The Royal Family #7

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I really thought that was unfair and his behaviour a bit skinflint. Surely she should have been allowed to choose a ring with him. She may not have wanted a blue stone and it's hardly Mummy's lucky ring is it?
But maybe she wanted it?

It is an iconic ring and it links her to one of the most popular persons that ever lived. And she will also get Diana's title at some stage, Princess of Wales.

Reactions: 5
I agree, especially as the style of it is rather dated (to me) and Kate has never seemed to be into "big" jewellery apart from at the gala events. I hope that it doesn't become a tradition and get passed down to one of the kids to bestow on their betrothed, but I have a feeling it will.
I think it goes well with a lot of the crown jewels (the proper ones, not William's bollox) she is sometimes required to wear for royal gigs. There are a few iconic pieces that match it beautifully, possibly were made to match, but worn toogether at evening events they look perfect.

Reactions: 6
I think it's more the case that William didn't want her going through another pregnancy when she gets so ill with hyperemesis gravidarum she has said herself she was not the happiest of pregnant people.

I agree and I never understood it as it's not like his mother died while still in a happy marriage. They had an awful marriage and to me the ring is jinxed! Plus it's not even a nice ring. I don't like Meghan but she got a much nicer ring!
BIB
Which she changed at the earliest opportunity even though her beloved had designed the original one himself!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
I agree and I never understood it as it's not like his mother died while still in a happy marriage. They had an awful marriage and to me the ring is jinxed! Plus it's not even a nice ring. I don't like Meghan but she got a much nicer ring!
I agree. I don't particularly like the ring anyway. It's very dated, but even worse, it's a symbol of one of the most toxic marriages in modern Royal history! Why would you give that to your bride to be as a symbol of your everlasting love?

Reactions: 11
I think it's more the case that William didn't want her going through another pregnancy when she gets so ill with hyperemesis gravidarum she has said herself she was not the happiest of pregnant people.

I loved Meghan’s (before she changed it). Very classic and would go with anything. Really lovely ring.

My post about Fergie's engagement ring reminded me of the worst royal engagement ring ever. Poor Princess Marie of Denmark surely had to give an Oscar-winning acting performance when she was presented with this humdinger from Prince Joachim. He actually designed it himself, and it is meant to represent the colours of the flag of France, Marie's country of birth 😬😬

View attachment 683894
That isn’t a terrible ring, it would be nice as an anniversary gift or something else. But an engagement ring? Non!

Probably controversial, but I always felt a bit sorry for Kate getting Diana’s engagement ring.
No input, nothing personal about it and you have to pretend to like it whether you do or not.
I hope it isn’t a sign that William is as romantic as Charles was to Diana. AKA not very.

Reactions: 3
I agree. I don't particularly like the ring anyway. It's very dated, but even worse, it's a symbol of one of the most toxic marriages in modern Royal history! Why would you give that to your bride to be as a symbol of your everlasting love?
Very good point, he could have offered it to her as a dress ring to wear with other royal jewellery. They should have chosen the engagement ring together.

Didn't Diana choose the engagement ring herself? Maybe it's because William knows his mother loved it. Plus didn't Harry tell him that it'd be great if that ring would end up on the throne so that was why they swapped the ring and the watch?

Unpopular opinion here I guess but I quite like the ring. It's pretty similar to my late grandmother's engagement ring. I'd say Princess Eugenie's ring is my favourite though.

Didn't Diana choose the engagement ring herself?
Well to be fair, she was a 19 year old with a head full of nonsense when she chose it. Maybe she did still love it afterwards, but Kate could hardly have said 'actually, I'd rather have my own ring' even if she didn't like it!

Well to be fair, she was a 19 year old with a head full of nonsense when she chose it. Maybe she did still love it afterwards, but Kate could hardly have said 'actually, I'd rather have my own ring' even if she didn't like it!
Thank you for saying I love you with this symbol of a love-story-that-never-was. I am touched.

But then, again, I’m too much of a control freak to not at least want some sort of say in what ring I’d be wearing from that day on. It’s like these surprise proposals (when I’m the one shouting at the tele or whatever, say no, say no) - I wonder how many of those rings get a trip back to the jeweller.

Wasn’t the Queen supposed to be grumpy that Diana picked that ring because it was ‘off the peg’ and meant that anyone (with a few grand to spare) could have one, rather than the traditional bespoke one.

BIB
Which she changed at the earliest opportunity even though her beloved had designed the original one himself!
see above:D
To be completely honest, if I’d have no say in the design or style of my ring and I ended up with something that I didn’t feel was me or I felt had areas that could be tweaked, then I’d more than likely to the same. I’m the one wearing it.

Last edited:
Thank you for saying I love you with this symbol of a love-story-that-never-was. I am ttouc

Wasn’t the Queen supposed to be grumpy that Diana picked that ring because it was ‘off the peg’ and meant that anyone (with a few grand to spare) could have one, rather than the traditional bespoke one.
I haven't heard that but the ring was nothing special just a huge rather gaudy sapphire you can see inmost jewellers.

Reactions: 1
I think quite a few people didn’t like that it was pret a porter. It was nicknamed the ‘commoner’s ring’ at the time. Now it’s worth £300,000.

Talking about ugly bridal things, I don’t think anything can top Mette-Marit, Crown Princess of Norway’s wedding bouquet. Looks like something she pulled out of the drain.
973BA515-70F1-498A-BFD0-26AEF706D2B6.jpeg
F84F6855-396A-406D-99F5-E92360B64DD0.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
I think quite a few people didn’t like that it was pret a porter. It was nicknamed the ‘commoner’s ring’ at the time. Now it’s worth £300,000.

Talking about ugly bridal things, I don’t think anything can top Mette-Marit, Crown Princess of Norway’s wedding bouquet. Looks like something she pulled out of the drain.
View attachment 684568View attachment 684569
Well, that wouldn’t win the Big Flower Fight.
Although it does look like it’s been in one.
And lost.
Several times.

• Haha
Harry chose the ring and William her Cartier watch but as he loved Kate like a sister he was happy to give the ring to William for Kate but can you imagine if he still had it and offered it to Meghan as her engagement ring?!

Reactions: 4
Harry chose the ring and William her Cartier watch but as he loved Kate like a sister he was happy to give the ring to William for Kate but can you imagine if he still had it and offered it to Meghan as her engagement ring?!
Be even more awkward as Meghan would want the band changed. I think Diana fans would have a collective heart attack!

Bet that the ring is part of the reason why she hates Kate.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Be even more awkward as Meghan would want the band changed. I think Diana fans would have a collective heart attack!
it’s interesting how royal jewellery chances and adapts over the years though. Even the Lover’s Knot tiara was made out of a recycled old tiara and has had bits lopped off since. You can see in the pictures of Queen Mary wearing it and then the Queen that it’s been depearled along the top edge.

And talking of rejigged gifts, the Lotus tiara is supposed to have been converted from a necklace given to the Queen Mum by her hubby as a wedding gift.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.