Thewelshrunner and Kellogs_ontherun #2 roll those dice but please ignore their advice

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She is not doing the long runs required, simple as that, you need four or five 20 milers in a typical marathon block to break 4 hours, all those tit miles and double days achieve nothing, their training drives me crazy
You definitely do NOT need 4-5 20+ milers to break 4 - so many people have done it never running more than an 18 mile long run, so get that 20-miler myth out of your head.

Fact: you also do not need to run 50+ miles/week to break 4 either.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
You definitely do NOT need 4-5 20+ milers to break 4 - so many people have done it never running more than an 18 mile long run, so get that 20-miler myth out of your head.

Agreed. It’s about training smarter, not harder! There’s a growing consensus now that long runs should be capped at three hours because anything more than that puts excess strain on your body. So on that logic, many people training for a marathon will never hit a 20 mile long run.

I went well under 4 hours and only ever did two 20 milers. More so because it helped me mentally to hit that milestone than anything else.

Reactions: 6
I'm confused by the whole training smarter not harder aspect for Kelly. Isn't she on the 'training for Instagram not reality' program to get her to BQ? Which we all know she is no where near that... expect through a free spot

Reactions: 8
Agreed. It’s about training smarter, not harder! There’s a growing consensus now that long runs should be capped at three hours because anything more than that puts excess strain on your body. So on that logic, many people training for a marathon will never hit a 20 mile long run.

I went well under 4 hours and only ever did two 20 milers. More so because it helped me mentally to hit that milestone than anything else.
Agree, as a slow runner I never run further than 16 miles when marathon training, if I try and run further than that I get injured.

Reactions: 4
I personally think she'll be doing well to go sub 4:30 at Manchester. And that's what she should be training for, it will still be a big pb.

I personally think she'll be doing well to go sub 4:30 at Manchester. And that's what she should be training for, it will still be a big pb.
Agree. She definitely needs to be sub 50 for a 10K and sub 1:50 for a half first to aim for 4 hours for the marathon

Reactions: 3
Doesn’t she realize she could improve and extend her content to make her BQ a series of PB’s along the way? Baby steps, Kelly.

Reactions: 5
It would be so much more motivating for her if she set herself modest goals then exceeded expectations on the day rather than setting herself up to fail multiple times. But of course that would ruin the dice rolling brand...

It would be so much more motivating for her if she set herself modest goals then exceeded expectations on the day rather than setting herself up to fail multiple times. But of course that would ruin the dice rolling brand...
Wonder how many rolls of the dice till she bags a free Boston place..??. After all that's what it's all about..

Agreed I ran 4 hours for my first marathon, I only did one 18 mile run and 2 x 20 miles as my longest runs. No way I could have done another 2 long runs.

Reactions: 1
Kells: stop racing your workouts. Your easy run pace is NOT a 9:53 pace - it's about a minute/mile slower. If you want an honest shot at even a sub 4, you need to slow TF down.

Reactions: 7
Exactly. I don't see anything wrong in doing high mileage weeks to get a great aerobic base if you enjoy it and have the time - however it should be 80% easy pace and proper easy. So for Kelly then based on her PBs it should be more like 10:30 min/mile pace. Her easy runs are too fast imo

Reactions: 5
I disagree with the people saying 20 mile runs are required. I ran 4.21 when my longest run was about 18-20km (or 2 hours), but I did have a really good base of training for triathlon under my belt. The bike stuff translates well to the run.

Has Kelly done her long run from yesterday today or is 27km a week day run? 🤔

Reactions: 3
I disagree with the people saying 20 mile runs are required. I ran 4.21 when my longest run was about 18-20km (or 2 hours), but I did have a really good base of training for triathlon under my belt. The bike stuff translates well to the run.

Has Kelly done her long run from yesterday today or is 27km a week day run? 🤔
Long run I think.

In reply to a comment on Strava she said she is aiming to BQ this year.........

Attachments

• Haha
  • Wow
Good luck to her. I mean it. Does anyone know what her PB is?
4 hours 45 but that was a few years ago. Most recent marathon in Berlin in Sept was 5 hours 24.
She's never been a fast runner and I'd say that the marathon is really not her distance but we'll see. Not meaning to be nasty, I'm the same. Even when I could run a 22min 5k I couldn't get a sub 4 marathon.

Sorry late to the party but just saw she ran a 27km run today. That was my longest run when I did marathon training, so is that for her will she be easing down now??? Or is she going to be running more of this. It’s very interesting training that’s all I can say. Really interested to see what time she does in Manchester, I am expecting her to get a big PB, close to 4 but let’s see see if Kenya doesn’t derail all of this.

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.