The Royal Family

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just saw this in a group I follow on Facebook... Has anyone else ever heard of this?

Body in the Wall

Mary, Queen of Scots gave birth to her son, James, in the castle’s “birthing room”–or did she?
It is said that during excavations of the castle “the skeleton of a newborn child wrapped in a rich silken cloth [was found] built into the wall of the banqueting hall next to the castle courtyard. The silk cloth was identified as belonging to Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots.” Some speculate that Mary’s son died at birth, the tragedy was hushed up, and the baby of another lady at court was substituted.
My goodness! Which castle would that be??

Reactions: 1
I am Irish and a few years ago I was visiting my Aunt in New York. She said to me one evening, you know that cousin of ours that got married to the cousin of Princess Grace of Monaco... No? Apparently I am related (by marriage) to the Monaco royalty!!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
No, she doesn’t but at least she’s good at what she does. She could just meet up with her friends and go shopping, watch Loose Women etc like a lot of women in their mid 50s who stopped working when they had their first child. I’m a bit younger than her and lots of the women I know her age don’t work, they bought their first properties in the late 80s and have comfortable set ups.
The difference is those people don’t have grace and favour residences, servants, privilege beyond dreams and everything else including their bank balances, given to them on a plate, not having to worry about their children’s or grandchildren’s futures because they’re assured. Sure she can step in and do some work, least she can do!

Reactions: 7
I was reading something this morning about the Spanish Royals. Blimey that Juan Carlos being forced to abdicate because of his dodgy tax dealings. I wonder if that would happen here or whether the press would cover it up? Our Royals would probably get away with a lot more because of the amount of arse lickers we have in the press.
You’re not wrong. Our royal family have some very advantageous tax arrangements. The queen only started paying tax, ‘voluntarily’ (haha) in the nineties. Nobody knows how much she pays or whether she pays at the same rates as the rest of us. Bothe the Duchy of Lancaster and the Duchy of Cornwall enjoy special tax concessions. There’s a very good book called, ‘And What Do You Do?’ that covers this subject, and others related to the behaviour of the royals in detail.

I’ll read up on Juan Carlos’s activities. One of his daughters, and the sister of the current king, was arrested with her husband a couple of years ago for embezzling pubic funds via a charity. How modern royals must wish that they had been around in a time when we all knew our places and never questioned what went on!

Reactions: 8
Edinburgh I think?!
Would mean our entire royal family isn't royal wouldn't it?! I doubt it's true but I love stuff like this.
Pretty sure the odds of that at some point are very high!

The MQOS baby in the wall thing has been around for a long time.

Reactions: 2
You’re not wrong. Our royal family have some very advantageous tax arrangements. The queen only started paying tax, ‘voluntarily’ (haha) in the nineties. Nobody knows how much she pays or whether she pays at the same rates as the rest of us. Bothe the Duchy of Lancaster and the Duchy of Cornwall enjoy special tax concessions. There’s a very good book called, ‘And What Do You Do?’ that covers this subject, and others related to the behaviour of the royals in detail.

I’ll read up on Juan Carlos’s activities. One of his daughters, and the sister of the current king, was arrested with her husband a couple of years ago for embezzling pubic funds via a charity. How modern royals must wish that they had been around in a time when we all knew our places and never questioned what went on!
I'll read that book. Yes the sisters were stripped of all their Royal duties and titles by King Felipe.
The thing is people always slagged off the Royals. Henry viii was mocked and ridiculed by the common folk. The Queen Mother was booed in the East End. Victoria survived many assassination attempts. The press make them out to be beloved leaders and cover up their indiscretions but they were always criticised and questioned. The establishment protects them for their own benefit.

Reactions: 7
Ooh yes, lots of scurrilous theories. She was a man (hence never married), she had a lover think erm Robert Dudley whose wife died in suspicious circumstances but she didn't marry him due to rumour he'd shoved the wife down the stairs and she didn't want her reputation tainted by a possible murderous spouse, oh and also she was actually the court bike, not a virgin at all and up for it with anyone!

Imagine if they'd had Tudor Tattle 🤣

Edit:
Sorry, still catching up! Back to more recent times...
I read a really interesting book where they looked back at her historical laundry and linen records and it looks like she had periods (so wasn't a man) but they were never regular. Apparently she fasted an awful lot for religous reasons and this could have affected her fertility further. Her sister Mary I also had a similar menstrual pattern of very occasioanl periods, so it could be a genetic reason they couldn't have kids.

