The share my cat thread #5

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't have much advice on older cats, but the flinching seems normal,though depends what it looks like I guess, if it's what I'm imagining then most cats I've ever know do that!
Flinching is normal in all cats in my experience, certain cats just hate being touched in some places. Just learn what they like I think (for example one of mine loves having his face petted and hates me touching his back near his tail whereas the other loves it) well done for adopting an older cat ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 4
My guys love their bellies rubbed, I have to remember that when I see other cats. My darling Pooh Bear just loved having his curly tummy tickled.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Thank you all! He doesn't hiss or bite at all, I just noticed he flinches a bit when I touch his back. He purrs like a tractor and makes biscuits when I stroke his head and chubby cheeks though!! And loves tummy rubs. He's such a character and has converted me to 100% a cat lover.

• Heart
Advice on an old boy greatly appreciated! I was given this beautiful old man (15 years old!) from a neighbour. Took him to the vet about a month ago for a yearly check up; they said he's in great health aside from a bit of muscle wastage on his back legs (nothing advised, I give him joint supplements anyway) and that his teeth aren't in good nick but the vet said surgery at his age is just too much, and they'll do. He stuffs his face every chance he gets!

But he's my first cat and so every little thing worries me - sometimes he seems to flinch when I touch his back, especially if he's asleep, is this normal? He likes to spend the evening asleep on this shoe rug outside too, bizarrely. What are the 'things' to watch out for with older cats? I love this big lump with all my heart and only want the best for him.

View attachment 3000559
What a gorgeous boy. He looks content.
I would say something to look out for in older cats would be signs of renal disease. This article lists things to keep an eye on https://www.pdsa.org.uk/pet-help-and-advice/pet-health-hub/conditions/chronic-kidney-disease-in-cars I’m sure the vet will have asked questions to check for this so it’s just something for you to bear in mind.
Make sure you are feeding him an age-appropriate diet.
As he is getting old he may be a bit deaf so the flinch could also be that you are making him jump if you touch his back whilst he’s sleeping! As someone else suggest it could also be a bit of pain from arthritis due to his age - I would just make myself aware of his usual movements so you can monitor if he shows any signs of struggle like avoiding or having difficulty jumping. But as others have said - some cats just don’t enjoy being touched on certain areas! Welcome to cat ownership, you’ll never look back now! 🐈

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Does anyone have a clue what this is on my kittens ear ? I thought it was scratches from fighting with my other cats, now I’m second guessing myself

Attachments

Reactions: 2
Try just washing with water, if that doesn't work, you could try this. I got it from amazon and it seemed to work on a sore bit of skin one of mine had scratched like mad. Obviously if things get worse do see your vet/vet nurse for advice.

Attachments

Ugh naughty little boy brought in another live mouse yesterday. I feel terrible for the mice and have no idea what to do especially as he seems to take pleasure in playing with them sadisticwlly, tried to catch it but couldn't so had to just leave him to it. Does anyone have any advice?! It's just happening more and more atm

• Sad
Reactions: 5
Ugh naughty little boy brought in another live mouse yesterday. I feel terrible for the mice and have no idea what to do especially as he seems to take pleasure in playing with them sadisticwlly, tried to catch it but couldn't so had to just leave him to it. Does anyone have any advice?! It's just happening more and more atm
I live in the country & my little tortie cat is a devil.

She only seems to be limited by the size of the cat flap as to what she brings in! Pigeons & Rabbits are no problem to her, along with the usual mice. Thankfully she's never fetched a rat in... so far 😬

I keep a couple of boxes that cat food pouches come in, cut a small (mouse size) hole in one side seal them back up. The mice will hopefully run into them to take shelter. Then you can return them to the wild. NB take them a fair way away from your place if possible, as my cat has been known to recapture them from my garden.

I have repatriated many of the little chaps this way. Hope this is is of some help. ♥

• Heart
I live in the country & my little tortie cat is a devil.

She only seems to be limited by the size of the cat flap as to what she brings in! Pigeons & Rabbits are no problem to her, along with the usual mice. Thankfully she's never fetched a rat in... so far 😬

I keep a couple of boxes that cat food pouches come in, cut a small (mouse size) hole in one side seal them back up. The mice will hopefully run into them to take shelter. Then you can return them to the wild. NB take them a fair way away from your place if possible, as my cat has been known to recapture them from my garden.

I have repatriated many of the little chaps this way. Hope this is is of some help. ♥
Great idea! Will try this, fhank you!

• Heart
My kitten is still climbing my curtains! I've tried everything to stop her, distract her with other toys and take her down and say no. Will it ever stop??

• Heart
My kitten is still climbing my curtains! I've tried everything to stop her, distract her with other toys and take her down and say no. Will it ever stop??
Have you tried a spray bottle of water? Honestly, all I have to do is pick up something vaguely bottle-shaped and my guys stop whatever nonsense they're up to.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Have you tried a spray bottle of water? Honestly, all I have to do is pick up something vaguely bottle-shaped and my guys stop whatever nonsense they're up to.
I might need to try that, she seems to like water though! My other cat was the same as yours, even if I was cleaning the kitchen and picked up a bottle he would go sprinting 😄

• Haha