The Royal Family #41

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve always thought Australia and NZ were much further ahead in the desire for a republic than Canada are, or is it just Trudeau that is seen as a monarchist versus the general consensus of the country?
From my experience the older generations of them all are pretty similar, but younger au or NZ people are far more likely to be pro republic than Canadians.

Reactions: 1
Not necessarily. Our Governor-Generals are appointed by political parties but are very apolitical, the process could be done in the same way for a president. It doesn’t have to be done the way the US or France does it.

Interestingly, I have seen the monarchy topic pop up again a couple of times recently in NZ as a right-wing coalition party is trying to get a referendum on our treaty. The Treaty is what complicates breaking off our relationship with the Crown, so it’ll be interesting to see what unexpected issues arise from the whole messy debate.

I’ve always thought that as soon as one of Canada, Aussie or NZ becomes a republic, the other two will follow. But who knows?

100% agree. Whole thing needs a trim! NZ had a referendum a while back to reduce number of MPs, but of course the subsequent governments chose it ignore it. 🙄
Almost all Presidents are politicians or have been politicians, as opposed to governor generals who are often former diplomats or civil servants acting on behalf of the monarchy.

The ACT want a referendum on the principles of the Treaty of Waitangi, it isn't strictly about the monarchy
---
I’ve always thought Australia and NZ were much further ahead in the desire for a republic than Canada are, or is it just Trudeau that is seen as a monarchist versus the general consensus of the country?
Both Trudeau and Opposition leader Poilievre back the monarchy, only the minority NDP and BQ want a republic

I dunno, I watched the Willmania episode and out of all the seasons this feels the most unbelievable and ridiculous.

All of a sudden the men of the family have miraculously become emotionally intelligent and self aware despite decades of being the opposite. And despite never coming across this way IRL.

Then we have Kate Middleton gazing wistfully out of the window at William while working as a waitress, while being told in effect that she’s not posh enough to date Will. The same girl who went to one of the most expensive private schools in the country, whose parents bought her an entire flat to herself in Chelsea no less. Aye, she did a couple of waitressing shifts and just became one of the people.

the actors playing william and Kate are wooden and awkward and unlikeable but… are actually doing a good job of portraying their subjects so there’s that.

it’s all very hallmark movie where Wills and Kate are concerned.
I’ve found the writing and acting of the show has gone down hill drastically since series 1 and 2.

Reactions: 8
I’ve found the writing and acting of the show has gone down hill drastically since series 1 and 2.
I thought the previous season was excellent though (the dining table scene with Diana and Charles was brilliant writing and acting). I think season 1 and 2 were the best though

I love how they subtlety referenced the rumours that Carole (possibly with Kate’s agreement) orchestrated Kate’s gap year and application to St Andrews. Very well done.

I have to say though, feeling not good enough for someone because their grandfather flew in the RAF with Prince Philip felt a bit like inverted classism to me - maybe that was the point. Carole was pretty classist and social climbey in the series.

Harry came across like a creep sex starved ball bag. Which tbf, I can totally see being true.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5
I think it is pretty obvious Kate had a hand in planning her life around getting close to William. Changing universities, her gap year programs, ingratiating herself with the 'right people' - they had met before uni, after all. I don't think it was all Ma Middleton. She like Markle is very determined and ruthless in getting what she wants.

Harry is a creep. 'She's not black though she's African!' he insisted about Chelsy, and was known for being slimy and scummy with women.

I haven't watched it, though - I can't stand Diana or the Diana worship and hagiography about some saint, but I think that's a narrative directed to all the Americans who watch and still think she was a saint as opposed to a 3 dimensional human being who could be genuinely horrible.

Reactions: 9
I think it is pretty obvious Kate had a hand in planning her life around getting close to William. Changing universities, her gap year programs, ingratiating herself with the 'right people' - they had met before uni, after all. I don't think it was all Ma Middleton. She like Markle is very determined and ruthless in getting what she wants.

