The Running Thread 🏃‍♀️

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think they are too narrow for you. I had that with my first pair of brooks and I swapped for wide fit and it stopped completely.

ETA there are lots of Facebook selling sites you could sell them on. Also, if you know anyone with vitality health care they get something like 50% off trainers from runners need!
they are the wider fit version:( ooh thanks for the heads up, I think I have a friend with Vitality!

A lot of the staff in running shops will try and sell you the most expensive pair, alongside insoles, socks etc.

I’ve worn Nike Pegasus (neutral shoe) for 10+ years, and have never had any problems. I only buy them in the sale, and have never paid more than £75

There’s no evidence to suggest that changing or rotating shoe models gives you any benefit / makes you less injury prone. So once you’ve got a model you like, you can just repurchase the same model whenever you need a new pair. No need to reinvent the wheel and spend a small fortune.

Also, unless you’re running sub-15 5k for men, and sub-18 5k for women, and racing multiple times a month, please don’t believe the Nike Next% / Vaporfly hype. A lot of magazines and blogs have been promoting them as part of their ‘get fit in 2021’ articles, and they have no idea what they’re talking about!

Reactions: 4
A lot of the staff in running shops will try and sell you the most expensive pair, alongside insoles, socks etc.

I’ve worn Nike Pegasus (neutral shoe) for 10+ years, and have never had any problems. I only buy them in the sale, and have never paid more than £75

There’s no evidence to suggest that changing or rotating shoe models gives you any benefit / makes you less injury prone. So once you’ve got a model you like, you can just repurchase the same model whenever you need a new pair. No need to reinvent the wheel and spend a small fortune.

Also, unless you’re running sub-15 5k for men, and sub-18 5k for women, and racing multiple times a month, please don’t believe the Nike Next% / Vaporfly hype. A lot of magazines and blogs have been promoting them as part of their ‘get fit in 2021’ articles, and they have no idea what they’re talking about!
The one thing I would recommend though is having at least two pairs of shoes (they can be the same style) in your shoe rotation. You shouldn't use the same pair on consecutive days as it takes a whole for the foam to bounce back so by rotating between two you're reducing your risk of injury and extending the life of both pairs

Reactions: 2
hi everyone!
I have just started running doing the couch to 5k but feel I would benefit from some better suited trainers. I have looked at the Nike Infinity React and the Nike Pegasus, both recommend by friends. Does anyone have any experience in either of these? Any pros/cons to either?

hi everyone!
I have just started running doing the couch to 5k but feel I would benefit from some better suited trainers. I have looked at the Nike Infinity React and the Nike Pegasus, both recommend by friends. Does anyone have any experience in either of these? Any pros/cons to either?
I have two pairs of the Nike Pegasus and I love them. Think they are great for beginners ☺ Check if they have a sale on before you buy a pair. like @cx199 I‘ve always gotten mine cheaper

Reactions: 1
I have two pairs of the Nike Pegasus and I love them. Think they are great for beginners ☺ Check if they have a sale on before you buy a pair. like @cx199 I‘ve always gotten mine cheaper
Thank you for your response! I will have a look now ☺

Yeah they're pretty soft but they don't bounce compared to the asics nimbus lite, Nike oddysey reacts or Nike pegs if that makes sense? I use the guides for my long runs (though I set a 5km PB in the guide iso's many moons ago lol).

My shoe rotation is:
Saucony guide 13 and Brooks Ravena = long/ easy/ recovery (I don't like the Ravena as much as the adrenalin and wish I'd gotten those or another pair of guides)
Tempo/ slower speed work: oddysey react (I'll be moving these shoes to the easy run category)
Speed work: Nike peg 36s, Nike peg turbo or Nike tempo next %.

I really want to try the saucony endorphins pros and have been kicking round getting the meta racers but I've got 3x pairs of the reacts atm so need to whittle the collection down a bit lol And add the asics gel nimbus to the list! I tried them at a running store and bought a different pair because I wanted a racing shoe but I think the nimbus lite would work perfectly as a tempo shoe. It's got so much spring it's incredible.

Yes exactly! I still wear stability shoes for easy recovery and easy long runs because I want to give my muscles a break (and I pronate a bit) but I'm in neutral shoes for all my other stuff
Thank you so much for this comprehensive reply!

I only wish I could go into a running store and try them all on 😩

Will definitely look into them more though.

Thanks again x

hi everyone!
Hey well done 👍🏻 yeah I’m on my third Nike Pegasus 👍🏻 It’s best to size up at least a half size. My first pair I got in my true size, my nails bruised and almost came off 🥴 next pair I went up half a size and it was the best thing 🥳 happy feet happy nails 😂 and the third pair I got was Nike pegasus shield for when there’s puddles and raining, still a great trainer for running but they do NOT keep your feet dry despite what you see on YOUTUBE. All the best with your running

Hey well done 👍🏻 yeah I’m on my third Nike Pegasus 👍🏻 It’s best to size up at least a half size. My first pair I got in my true size, my nails bruised and almost came off 🥴 next pair I went up half a size and it was the best thing 🥳 happy feet happy nails 😂 and the third pair I got was Nike pegasus shield for when there’s puddles and raining, still a great trainer for running but they do NOT keep your feet dry despite what you see on YOUTUBE. All the best with your running
Thank you! It seems that the Pegasus have great reviews. Feeling positive about having a goal to achieve! 🥳☺

Tomorrow on my couch to 10K it’s a 30 minute solid run followed by a 2 minute walk and then a 5 minute run - if someone told me 8 weeks ago id be running 30 minutes I’d laugh let alone 30 minutes and then 5 more!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
hi everyone!
Hello! If you can get into a running store and get fitted properly please do. You may be able to take a video of you running and send it to a store for analysis if you're locked down. Running shoes are the main barrier between you and injury and everyone runs differently. Trusting what a stranger recommends online is like copying someone else's glasses prescription because they say they like theirs.

Hello! If you can get into a running store and get fitted properly please do. You may be able to take a video of you running and send it to a store for analysis if you're locked down. Running shoes are the main barrier between you and injury and everyone runs differently. Trusting what a stranger recommends online is like copying someone else's glasses prescription because they say they like theirs.
Second this 100%.

Yes, yes, yes! Or try to do quite a bit of reading around shoes, and try to video yourself to analyse your running style and then pick a pair based on your gait. Running shop's advice is best though! I used to get terrible shin splints until I changed my shoes and was recommended what pair to get rather than just picking a pretty pair. Has been revolutionary for my running! The shin splints were probably mostly caused by my heel striking, so had to stop that too, but the proper shoes for me also helped for sure.

Second this 100%.
100% agree when I was running regularly a few years ago I had awful trainers and was in constant pain in my ankle resulting in some damage - once I’d healed i got proper trainers and have never experienced the pain since due to running (I have in heels or flip flops but that’s because they are not practical shoes haha). Getting shoes properly for you is something easily overlooked but incredibly vital!

Oh my godddd I am so proud of myself. I managed to nail 2.25 miles in 30 mins. That’s the longest and quickest I have managed to run. Feel on course to smashing a 5k.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Going on a completely new route this morning, with an incline ....wish me luck 🙈

• Heart
You can do it!! Just remember it’s mind over matter. Ignore the voices telling you to stop and push push push!x
Well after all that, I got out and the pavements were really icy 🙄 so I couldn't do the route I had planned. I did do 5.1km in 35mins though 🎉

Thanks for the support 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Well after all that, I got out and the pavements were really icy 🙄 so I couldn't do the route I had planned. I did do 5.1km in 35mins
Brilliant!!!! It’s sometimes frustrating when things don’t go to plan but sometimes I get the best results on those runs!

It's so hard at the moment with COVID being really bad in my area (in top 10 highest increases this week 😣) I'm scared to run on my traditional routes because of the narrow footpaths which are really busy and people don't seem to respect my space.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.