The Royal Family

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I never said that he didn't have a life of luxury after he married QE. I was responding to the inaccuracy that he'd never had hard work or stress in his life. Before and after his marriage, his life was very different. Their marriage also started having problems after he had to give up his career and take second place at all times, including his children not carrying his surname, when a father's name was standard at the time for legitimate children. While he may have had physical comfort, such things as being forced out of a career you love have been shown to be psychologically damaging to many people. In addition, it has long been rumoured that Andrew is not his child.

While I don't deny that he has lived in luxury for nigh on 75 years, it is denying history to say that he has never known anything else.
No one made him get married. He had a great deal, I really don’t think he was psychologically damaged by leaving the Navy. If he was that dedicated he could have stayed single and in the Navy. All he has done since is be rude to different nationalities, ridden horses, then carriage driving and other monied pursuits.

Reactions: 9
I won’t be shedding any tears for the plight of Prince Philip.

So he had to go to an expensive public school where life wasn’t luxurious? Boo hoo. Boarding fees at Gordonstoun now are £37k a year. Who was paying that for Philip? His impoverished noble family, of course. He can’t have found it too much of a trial because he sent his own sons there.

In between his gruelling stints at school, he lived at Kensington Palace. The hardship!

I wonder what life was like for most teenage boys in the 1930s? I imagine that the home of your average teenager born in 1921 was a great deal less luxurious than Gordonstoun and Kensington Palace. What with the depression and the means test etc. How many nights did Philip have bread and dripping for dinner, I wonder?

Almost everyone will have been worried about family members during the second world war. Almost every man born in 1921 will have done active service. Prince Philip had it far easier than the vast, vast majority of people his age.

He proposed to queenie in 1946, when he was 25. Thus ensuring a life of luxury for the rest of his days. He knew that his kids wouldn’t have his surname; I’m sure that the buckets of cash made up for it.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
No one made him get married. He had a great deal, I really don’t think he was psychologically damaged by leaving the Navy. If he was that dedicated he could have stayed single and in the Navy. All he has done since is be rude to different nationalities, ridden horses, then carriage driving and other monied pursuits.
And adultery, allegedly of course.

Reactions: 3
I won’t be shedding any tears for the plight of Prince Philip.

So he had to go to an expensive public school where life wasn’t luxurious? Boo hoo. Boarding fees at Gordonstoun now are £37k a year. Who was paying that for Philip? His impoverished noble family, of course. He can’t have found it too much of a trial because he sent his own sons there.

In between his gruelling stints at school, he lived at Kensington Palace. The hardship!

I wonder what life was like for most teenage boys in the 1930s? I imagine that the home of your average teenager born in 1921 was a great deal less luxurious than Gordonstoun and Kensington Palace. What with the depression and the means test etc. How many nights did Philip have bread and dripping for dinner, I wonder?

Almost everyone will have been worried about family members during the second world war. Almost every man born in 1921 will have done active service. Prince Philip had it far easier than the vast, vast majority of people his age.

He proposed to queenie in 1946, when he was 25. Thus ensuring a life of luxury for the rest of his days. He knew that his kids wouldn’t have his surname; I’m sure that the buckets of cash made up for it.
I don't think privilege negates trauma though, especially childhood trauma. Money and a boarding school and a palace for the holidays doesn't replace a lost family unit.

He may have had it far easier than many Britons of his generation, but that doesn't mean he didn't also have struggles.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I don't think privilege negates trauma though, especially childhood trauma. Money and a boarding school and a palace for the holidays doesn't replace a lost family unit.

He may have had it far easier than many Britons of his generation, but that doesn't mean he didn't also have struggles.
Its true, that money wont buy your happiness or your health either, look at Diana. However, all said and done its better to be rich and unhappy than poor and unhappy. Financial struggles on top of everything else can be overwhelming.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
The Daily Mail comments are killing me, especially that first one 😂
View attachment 191755
That does look bad. Why would you recommend the office below you to your ex, no matter how friendly you were, especially when you'd just got married. They were always going to see each other because of their child but why work so close to each other?

Reactions: 6

Who said that he didn’t have emotional struggles? Everybody does. It’s part of being human. The point is that he has ‘struggled’ far less than most men of his age, especially because he’s never had to deal with years of hard physical work, chronic lack of money, poor quality food and poor housing and lack of access to healthcare, and that’s why he has lived to 99.

Reactions: 7
I'm too scared to go on the Meghan and Harry thread, but what do you think about that new book about them? I can well believe that the palace courtiers were racist and resentful towards Meghan. Most people who do that job are obsequious arse lickers and wouldn't be best pleased with having someone they saw as not worthy that they had to serve. I also think it's far more plausible that Harry was fed up being the 3rd wheel to Kate and William. I mean, they werent a threesome. They were a married couple with children and a grown man being paraded around behind them.

Reactions: 8
I'm too scared to go on the Meghan and Harry thread, but what do you think about that new book about them? I can well believe that the palace courtiers were racist and resentful towards Meghan. Most people who do that job are obsequious arse lickers and wouldn't be best pleased with having someone they saw as not worthy that they had to serve. I also think it's far more plausible that Harry was fed up being the 3rd wheel to Kate and William. I mean, they werent a threesome. They were a married couple with children and a grown man being paraded around behind them.
I always think it’s likely the staff are more snobby than the people they serve! Maybe I’ve seen too much downton abbey lol

• Haha
The move of the ex into the same building is a HUGE mistake.... London is big enough and I am sorry for Bea having to wonder how much time the 2 exes chat together or eat and drink together...even if it is platonic and in the open it is still hard for a new bride to bear.

