The Royal Family #6

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
BTW, I have a parenting book that actually recommends ensuring that young children have "sensual experiences" - what is meant that they experience their senses, eg the wind on their skin, rain, cold/heat, different foods, music, movements etc.
I think your parenting book perhaps meant to use 'sensory experiences', which is the correct term for it. Sack the copy editor :)

• Haha
Reactions: 33
Yes, I think there is a chance that the UK will shrink.
Some Commonwealth countries think of leaving, then there is the question around Ireland, Scotland and Wales even.
You do know Commonwealth countries aren't part of the UK right? They wouldn't be leaving anything. Just perhaps choosing to no longer have the Queen or her descendants as the Head of State.

Reactions: 2
You do know Commonwealth countries aren't part of the UK right? They wouldn't be leaving anything. Just perhaps choosing to no longer have the Queen or her descendants as the Head of State.
But wouldn’t this be leaving the Commonwealth?

I think your parenting book perhaps meant to use 'sensory experiences', which is the correct term for it. Sack the copy editor :)
I checked, but it definitely reads „sensual„, various times.

But I don’t understand how people can get so hung up on a word, I work in a predominantly English legal team and they never give me such a hard time. But this is OT

But wouldn’t this be leaving the Commonwealth?

I checked, but it definitely reads „sensual„, various times.

But I don’t understand how people can get so hung up on a word, I work in a predominantly English legal team and they never give me such a hard time. But this is OT
most definitely not. There is a difference between the Commonwealth Realms and the Commonwealth Nations. When people talk about the “Commonwealth” they normally mean the latter though. A Commonwealth realm is a a member of the Commonwealth nations as sovereign state that recognises the Queen as Head of State.
There are 54 members of the Commonwealth but only 16 are Commonwealth realms. The others are 31 republics and 5 constitutional monarchies of other dynasties. (I am aware the numbers don’t add up completely but I was to lazy to check which is the newer one).
The most “prominent” Commonwealth realms are Australia, Kanada, New Zealand, Jamaica and Barbados. They might very well leave the the realm.

I don’t think it is OT to discuss language. Words have a definition for a reason and using them interchangeable can lead to krass misunderstandings (I mean people thinking you are describing Charlotte’s picture with sexual terms is not what you wanted is it?). That’s like saying you were married three days before the ceremony when you were not. Languages and law define the act of marriage differently then having a sweet vow exchange (otherwise I was married multiple times in kindergarten already). Words have meaning and words have power. That a legal environment doesn’t care is extremely surprising to me. Especially as the forms, briefs and pleads are correct to the dot if the i so it cannot be dismissed or else. In a casual verbal conversation it’s obviously different but in plain writing the words you use will be judged by their definition. No one knows you personally, knows you mimic or intonation. There a reason why many write out sarcasm in posts to make their intentions clear.

Reactions: 11
Have the same problem. I’m a natural mimic and unless I make a conscious effort not to, almost immediately start speaking with the accent of those around me. It’s a big help in my profession as an opera singer however it can really upset people if they think you are mocking them. I’ve had to pull out my passport many times to prove where I am actually from. One whole side of my family has the same gift/curse it really just depends on how good of an ear you have for sounds and copying them.
I do the same and had the same concerns, but was told by my sister (linguistics degree) that it is a common occurrence. Apparently it's a psychological 'trick' to make your interlocuteur feel more at ease - assuming you don't overdo it and go say, full "Strewth mate, fair dinkum, I'll get the ute and bring round a few tinnies for the barbie" when meeting an Aussie - byt sounding more like people they are used to.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
most definitely not. There is a difference between the Commonwealth Realms and the Commonwealth Nations. When people talk about the “Commonwealth” they normally mean the latter though. A Commonwealth realm is a a member of the Commonwealth nations as sovereign state that recognises the Queen as Head of State.
There are 54 members of the Commonwealth but only 16 are Commonwealth realms. The others are 31 republics and 5 constitutional monarchies of other dynasties. (I am aware the numbers don’t add up completely but I was to lazy to check which is the newer one).
The most “prominent” Commonwealth realms are Australia, Kanada, New Zealand, Jamaica and Barbados. They might very well leave the the realm.

I don’t think it is OT to discuss language. Words have a definition for a reason and using them interchangeable can lead to krass misunderstandings (I mean people thinking you are describing Charlotte’s picture with sexual terms is not what you wanted is it?). That’s like saying you were married three days before the ceremony when you were not. Languages and law define the act of marriage differently then having a sweet vow exchange (otherwise I was married multiple times in kindergarten already). Words have meaning and words have power. That a legal environment doesn’t care is extremely surprising to me. Especially as the forms, briefs and pleads are correct to the dot if the i so it cannot be dismissed or else. In a casual verbal conversation it’s obviously different but in plain writing the words you use will be judged by their definition. No one knows you personally, knows you mimic or intonation. There a reason why many write out sarcasm in posts to make their intentions clear.
Hm, the FT (who I hope uses terms correctly), described that Zimbabwe had "left" the Commonwealth.

