The Running Thread 🏃‍♀️

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If anyone has tips to not look like a beetroot please do share 😂 I hate how red I go!
Me too. Unfortunately I think it is something we are cursed with. I can go out in the cold and still be beetroot, in the summer it’s even worse! I’m over weight to and it makes me soooo self conscious that people think I’m going to keel over haha. In the summer I carried a small bottle of face cooling spray on my bum bag! Helped a little in stopping my face feeling too hot!

Reactions: 2
Me too. Unfortunately I think it is something we are cursed with. I can go out in the cold and still be beetroot, in the summer it’s even worse! I’m over weight to and it makes me soooo self conscious that people think I’m going to keel over haha. In the summer I carried a small bottle of face cooling spray on my bum bag! Helped a little in stopping my face feeling too hot!
yes I unfortunately agree I have tried all the ‘tips’ online but nothing helps. I feel more self conscious in the gym than running but I do mainly embrace it now - it’s fun when i wear pink or red I look like one giant pink blob moving around haha. I do think generally other people don’t care though it’s in our heads isnt it - it’s a bit of a joke with my family how red I get haha they judge how red i return to determine how hard they think I’ve worked 😂
I’ll have to try that in the summer!

• Haha
Reactions: 1
As you can see everyone's idea of fast is relative. You're not going to get faster if you go out everyday and just try to run faster. Have some structured training, a good way to start is 1x speed session, 1x easy run and 1x long run per week. The easy and long runs should be super slow and conversational. E.g. My tempo pace is 4.30/km but my easy and long runs are between 6-6.30/km
That’s very true! Thank you ☺

Ice is the worst - there are some roads and pavements here which have been covered in it for about 2 weeks! Second the suggestion about getting some trail shoes or grippier ones - also generally non-paved surfaces are a bit easier to run on (although hard grass has a different sort of ankle twisting danger...)

Slightly running related question but I am considering upgrading my phone from an iPhone 8 (fits in my shorts waistband pocket) to an 11 or 12 (which probably won’t). Any of you runners run with your phones and have any good suggestions about carrying a massive phone? If I’m only doing a short run I don’t bother taking it but longer ones I like to! I don’t like bum bags or arm bands but would consider a flip belt or something very slimline maybe...?!
I used a bum bag / fanny pack or whatever people call them these days. Just a black one I have an iPhone XS Max and fits a few other bits in there too and doesn’t hinder my running :)

That’s very true! Thank you ☺

I used a bum bag / fanny pack or whatever people call them these days. Just a black one I have an iPhone XS Max and fits a few other bits in there too and doesn’t hinder my running :)
Also a bum bag! Phone, and a mask in there but when I used to do 10ks/long runs I’d have allll the things in there.

I love my bum bag for running. I would be lost without it.

Feeling really happy with myself. I’ve comfortable passed my 2mile barrier. My pace is soooo slow. Managing about 2.2 miles in 30 mins but it’s a huge achievement for me. Really want to be able to nail a 5k by the end of jan but not sure I’ll be able to as I can only run twice a week due to injury ☹

Reactions: 6

Feeling really happy with myself. I’ve comfortable passed my 2mile barrier. My pace is soooo slow. Managing about 2.2 miles in 30 mins but it’s a huge achievement for me. Really want to be able to nail a 5k by the end of jan but not sure I’ll be able to as I can only run twice a week due to injury ☹
Awesome job!
Staying healthy is more important. 5k in mid February sounds awesome too x

Well done!

I am super slow these days but I've stopped beating myself up about it. I just run for enjoyment/mental health and I find this helps my approach to it.

I did 8k this morning. Wanted to do 10 but my knees weren't happy and I'm absolutely shattered today.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
Has anyone got any good recommendations for stability trainers to help correct overpronation? Preferably ones that aren’t too pricy.

I currently wear Hoka One Arahis but they start to give me blisters on the bottom of my foot if I do anything above 5k:(

Has anyone got any good recommendations for stability trainers to help correct overpronation? Preferably ones that aren’t too pricy.

I currently wear Hoka One Arahis but they start to give me blisters on the bottom of my foot if I do anything above 5k:(
That may be the fit of them/ your running socks rather than the trainers themselves.

Also 'correcting overpronation' is a bit of a myth these days - most people do better in neutral shoes as that helps you develop the muscles you need for stability. As always, get into a running shop if you can and get fitted properly. They'll also let you try multiple pairs of shoes so the sometimes higher price (aka no discounts) is worth it in my opinion because you know you're walking out with a shoe that 100% works for you. If running shops are closed due to a lockdown, get someone to take a video of you running (capturing from the knees down) and see if you can get that analysed online/ sent to a running store.

Lastly - spend money on your shoes! They're the most important thing in your aresenal and if fitted properly will prevent you getting injured. Skimp on clothing etc etc but don't skimp on runners - they're the one slightly expensive part to the sport.

In terms of stability shoes these are my own experiences. My all time favourite shoes are the Saucony Guide 13s - they're stability shoes. The brooks equivalents Adrenaline/ Ravena aren't bad either (I prefer the guides though). I know the asics gel kayanos are very popular as well but I've never run in them.

Reactions: 4
That may be the fit of them/ your running socks rather than the trainers themselves.

Also 'correcting overpronation' is a bit of a myth these days - most people do better in neutral shoes as that helps you develop the muscles you need for stability. As always, get into a running shop if you can and get fitted properly. They'll also let you try multiple pairs of shoes so the sometimes higher price (aka no discounts) is worth it in my opinion because you know you're walking out with a shoe that 100% works for you. If running shops are closed due to a lockdown, get someone to take a video of you running (capturing from the knees down) and see if you can get that analysed online/ sent to a running store.

Lastly - spend money on your shoes! They're the most important thing in your aresenal and if fitted properly will prevent you getting injured. Skimp on clothing etc etc but don't skimp on runners - they're the one slightly expensive part to the sport.

In terms of stability shoes these are my own experiences. My all time favourite shoes are the Saucony Guide 13s - they're stability shoes. The brooks equivalents Adrenaline/ Ravena aren't bad either (I prefer the guides though). I know the asics gel kayanos are very popular as well but I've never run in them.
i did spend a lot of money😣 I initially went with a more neutral shoe (Adidas ultra boost) but they weren’t right for me. Then I went to a running shop to get fitted and they recommended me the Hoka Ones, they cost me just as much as the Adidas ones but were an even worse fit which is why I’m not so keen on spending lots on a 3rd pair😭 I’ll check out the ones you suggested though, thankyou!

I’ve tried a couple of different running socks and they do help up to a point but when it gets to the longer distances that’s when the blisters start. Can you recommend any good ones?

Argh I haven't gone for a run since 22nd December and that was on the treadmill! Done a lot of walking though and HIIT. The weather is putting me off, it's been really icy here, I'm extremely accident prone and I've slipped loads just walking on it so I'm terrified to run on it. It's not icy anymore just grim, I really do wish the gym was open 😩 still sticking to Dry January even though it feels like I've been doing it about 100 years 😂

Reactions: 3
i did spend a lot of money😣 I initially went with a more neutral shoe (Adidas ultra boost) but they weren’t right for me. Then I went to a running shop to get fitted and they recommended me the Hoka Ones, they cost me just as much as the Adidas ones but were an even worse fit which is why I’m not so keen on spending lots on a 3rd pair😭 I’ll check out the ones you suggested though, thankyou!

I’ve tried a couple of different running socks and they do help up to a point but when it gets to the longer distances that’s when the blisters start. Can you recommend any good ones?
I swear by my 1000 mile socks - i have two pairs and have never had any issues!

Do the Saucony Guide 13s give a nice "bounce" if that makes sense? I just bought some Adidas Ultraboost to replace my previous Adidas (which I really liked) and whilst the Ultraboost are really comfortable they don't really give me that light-footed bouncy energy return and my knees are hurting.

If you have blisters they may be too narrow. I cannot recommend Brooks Adrenalin enough. They are soooo good. You always want to aim for half a size bigger in your running trainers

I've never gotten a blister and routinely run half marathons and have trained and run for one full
I like the steigen no show ones because I prefer a thinner sock material. Cotton is a bad material for socks and make sure they're sweat wicking. Where are you getting the blisters?

I've got the most overpronated feet imaginable, and I don't wear stability shoes. I figured that if my muscles have developed to cope with how my feet are naturally, why would I change that? I've tried and it just gives me cramps and blisters, but I've run up to 10k in a pair of neutral shoes in the past.

Do the Saucony Guide 13s give a nice "bounce" if that makes sense? I just bought some Adidas Ultraboost to replace my previous Adidas (which I really liked) and whilst the Ultraboost are really comfortable they don't really give me that light-footed bouncy energy return and my knees are hurting.
Yeah they're pretty soft but they don't bounce compared to the asics nimbus lite, Nike oddysey reacts or Nike pegs if that makes sense? I use the guides for my long runs (though I set a 5km PB in the guide iso's many moons ago lol).

My shoe rotation is:
Saucony guide 13 and Brooks Ravena = long/ easy/ recovery (I don't like the Ravena as much as the adrenalin and wish I'd gotten those or another pair of guides)
Tempo/ slower speed work: oddysey react (I'll be moving these shoes to the easy run category)
Speed work: Nike peg 36s, Nike peg turbo or Nike tempo next %.

I really want to try the saucony endorphins pros and have been kicking round getting the meta racers but I've got 3x pairs of the reacts atm so need to whittle the collection down a bit lol And add the asics gel nimbus to the list! I tried them at a running store and bought a different pair because I wanted a racing shoe but I think the nimbus lite would work perfectly as a tempo shoe. It's got so much spring it's incredible.

I've got the most overpronated feet imaginable, and I don't wear stability shoes. I figured that if my muscles have developed to cope with how my feet are naturally, why would I change that? I've tried and it just gives me cramps and blisters, but I've run up to 10k in a pair of neutral shoes in the past.
Yes exactly! I still wear stability shoes for easy recovery and easy long runs because I want to give my muscles a break (and I pronate a bit) but I'm in neutral shoes for all my other stuff

I've never gotten a blister and routinely run half marathons and have trained and run for one full
I like the steigen no show ones because I prefer a thinner sock material. Cotton is a bad material for socks and make sure they're sweat wicking. Where are you getting the blisters?
on the bottom on the ball of my foot. I didn’t have this issue with my Adidas shoes so I think it’s an issue with the Hokas in particular, since buying them I’ve read a couple of bad reviews where people are having the same issue. Thicker padded running socks seem to help but when I get above 5k that’s when I start to feel the pinch on the bottom of my feet.

on the bottom on the ball of my foot. I didn’t have this issue with my Adidas shoes so I think it’s an issue with the Hokas in particular, since buying them I’ve read a couple of bad reviews where people are having the same issue. Thicker padded running socks seem to help but when I get above 5k that’s when I start to feel the pinch on the bottom of my feet.
I think they are too narrow for you. I had that with my first pair of brooks and I swapped for wide fit and it stopped completely.

ETA there are lots of Facebook selling sites you could sell them on. Also, if you know anyone with vitality health care they get something like 50% off trainers from runners need!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.