The Small Changes Support Thread

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ohh this thread is fun! So far I think I want to stick to a workout class x2 a week next month, and eat less sugar. Ironically fizzy drinks are the only source of sugar I don't over indulge in. I don't enjoy them that much but when my partner has them I have a sip. Those who struggle maybe you need flavoured water? my weakness is the free cakes I have access to. I take them cause they're there.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Ohh this thread is fun! So far I think I want to stick to a workout class x2 a week next month, and eat less sugar. Ironically fizzy drinks are the only source of sugar I don't over indulge in. I don't enjoy them that much but when my partner has them I have a sip. Those who struggle maybe you need flavoured water? my weakness is the free cakes I have access to. I take them cause they're there.
Oh I’m the same. Not bothered about fizzy drinks at all but if there’s a treat around I will just eat it.

Thanks for the walking tips!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I haven't worn my Fitbit in a while, I walk the dog twice a day and also I do workouts from home which so steps are usually about 8k off the top of my head, that citystrides looks good Gladiator, thank you!

Reactions: 2
I've been thinking about ways to reducing my spending pressure points for January - I've decided on these small changes (starting today and going until Feb 1st)...

- No Amazon (that's my one NYR for the whole year, so that's a given.)
- No craft supplies (I have more than enough to last a whole month.)
- No magazines / audiobooks (I have enough for a month.)
- No chocolate (it makes me ill anyway.)
- No gaming spending (except the two monthly passes I use on games I play daily. I feel like I get enough value from them to justify it.)

The main one is

- Food shops every three days. I'm trapped in the habit of doing micro-shops where I go in for only a packet of crisps and somehow spend £20 on random food. With an On-Off-Off-On-Off-Off pattern, if there is something I want to pop in for on an off-day then I can wait until a) the day after tomorrow or b) tomorrow, and make do with what I've got in.

It also feels like it would be easier to plan for a three day period than to try and plan for a weekly shop. I'd only need to: get a couple of bags of veg, get a packet of meat or fish, a packet of fruit and replace anything that has run out. Rather than sit and try and work out a complicated meal/budgeting plan.

So, those are my small changes. Hopefully I'll stick to them, it's only for 5 weeks anyway, so it's not a huge challenge like a No Buy year.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
See... the above post happens when I'm in a spiral 🤦‍♀️

How about, instead of that, I actually pick an attainable goal for January? I pledge to...

Check my bank balance every single day! I tend to Ostrich myself around finances, sometimes I even have more there than I think and then panic that there's nothing left. Sometimes there is nothing left but I don't realise that. So, I'm going to check every evening, so that I know exactly what is happening with it.

• Heart
See... the above post happens when I'm in a spiral 🤦‍♀️

How about, instead of that, I actually pick an attainable goal for January? I pledge to...

Check my bank balance every single day! I tend to Ostrich myself around finances, sometimes I even have more there than I think and then panic that there's nothing left. Sometimes there is nothing left but I don't realise that. So, I'm going to check every evening, so that I know exactly what is happening with it.
Checking daily is a good way to keep on top of it! I pick a certain time of day to sort my daily expenses, usually when I come back home from work so I'll know I won't be spending anything else that day. You can manage it 🙏

what a great idea for a thread 😊

i've been learning german for a few months now and today i'm on a 56 day streak on duolingo!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Stretched today for the first time in maybe a year? I used to be a lot more flexible, the situation doesn't look too bright. I'll spend a few minutes rolling out muscles and stretching every day, when I am more comfortable with daily stretches, I'll try more intentional routines. The ultimate goal is to achieve splits by the end of the year.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Hope everyone’s having a good Christmas time! I’m going easy on myself with food & fizzy drinks till the 1st of Jan. then I’m going to knock all fizzy drinks on the head and get back to my healthy eating 😊

• Heart
Well bugger. Just did my daily check on my bank balance and was down several hundred pounds compared to yesterday... turns out my rent standing order was pushed back because of bank holidays :rolleyes: It sucks, but it would have sucked 10,000 times more if I had not found out for a couple of weeks and had assumed yesterday's balance was accurate. I could have ended up in trouble there, but I've done calculations and I'll be fine.

This daily checking might be just what I need!

Reactions: 4
Bumping this because it's January and people might be planning their goals.

My plan for Jan - continue with reducing my spending.

• Heart
My plan it to cut down fizzy drinks, drink more water and read more! Reading is going well but I will start with the more water less fizzy today

I started drinking 2litres of water a couple of weeks ago so that not everything was a shock in the new year. I’m also trying intermittent fasting. I’d love to lose 10 pounds in the next couple months or so

• Heart
I don’t usually do NYR cos I usually have the ‘if there’s something I want to change or do, best time to start is now’ mindset but I’m gonna give myself one NYR and that is absolutely no fizzy drinks!! BUT I’m starting tomorrow because I’m hungover and I’m in the middle of drinking a bottle of orange lucozade 😂

other than that just in general for the year, not gonna be too strict:
- 10,000 steps a day
- at least 1/2 forms of exercise a day
- get back into walking
- save some money
- go down 1 dress size
- be happy 😅

• Heart
Good luck everyone!

I started my 10k steps yesterday, water uptake is going well and only having one cup of coffee. I've also already read one book so my read more goal is going well too

I'm going back to calorie counting so I KNOW I'm in a deficit. I'm okay with CC'ing it doesn't affect me much but now it can trigger others hence the spoiler warning. I also did a workout and my legs feel broken 😅

Good luck everyone!

I started my 10k steps yesterday, water uptake is going well and only having one cup of coffee. I've also already read one book so my read more goal is going well too

I'm going back to calorie counting so I KNOW I'm in a deficit. I'm okay with CC'ing it doesn't affect me much but now it can trigger others hence the spoiler warning. I also did a workout and my legs feel broken 😅
Almost finished my first book to! Thinking about getting a kindle now 😆

• Heart
Reactions: 2