Harry is a creep. 'She's not black though she's African!' he insisted about Chelsy, and was known for being slimy and scummy with women.

I haven't watched it, though - I can't stand Diana or the Diana worship and hagiography about some saint, but I think that's a narrative directed to all the Americans who watch and still think she was a saint as opposed to a 3 dimensional human being who could be genuinely horrible.
seems like the Windsor men aren’t especially clever or emotionally intelligent, which in turn makes them susceptible to controlling/manipulative/assertive women.

George VI relied heavily on his wife, who supposedly preferred his older brother, and married him as second choice after turning him down multiple times. Apparently that’s why there was so much resentment towards Wallace Simpson and Edward.

then Charles was obsessed with Camila PB, who for all her qualities was ultimately pretty conniving. Happy to play games to make APB jealous, happy to conspire to cheat behind Diana’s back and so on.

Andrew married Fergie who lets face it, has been an ongoing embarrassment and would be to any family let alone one in the public eye as much as the royal family. I like Sophie, but she comes across very much as the stronger decision maker in her marriage. I get the sense she’s the real backbone.

Harry has been played like a fiddle by Meghan Markle and has almost certainly been fed a bunch of fibs to get his interest.

and last but not least, I think it’s generally accepted that Kate played a few strategic games herself to get Wills attention. And when he broke up with her, was very quick to make sure she was papped out partying with his friends.

nothing wrong with being a strong and assertive woman of course, but I think it’s very telling about how dysfunctional the royal family is, that the men all seem pretty weak and easily manipulated and out of touch of their own emotions.

Reactions: 4
I know this makes me sound like a witch but I was so relieved to see that Carole Middleton has put on weight after the menopause.
Nice to know that she's human and hasn't rushed for the Ozempic.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
seems like the Windsor men aren’t especially clever or emotionally intelligent, which in turn makes them susceptible to controlling/manipulative/assertive women.

George VI relied heavily on his wife, who supposedly preferred his older brother, and married him as second choice after turning him down multiple times. Apparently that’s why there was so much resentment towards Wallace Simpson and Edward.

then Charles was obsessed with Camila PB, who for all her qualities was ultimately pretty conniving. Happy to play games to make APB jealous, happy to conspire to cheat behind Diana’s back and so on.

Andrew married Fergie who lets face it, has been an ongoing embarrassment and would be to any family let alone one in the public eye as much as the royal family. I like Sophie, but she comes across very much as the stronger decision maker in her marriage. I get the sense she’s the real backbone.

Harry has been played like a fiddle by Meghan Markle and has almost certainly been fed a bunch of fibs to get his interest.

and last but not least, I think it’s generally accepted that Kate played a few strategic games herself to get Wills attention. And when he broke up with her, was very quick to make sure she was papped out partying with his friends.

nothing wrong with being a strong and assertive woman of course, but I think it’s very telling about how dysfunctional the royal family is, that the men all seem pretty weak and easily manipulated and out of touch of their own emotions.
I still find it hard to believe that Kate was so confident she'd bag a Prince (future British King at that) and decided her path accordingly but its not like I know her personally so who knows. I still maintain her sister got the much better deal.

Reactions: 15

Or is that you have to be a strong assertive woman to survive the lifestyle? Diana had many qualities but she wasn’t those things (or not when she married) and she really struggled.

Reactions: 7
I still find it hard to believe that Kate was so confident she'd bag a Prince (future British King at that) and decided her path accordingly but its not like I know her personally so who knows. I still maintain her sister got the much better deal.
She did but she wouldn't have been able to bag the billionaire if she didn't come to the nation's attention at her sister's wedding

Kate didn't have to confident but it was worth a shot. It's not like she was changing to a tit uni or anything

Reactions: 8
I laugh when people say Kate is a role model...she has barely done a day's work in her life.
How is she a role model to young girls??

Probably the hardest she has worked is when she tried to get on the Raleigh event in Chile, that William was on...and missed by c.a week!!
Probably the most work she has ever done...

