The Royal Family #46

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My wholly reliable source, who is definitely not Twitter, assures me that Kate has been replaced by a body double and is divorcing William to pursue her long-held dream. She will be reigniting the Emu Wars, and sources say that thanks to the royal military expertise she's picked up the humans will probably actually lose again, sorry.

• Haha
Reactions: 30
Couldn’t quote on a post from last thread so I’m putting it here! I’m old enough to have lived through the Diana years and a lot of us felt heart sorry for her. She was obviously picked as a brood mare for Charles to produce an heir, her problem was she thought they were marrying for love, not realising Camilla was still involved. Once the two boys were born, I think Charles more or less closed the door and went back to Camilla leaving Di broken hearted. Diana was a lot younger than Charles and I think properly went off the rails at that point, I’m sure there were reports of self harming and throwing herself downstairs etc. When she died there really was an outpouring of grief not only in the U.K. but around the world. Diana was the same age as me so it was shocking to think of someone so young dying the way she did. Diana was hugely more popular than any of the rest of the royals and after her death the Queen was criticised for staying away from London, later saying she was ‘protecting the boys’. Days later these two young lads had to walk behind their mum’s coffin, it was awful to watch. I’ve personally no time for Camilla and not much time for Charles either. Both Harry and William must carry the scars of losing their mother and knowing their father was involved with another woman. Going through everything they did growing up, I don’t think being married to either William or Harry can be very easy.

• Heart
Reactions: 44
Couldn’t quote on a post from last thread so I’m putting it here! I’m old enough to have lived through the Diana years and a lot of us felt heart sorry for her. She was obviously picked as a brood mare for Charles to produce an heir, her problem was she thought they were marrying for love, not realising Camilla was still involved. Once the two boys were born, I think Charles more or less closed the door and went back to Camilla leaving Di broken hearted. Diana was a lot younger than Charles and I think properly went off the rails at that point, I’m sure there were reports of self harming and throwing herself downstairs etc. When she died there really was an outpouring of grief not only in the U.K. but around the world. Diana was the same age as me so it was shocking to think of someone so young dying the way she did. Diana was hugely more popular than any of the rest of the royals and after her death the Queen was criticised for staying away from London, later saying she was ‘protecting the boys’. Days later these two young lads had to walk behind their mum’s coffin, it was awful to watch. I’ve personally no time for Camilla and not much time for Charles either. Both Harry and William must carry the scars of losing their mother and knowing their father was involved with another woman. Going through everything they did growing up, I don’t think being married to either William or Harry can be very easy.
And some of us didn't feel 'heart sorry' for her, in my case because I had an excellent source of information from within the Spencer family through my mother who was good friends with a close Spencer relative. There's no point me going into huge detail because I can't prove it, the source is dead, as is my mother. Suffice to say that Diana went into it with both eyes wide open, she knew what she wanted and she got it. There was huge unease in parts of the greater Spencer family as they did not feel she was stable enough for the 'job'.

Reactions: 53
I am only a couple of years younger than you and remember it well too. Nobody I knew cared in the slightest and felt that the national outpouring of grief was ridiculous. Obviously nobody wanted anybody to die in any way and for young children to be left without one of their parents but the whole shitstorm that was their marriage was ridiculous and should never have happened. To say that Diana had no idea and was a totally innocent party is simply untrue, she might have been blind to some of it when she first entered the marriage but she'd been around those circles to make me doubt this and, towards the end, she 100% knew how to milk the public for sympathy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 37
I lifted this from the last thread because I thought @Great_Kate made a good point.

"HMTQ had her fair share of criticism, calls for abolishing the monarchy, speculation about her own marriage and the fall out from C&D drama. Her "service“ was not so much in what she did but rather that she endured for so many decades."

People just think of the late Queen as a genteel grandmother figure now. That is how she is remembered in this age of social media and 24/7 news. However people forget that her and Philip had their fair share of rumours and issues. He was unfaithful and partying. Their marriage went through some rocky moments and long periods apart.. She has been rumoured to have had an affair with Lord Porchester. Various scandals with Margaret. Her refusal to go to Aberfan etc etc

TRF have always been a source of gossip and speculation. Even one of Queen Victoria's grandsons was suspected of being Jack The Ripper.

• Heart
Reactions: 48
I lifted this from the last thread because I thought @Great_Kate made a good point.

"HMTQ had her fair share of criticism, calls for abolishing the monarchy, speculation about her own marriage and the fall out from C&D drama. Her "service“ was not so much in what she did but rather that she endured for so many decades."

People just think of the late Queen as a genteel grandmother figure now. That is how she is remembered in this age of social media and 24/7 news. However people forget that her and Philip had their fair share of rumours and issues. He was unfaithful and partying. Their marriage went through some rocky moments and long periods apart.. She has been rumoured to have had an affair with Lord Porchester. Various scandals with Margaret. Her refusal to go to Aberfan etc etc

TRF have always been a source of gossip and speculation. Even one of Queen Victoria's grandsons was suspected of being Jack The Ripper.
Yeah Porchie was a well known figure in their close circle and then you had the lady who Phillip did the carriage riding with, Penny, i think her name was! They just endured it didn’t they, a lot of the older generations did because divorce was scandalous or something you tried hard not to do. Many of our grandparents remained married right up until the end. They would have had rocky patches it’s just we weren’t around to see them and they were a lot more discreet about things too, back then!