Same as South Africa, Gambia, Pakistan and the Maldives, who don't want to rejoin.

Regarding the use of "sensual": I still don't think it can be interchanged with "sexual" - here a quote:

"First, let me start by saying that sensuality has kind of a bad rap in our culture. The Oxford English Dictionary defines “sensual” much in the way that you’d guess: pertaining to the senses. But, as the OED tends to do, there is a fuller definition that I don’t think we always consider when using this word:

Involving gratification of the senses; of, relating to, or arising from physical (esp. sexual) urges or desires and not the intellect or spirit; carnal, fleshly, base. In more neutral sense: relating to, characterized by, or involving enjoyment derived from the senses; physically enjoyable or pleasurable. "

So it seems that according the Oxford dictionary I used the word correctly. And whilst a more colloquial definition sees it as "esp sexual" it is not "purely/only/solely sexual".

And yes, the legal contracts are properly checked regarding the use of terminology. But if this forum applies a higher threshold for the use of terminology than my (somewhat stiff) colleagues then I might not be qualified to write here.

Reactions: 1
wouldn’t this be leaving the Commonwealth?
No. Most countries in the Commonwealth are Republics (India for example) Some also have The Queen as Head of State- Australia, Canada and most Caribbean countries I think, although one is going to be a Republic soon, I think. They can still be in the Commonwealth and a republic.
Edit: sorry realised GreatKate did a much more thorough job of explaining it. Pakistan never had The Queen as Head of State so it must mean 'left' left Not sure what any of them got out of it anyway. Seems like a vanity project for the Royals to me.

Last edited:
I see they are selling beer made from crops grown on the Sandringham estate. May have to give it a try at some point.

Reactions: 3
I see they are selling beer made from crops grown on the Sandringham estate. May have to give it a try at some point.
While you at it- you could also rate their gin and report back. I mean Gin brought Queen Mum to a pretty good 101. Maybe that’s the real secret?

• Haha
Reactions: 8
If it’s gin I might make a decent age too 😂😂😂
I'm taking the kiddos to London in the summer. I quite fancy seeing old buck House gardens while we're there. Son 2 is terrified of the Princes in the Tower story so is refusing to go to the Tower of London 😄

Reactions: 5
I'm taking the kiddos to London in the summer. I quite fancy seeing old buck House gardens while we're there. Son 2 is terrified of the Princes in the Tower story so is refusing to go to the Tower of London 😄
The beefeaters at the tower give excellent tours, if he ends up feeling brave enough! It’s one of my favourite places to visit. Hampton court is also excellent. Great gardens and they run fun tours with reenactors in costume. Sounds a bit lame but is actually great fun for all ages.

Reactions: 10
The beefeaters at the tower give excellent tours, if he ends up feeling brave enough! It’s one of my favourite places to visit. Hampton court is also excellent. Great gardens and they run fun tours with reenactors in costume. Sounds a bit lame but is actually great fun for all ages.
Following on from this...and kind of related...has anyone done any of the tours of the palaces? I've attended private tours of Buckingham Palace and two at Windsor Castle, one normal private tour and a Christmas private tour. I've also been to Balmoral but felt slightly let down as I didn't feel like you got to see much.

Following on from this...and kind of related...has anyone done any of the tours of the palaces? I've attended private tours of Buckingham Palace and two at Windsor Castle, one normal private tour and a Christmas private tour. I've also been to Balmoral but felt slightly let down as I didn't feel like you got to see much.
Went to Buckingham Palace, some of the curtains and carpets were quite faded. The gardens were nice.

Enjoyed the Sandringham one. You see the room where they lay our Christmas presents and watch the Queen's speech. And where they lunch. Also visited the local Church that they go to at Christmas.

I did the Palace of Holyroodhouse years ago. One of the best guided visits I've been on. Lots of interesting and gruesome history. Highly recommended, as is the city of Edinburgh itself (though I am biased as all my family is from there and have many happy memories of my visits 😊).

Reactions: 5
Went to Buckingham Palace, some of the curtains and carpets were quite faded. The gardens were nice.
Agree. I went about 5 years ago with some friends. The gardens were the highlight really.

While you at it- you could also rate their gin and report back. I mean Gin brought Queen Mum to a pretty good 101. Maybe that’s the real secret?
I've already got a bottle of gin I've barely used. It's Cotswold gin. I thought I'd buy it as never tried gin before and wanted a decent bottle to try, but I'm a guy so I'm more of a whisky and beer drinker, but even my alcohol consumption is very, very low haha.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.