The Tim Tracker #142 The Bojan Horse

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So do they really need a separate pool barrier if they have a self closing and latching door as well as the door alarm?

I think given the dual purpose of the space now a separate barrier is a good idea but is it legally required?

Reactions: 9
So do they really need a separate pool barrier if they have a self closing and latching door as well as the door alarm?

I think given the dual purpose of the space now a separate barrier is a good idea but is it legally required?
No, idea don't live in FL. But I would think with a kid like J$ it should be done regardless. He wonders off a lot and I could see him very easily getting into that pool and hurting himself. And lord help them if they have that kitchen on and leave him unattended.

Legally they have to have the barrier fence OR the door alarm. I have not seen or heard anything to say they have the door alarm. That thing is annoying as duck. We pulled them down in about 20 seconds after the inspector left. But our kids were 15 and 16 at the time. If I had small children, I would not compromise on the safety fence. They are worse parents than we say they are if they do.

I will add--if they go the door alarm route, all the pool facing windows need to be alarmed as well. So the windows behind the couch too.

Reactions: 11
A Limerick

"No way would that pool be for me
Most probably still full of debris
They're really a joke
Unlike normal folk
I wouldn't even go in for a pee."

• Haha
Reactions: 16

You only have to have one of the solutions implemented.
---
Legally they have to have the barrier fence OR the door alarm. I have not seen or heard anything to say they have the door alarm. That thing is annoying as duck. We pulled them down in about 20 seconds after the inspector left. But our kids were 15 and 16 at the time. If I had small children, I would not compromise on the safety fence. They are worse parents than we say they are if they do.
There is also an alarm that you can put in the pool when it's not being used and it detects movement in the water. When movement is detected an alarm is set off in the house via a baby monitor like device.

I did spy something blue that maybe could look like a security system sign for maybe ADT or something in the muck when they were showing the outdoor area around the 6.07 mark. I have Simplisafe-no contract. But I have door sensors all over the place, so I'm wondering if ADT would have something akin to that may alert them when someone is in the pool area.

Reactions: 7
You only have to have one of the solutions implemented.
---

There is also an alarm that you can put in the pool when it's not being used and it detects movement in the water. When movement is detected an alarm is set off in the house via a baby monitor like device.
For us, and I’m not sure if the code is by county or state, that type of alarm was not good enough. And I get that, if the alarm went off once the child fell into the water by the time you got there, especially if you were upstairs or asleep, it could be too late.

I did spy something blue that maybe could look like a security system sign for maybe ADT or something in the muck when they were showing the outdoor area around the 6.07 mark. I have Simplisafe-no contract. But I have door sensors all over the place, so I'm wondering if ADT would have something akin to that may alert them when someone is in the pool area.
We also have an ADT type alarm and that also wasn’t good enough to meet pool alarm code. Maybe because an ADT alarm can be easily disengaged and if you don’t engage it, it doesn’t go off? If I’m home all day working, I don’t keep my home alarm set. I would think it would be the same for the working hard at home Bojo fam.

Reactions: 8
Doing a quick search about having an outdoor grill inside a screened area and I came across this:

View attachment 2366208

View attachment 2366227

These are from 2 different websites. Do they really not do any research on this? How is it we are so concerned over the safety of this, yet they don't seem to care.
When I was a kid in the mid-80's, our family moved down to South Florida and our house, and it seemed like everyone else in our neighborhood, all had screened in back yards with a pool. The one rule was never ever grill under the screening. We had fiberglass and didn't want it to melt. Those that had aluminum said the smoke and grease caused corrosion. However, by the time I finished college and left the state, no one, including my family, had the screens anymore. Maybe it's just one of those cyclic Florida fads.

Reactions: 10
The screened in pool enclosure and patio is less about blocking the sun than it is blocking out the absolute disgusting gigantic bugs and critters of swampy Florida. I lived there for 6 years and watched all the bugs attached to the outside of our screened in porch. Lovebugs, mosquitos, snakes, flies, spiders, frogs… it isn’t perfect and things still managed to get in, but if you don’t screen in your area it will be a disgusting breeding ground for bugs and critters. It’s absolutely necessary lol

Reactions: 18

No they do not.

Reactions: 3

Thank you for this info.
Pool Safety Features

In order to pass a final inspection and receive a certificate of completion, a residential swimming pool must meet at least one of the following requirements relating to pool safety features: (a) the pool must be isolated from access to a home by an enclosure that meets the pool barrier requirements stated below; (b) the pool must be equipped with an approved safety pool cover; (c) all doors and windows providing direct access from the home to the pool must be equipped with an exit alarm that has a minimum sound pressure rating of 85 dB A at 10 feet; or (d) all doors providing direct access from the home to the pool must be equipped with a self-closing, self-latching device with a release mechanism placed no lower than 54 inches above the floor.

Anyone who fails to equip a new residential swimming pool with at least one pool safety feature as required above commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, except that no penalty shall be imposed if, within 45 days after arrest, issuance of a summons or a notice to appear, has equipped the pool with at least one safety feature and has attended a drowning prevention education program.

