The Royal Family #41

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Uh, you’ve linked a poll that says only 44% want to keep the monarchy, and it also says the majority of NZers think we will vote to be a republic within ten years. 😂 So yes, I think it’s accurate.

I’m not saying our current government would split from the monarchy yet, none of the coalition parties have that policy and I don’t think it’ll happen in their term (so the next three years). I’m saying that the referendum, if they’re stupid enough to have it, could be the catalyst that collapses the whole house of cards. And if they’re a one term government, which they could be, then who knows?

You can Google our coalition partners and polls all you like, but that’s not a substitute for being here and knowing the country.

Interestingly, that same poll showed majority votes in favour of a republic in Aussie and Canada! Interesting. I wouldn’t be surprised if it happened in Aussie first, personally.
---

I agree on the men. They seem to be easily led in many cases. It’s an odd thing to see in a family that until very recently, prioritised men as better leaders and more suited to being in charge!
I linked to a poll with only 34% of New Zealanders wanting a republic. So no, it was not accurate.

Given the Australian government can't even get a referendum through for a voice for Aborigines in its Parliament, the idea it would get another republic referendum anytime soon through is absurd. In Canada as mentioned both the PM and Leader of the Opposition back retaining the monarchy

All this chat about Sophie, calling her mother in law an 'old dear', how she got away with it is beyond me!

• Haha
Reactions: 2
I linked to a poll with only 34% of New Zealanders wanting a republic. So no, it was not accurate.

Given the Australian government can't even get a referendum through for a voice for Aborigines in its Parliament, the idea it would get another republic referendum anytime soon through is absurd. In Canada as mentioned both the PM and Leader of the Opposition back retaining the monarchy
Oh god, you’re still saying “aborigines”. What a hill to die on 🤦‍♀️
Here’s the deal: if you don’t want people pointing out that you’ve linked to a poll that says most Kiwis think they’ll be a republic in the next ten years, and that a majority of Aussies and Canadians want to be a republic, then maybe don’t link to one? 😂

I’ll leave this topic with this point: if the coalition here succeed in devaluing the Treaty, a lot of reason and support for the existence of the Crown in NZ will be gone.
It would be interesting to see how the royal family deal with a Western country leaving the monarchy when it does happen, whether it’s us or another. I reckon they’d be fine with it, but who knows?
---
I'm not a fan of Harry but I think this is the right result..
I think that’s really great. It’s disgusting how these newspapers think it’s okay to hack people’s phones. The more cases like this that succeed, whoever the charges come from, the better.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
I think Mike Tindall needs to tell James Haskell to wind his neck in with all the slating the royals he is doing on this tour. Tabloids getting lots of inches from it and it makes Mike look complicit

The casting of Harry and William in the latest episodes is horrendous, those boys were so handsome and it’s like watching the Aliexpress versions with extra dodgy haircuts and hair dye jobs

• Haha
Reactions: 11
The casting of Harry and William in the latest episodes is horrendous, those boys were so handsome and it’s like watching the Aliexpress versions with extra dodgy haircuts and hair dye jobs
More often than not the Crown actors don’t look like the real person. While William was good looking for a very brief time, Harry has always been unfortunate looking. It’s lucky for them both that they have the titles, connections and money

• Haha
Reactions: 9
don’t forget the constant, insipid, self pitying stares that poor old tortured wills has.

it’s like they told him “right, you’re the first fella to ever lose a parent and you’ve only got a choice of 4 or 5 palaces to call home, so life really is tough for you”

I kinda wish they were doing a S7, because I’d be intrigued as to the research into the pegging rumours, the rose Hanbury rumours and photos of wills partying without Kate - how they’d handle that. How would they be able to depict Kate when she leaves Uni and basically just follows William around? They’d have to show a Middleton family get together where Carole basically tells Kate “it’s ok sweetie, you’re doing the lords work here. The highest achievement any Middleton woman can have is marrying royalty. We’ll set it all up for you. Here’s the bin for your uni degree to go into, we won’t be needing that”.

I couldn’t have disliked the middletons more but when they were sat talking about how much they liked Maggie thatcher… ugh. It set my teeth on edge. Because of course those pack of jackels snobs loved Maggie.

• Haha
  • Heart
I don’t watch the Crown but keep seeing clips of it. Why have they got Kate & Carol meeting Diana and William as that never happened as Kate has said she never met her?

All the other clips look ridiculous too especially the one of her cutting photos of William out as if for a scrapbook on him 🙈

I can imagine Kate & William watching it and absolutely pissing themselves laughing 🤣

But you just know some people will take it as gospel 🤦‍♀️

Reactions: 10
I don’t watch the Crown but keep seeing clips of it. Why have they got Kate & Carol meeting Diana and William as that never happened as Kate has said she never met her?

All the other clips look ridiculous too especially the one of her cutting photos of William out as if for a scrapbook on him 🙈

I can imagine Kate & William watching it and absolutely pissing themselves laughing 🤣

But you just know some people will take it as gospel 🤦‍♀️
The thing is, she probably did … lots of girls around the same age will have done exactly the same. Same as Diana having a poster of Charles or Meghan having a photo taken outside Buckingham Palace. It’s just stuff that a lot of people do. it doesn’t mean you are plotting a plot to snare an appropriately aged Prince. Our class visited London and had the obligatory photo at Buck Houses but fortunately none of us bagged Prince Andrew.