Reactions: 23
I am only a couple of years younger than you and remember it well too. Nobody I knew cared in the slightest and felt that the national outpouring of grief was ridiculous. Obviously nobody wanted anybody to die in any way and for young children to be left without one of their parents but the whole shitstorm that was their marriage was ridiculous and should never have happened. To say that Diana had no idea and was a totally innocent party is simply untrue, she might have been blind to some of it when she first entered the marriage but she'd been around those circles to make me doubt this and, towards the end, she 100% knew how to milk the public for sympathy.
Well if you look back at the footage from the time, millions thought very differently. To say she milked the public for sympathy is something I never saw. She was hugely more popular than any of the rest of them who were seen as a stuffy institution and not in touch with the public and Di wasn’t called the People’s Princess for no reason. She made bad choices as we all do in life, but I wonder how things would have been if Charles hadn’t been chasing his bit on the side instead of concentrating on his marriage. It may even have given the boys a stable upbringing if he had. He was too busy telling Camilla he wished he was a tampon to be with her! We all have long memories of the time. Tampongate was enough to put me off Charles for life. No wonder royalty is becoming less relevant to the under 30s

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Yeah Porchie was a well known figure in their close circle and then you had the lady who Phillip did the carriage riding with, Penny, i think her name was! They just endured it didn’t they, a lot of the older generations did because divorce was scandalous or something you tried hard not to do. Many of our grandparents remained married right up until the end. They would have had rocky patches it’s just we weren’t around to see them and they were a lot more discreet about things too, back then!
They both knew the deal though. Divorce wasn’t an option so they both had “outside interests.” Surely K-mid knew the deal before she married in as well.

Reactions: 10
Diana had just turned 20 when she married Charles I’m not sure any of us would be ready or mature enough for marriage at that age, let alone into that family.

Despite her being around those circles, she was damaged and endured her parents’ nasty separation and father’s remarriage as well as parental alienation.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
Well if you look back at the footage from the time, millions thought very differently. To say she milked the public for sympathy is something I never saw. She was hugely more popular than any of the rest of them who were seen as a stuffy institution and not in touch with the public and Di wasn’t called the People’s Princess for no reason. She made bad choices as we all do in life, but I wonder how things would have been if Charles hadn’t been chasing his bit on the side instead of concentrating on his marriage. It may even have given the boys a stable upbringing if he had. He was too busy telling Camilla he wished he was a tampon to be with her! We all have long memories of the time. Tampongate was enough to put me off Charles for life. No wonder royalty is becoming less relevant to the under 30s
You may never have seen it but it was there to see, especially in the latter years of her life, she (or those around her) definitely knew how to manipulate things in her favour. Can't say I blame them but that's as it was. The whole People's Princess thing was a load of rubbish that the tabloids spouted that wasn't felt by majority of the public. Yes there were some weirdos who lined the streets of the funeral of a woman that they had never met and demanded to see things done a certain way but most people didn't really care. Maybe you mix in different circles to me but just because you think she was universally revered, it doesn't mean she was, lots of us thought she was a bit of a daft bint.

Reactions: 26
a bit of a daft bint.
Who helped change the way patients with HIV and AIDS were treated, openly holding their hands when they were treated like lepers. She also brought land mines and homelessness into the public forefront when it wasn’t a fashionable political view. Like her or not, she wasn’t afraid to stick her head above the parapet and bring about a positive sea change

I wish more of us could say we made a long lasting change in society for the better

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 72
I cringed watching the saddos sobbing at the gates of Kensington Palace.

I never liked her. Also who would go after their sister’s ex boyfriend? The same woman that then went after other people’s husbands.

She got put on a pedestal when she died and because of The Crown too many people believe the poor Diana narrative.

As for the public demanding the Queen return to London with William and Harry..I don’t recall that at all. It was the media as usual with their stupid headlines demanding it.

• Angry
Reactions: 25
Who helped change the way HIV patients were treated, openly holding their hands when they were treated like lepers. She also brought land mines and homelessness into the public forefront when it wasn’t a fashionable political view. Like her or not, she wasn’t afraid to stick her head above the parapet and bring about a positive sea change

I wish more of us could say we made a long lasting change in society for the better
Fair point, nobody is 100% anything but you can do good things and still be a daft bint in general

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Diana had just turned 20 when she married Charles I’m not sure any of us would be ready or mature enough for marriage at that age, let alone into that family.

Despite her being around those circles, she was damaged and endured her parents’ nasty separation and father’s remarriage as well as parental alienation.
There was nothing unusual about her age at the time and most people married at that age back then. Of course there was an age gap but that wasn’t too unusual at the time either. She loved reading romance novels and the heroine was always very young with at least a 10 years plus hero!

Reactions: 7

Surely her parent's nasty separation should help with understanding that marriage isn't the fairy tale that some people seem to think that she was anticipating. Charles even admitted when they got engaged that he didn't know what love was (or whatever the wording was), they never should have been together and, in the normal world (rather than in royal circles) wouldn't have been.

Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.