The Royal Family #46

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Who helped change the way patients with HIV and AIDS were treated, openly holding their hands when they were treated like lepers. She also brought land mines and homelessness into the public forefront when it wasn’t a fashionable political view. Like her or not, she wasn’t afraid to stick her head above the parapet and bring about a positive sea change

I wish more of us could say we made a long lasting change in society for the better
👏 👏 Brilliant comment. There are some on here seem to have a VERY selective memory.

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 48
I do. The public were rabid and the press picked up on the public mood
Yes, there was a small (but frighteningly vocal) part of the public that were pushing for it and the press then ramped this up. It was ridiculous and made a lot of us very uncomfortable at the time. To bring this to recent events, I'm not comfortable with people demanding to see proof that Kate is still alive etc. If what we've been told is basically correct then it's totally insensitive and if it is a weird cover for her and William splitting up then it doesn't really make any difference to my life so happy to wait for it to all come out. I don't give the stories about murder or domestic violence any time at all as I don't believe them.

Reactions: 19
I do. The public were rabid and the press picked up on the public mood
Exactly..the press picked up on it and it snowballed because those saddos crying at the gates demanded it but I didn’t agree with it and could see why they stayed in Balmoral.

I also found it really strange that they were divorced but the public expected the royals to act like she was still a member of their family and I also didn’t understand why Charles went to Paris to bring her body back or was he supposed to be acting on behalf of William and Harry?

Reactions: 9
I lifted this from the last thread because I thought @Great_Kate made a good point.

"HMTQ had her fair share of criticism, calls for abolishing the monarchy, speculation about her own marriage and the fall out from C&D drama. Her "service“ was not so much in what she did but rather that she endured for so many decades."

People just think of the late Queen as a genteel grandmother figure now. That is how she is remembered in this age of social media and 24/7 news. However people forget that her and Philip had their fair share of rumours and issues. He was unfaithful and partying. Their marriage went through some rocky moments and long periods apart.. She has been rumoured to have had an affair with Lord Porchester. Various scandals with Margaret. Her refusal to go to Aberfan etc etc

TRF have always been a source of gossip and speculation. Even one of Queen Victoria's grandsons was suspected of being Jack The Ripper.
I really don’t think it can be under estimated just how much society changed during the Queen’s reign. When she came to the throne in the 1950’s it was still Pathe news at the pictures and she was shown as a young, shy woman with a handsome sailor husband surrounded by elder statesmen. The Royal Family didn’t have to actually do anything, they just had to be. Even in the 1960’s people were standing up in their own homes for the National anthem when BBC went off for the night. I would say the Silver Jubilee of 1977 was the point when ‘old’ came crashing up against ‘new’ … and then the next 20 years was a fast track free for all. There’s no wonder they were a bit discombobulated. For an institution that had trucked along pretty much the same for centuries and where changes were carried out at glacial speed it must have been a head spin.

(People’s Princess was just Tony Blair wanting his soundbite moment).

Reactions: 32
Exactly..the press picked up on it and it snowballed because those saddos crying at the gates demanded it but I didn’t agree with it and could see why they stayed in Balmoral.

I also found it really strange that they were divorced but the public expected the royals to act like she was still a member of their family and I also didn’t understand why Charles went to Paris to bring her body back or was he supposed to be acting on behalf of William and Harry?
That was a bit odd. He maybe was representing his sons and I remember at least one of Diana's sisters went with him.

Reactions: 2
I cringed watching the saddos sobbing at the gates of Kensington Palace.

I never liked her. Also who would go after their sister’s ex boyfriend? The same woman that then went after other people’s husbands.

She got put on a pedestal when she died and because of The Crown too many people believe the poor Diana narrative.

As for the public demanding the Queen return to London with William and Harry..I don’t recall that at all. It was the media as usual with their stupid headlines demanding it.
The PM at the time, Tony Blair had to get involved as public feeling at the time was very raw. it was the PM who told her Maj it would be better to get back to London. It’s well documented.

Reactions: 10
That was a bit odd. He maybe was representing his sons and I remember at least one of Diana's sisters went with him.
Two of her sisters went with him plus Paul Burrell (🤮).

I can see why her family might have thought she was befitting of a royal ceremonial funeral but I’m surprised they agreed to it and were happy that the family who supposedly destroyed her and made her life a misery got to play such a big part in her funeral.

Diana was given a terrible life because of Fred and Gladys and I’m only of late beginning to accept what they did to a girl who was little more than a teenager. How could anyone of her age expect to deal with it.

I remember it all so well and was a Diana fan but if they try these games with Kate then they will be making a grave error.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Diana was given a terrible life because of Fred and Gladys and I’m only of late beginning to accept what they did to a girl who was little more than a teenager. How could anyone of her age expect to deal with it.

I remember it all so well and was a Diana fan but if they try these games with Kate then they will be making a grave error.
She was an adult.
---
Come on, can you imagine the headlines if he hadn’t gone? He’d have been absolutely crucified.
Why though when he was her ex husband? Why wasn’t it just her own family that went?

I remember it and remember a lot of people thinking it odd he was so involved when they had divorced.

Reactions: 7
I think maybe it was because despite what happened she was still the mother of the two next in line after Charles.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I think maybe it was because despite what happened she was still the mother of the two next in line after Charles.
Didn’t mean the whole of the royal family had to be involved? They definitely bowed to ‘public’ pressure and the media encouraged it.

Reactions: 2
I’ve only skimmed read, but has there been any sightings of the kids been taken to school?
I think the whole thing is really off, and there is something brewing!

Reactions: 7
Yes, I agree it was a respectful gesture. I think people forget that before Diana, royals wore white gloves to shake members of the public’s hands. As if they were of a contagious nature and somehow beneath them

She shook them up by bringing some normality and informality to proceedings. Hence why William on many of his walkabouts is outwardly more relaxed with physical contact and selfies with the public
---
There was nothing unusual about her age at the time and most people married at that age back then. Of course there was an age gap but that wasn’t too unusual at the time either.
Hard disagree

• Heart
Reactions: 25
I wish more of us could say we made a long lasting change in society for the better
Most people don’t get the privilege of the having crown funded philanthropy as their career simply by birth or who they marry. They also don’t get the huge resources (staff, money, access to the right people, press coverage etc) made readily available to them that members of the royal family do.

Reactions: 14
She was an adult.
---

Why though when he was her ex husband? Why wasn’t it just her own family that went?

I remember it and remember a lot of people thinking it odd he was so involved when they had divorced.
Err, because she was the mother of his children? Perhaps her family wanted him to go. Perhaps their children wanted him to go. This is the royal family. Whatever they claim they’re not normal and they’re not just like the rest of us. I’m not a fan of his but I think he couldn’t win - he went, so it’s odd because they were divorced, if he hadn’t have gone he would’ve been accused of being heartless and abandoning her.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
She was an adult.
---

Charles was there on behalf of his sons, primarily. If they’d been adults when Diana died, I doubt he’d have gone over, but William and Harry would have.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.