Thevitamindproject - Africa

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A few influencers do read their own threads including FOD. Only know if one who joined with her real name to respond.

Reactions: 1
I’d say most of them read here. I dunno it just seems like announcing somebody else’s pregnancy is crossing a line as tattle tends to be gossip/bitching about what a person broadcasts to their followers.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
If anything it underlines just what you’re risking by putting yourself and your family online. People (rightly or wrongly) feel they have a right to comment. I do empathise with Africa’s assertion that she wants to use Insta to show black families living their family lives and I think that’s very important.
At the end of the day though there’s no getting away from the fact that her family and home are online for tens of thousands of followers (strangers!) to view. One potential weirdo is posting here. How many others are there amongst her follower count?? Who actually knows, she certainly doesn’t, as pretty much all of them are just that - strangers!!

Reactions: 2
I think it's the fact that the poster came specifically to tattle to message her is weird but the post does insinuate that English isn't their first language so perhaps its just an innocent misunderstanding.

If anything it underlines just what you’re risking by putting yourself and your family online. People (rightly or wrongly) feel they have a right to comment. I do empathise with Africa’s assertion that she wants to use Insta to show black families living their family lives and I think that’s very important.
At the end of the day though there’s no getting away from the fact that her family and home are online for tens of thousands of followers (strangers!) to view. One potential weirdo is posting here. How many others are there amongst her follower count?? Who actually knows, she certainly doesn’t, as pretty much all of them are just that - strangers!!
Only one potential weirdo? In the words of a wise cat "we're all mad here.

It's all the little things which does add up over time.

Once online the internet never forgets.

Writing here isn't a direct message in her inbox though. Reading here is optional.

There's always the chance the info might have been false too.

I do empathise with Africa’s assertion that she wants to use Insta to show black families living their family lives and I think that’s very important.
I think this is disingenuous, or at best a lie Africa tells herself, because her account is foremost a commodified business account to sell goods and services and her (and her family’s) role is advertiser/seller. Online marketer if that makes you feel better about people recognising you and your family at the beach.

Reactions: 3
It’s a big question/philosophical debate lol isn’t it. Like I think both can be true…? Idk like thinking of traditional black celebrities and how their place in pop culture changed perceptions of their community in the white community back in the day & continue to now it’s definitely a thing. But yeah is it really that radical to be a sales person for brands and representing? It’s a bit like that famous centrist piss taking tweet about having more female prison guards like the point isn’t representation it’s the fact it’s a gross system that needs dismantling. I definitely think that it’s easy to come across as a “good” Insta mama just because of how bad the first gen were especially the SODs, like provided you’re not sharing the mental breakdowns or failed 11+ of your kids or their diabetes diagnosis you’re a refreshing change. But is the bar really that low? 😂 but yeah idk. But then saying that we all have to survive capitalism and I know I’ve worked for morally trash companies before so idk. That bible thing about casting the first stone applies I guess. It’s interesting tbh.

Tho the fact that Africa’s thread is more about this broader stuff than her content is probably a good reflection she’s doing something better than the others?

It’s a big question/philosophical debate lol isn’t it. Like I think both can be true…? Idk like thinking of traditional black celebrities and how their place in pop culture changed perceptions of their community in the white community back in the day & continue to now it’s definitely a thing. But yeah is it really that radical to be a sales person for brands and representing? It’s a bit like that famous centrist piss taking tweet about having more female prison guards like the point isn’t representation it’s the fact it’s a gross system that needs dismantling. I definitely think that it’s easy to come across as a “good” Insta mama just because of how bad the first gen were especially the SODs, like provided you’re not sharing the mental breakdowns or failed 11+ of your kids or their diabetes diagnosis you’re a refreshing change. But is the bar really that low? 😂 but yeah idk. But then saying that we all have to survive capitalism and I know I’ve worked for morally trash companies before so idk. That bible thing about casting the first stone applies I guess. It’s interesting tbh.

Tho the fact that Africa’s thread is more about this broader stuff than her content is probably a good reflection she’s doing something better than the others?
I’m not sure the second generation of influencers are any better than the first, and personally I don’t think children belong on commodified Instagram accounts. A child’s digital footprint should belong to them, not mama who wanted to upload some affiliate links.

Africa is exceedingly smug that she does influencing (and pretty much life) better than anyone else, but can you really claim that if your fourth pregnancy has potentially just been announced by a stranger on Tattle?

• Heart
I see her point about seeing black families living their lives etc but do we really need to see any family we don’t know living their lives? I have my own family and life! I guess basically I find the whole thing morally bankrupt especially when kids are involved but it might as well be diverse and yes, even in this trash industry representation is important. It’s still selling your kids and privacy though.

• Heart
Watching her stories today she has that wide pregnancy nose

At the end of the day shes a saleswoman who uses her family to sell pproducts.im surprised noone mentions how expensive the clothing she advertises are esp when shes always going on about inclusivity in all areas but most of her folloowers wouldnt be able to afford it

I’m not sure the second generation of influencers are any better than the first, and personally I don’t think children belong on commodified Instagram accounts. A child’s digital footprint should belong to them, not mama who wanted to upload some affiliate links.

Africa is exceedingly smug that she does influencing (and pretty much life) better than anyone else, but can you really claim that if your fourth pregnancy has potentially just been announced by a stranger on Tattle?
Oh 100% agree re digital footprint and my child’s name or image is no where to be found online. But I still think this is a very very very small % of the population’s opinion based upon what I see on socials, parenting groups, etc people are happy to share their kids’ details. And idk the whole industry is vile but I have more time for a black mum “making it” in the industry as a) representation and b) black women as a whole earn less than white women so opportunities like this help re balance the playing field I suppose?

