The Royal Family #42

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If it is a hysterectomy (or whatever it is) the whole statement is so unnecessarily dramatic, plus I'm wondering why a hysterectomy would be so sudden, despite planned. Surely they'd have been better off saying 'The POW has had a routine procedure and all has gone well. She will need some time to recover and appointments have been rescheduled. Thanks for all well wishes...' type thing 🤷‍♀️ Are they unnecessarily hamming it up or what?
I just can't understand the serious/dramatic nature of the announcement while not actually giving information.

Reactions: 18
If it is a hysterectomy (or whatever it is) the whole statement is so unnecessarily dramatic, plus I'm wondering why a hysterectomy would be so sudden, despite planned. Surely they'd have been better off saying 'The POW has had a routine procedure and all has gone well. She will need some time to recover and appointments have been rescheduled. Thanks for all well wishes...' type thing 🤷‍♀️ Are they unnecessarily hamming it up or what?
I just can't understand the serious/dramatic nature of the announcement while not actually giving information.
I think it’s fairly obvious that in this case planned = get your coat and don’t eat anything, you’re coming in … so whatever it is, it is something that couldn't wait any longer and so while the procedure may be routine, the timing of it wasn’t. I think the fact her staff were scheduling visits and overseas tours suggests it was something that cropped up suddenly, and the fact it took William out as well when Charles was also out of commission seems to confirm that. I really don’t think they would want 3 of the most senior Royals out of action at the time same, highlighting just what a knife edge the actual working royal numbers are on. The fact the press release sounds slightly panicked suggests that things had moved very quickly and to some extent they were working in the dark as well.

Reactions: 28
I think KP would have been better off being honest with the public about what the surgery was for - the secrecy has made things worse, creating whirl-wind speculation and conspiracy theories that are probably far worse than reality.

Reactions: 17
I think it’s fairly obvious that in this case planned = get your coat and don’t eat anything, you’re coming in … so whatever it is, it is something that couldn't wait any longer and so while the procedure may be routine, the timing of it wasn’t. I think the fact her staff were scheduling visits and overseas tours suggests it was something that cropped up suddenly, and the fact it took William out as well when Charles was also out of commission seems to confirm that. I really don’t think they would want 3 of the most senior Royals out of action at the time same, highlighting just what a knife edge the actual working royal numbers are on. The fact the press release sounds slightly panicked suggests that things had moved very quickly and to some extent they were working in the dark as well.
Yes I'm sure you're right, but this just doesn't marry well with making out it's all OK and don't speculate. I just think the statement has fallen between two stools, saying it's serious but still saying all will be back to normal at Easter. It certainly has only encouraged speculation rather than minimising it. If rushed as it seems to have been, they could still have said routine and been more blasé if they wanted to downplay it, that's all.
---
I think KP would have been better off being honest with the public about what the surgery was for - the secrecy has made things worse, creating whirl-wind speculation and conspiracy theories that are probably far worse than reality.
Exactly

Reactions: 4
With that said, no one actually has a right to her medical information.

The wild speculation is absurd, but it is the choice and speculation of people who are choosing to gossip over the health of a complete stranger, and no one is beholden to provide their medical history because people are gossiping. They may have wealth and privilege unearned due to their rank in society, but at the end of the day the royals are humans. As a general rule, if I hear someone I have no right to the private medical information of had surgery, my reaction is not to immediately try to guess the procedure.

Reactions: 27
I am really loath to defend KP or Kate, but blimey, she’s absolutely entitled to some privacy. Whatever her medical issues are, it’s none of our business. I don’t blame her at all for not wanting her reasons for being in hospital all over the tabloids.

The number of posters on here confidently declaring that they know why she’s in hospital, though. Have a word with yourselves.

Reactions: 34
I don't think Kate is under any obligation to share her medical problems. The statement wasn't great though - it's given the impression of a really serious problem and invited loads of speculation. They're paid not to panic when issuing statements surely no matter what's going on.

Reactions: 14
Oh absolutely. I think I said at the time that the wording was odd and that saying basically nothing and asking for no speculation just opened the door to lots and lots of speculation.

For people who’s whole life is PR, who stand and fall by it and who employ supposed experts in the field, they really are spectacularly bad at it.

Reactions: 11
She's not 'a complete stranger', she's the Princess of Wales. The King has declared to the public that he has an enlarged prostate, so clearly some level of sharing medical information is normal with the Royals. Yes of course she is entitled to medical privacy, by default we all are. But KP knew this would generate interest, especially as the procedure was clearly serious and resulted in an extended stay in hospital which is rare, especially for a 42 year-old generally healthy person. It's not totally mad to think that maybe telling people prevents the wild speculation which might make things worse for the Royals, for example, DV being thrown around.

Reactions: 7
With that said, no one actually has a right to her medical information.