The move of the ex into the same building is a HUGE mistake.... London is big enough and I am sorry for Bea having to wonder how much time the 2 exes chat together or eat and drink together...even if it is platonic and in the open it is still hard for a new bride to bear.
Innocent or not, it is very disrespectful of Eduardo towards his new bride.

Reactions: 13
Innocent or not, it is very disrespectful of Eduardo towards his new bride.
Though given he cheated on Dara with Bea, not sure he’s fully across what is ‘disrespectful’ in a relationship 😬

For everyone’s sake, especially for the little boy, I hope they have a happy co-parent relationship with boundaries and Edo and B have a happy marriage.

I always think it’s likely the staff are more snobby than the people they serve! Maybe I’ve seen too much downton abbey lol
People whove had contact with them have often said that they think they are a cut above others who work in hospitality or work in other large houses. I suppose they have to get some self respect from somewhere. It can't possibly come from helping grown adults get dressed every morning!

Reactions: 14
As much as I feel sorry for Bea for being placed in this situation, I feel like she ignored a red flag at the very beginning. I would never get tangled up with a man who is "platonically" living with his ex fiancee under the same roof. I'm sure the excuse was they did it for the child, if it was really for the child then daddy wouldn't move out anyway to go live with a princess a mere few months later. Sharing an office building is also not for the child, it's for themselves. Beatrice is either naive, or was desperate to marry... or both.

• Sad
Reactions: 14
As much as I feel sorry for Bea for being placed in this situation, I feel like she ignored a red flag at the very beginning. I would never get tangled up with a man who is "platonically" living with his ex fiancee under the same roof. I'm sure the excuse was they did it for the child, if it was really for the child then daddy wouldn't move out anyway to go live with a princess a mere few months later. Sharing an office building is also not for the child, it's for themselves. Beatrice is either naive, or was desperate to marry... or both.
She has also lived with the unconventional example of her parents’ post-divorce ménage, so maybe it seems ordinary to her.

Reactions: 15
I fully agree with that. I do think Harry was frustrated and there's quite some truth there that he was already fed up before Meg came along. But the way things went as she came into his life, I think a lot of blame lies at her feet, still. There's a lot of revisionism and let's not forget this is Omid's book, someone Meg has (allegedly...) always worked with, so undoubtedly I think this is in the same way a co-operation as Diana and Morton were. So not all can be believed (Diana exaggerated and told outright porkies to Morton, too, like thrwoing herself down the stairs when actually she stumbled on the last two or so steps and didn't fall).
Meg's bad behaviour, frequent staff changes, diva demands; and this being angry about "being placed behind Charles & Cam and Will & Kate" can only be 85% Meg, who's never experienced anything like this and didn't like this strict hierarchy and 15% Harry, who for sure became frustrated, but ultimately knew no different all his life and knew how to live with it and deal with it.

The H&M thread moves way too fast to keep up, any bit said I feel like is screaming into a black hole as it gets pushed down quickly by new posts and I can't say anything positive at all without being attacked (or say anything negative about the Cambs without being attacked either), so I've been on their threads rather rarely and infrequently. I don't mind talking about them a bit here, unless talk about them overshadows literally all else, which would make it moot and their own thread a better place...

Makes me still laugh when I agreed with the negative bits about Meg and offered my (negative) opinions and thoughts and all was well and literally next post I said something positive and was accused of being a Meghan fan and then a discussion broke out amongst the main contributors of that thread how Meg fans regularly try to defend her and are pathetic and it's no place for Meg fans ("go to the rave section!") and the-like.... :rolleyes: 🤦‍♀️

I always say, you can like someone and still criticize them or dislike someone and still praise them for something well done or a nice outfit...

It's also really odd that Dara has her office in Edo's building, I'd hate that if I were Bea. There's no reason for that at all (unless it's temporary for whatever reason). I think I'd throw a right hissy-fit if I were in Bea's shoes.

Reactions: 12
The H&M thread moves way too fast to keep up, any bit said I feel like is screaming into a black hole as it gets pushed down quickly by new posts and I can't say anything positive at all without being attacked (or say anything negative about the Cambs without being attacked either), so I've been on their threads rather rarely and infrequently. I don't mind talking about them a bit here, unless talk about them overshadows literally all else, which would make it moot and their own thread a better place...
I find some threads move along faster than I can read as well.In my case it has to do with the time zones in the world, when I go to bed one topic is busy when I get up it is dead... ( I am in Europe) and it depends how many people in one group live in UK/Europe / USA that contribute the most comments. I usually just read back for about 10 comments and take it from there.I spend too much tattle time as it is,being in multiple threads....:rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Makes me still laugh when I agreed with the negative bits about Meg and offered my (negative) opinions and thoughts and all was well and literally next post I said something positive and was accused of being a Meghan fan and then a discussion broke out amongst the main contributors of that thread how Meg fans regularly try to defend her and are pathetic and it's no place for Meg fans ("go to the rave section!") and the-like.
Agree. I think Meghan and Harry have behaved badly as well. I do think more of the blame lies with Harry though. He knew the Royal machine. She doesnt. He could have prepared her more. Hes used her as a human shield. Hes thick but not hypnotised. The main thing I find weird though is peoples obsessive hatred of them ( particularly her).Are they really that worried that the 7th in line to the Throne and his wife are going to bring down the Monarchy? Really? Not the paedophile sympathiser son, or reports saying that having Royal patronage makes no difference to how much charities receive, making them almost completely obsolete? Or even that our monarchy looks like a ridiculous throwback to the dark ages and will need a complete overhaul if it is to continue? Are they rubbing their hands with glee at the thought of a divorce that will mean a little boy will live his life in a different country from his mother or his father for the rest of his life? It makes no sense. Just let them get on with it.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.