Btw I hope I don’t come across as preachy or smug, I love these sorts of convos they’re interesting and everyone on tattle has had their peer marketing / sales rep awakening so you can actually discuss it properly, it’s not like talking to aspiring huns IRL who thank brands for sending them the orders they paid for lol.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
In some ways (and I hate myself for saying this) Africa has reminded me a bit of Candice Brathwaite wrt how their accounts started and how they are now. At the beginning CB was very humble (very much like how Africa presented in the How I Rent video) and she talked so much about Black issues, she was such a breath of fresh air in what was such a white instahun insta feed. Companies used to gift her things and she say it felt too luxurious for her so she'd donate it to a local women's refuge 🥺. She was all about Black families being represented on the squares etc. She was my total girl crush, I used to love seeing a new story come up of hers because in my own way she was someone I could relate to. Can't remember when it happened but her account went all about tingz and how much she deserved xyz and was going to get it at all costs. Then there was the whole washing over her being a brothel madam.
I do wonder (and like I say I hate myself for thinking this if I'm wrong) did they both have a business plan and them sharing their family life and putting on a persona was part of the act, an A to get to B? Africa is very different from Candice wrt style but they both have a penchant for higher end goods. Africa perplexed me a bit because she used to really reiterate that she didn't want people asking her where she got things as she didn't want to influence people or encourage them to buy stuff, but she has a shop my home page now it seems. I'm not against anyone making money and it's especially good to see Black women make a good living, it's just the inconsistency and seemingly personality transplant that came along with it.

I don’t think Africa initially started off with a game plan. (I could say that that about others I follow). Some of her first posts were about maternal mental health and her experience of depression. Unlike Clemmie she didn’t start a post to get vulnerable women to speak up about it only to later reveal it was a paid partnership with superdrug.

I think like other accounts it grew organically but slowly things start to change.

I think people start this game with good intentions but get consumed by their newfound fame.

I would be happy to see the back on the lifestyle influencer niche. I'm not sure what it adds.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I don’t think Africa initially started off with a game plan. (I could say that that about others I follow). Some of her first posts were about maternal mental health and her experience of depression. Unlike Clemmie she didn’t start a post to get vulnerable women to speak up about it only to later reveal it was a paid partnership with superdrug.

I think like other accounts it grew organically but slowly things start to change.
Thanks for that, you obviously followed her earlier than I did.

I think people start this game with good intentions but get consumed by their newfound fame.

I would be happy to see the back on the lifestyle influencer niche. I'm not sure what it adds.
Yes that's probably true. I don't mind them making money to be honest, as long as they are transparent which I think Africa is. It's just a pity that she seemed to change.

What are we mad about with Africa though? The fact that we expected her to be poor and she isn't? At what point do we accept that people have to take responsibility for themselves. We know how influencing works and if you're going to be influenced surely that is slightly on you? As long as ads and affs are marked I don't see the big problem, as a consumer you have lots of choice if you want to buy.
In terms of her kids, I actually think she is one of the better ones, I don't know her kids names and I'm sure I've never seen their actual faces.
This is such an interesting conversation.

• Heart
What are we mad about with Africa though? The fact that we expected her to be poor and she isn't? At what point do we accept that people have to take responsibility for themselves. We know how influencing works and if you're going to be influenced surely that is slightly on you? As long as ads and affs are marked I don't see the big problem, as a consumer you have lots of choice if you want to buy.
In terms of her kids, I actually think she is one of the better ones, I don't know her kids names and I'm sure I've never seen their actual faces.
This is such an interesting conversation.
I'm personally not mad at her about anything. I think for me I'm a bit sad about how personality changed over time. How she gave the impression she was underprivileged and was annoyed about others not acknowledging their privilege, but spending a lot of money (and I know this is subjective) on clothes and home wares. This bit is my fault really though, as I just assumed she was buying mid range stuff but actually her jumpers were £200+ a go.

Re the kids, she used to show a lot of them, their names, their birthday parties etc. They were a focal part of her stories and grid squares IMO. It doesn't bother me too much as as parents we often make decisions on their behalf. SM personalities who show their kids prolifically then decide not to after their account has grown make me wonder if they just used the children to pull people in and once they reached their goal they then say they want privacy. I'm speaking generally speaking here, not just about Africa BTW.

ETA: one of the things I really didn't like about her was how sneery she could be about goods that she perceived about having no value simply because they were cheap. She used to say how she would save to buy better quality items, but never acknowledged that that is a privilege in itself. I don't know if she still does that, but she used to sneer at accounts that showcased low cost fashion items. Not everyone has the luxury of saving for a £200 jumper. If the weather changes and I need a jumper Primark or Asda might be the only place I can go.

Last edited:
I see her point about seeing black families living their lives etc but do we really need to see any family we don’t know living their lives? I have my own family and life! I guess basically I find the whole thing morally bankrupt especially when kids are involved but it might as well be diverse and yes, even in this trash industry representation is important. It’s still selling your kids and privacy though.
This!! Black, white, green, orange what the hell does it matter. The sooner this ‘look at us living while we sell you stuff’ culture ends the better

Also this.
Influencers are the modern day politician.

they all have a niche. I rent my home, im a Successful black woman, I work full time with 6 kids…. What ever it maybe. Ultimately behind this veneer the goal is to make money from social media.

if you couldn’t monetise Instagram they would leave in droves, all this spreading awareness stuff would be abandoned.

Just like a politician they talk the talk to get the following and once the foot is in the door, the snout goes firmly in the trough and all morals and principles are eroded

Last edited: