The Running Thread 🏃‍♀️

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m not sure how many of you are road runners? I have to run on them due to injury and poor footpaths around my area. I do it completely safely and in addition to this I live in a village so the roads are 30mph. Do any of you end up on the receiving end me of abusive motorists who take real exception to it?

Reactions: 1
I’m not sure how many of you are road runners? I have to run on them due to injury and poor footpaths around my area. I do it completely safely and in addition to this I live in a village so the roads are 30mph. Do any of you end up on the receiving end me of abusive motorists who take real exception to it?
Me 🙋🏻‍♀️ I find it’s only certain cars that seem to get annoyed. I wear bone conductor headphones and the brightest running gear and hope for the best. My village is single track so I do get off the road to save aggro. Some just get so close and it felt safer for me to just move in for a few seconds - with a pause to my watch obvs 😂 to be honest I find running in town harder with pedestrians. They seem to hate us even more at the moment.

Reactions: 2
Yes, I run on the roads to, some drivers are so rude they even pull in closer to me but I stand my ground and continue to run then I get the horns blasting 😂 or they soak me when they go through the puddles

Me 🙋🏻‍♀️ I find it’s only certain cars that seem to get annoyed. I wear bone conductor headphones and the brightest running gear and hope for the best. My village is single track so I do get off the road to save aggro. Some just get so close and it felt safer for me to just move in for a few seconds - with a pause to my watch obvs 😂 to be honest I find running in town harder with pedestrians. They seem to hate us even more at the moment.
I just looked up bone conductor headphones and they look amazing. Have you got a particular pair you’d recommend? Want to order some. I have been nearly clipped a few times on empty roads!

Yes, I run on the roads to, some drivers are so rude they even pull in closer to me but I stand my ground and continue to run then I get the horns blasting 😂 or they soak me when they go through the puddles
I get the exact same. I just don’t get why people have such an issue. And more to the point, haven’t they got anything better to do with their time?!

Not cars but there’s a coastal path I love running on near me, it’s quite narrow but you can keep 2m apart however since Covid I’ve literally had a man shout that I shouldn’t be running, others just giving me general filthy looks and couples walking hand in hand towards me refusing to budge to prove a point so I have to stop and scale the steep grass verge to get out of their way 😡 I’ve quit going on it now for the most part unless it’s first thing in the morning and only the odd dog walker about. I wouldn’t in lockdown but I actually got to the stage of getting in the car and driving 20 mins to another town with a coastal path because it’s much wider 🙈

Reactions: 3
Not cars but there’s a coastal path I love running on near me, it’s quite narrow but you can keep 2m apart however since Covid I’ve literally had a man shout that I shouldn’t be running, others just giving me general filthy looks and couples walking hand in hand towards me refusing to budge to prove a point so I have to stop and scale the steep grass verge to get out of their way 😡 I’ve quit going on it now for the most part unless it’s first thing in the morning and only the odd dog walker about. I wouldn’t in lockdown but I actually got to the stage of getting in the car and driving 20 mins to another town with a coastal path because it’s much wider 🙈
OMG. Why shouldn't you be running?! What logic is that 🤣

• Haha
I just looked up bone conductor headphones and they look amazing. Have you got a particular pair you’d recommend? Want to order some. I have been nearly clipped a few times on empty roads!

I get the exact same. I just don’t get why people have such an issue. And more to the point, haven’t they got anything better to do with their time?!
I’ve got Aftershokz. Really rate them. Lightweight and very rarely need charging.

I use the aftershock titanium I think. I've had them for a couple of years and they're great.

Ive experienced some real dicks out running. I run with my dad as we live together and we always drop single file when approaching people or hop on the road. But the amount of people who walk 2/3 in a row and don’t budge then glare at you is incredible, we’ve also had a lot of people shouting we shouldn’t be together or should wear masks etc all from people also not wearing masks outside! I find some people walking with others just don’t care about trying to move out your way not only to respect the 2m thing but also to help you not having to run half in a tree. People seem to think walking is okay but running is evil.

Reactions: 4
Ive experienced some real dicks out running. I run with my dad as we live together and we always drop single file when approaching people or hop on the road. But the amount of people who walk 2/3 in a row and don’t budge then glare at you is incredible, we’ve also had a lot of people shouting we shouldn’t be together or should wear masks etc all from people also not wearing masks outside! I find some people walking with others just don’t care about trying to move out your way not only to respect the 2m thing but also to help you not having to run half in a tree. People seem to think walking is okay but running is evil.
These people need to get a grip. I honestly wonder whether these people have anything better to do with their time?!

First night run tonight, and first run on pavements (I usually go down the river because it's quieter and less likely to see people - I know nobody cares but I still always feel like I'll get judged for running too slowly or something 🤦‍♀️). Did the first 10 minutes consistent running which I think is my longest without walking 🎉🎉 second half walk /run but overall 3k in 20m20 so I'm happy with that 😊

How do people stay motivated to go out several times a week? Especially now it's cold and rainy, I find I go for a run and then make excuses for the next week or so. Starting to just make myself go rather than waiting for motivation, but any tips would be great!

First night run tonight, and first run on pavements (I usually go down the river because it's quieter and less likely to see people - I know nobody cares but I still always feel like I'll get judged for running too slowly or something 🤦‍♀️). Did the first 10 minutes consistent running which I think is my longest without walking 🎉🎉 second half walk /run but overall 3k in 20m20 so I'm happy with that 😊

How do people stay motivated to go out several times a week? Especially now it's cold and rainy, I find I go for a run and then make excuses for the next week or so. Starting to just make myself go rather than waiting for motivation, but any tips would be great!
Well done!!

I had to just make myself go and now I look forward to going because I know how good I feel, but for the first few weeks of doing couch to 10k I never wanted to go and didnt enjoy it, just try to make yourself go and eventually you will start to want to go!

Or set challenges - I am currently trying to beat my pace running up a hill so I like going to see how I improve!

Well done!!

I had to just make myself go and now I look forward to going because I know how good I feel, but for the first few weeks of doing couch to 10k I never wanted to go and didnt enjoy it, just try to make yourself go and eventually you will start to want to go!

Or set challenges - I am currently trying to beat my pace running up a hill so I like going to see how I improve!
Thanks, I'll just keep pushing myself to go and hope I soon want to do it 😊
I'm trying for 3k in 20 minutes and then it'll be 3k without stopping (setting these first because going straight to 5k challenges is scary!)

Can anyone recommend a supplement or something to help with dodgy knees? Mine aren’t in pain but my left knee just doesn’t feel right, a bit clicky and uncomfortable. I take vit c, d and fish oil omega 3 supplements already

I started running in June. I’ve always been fast: 100m in a shade over 11 seconds when I was pushing 20 stone, but I’ve never had much stamina. Bought some new trainers, ear pods and downloaded couchto5k and after a few weeks braved it. Tough at first but got up to week 6 after a few injuries then lockdown finished and I went back to swimming. This lockdown I decided to start again. Will be beginning week 5 tomorrow.
Still not over sure I enjoy running. I get a boost when I have finished, especially first time around, as I feel I have achieved something. I am very lucky though. On my running route I gain 6 ft going out and the same coming back as it’s flat here

I was exactly the same with the paranoia. I found myself watching runners when I was driving to try and compare pace. Then on Saturday I overtook someone! What a feeling! I think lockdown has helped as there are a lot of novice runners out and about probably feeling the same.

Motivation wise I have been lucky. In the summer I went in the mornings before work when it was warm. Having been made redundant I go at lunchtime now when it has warmed up a bit.
When I get dressed I put my running stuff on so I am ready to go without needing to change removing that excuse. I tell myself if I miss a day it will just be harder next time. I always run the same route so I can compare speed and distance accurately.
Another thing that helps me is I know someone at a similar stage to me so we motivate each other with a bit of healthy competition

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend a supplement or something to help with dodgy knees? Mine aren’t in pain but my left knee just doesn’t feel right, a bit clicky and uncomfortable. I take vit c, d and fish oil omega 3 supplements already
Strengthen your muscles instead - a supplement isn't going to help that. Also, see a physio.

Strengthen your muscles instead - a supplement isn't going to help that. Also, see a physio.
Also you might be hyperextending your knees which puts a lot of pressure on the joint. If you can sit flat on the floor with your legs in front of you, and lift your ankles off the floor, that's hyperextension. Try to stand and walk with relaxed knees.

Hi all, just checking in with everyone.

I'm planning on going out today on a 5km, but since I felt so sick doing it on Thursday I'm mentally putting it off. Honestly I long for the time I can just 'do' 5km without it feeling like a huge effort. Maybe that won't ever happen!

Have signed up to a virtual run in Feb so need to get my arse in gear really.

Also you might be hyperextending your knees which puts a lot of pressure on the joint. If you can sit flat on the floor with your legs in front of you, and lift your ankles off the floor, that's hyperextension. Try to stand and walk with relaxed knees.
You’re right that is what I’m doing!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.