Pool Barrier Requirements

As discussed above on of the pool safety features is an approved pool barrier. A residential swimming pool barrier must have allof the following characteristics: (a) the barrier must be at least 4 feet high on the outside; (b) the barrier may not have any gaps, openings, indentations, protrusions, or structural components that could allow a young child to crawl under, squeeze through, or climb over the barrier; (c) the barrier must be placed around the perimeter of the pool and must be separate from any fence, wall, or other enclosure surrounding the yard unless the fence, wall, or other enclosure is situated on the perimeter of the pool, is being used as part of the barrier, and meets the barrier requirements of the statute; and, (d) the barrier must be placed sufficiently away from the water’s edge to prevent a young child or medically frail elderly person who may have managed to penetrate the barrier from immediately falling into the water.

The structure of an aboveground swimming pool may be used as its barrier or the barrier for such a pool may be mounted on top of its structure; however, such structure or separately mounted barrier must meet all barrier requirements of the statute. In addition, any ladder or steps that are the means of access to an aboveground pool must be capable of being secured, locked, or removed to prevent access or must be surrounded by a barrier that meets the requirements.

Gates that provide access to swimming pools must open outward away from the pool and be self-closing and equipped with a self-latching locking device, the release mechanism of the gate must be located on the pool side and placed so that it cannot be reached by a young child over the top or through any opening or gap. A wall of a dwelling may serve as part of the barrier if it does not contain any door or window that opens to provide access to the swimming pool. A barrier may not be located in a way that allows any permanent structure, equipment, or similar object to be used for climbing the barrier
I don’t believe that Tim & Gin have any of these safety measures in place currently.

For now, no child safety fence around the pool.
And I am not convinced that the French doors leading out to the pool ever had any warning devices installed that would sound loudly when the door was being opened. Or a highly place lock to prevent little people opening the door.
---
This is 6:07. Is this what you were referring?
3BC28EEB-5D9E-4E9A-A6CA-11C0B91E11DE.png

If the blue in the window…I ran the video further to Jackson brushing his teeth at the kitchen sink.
E8B874F6-3F51-4E0A-BA9B-CD7A2912EF31.jpeg

It must have been a reflection. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
This is the temp right now where I'm at (in a suburb of metro Orlando)

Do we think Tim is at the parks with 4,578 fans attached to him?
Or do we think they're home - sitting in the A/C inside - complaining about the heat? 🥴

1691522737554.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
Here's a question for everyone, those of you with or without children can answer: Have any of you, ever routinely brushed your teeth in the kitchen? You, your partner, your kids, anyone. Have you ever witnessed someone brushing their teeth routinely in the kitchen?

Here's an example of when I'd think brushing your teeth in the kitchen would be ok: Your bathroom is being renovated or the sink is clogged/broken somehow. That's all I can come up with.

J$ is going to be 4 years old in 3 months. The kid only knows teeth brushing on the kitchen counter. There is a downstairs bathroom right near where the changing table is, kind of at the bottom of the stairs. J$ also has his own bathroom. Why don't they use the bathroom to brush teeth?

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Doing a quick search about having an outdoor grill inside a screened area and I came across this:

View attachment 2366208

View attachment 2366227

These are from 2 different websites. Do they really not do any research on this? How is it we are so concerned over the safety of this, yet they don't seem to care.

I think we are all worrying about this for nothing. They haven't grilled outside for years since they ran out of propane and have been too lazy to get some. That grill area will get minimal use, collecting dust, blood, and skin fragments from all the accidents. Then, we will get a video titled "Why we can't use our backyard anymore" because it is a safety hazard. Oops, they will blame J$, the saboteur!

• Haha
Reactions: 24
I don't understand the placement of that roof part of the addition. I suppose it will sort of protect the kitchen and supposed new couch/firepit area somewhat from rain, but it is sloping toward the east. That doesn't seem like it's going to give much shade during a good chunk of the afternoon. And I can't imagine Jen would ever be up early enough to be sitting and working out there anytime in the AM.

Between this and the bad placement of the grill and the way too big island, it's like they didn't plan out any of this at all. I can't wait until they buy a bunch of furniture and the firepit to make it even more crowded and unusable. Seems like a lot of money spent on something they surely will never use.

Reactions: 19
I think we are all worrying about this for nothing. They haven't grilled outside for years since they ran out of propane and have been too lazy to get some. That grill area will get minimal use, collecting dust, blood, and skin fragments from all the accidents. Then, we will get a video titled "Why we can't use our backyard anymore" because it is a safety hazard. Oops, they will blame J$, the saboteur!
I hope they don’t end up selling the house to someone with too much good faith. “Oh this looks kinda dangerous but I guess if it was the old owners wouldn’t have done it.”

Same goes for the kitchen window and sills.
Plus all the smoky fumes and soot leaking through the cracks of the windows themselves, into the house.

The fans that Tim bought and will be self installing I thought were for air circulation (ie. help to keep them cool).

I couldn’t figure out how he was going to deal with the by products of using a bbq in that enclosed space.