Somewhere there will be an 8 or 9 year old girl with a Prince George Daily Mail pull out that in 20 years will be held up as proof as some sort of cunning masterplan.

Reactions: 4
Oh god, you’re still saying “aborigines”. What a hill to die on 🤦‍♀️
Here’s the deal: if you don’t want people pointing out that you’ve linked to a poll that says most Kiwis think they’ll be a republic in the next ten years, and that a majority of Aussies and Canadians want to be a republic, then maybe don’t link to one? 😂

I’ll leave this topic with this point: if the coalition here succeed in devaluing the Treaty, a lot of reason and support for the existence of the Crown in NZ will be gone.
It would be interesting to see how the royal family deal with a Western country leaving the monarchy when it does happen, whether it’s us or another. I reckon they’d be fine with it, but who knows?
---

I think that’s really great. It’s disgusting how these newspapers think it’s okay to hack people’s phones. The more cases like this that succeed, whoever the charges come from, the better.
Well whether you call them 'aborigines' or your more PC 'First Nations', the majority of Australians rejected giving them a voice in the Australian Parliament and given that given the current Australian Labor government is still battling to get that through as their first priority another republican referendum is well on the backburner. The poll I linked to gave a clear 10% margin amongst New Zealanders for keeping the monarchy and that is what matters, not what hypothetically some may think will happen in the future.

The Crown exists in large part to keep a politician as head of state, that is far more important than what the precise terms of what the precise terms of the Treaty of Waitangi are. Most Commonwealth nations have their own heads of state anyway, however given Australians' resounding rejection of their liberal elites proposal for a voice for First Nations in the Australian Parliament they may well see keeping links with the Crown as preserving their heritage in a further rejection of wokeism

Reactions: 1
The problem the crown has (much like Harry’s book funnily enough) is that once you know one thing is totally made up (eg the Big issue meeting between William and Kate) you then question everything.

It’s hard to imagine Carole, a miners daughter, would be a Maggie Thatcher fan (and how on earth would they know?!) for example.

The fact that people watch it and use it to form their opinions on the royals and historical events is worrying to say the least

Reactions: 16
I think the first series is quite accurate but then the later series are full of absolute shite apparently 😂
I stopped watching it after S5. Load of bollocks taking liberties left right and centre. Such a shame as the first 4 series were very, very good. (Apart from Olivia Coleman, who was the weak link)

Reactions: 5
I think the first series is quite accurate but then the later series are full of absolute shite apparently 😂
I think it’s just that the later series fall into most people’s living memory so the fact it’s absolute shite is way more obvious to most whereas the first/earlier ones didn’t and so it got away with it 😂

Reactions: 13
I do find it totally bizarre that in a show about the queen and the dysfunctional Windsors, by the end the villain or at least the worst character is bloody Carole Middleton.

Charles gets a redemption arc, the prince with a p**do pal is nowhere to be seen, nor are the Prince and his wife who tried to sell the family connections for profit (Edward and Sophie) and yet the worst and most unlikeable character is some random middle class woman who is depicted as a cold evil genius

Bizarre and I’d love to know what Peter Morgan has against a middle class woman who was born to coal miners and decided she wanted more…hmmmm

Reactions: 23
It is pretty well known the Middletons all put their eggs in the basket with Kate and William, though. It wouldn't shock me Carole who was a known social climber and frankly obsessed with it through her children would push for it, but I think Kate had agency of her own too and wanted to go for it. I believe she and Meghan are similar that way - very steely, ruthless, will go any lengths for what they want. So Kate did. The opportunity was there, and the entire family capitalized on it. Paying for his holidays (he and Harry are notoriously cheap and would whinge to have their Mustique, Maldives, etc holidays covered and they were), ensconcing him in their family bubble as the #1, Kate turning a blind eye to his behaviors and disregard because of the great prize she'd be getting and Carole making sure they always got back together.

A lot of The Crown seems to be aimed, too, to American audiences who think Charles is some dastardly evil villain who murdered Saint Diana, and people who think Diana was a perfect halcyon example of humanity.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Do people think Carole sought out and then chased down James Matthew’s for Pippa?

Reactions: 2
It is pretty well known the Middletons all put their eggs in the basket with Kate and William, though. It wouldn't shock me Carole who was a known social climber and frankly obsessed with it through her children would push for it, but I think Kate had agency of her own too and wanted to go for it. I believe she and Meghan are similar that way - very steely, ruthless, will go any lengths for what they want. So Kate did. The opportunity was there, and the entire family capitalized on it. Paying for his holidays (he and Harry are notoriously cheap and would whinge to have their Mustique, Maldives, etc holidays covered and they were), ensconcing him in their family bubble as the #1, Kate turning a blind eye to his behaviors and disregard because of the great prize she'd be getting and Carole making sure they always got back together.

A lot of The Crown seems to be aimed, too, to American audiences who think Charles is some dastardly evil villain who murdered Saint Diana, and people who think Diana was a perfect halcyon example of humanity.
Oh right- this big plan- how did they make sure William choose kate over anyone else? has he no mind of his own? being in proximity to someone will not automatically end in a relationship…

Last edited:
Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.