Thevitamindproject - Africa

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
They have a shop my home section. She did always have good taste, but I'm surprised by how expensive everything is. Just a few items from the living room:

Who knew you needed serious money to get that look. 🤪

View attachment 1232599

View attachment 1232641

View attachment 1232609

View attachment 1232616

View attachment 1232606

View attachment 1232632

View attachment 1232621

Interesting to see that she did also use a professional service to build her brand. From their page :

" To create a unique and winning brand, start a journey of discovery into what is really special about your business. We research your target audience, stakeholders and competitors as well as your product or your companies offering and see what really makes it tick. "

"Your unique selling points, services and how can you connect with your target market on an emotional level are all affected by your brand strategy.
We like to think of strategy as a long term journey map, and the destination is the hearts and feelings of your target audience. We aim to achieve this by becoming part of the end-users lifestyle, trying to position your brand as the first thing the user associates with your industry. "
Wow, I thought ebay and second hand was her first port of call? I'm literally laughing at how shallow someone would have to be to buy books 'by the meter'. That's quite embarrassing to admit that!
Africa has always had expensive style but unless you knew the price of the stuff it wasn't apparent. I was very shocked at the cost of some of hers/her children's clothes, because she always made out she was very savvy with money. Totally up to her of course but it just doesn't seem to fit with someone who really wanted to highlight the privilege of others, without acknowledging their own.

Reactions: 11
With the books it's about the aesthetic not personally hand picked and loved copies. They also come in red.

"If you look through this transparently money has not been spent on anything apart from the kitchen and bathroom".

"People need to acknowledge their privilege."

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
I
With the books it's about the aesthetic not personally hand picked and loved copies. They also come in red.

"If you look through this transparently money has not been spent on anything apart from the kitchen and bathroom".

"People need to acknowledge their privilege."

Have only watched half of this but really love Medina (Grillo Designs on Instagram I think?)

She says they couldn't afford to buy new furniture but could spend ££ on fake books. She's so confused/confusing.

She is so contrary regarding buying a house and this interview did not age well. I did think they have had a windfall, lottery or inheritance to be able to but a 4 bedroom property worth over half a million pounds.

Reactions: 2
They have a shop my home section. She did always have good taste, but I'm surprised by how expensive everything is. Just a few items from the living room:

Who knew you needed serious money to get that look. 🤪

View attachment 1232599

View attachment 1232641

View attachment 1232609

View attachment 1232616

View attachment 1232606

View attachment 1232632

View attachment 1232621

Interesting to see that she did also use a professional service to build her brand. From their page :

" To create a unique and winning brand, start a journey of discovery into what is really special about your business. We research your target audience, stakeholders and competitors as well as your product or your companies offering and see what really makes it tick. "

"Your unique selling points, services and how can you connect with your target market on an emotional level are all affected by your brand strategy.
We like to think of strategy as a long term journey map, and the destination is the hearts and feelings of your target audience. We aim to achieve this by becoming part of the end-users lifestyle, trying to position your brand as the first thing the user associates with your industry. "
In fairness I’m pretty sure hers are largely actually vintage (which I know won’t be cheap but shouldn’t be £1k+ per chair?) and she puts similar items here as opposed to identical. She’s incentivised to put super expensive items on the list as influencers are paid a % of any affiliate eligible sales, too. But that’s not denying she does have some expensive bits in the house.

Reactions: 5
I

Have only watched half of this but really love Medina (Grillo Designs on Instagram I think?)

She says they couldn't afford to buy new furniture but could spend ££ on fake books. She's so confused/confusing.

She is so contrary regarding buying a house and this interview did not age well. I did think they have had a windfall, lottery or inheritance to be able to but a 4 bedroom property worth over half a million pounds.
I still dknt understand how her husband lost his job was doing amazon deliveries, got a new job and the they purchased the home....none of herstory makes sense unless they got inheritance or something, and she wasnt doing huge ad campaigns during this time he was delivering so I dnt understand at all

Reactions: 4
£90 a metre for the green books, seriously?! I really have seen it all now….🤦🏻‍♀️
Are they actual real books or those fake ones that are all stuck together?

Apparently she is writing her own book. Not sure on what subject but may be similiar to Medinas book 'How to rent'. I really rate Medina, she is so talented and makes all her tutorials so clear and bs-free.

Reactions: 1
I'd forgotten about this series. I too love Medina, I just feel she's very true to herself.
Re the interview, this reminded me of why I originally thought she was poor. She mentions that social housing is for underprivileged people (but later in conversations got annoyed about this and said she didn't like people saying/thinking this).
She obviously knows nothing about private renting at all, so many private renters are backed into a crappy corner where they have to take the house where the landlord will accept them. I applied for about 20 houses before I got accepted, I certainly could not be fussy about area, decor or even street safety. I simply had to put a roof over my children's head. Social housing is a massive privilege, especially in cities where rent is extortionate and the fair price rents mean you can have a bit of money left over to heat your house adequately. Africa and her husband both had decent jobs, they certainly weren't on the breadline.
I agree the interview hasn't aged well, this was the Africa that I loved and couldn't wait to see in an IG story. "I hate consumerism" and the irony of now sharing very expensive household items and "shop my home" with books per meter not for the reading but just the aesthetic.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
The books are real. The ones you get are random. You can get them in different designs too including inverted covers and distressed.