The wild speculation is absurd, but it is the choice and speculation of people who are choosing to gossip over the health of a complete stranger, and no one is beholden to provide their medical history because people are gossiping. They may have wealth and privilege unearned due to their rank in society, but at the end of the day the royals are humans. As a general rule, if I hear someone I have no right to the private medical information of had surgery, my reaction is not to immediately try to guess the procedure.
you don’t know my elderly relatives do you? we had a whole week of guessing the procedure of her down the street. A flashing blue light is catnip to them. You’d be surprised at the turn of speed of a 90 year old with gossip.

• Haha
Reactions: 20
I don't think Kate is under any obligation to share her medical problems. The statement wasn't great though - it's given the impression of a really serious problem and invited loads of speculation. They're paid not to panic when issuing statements surely no matter what's going on.
On the other hand if they would have made it as something very minor no one would have understood why she would take so long before being again on duty or why William would clear his agenda. It's clearly something serious as no one would need to stay 10 to 14 days at the hospital for something minor or a routine surgery. But it doesn't mean that she is on her deathbed.

Plus, I think they might have had to give more info than what they would have wanted because of a possible leak. Any journalist having an article on Kate's health would have contacted their PR to ask them for comment. They might have had to act swiftly to not have press reports about Kate's health before their own statement.

I think people feeling the need to know what exactly she has is more a symptom of the habit of press intrusion in famous people's privacy than anything else.

Reactions: 11
She's not 'a complete stranger', she's the Princess of Wales. The King has declared to the public that he has an enlarged prostate, so clearly some level of sharing medical information is normal with the Royals. Yes of course she is entitled to medical privacy, by default we all are. But KP knew this would generate interest, especially as the procedure was clearly serious and resulted in an extended stay in hospital which is rare, especially for a 42 year-old generally healthy person. It's not totally mad to think that maybe telling people prevents the wild speculation which might make things worse for the Royals, for example, DV being thrown around.
Nobody is taking the DV accusation seriously. That's just some fringe nutters online. Even if they told us exactly what was wrong with her those people would just say it's to cover up DV. Abdominal surgery covers it fine imo but they could have calmed things a bit more with their statement.

Reactions: 7
Maybe it's something embarrassing. Maybe it's something she's just getting her head around herself. Maybe she doesn't want to scare the children who would find out one way or another from school etc etc .... Maybe it's non of our business what the actual medical problem is.

It's like if you tell someone you're going to see a Dr the number of people who ask why? Non of your business, If I want to disclose why, I'll tell you.

Reactions: 24
I don’t believe ED I’m not sure after Diana and with three children her family and William would let it go on long enough to cause this much damage.
Whilst I would hope William would be more mindful if Kate has eating disorder her recovery wouldn’t be in his hands. The person who is ill needs to be the one to want to get better.
---
In some lighter news, Sophie has turned 59 today and the DM have done a round up of her fashion choices. I really like her newer looks. I wonder if she hired a new stylist?

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
I think it is fairly obvious that it has not been minor surgery so not sure what else they could say really. They can't avoid the fact that she will be in hospital for up to two weeks and that she is going to be out of action until Easter.

Reactions: 5
Hi all, first time posting on this thread.

It’s seems obvious to me it’s a major face lift. I think the way this was planned and the way the communication went out was deliberate, to steer people away from that.

Face lifts can be awful to recover from. I saw my mother have one. Honestly it was gross especially in the beginning.

I’m thinking this two-week stay might be for the kids even more than the public. She might need two weeks before she is in any shape ready to even see them again.

• Haha
Reactions: 20
Why does Kate need a facelift? Not really sure what they’d be lifting
She's obviously not having a damn facelift lol. People come out with some ridiculous things. I think people would notice if she went in for abdominal surgery and came out with a fresh face 😆

• Haha
Reactions: 26
I’m not saying she needs a facelift. But yes women in the public eye do get them, and usually around age 40. I wouldn’t blame her at all for wanting one, with the microscope she is always under.

If they had only said surgery, people would have jumped right to plastic surgery. So they added abdominal.

The two-week stay is the tell for me. There is hardly any surgery that requires such a long stay now. And again, I believe that was added for the children’s sake (which I support)

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I highly doubt she’s having a facelift 🙄…no one would notice if she snuck off for a couple of weeks during the summer or whenever, why would she plan it when she and her husband would have to cancel planned commitments and then also announce to the world she’s in hospital
Hi all, first time posting on this thread.

It’s seems obvious to me it’s a major face lift. I think the way this was planned and the way the communication went out was deliberate, to steer people away from that.

Face lifts can be awful to recover from. I saw my mother have one. Honestly it was gross especially in the beginning.

I’m thinking this two-week stay might be for the kids even more than the public. She might need two weeks before she is in any shape ready to even see them again.

Reactions: 21
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.