I am Irish and a few years ago I was visiting my Aunt in New York. She said to me one evening, you know that cousin of ours that got married to the cousin of Princess Grace of Monaco... No? Apparently I am related (by marriage) to the Monaco royalty!!
Me too - she was my nan's cousin (or the cousins daughter - I forget which)! Hello family member 👋

Yes I like Sophie. And Charles and Camilla. I was reading something this morning about the Spanish Royals. Blimey that Juan Carlos being forced to abdicate because of his dodgy tax dealings. I wonder if that would happen here or whether the press would cover it up? Our Royals would probably get away with a lot more because of the amount of arse lickers we have in the press. You only have to look at their hysteria over Harry and Meghans 'crimes' compared to Andrew and his protection by the Queen. I dont know much about the European Royals but apart from the bonkers Monaco lot they seem far more streamlined and low key.

Wasnt there a sex scandal involving Chris de Burgh a while ago? A cheesy love song clearly goes a long way to disguise dodgy haircuts and weird features!
You're spot on with that.

In spite of some criticism, they are largely insanely protected. What do you think how long they sit on info? (eg Andrew's scandals)
The same is evident when looking at the Cambridges, they have never been more popular than during the first year of marriage and after Harry married. Hence the Tatler piece, the gloves are off again, though it's still very hush-hush.

For every critical piece on the Cambs, a gushing (paid for) appears very shortly in the same paper (eg the fail).

The Cambs are amongst the best protected, for obvious reasons (being direct heir).

The Spanish are a different matter. It is often said that the first monarchy to go would be the Spanish. They are on shakiest ground. They have removed their royals many times, last time they asked Juan Carlos to come back. It was very hard to rebuild a relationship between monarchy and people and apparently never fully took.

So they have to be very careful how they conduct themselves. Some think that Felipe might be (once again) the last Spanish king (until they again call the Bourbons back??!?).

That's why Juan Carlos had to go (to protect the monarchy from turning republican) and that's why Felipe stripped his sister.

I don't see Lizzie stripping Andy of anything except the bare minimun that had to be done....

Reactions: 1
I read a really interesting book where they looked back at her historical laundry and linen records and it looks like she had periods (so wasn't a man) but they were never regular. Apparently she fasted an awful lot for religous reasons and this could have affected her fertility further. Her sister Mary I also had a similar menstrual pattern of very occasioanl periods, so it could be a genetic reason they couldn't have kids.
I'm finding it hard to imagine having a job where my duties include documenting menstrual patterns of past royals, going off their laundry and linen records :eek:
However, the grim aspect of reading about bloodstained sheets and underwear aside, it is remarkably interesting.

Reactions: 6
I went to school for a while with a French girl who would have been a princess if they hadn’t booted out their royals. She looked remarkably like someone from a very old painting hanging in the Louvre. She was a member of the Orleans family.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Yes there are all sorts of stories about how ugly Anne of Cleves was but basically Henry was obese, impotent and had a wound on his leg that was infected and effectively rotting away. He blamed Anne of Cleves for being so ugly that he couldn't get it up even though they got on very well and he treated her very fondly after their divorce. He couldn't conceive with pretty 17 year old Kathryn Howard or Catherine Parr either. She went on to have a child after his death with her next husband.
Catherine Parr died soon after though. She never got much of a chance did she. Anne of Cleves attended Elizabeth I's coronation.

Reactions: 4
But she showed with her other pregnancies. It's very very unusual for women not to show with just 1 pregnancy.

@Dinnerbag Thanks. I'll go down a rabbit hole now. 😂
Less likely to show as much with a first pregnancy but but more with subsequent ones and earlier.
ones

Edinburgh I think?!
Would mean our entire royal family isn't royal wouldn't it?! I doubt it's true but I love stuff like this.
Don't think our current Royal Family is particularly descendent all the way from Mary Queen of Scots anyway?

It all goes very murky in the 1600s and 1700s with the throne passing through various cousins and grandchildren. Think it's actually only relatively recently, Queen Victoria onwards, that it's been a "clean" and straightforward inheritance from one generation to the next.

Reactions: 6
Don't think our current Royal Family is particularly descendent all the way from Mary Queen of Scots anyway?

It all goes very murky in the 1600s and 1700s with the throne passing through various cousins and grandchildren. Think it's actually only relatively recently, Queen Victoria onwards, that it's been a "clean" and straightforward inheritance from one generation to the next.
No, the Queen is theoretically directly descended from Mary Queen of Scots. The crown passed between cousins - George I was a great grandson of James I/VI. I say theoretically obviously because fathers just can’t be guaranteed! But in George’s case his line went through women so he at least was pretty certainly descended from Mary.

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.