Was going to Edinburgh to uni, then changed it St Andrews and took a gap year to coincide with William joining. Joined his course too... Um!!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 14
I laugh when people say Kate is a role model...she has barely done a day's work in her life.
How is she a role model to young girls??

Probably the hardest she has worked is when she tried to get on the Raleigh event in Chile, that William was on...and missed by c.a week!!
Probably the most work she has ever done...

Was going to Edinburgh to uni, then changed it St Andrews and took a gap year to coincide with William joining. Joined his course too... Um!!
Are any of them role models?

Reactions: 3
the researchers for the Crown touched upon this in an interview. They basically looked into the likelihood of it all because they wanted to be fair; Edinburgh was Kate’s initial choice. She’d obtained a place, her friends were going there, she’d even chosen a flat. After William announced where he was going (St Andrew’s) and that he was taking a gap year… Kate followed suit… at the time, there was something like a 40% rise in applications for St Andrews. Ita a good Uni, but Edinburgh was better at the time for the course she chose. So it was pretty risky. And none of her friends took a gap year.

researchers basically concluded that there was no reasonable explanation for her change of direction. So they included it in The Crown.

I know the crown are trying to portray a nice, optimistic love story… but I don’t care how young they were. You don’t break up with someone you’re obsessed with and love, unless you’re wondering if there’s something better out there.

Wills got sucked into the Middleton clan and gave up trying to find an alternative because his choices were always limited. That three month break was an escape attempt.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
Almost all Presidents are politicians or have been politicians, as opposed to governor generals who are often former diplomats or civil servants acting on behalf of the monarchy.

The ACT want a referendum on the principles of the Treaty of Waitangi, it isn't strictly about the monarchy
It’s just ACT, not the ACT, and yes, I know that’s what they want. What I said is that the treaty debate they are trying to force is also triggering monarchy discussion amongst citizens. The complication of renegotiating the Treaty and settlements is a main reason many people haven’t wanted to be a republic. If that goes… 🤷‍♀️

And as I said, just because most presidents are political doesn’t mean they all have to be.
---
the researchers for the Crown touched upon this in an interview. They basically looked into the likelihood of it all because they wanted to be fair; Edinburgh was Kate’s initial choice. She’d obtained a place, her friends were going there, she’d even chosen a flat. After William announced where he was going (St Andrew’s) and that he was taking a gap year… Kate followed suit… at the time, there was something like a 40% rise in applications for St Andrews. Ita a good Uni, but Edinburgh was better at the time for the course she chose. So it was pretty risky. And none of her friends took a gap year.

researchers basically concluded that there was no reasonable explanation for her change of direction. So they included it in The Crown.

I know the crown are trying to portray a nice, optimistic love story… but I don’t care how young they were. You don’t break up with someone you’re obsessed with and love, unless you’re wondering if there’s something better out there.

Wills got sucked into the Middleton clan and gave up trying to find an alternative because his choices were always limited. That three month break was an escape attempt.
Interesting choice to portray Will as obsessed with Kate! I think even their biggest fans would have to acknowledge that that wasn’t how it went down.
The newest seasons (5 & 6) have been so soapy. I’m looking forward to watching the rest of it this weekend!

Reactions: 2
To be fair I know plenty of couples who broke up briefly (often instigated by the guy who has a sudden freak out about settling down etc) only for them to quickly realise what they had and get back together. It’s also pretty normal during said break ups to post your best photos living your best life on insta, with a couple of attractive guys thrown in, if you want their attention, Kate was just doing her version of that. I don’t think they’re some epic love story but I also don’t think their break up means much in the grand scheme of things

Reactions: 16
Or is that you have to be a strong assertive woman to survive the lifestyle? Diana had many qualities but she wasn’t those things (or not when she married) and she really struggled.
yeh I think you do. But it’s more an observation of the men in the family. They do seem to be very easily manipulated and controlled.