Books by Metre - an original interiors solution;

“We supply traditional, contemporary and distressed books for display in residential and commercial properties and in shops, exhibitions and media locations; perfect for shelf filling or to make a unique, visual statement. Available for sale or rental in a creative range of colours and designed jackets.”

The main reason she grew popular was because she made a lovely home in social housing. They repeatedly said they couldn’t afford a deposit.

She says she spent two years of her savings on doing up her rented home. In the interview she gave the guardian. " their renovation costs equated to about 10% of what they’d need to pay for a deposit on a similar two-bedroom flat. "

Last edited:
Yes she openly said they spent £5.5k making changes. I find her to be a bit dramatic at times, referring to the "horrific" original kitchen. It was a very standard but fine kitchen that you'd find in a SH property. There was nothing horrific about it, she needed to own her privilege there. Most people do not have the money to put in a new kitchen in a rented property, especially not underprileged people!

Reactions: 7
In the video she said the kids book shelves were from ikea, but in the shop my home it’s £30+ ones from La redoute. 🤷‍♀️

She certainly did make her home lovely, you've got to give her that. But as a renter myself (I will never own) I don't think what she did was the norm for renters either. Her husband is very talented which managed to keep costs down.

Yes she openly said they spent £5.5k making changes. I find her to be a bit dramatic at times, referring to the "horrific" original kitchen. It was a very standard but fine kitchen that you'd find in a SH property. There was nothing horrific about it, she needed to own her privilege there. Most people do not have the money to put in a new kitchen in a rented property, especially not underprileged people!
She’s shared pictures of the befores previously. Not to her tase but still functional.

I’ve rented previously too for the past five years. No way would I sink anything extra into the place, but I understand wanting to make your mark in the place and making it feel more like a home.

Safari chair looks the same and has been photographed by her usual photographer.

Attachments

Reactions: 1
In the video she said the kids book shelves were from ikea, but in the shop my home it’s £30+ ones from La redoute. 🤷‍♀️
IKEA doesn’t appear to run an affiliate marketing program, isn’t on topcashback and I’ve never seen influencers with their own UTM parameters. La redoute are on TCB offering up to 10% so I’d guess influencers were getting upward of that, and on all items on your basket/potentially subsequent orders if you don’t clear ur cookies.

Thank you for explaining it more Here. That makes sense.

I understand it’s something they all do including FOD, but it just seems so disingenuous when you’ve not even been told it’s an affiliated link .

• Heart
She said before she moved homes that once she is in the new house shes going to have a partnership with that homeless charity Shelter, I really dont think she is the person for it. She left home at a young age so had to be housed by the council and that council home allowed her the privilege of social housing until she bought her house. Dont understand why they would partner with her

Also, as someone who grew up poor, I dont understand how she classed her childhood as poor when she went on international holidays frequently

Reactions: 3
I think she was probably classed as homeless for the 7 years she waited for her first flat. IIRC she had to move out of her family home at 16. That must have been extremely hard, so I think her history is very relevant for Shelter.
Re the month long annual holidays, no it certainly doesn't seem consistent with poverty but she did imply her parents were very bad with money. Thedoctormummy said her mum was the same, always been on benefits but used to take them on long haul holidays and they'd really suffer the consequences of the subsequent debt.

Thank you for explaining it more Here. That makes sense.

I understand it’s something they all do including FOD, but it just seems so disingenuous when you’ve not even been told it’s an affiliated link .
I’ve not looked on the pages but yeah all affiliate links should always be disclosed as per ASA’s rules. She’s usually really good with that stuff so I’d be surprised if she hasn’t!

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Wow
Double checked :

The link clearly says affiliate:

7_bc4cdc8322a725870e32996547db8b44&kaPt=affiliatewindow&kaTckM=pcwr&kaPcId=58244&kaAcId=222&kaTckId=78888&kaPgmId=1496&kaAdPtId=0&kaRdt=http://www.laredoute.co.uk/&cod=aff...8&utm_term=Sub+Networks&utm_content=Skimlinks

No mention anywhere on the website.

Sneaky.
Yeah that is really bad then, it needs declaring as any other social media content would. I don’t begrudge her the percentage commission as there is value in her recommendations and she doesn’t just shell any tit out but she needs to act within the law and declare that! Very disappointing 😞

Also remember to clear your cookies so you don’t end up generating commission for someone who cba to follow the rules.