and people always say that they need electric hook up 'because Dear Child needs the iPad because of his autism/ADHD'. I get the need to switch off/regulate because they're overstimulated/disregulated easily etc, but for years they would have had to develop strategies to deal with those feelings that didn't include screen time. So why does it have to now? Why are we not teaching those poor kids the skills to deal with those situations and feelings rather than squashing them with mind numbing programmes just so they're quiet?

Reactions: 18
This is the bit that bothers me a lot. I'm in a few camping groups and people always say that they need electric hook up 'because Dear Child needs the iPad because of his autism/ADHD'. I get the need to switch off/regulate because they're overstimulated/disregulated easily etc, but for years they would have had to develop strategies to deal with those feelings that didn't include screen time. So why does it have to now? Why are we not teaching those poor kids the skills to deal with those situations and feelings rather than squashing them with mind numbing programmes just so they're quiet?
Lazy parenting. Pure and simple. An iPad is a stimulant device - it’s the worst possible thing for “switching off” or “regulating”

Reactions: 22
I have an old acquaintance on my social media who likes to not so subtly brag about how much sex he supposedly has and how he thinks he is better than other people because he was sexually active from an early age. He’s basically the one man version of r/ihavesex

Today, he posted about one of his high school friends who was hit by a car and died. He posted a photo and it was like “George passed away 13 years ago today. He would have been 30 now. I think about him every day. We had been best friends since childhood and for a couple of months before his accident we started sleeping together. We kept quiet about it because he was just coming to terms with being gay, and I was still friends with his ex-girlfriend.”

Did you need to get that in there? Could you not have just said you were in a relationship? I don’t know if this poor guy was ever out to anyone else but still, I wonder how his family feel about this post? Not to mention the creep factor of a man in his thirties posting this about someone who was a teenager when he knew him. If anyone else is on the Marcus Mitchell thread it felt very familiar!

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 24
I think it can be down to how you use the iPad with the child.

We were never iPad parents, but it kinda happened during Covid, Kid was 2, I was sheilding, we both worked at home, so childcare was non-existant and not an option. What we did do was use all of the parental settings to limit time the iPad worked and limit the content it provided. Outside of work hours it was banned and we did things with them, exersised etc. The result is now a 6 year old that is at the top of their class, has integrated with other children well, and behaves how I expected.

Reactions: 8