The Running Thread 🏃‍♀️

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi all, just checking in with everyone.

I'm planning on going out today on a 5km, but since I felt so sick doing it on Thursday I'm mentally putting it off. Honestly I long for the time I can just 'do' 5km without it feeling like a huge effort. Maybe that won't ever happen!

Have signed up to a virtual run in Feb so need to get my arse in gear really.
Good luck! I'm sure you'll smash it (but don't beat yourself up if it's not as good as you'd like 😊)

Hi all, just checking in with everyone.

I'm planning on going out today on a 5km, but since I felt so sick doing it on Thursday I'm mentally putting it off. Honestly I long for the time I can just 'do' 5km without it feeling like a huge effort. Maybe that won't ever happen!

Have signed up to a virtual run in Feb so need to get my arse in gear really.
My guide on c25k keeps saying that now I have got fitter it’s more of a mental challenge than a physical one. My scheduled run today is for 20 minutes. I’m looking forward to it to see if I can do it. Once I would have been putting it off thinking I couldn’t do it. A positive mindset isn’t easy, especially if you have had a setback. You can do it Saddlesoap.

Reactions: 2
Well I didn't manage 5km, just 3.8. A bit frustrated, but it's better than nothing. My calf was a bit sore and I think it was distracting me.

Reactions: 4
Finally managed to run 24 minutes without stopping for the first time in two months!
Next goal is 30 🤞🏻

Reactions: 6
Hello! I hope I can join this thread☺
I did nothing last lockdown and am determined to use these few months we are locked down to get fitter!

ive never been a runner, I just don’t have any stamina so ive been building up slowly. I started running for a couple of minutes and then walking.

I can now run for 15 minutes without stopping! It’s on a treadmill at 5mph pace so I’m sure it’s easier than road running but I’m definitely proud of myself!

Reactions: 5
Hello! I hope I can join this thread☺
I did nothing last lockdown and am determined to use these few months we are locked down to get fitter!

ive never been a runner, I just don’t have any stamina so ive been building up slowly. I started running for a couple of minutes and then walking.

I can now run for 15 minutes without stopping! It’s on a treadmill at 5mph pace so I’m sure it’s easier than road running but I’m definitely proud of myself!
Treadmill running is a bit easier but that matters not. It’s fantastic that you’re trying and good luck

Finally managed to run 24 minutes without stopping for the first time in two months!
Next goal is 30 🤞🏻
Well done
About the same level as me then. But judging by your user name you encounter a lot of hills. I live in the Fens and it’s flat as a pancake

Well I didn't manage 5km, just 3.8. A bit frustrated, but it's better than nothing. My calf was a bit sore and I think it was distracting me.
I have massive calves and when I first started running they were constantly sore and stopped me a few times. I tried changing my technique, tubigrip and running in the middle of the road rather than the side where there is a camber (I should say I run on an empty road which has been cut in half by a bypass so there is rarely any traffic). Seemed to stop injuring me but they were still sore. Since I started using running tights I have had no issues.
3.8 is better than 2 or 3.5. You can smash it next time

Last edited:
  • Heart
Well done
About the same level as me then. But judging by your user name you encounter a lot of hills. I live in the Fens and it’s flat as a pancake
Cool, hey running bud!
I actually live in a very flat part of Germany! I hate hills and mountains. Still haven’t reached the top of Snowdon 😂

Reactions: 4
Cool, hey running bud!
I actually live in a very flat part of Germany! I hate hills and mountains. Still haven’t reached the top of Snowdon 😂
I have been to the top of Snowdon twice. Neither time on the train! Was a long time ago though

Today I ran for 50 minutes in 10 mins intervals. Got my 5k PB - 34 mins so not fast at all but I couldn’t run 2 minutes without struggling back in November. And total of 9.5k in 65 mins with walking and running. I have to say I’ve always been sceptical of couch to apps but having almost completed couch to 10K I do now trust the process!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I ran 4 miles in 35 mins today and I still can’t quite believe it! I couldn’t run longer than 10 mins this time six months ago!

Love hearing people’s running stories on this thread ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Today I ran for 50 minutes in 10 mins intervals. Got my 5k PB - 34 mins so not fast at all but I couldn’t run 2 minutes without struggling back in November. And total of 9.5k in 65 mins with walking and running. I have to say I’ve always been sceptical of couch to apps but having almost completed couch to 10K I do now trust the process!
I did wonder if it was any good when I downloaded it. Today was the big jump from interval running to 20 minutes solid running. it Gradually builds up to 30 minutes which I never dreamed I could manage

Reactions: 1
I think I should go back to one of the apps. I'm just running and pausing when I need to then running again, but not sure that's working for me.

Treadmill running is a bit easier but that matters not. It’s fantastic that you’re trying and good luck

Well done

I have massive calves and when I first started running they were constantly sore and stopped me a few times. I tried changing my technique, tubigrip and running in the middle of the road rather than the side where there is a camber (I should say I run on an empty road which has been cut in half by a bypass so there is rarely any traffic). Seemed to stop injuring me but they were still sore. Since I started using running tights I have had no issues.
3.8 is better than 2 or 3.5. You can smash it next time
I've got compression socks for when I run in shorts. It was the run on Thursday that pulled it i think when I was running in leggings cos it was wet 🙄

Any tips for pacing? I always think I set off too fast. I can consciously slow myself down, but then find I've sped up again after a short period.

I think I should go back to one of the apps. I'm just running and pausing when I need to then running again, but not sure that's working for me.

I've got compression socks for when I run in shorts. It was the run on Thursday that pulled it i think when I was running in leggings cos it was wet 🙄

Any tips for pacing? I always think I set off too fast. I can consciously slow myself down, but then find I've sped up again after a short period.
Would making a running playlist that's the same tempo at which you want to be running work? I find if I listen to something with an obvious beat, I want to run in time to it.
Spotify used to make a playlist at a certain rpm based on your music which was pretty good, I don't know why they ever got rid of that 😒

Afraid not with pacing. At the moment I run at my natural pace and slow down when I need to. Sometimes I do find myself running to the tempo of whatever is playing in my ears.

Calf wise make sure you stretch them and warm them down properly. Like I said mine are big and hurt like buggery when they are sore
95286DC9-8CDF-4901-B4CE-978ABD2DBDBD.jpeg

Would making a running playlist that's the same tempo at which you want to be running work? I find if I listen to something with an obvious beat, I want to run in time to it.
Spotify used to make a playlist at a certain rpm based on your music which was pretty good, I don't know why they ever got rid of that 😒
Afraid not with pacing. At the moment I run at my natural pace and slow down when I need to. Sometimes I do find myself running to the tempo of whatever is playing in my ears.

Calf wise make sure you stretch them and warm them down properly. Like I said mine are big and hurt like buggery when they are sore

I actually don't listen to music when running 🙊
I prefer to listen to the birds. Plus I get really itchy ears when I use headphones for done reason.

Reactions: 1
I actually don't listen to music when running 🙊
I prefer to listen to the birds. Plus I get really itchy ears when I use headphones for done reason.
Not sure I can run without music! I use it to estimate time on couch to 5k for instance this bit is about 2 songs long. It helps me to concentrate on the song in my head rather than how tired I am

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.