Now I know he didn’t put any thought into it,
So many questions?????
We are required to have a 10 ft clearance. Would that job require a permit and post-completion inspection? There are so many bad decisions on this project.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10
Thank you for this info.
Pool Safety Features

In order to pass a final inspection and receive a certificate of completion, a residential swimming pool must meet at least one of the following requirements relating to pool safety features: (a) the pool must be isolated from access to a home by an enclosure that meets the pool barrier requirements stated below; (b) the pool must be equipped with an approved safety pool cover; (c) all doors and windows providing direct access from the home to the pool must be equipped with an exit alarm that has a minimum sound pressure rating of 85 dB A at 10 feet; or (d) all doors providing direct access from the home to the pool must be equipped with a self-closing, self-latching device with a release mechanism placed no lower than 54 inches above the floor.

Anyone who fails to equip a new residential swimming pool with at least one pool safety feature as required above commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, except that no penalty shall be imposed if, within 45 days after arrest, issuance of a summons or a notice to appear, has equipped the pool with at least one safety feature and has attended a drowning prevention education program.

Pool Barrier Requirements

As discussed above on of the pool safety features is an approved pool barrier. A residential swimming pool barrier must have allof the following characteristics: (a) the barrier must be at least 4 feet high on the outside; (b) the barrier may not have any gaps, openings, indentations, protrusions, or structural components that could allow a young child to crawl under, squeeze through, or climb over the barrier; (c) the barrier must be placed around the perimeter of the pool and must be separate from any fence, wall, or other enclosure surrounding the yard unless the fence, wall, or other enclosure is situated on the perimeter of the pool, is being used as part of the barrier, and meets the barrier requirements of the statute; and, (d) the barrier must be placed sufficiently away from the water’s edge to prevent a young child or medically frail elderly person who may have managed to penetrate the barrier from immediately falling into the water.

The structure of an aboveground swimming pool may be used as its barrier or the barrier for such a pool may be mounted on top of its structure; however, such structure or separately mounted barrier must meet all barrier requirements of the statute. In addition, any ladder or steps that are the means of access to an aboveground pool must be capable of being secured, locked, or removed to prevent access or must be surrounded by a barrier that meets the requirements.

Gates that provide access to swimming pools must open outward away from the pool and be self-closing and equipped with a self-latching locking device, the release mechanism of the gate must be located on the pool side and placed so that it cannot be reached by a young child over the top or through any opening or gap. A wall of a dwelling may serve as part of the barrier if it does not contain any door or window that opens to provide access to the swimming pool. A barrier may not be located in a way that allows any permanent structure, equipment, or similar object to be used for climbing the barrier
I don’t believe that Tim & Gin have any of these safety measures in place currently.

For now, no child safety fence around the pool.
And I am not convinced that the French doors leading out to the pool ever had any warning devices installed that would sound loudly when the door was being opened. Or a highly place lock to prevent little people opening the door.
---

This is 6:07. Is this what you were referring?
View attachment 2366511

If the blue in the window…I ran the video further to Jackson brushing his teeth at the kitchen sink.
View attachment 2366525

It must have been a reflection. 🤷🏻‍♀️
That was what I saw. Can't even sort of give them the benefit of the doubt. Lazy slobs.

Here's a question for everyone, those of you with or without children can answer: Have any of you, ever routinely brushed your teeth in the kitchen? You, your partner, your kids, anyone. Have you ever witnessed someone brushing their teeth routinely in the kitchen?

Here's an example of when I'd think brushing your teeth in the kitchen would be ok: Your bathroom is being renovated or the sink is clogged/broken somehow. That's all I can come up with.

J$ is going to be 4 years old in 3 months. The kid only knows teeth brushing on the kitchen counter. There is a downstairs bathroom right near where the changing table is, kind of at the bottom of the stairs. J$ also has his own bathroom. Why don't they use the bathroom to brush teeth?
Because they do a very special nightly ritual that involves teeth brushing and the wishbone collection...ugh. More than likely though they just use it because they want to avoid cleaning more than one sink.

• Wow
I grew up in the 70s in 4 rooms with 4 kids, and 3 adults and 1 bathroom and never ever did we brush our teeth in the kitchen. Then when we had our 3 children, and they were growing up, there were 2 bathrooms. And we still didn't use the kitchen to brush any of their teeth. I just don't understand them. They are not teaching J$ anything useful IMO. Hopefully they don't still wash their blueberries in that sink.

Reactions: 14
I don't understand the placement of that roof part of the addition. I suppose it will sort of protect the kitchen and supposed new couch/firepit area somewhat from rain, but it is sloping toward the east. That doesn't seem like it's going to give much shade during a good chunk of the afternoon. And I can't imagine Jen would ever be up early enough to be sitting and working out there anytime in the AM.

Between this and the bad placement of the grill and the way too big island, it's like they didn't plan out any of this at all. I can't wait until they buy a bunch of furniture and the firepit to make it even more crowded and unusable. Seems like a lot of money spent on something they surely will never use.
There's an older video I ran across recently (can't remember exactly which one, could have been FRE or TTT) where Tim essentially said that they don't plan anything. Seems that's the one thing they stand by!

Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.