Things in life that have just quietly disappeared

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am often gobsmacked by how good teenage girls figures are. Then I realise that ours were probable that good too - it’s just that nobody wore skintight stuff then - it was all baggy jeans and T-shirts and stuff so you’d never know what our bodies were like under there.
Yes! I remember going to a school disco in year 7 in a 'nice top' (it was basically a slinky vest top with a Chinese symbol on it 🤣) which wasn't baggy so I guess you could see my figure. One of the 'popular' girls said I had an amazing figure and I was like oh right ummm thanks! Up until then I had never even thought about it, had never considered myself skinny or fat, its just not something that I had registered at that age. It's sad how kids of that age are so hyper aware now.

Reactions: 8
Whaaat you guys didn’t all wear your blue eyeshadow, blue mascara, foundation 10x darker than your skin shade and glitter lipgloss when you were 13 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Yes! I remember going to a school disco in year 7 in a 'nice top' (it was basically a slinky vest top with a Chinese symbol on it 🤣) which wasn't baggy so I guess you could see my figure. One of the 'popular' girls said I had an amazing figure and I was like oh right ummm thanks! Up until then I had never even thought about it, had never considered myself skinny or fat, its just not something that I had registered at that age. It's sad how kids of that age are so hyper aware now.
I think you’re right - we just weren’t very aware. I still thought in terms of whether an item of clothing was nice, not whether it looked nice on me IYSWIM. I feel so sorry for teenage girls now. I re-watched At Home With the Braithwaites recently - it was made in about 2000 and what really stood out to me when re-watching was how everyone in it had completely normal hair and teeth. It was before straighteners and fake tan were ubiquitous and before actors had to look perfect. I miss everyone having normal hair that isn’t straight and glossy or those hair straightener waves that everyone does. Just their natural texture. People used to be considered attractive for their unique features, not for looking the same as everyone else.

Whaaat you guys didn’t all wear your blue eyeshadow, blue mascara, foundation 10x darker than your skin shade and glitter lipgloss when you were 13 😂
I had one of those M&S metal eyeshadow palettes with about 10 different (equally horrid) colours in it. I remember yellow eyeshadow featuring strongly. 🙈

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I think you’re right - we just weren’t very aware. I still thought in terms of whether an item of clothing was nice, not whether it looked nice on me IYSWIM. I feel so sorry for teenage girls now. I re-watched At Home With the Braithwaites recently - it was made in about 2000 and what really stood out to me when re-watching was how everyone in it had completely normal hair and teeth. It was before straighteners and fake tan were ubiquitous and before actors had to look perfect. I miss everyone having normal hair that isn’t straight and glossy or those hair straightener waves that everyone does. Just their natural texture. People used to be considered attractive for their unique features, not for looking the same as everyone else.

I had one of those M&S metal eyeshadow palettes with about 10 different (equally horrid) colours in it. I remember yellow eyeshadow featuring strongly. 🙈
Yeh and it’s only worse now with social media, I’m so glad it didn’t exist until I was uni age, I had enough issues with food/ body image as it was

Reactions: 3
Yeh and it’s only worse now with social media, I’m so glad it didn’t exist until I was uni age, I had enough issues with food/ body image as it was
I can’t imagine how much pressure they feel they’re under.

Reactions: 3
I think you’re right - we just weren’t very aware. I still thought in terms of whether an item of clothing was nice, not whether it looked nice on me IYSWIM.
Yeah definitely I still liked to look at clothes but never thought about if they suited my figure etc, I don't think I really knew what people meant by 'figure' 😂

Oh I definitely owned some horrendous frosty eyeshadow and body glitter, reserved only for the aforementioned school discos, then from about 15 I discovered dream matte mouse which I wore to under 18 club nights 😂😂😂

Reactions: 2
I'm an early 90s baby and yes, even up to about 15 I looked childish. All me and my friends wore was zip up hoodie a and combat trousers with the millions of straps hanging off them :eek:

My cousin is 14 and has had eyebrow appointments for at least 2 years and proper full face of make up, modern hair do, influencer approved clothing from Boohoo and jewellery and looks a lot older than 14. Social media definitely has a lot to answer for.

Reactions: 5
I'm an early 90s baby and yes, even up to about 15 I looked childish. All me and my friends wore was zip up hoodie a and combat trousers with the millions of straps hanging off them :eek:

My cousin is 14 and has had eyebrow appointments for at least 2 years and proper full face of make up, modern hair do, influencer approved clothing from Boohoo and jewellery and looks a lot older than 14. Social media definitely has a lot to answer for.
It’s really obvious if you compare say spice girls with girls aloud or little mix, the latter look so polished and covered in makeup, whereas I always thought spice girls were beautiful but very natural looking (most of the time anyway )

Reactions: 7
Von Dutch (which my friend and I used to snigger at and call Von Douche)
Bench clothing
Pencil cases shaped like cans of drink (7up, Coca Cola)
A chocolate bar called Marble
Shout Magazine

A shop called What Everyone Wants and the song to the advert was, "Whatever you want! Whatever you like!" by Status Quo

• Heart
Reactions: 8
A shop called What Everyone Wants and the song to the advert was, "Whatever you want! Whatever you like!" by Status Quo
Oh my gosh I know what you’re talking about ! I can hear the advert - what was it for ?!!

• Haha
Reactions: 1
There was a shop called Whatever You Want or what everybody wants... Something like that.
It was actually called that? Wow. the song in the ad is so clear in my memory - circa 99 are we talking, yeah ? But everything else about it I’ve forgotten entirely. What was it selling ? (Yes I know , whatever I want. What do I want ?)

Reactions: 1
It was actually called that? Wow. the song in the ad is so clear in my memory - circa 99 are we talking, yeah ? But everything else about it I’ve forgotten entirely. What was it selling ? (Yes I know , whatever I want. What do I want ?)
Yep that's right! I'm sure it was a bits n bobs kind of shop.

Bay trading, kookai clothes shops. Anyone remember dooleys toffee liquor or Nestle double cream chocolate.

Reactions: 4
In no particular order:
- Mini Pringles
- Mingles
- Love 2 Love/ Lovable Bears - those brightly dyed felt teddies that you fed and stank of fake fruit 😂
- Solero Shots (later Calippo Shots) - plastic container of lime ice lolly pellets
- Jamster and other ringtone sites
- Habbo Hotel

Reactions: 5
There was a shop called Whatever You Want or what everybody wants... Something like that.
I’m sure it was originally called what every woman wants then it changed to everyone.
Yeh there was a song that actually played over the tannoy in the shop 😂

Anyone remember C&A?

And whatever happened to Bebo?
C&A still exists in countries like Germany, I bought some gloves in one in Hamburg last December :D

Here in the UK they pulled out years ago and most of their old sites now seem to be Primark!

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.