Rumours of carol’s involvement in Kate’s Uni choice, her gap year and even accusations that she bribed admissions/halls of residence, have been floating around for years. Since she was dating William.

I can’t imagine staying with someone knowing they’d likely been that manipulative and strategic towards me. I wonder if it’s similar to Harry - he was so desperate for a wife that he’s bought up lies and untruths fed to him, and has convinced himself this trauma response is a fairytale romance. William has always seemed more sensible but maybe it’s just because he’s reserved and keeps his head down.

It’s just ACT, not the ACT, and yes, I know that’s what they want. What I said is that the treaty debate they are trying to force is also triggering monarchy discussion amongst citizens. The complication of renegotiating the Treaty and settlements is a main reason many people haven’t wanted to be a republic. If that goes… 🤷‍♀️

And as I said, just because most presidents are political doesn’t mean they all have to be.
---

Interesting choice to portray Will as obsessed with Kate! I think even their biggest fans would have to acknowledge that that wasn’t how it went down.
The newest seasons (5 & 6) have been so soapy. I’m looking forward to watching the rest of it this weekend!
Is it? On what basis? New Zealand polls have a clear majority for retaining the monarchy and New Zealand First is also staunchly monarchist and a key part of the new NZ government so that does not follow.

All Presidents are political, either as former politicians or as Presidents with executive powers.

Is it? On what basis? New Zealand polls have a clear majority for retaining the monarchy and New Zealand First is also staunchly monarchist and a key part of the new NZ government so that does not follow.

Uh, you’ve linked a poll that says only 44% want to keep the monarchy, and it also says the majority of NZers think we will vote to be a republic within ten years. 😂 So yes, I think it’s accurate.

I’m not saying our current government would split from the monarchy yet, none of the coalition parties have that policy and I don’t think it’ll happen in their term (so the next three years). I’m saying that the referendum, if they’re stupid enough to have it, could be the catalyst that collapses the whole house of cards. And if they’re a one term government, which they could be, then who knows?

You can Google our coalition partners and polls all you like, but that’s not a substitute for being here and knowing the country.

Interestingly, that same poll showed majority votes in favour of a republic in Aussie and Canada! Interesting. I wouldn’t be surprised if it happened in Aussie first, personally.
---
yeh I think you do. But it’s more an observation of the men in the family. They do seem to be very easily manipulated and controlled.

Rumours of carol’s involvement in Kate’s Uni choice, her gap year and even accusations that she bribed admissions/halls of residence, have been floating around for years. Since she was dating William.

I can’t imagine staying with someone knowing they’d likely been that manipulative and strategic towards me. I wonder if it’s similar to Harry - he was so desperate for a wife that he’s bought up lies and untruths fed to him, and has convinced himself this trauma response is a fairytale romance. William has always seemed more sensible but maybe it’s just because he’s reserved and keeps his head down.
I agree on the men. They seem to be easily led in many cases. It’s an odd thing to see in a family that until very recently, prioritised men as better leaders and more suited to being in charge!

Last edited:
To be fair I know plenty of couples who broke up briefly (often instigated by the guy who has a sudden freak out about settling down etc) only for them to quickly realise what they had and get back together. It’s also pretty normal during said break ups to post your best photos living your best life on insta, with a couple of attractive guys thrown in, if you want their attention, Kate was just doing her version of that. I don’t think they’re some epic love story but I also don’t think their break up means much in the grand scheme of things
no one likes to talk about it… but a lot of the time the guy instigating the breakup in this of instance… doesn’t want the relationship but doesn’t want to be alone more.

The relationship can be good, happy… but they know the woman in question just isn’t “the one”. Not that they don’t love them, just that they don’t feel that deep connection.

A lot of people, for a lot of reasons… settle for less than that deep consuming love, that deep connection with someone.

sure, we all post pictures of our best selves. But we don’t set out to be deliberately papped. We don’t date date his friends. Because that is manipulative.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.