The Royal Family #41

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've been attempting to explain why the Irish Republic has a president not at all like Macron or Biden. Basically independence happened 100 years ago and they modelled it on whatever the British King (or Queen) did at the time
Interesting, I'll have to do some reading!

In fairness they have little to nothing better to do
---

Err. Exactly. No need to film it
Why not? I’ve never really understood the problem with people filming or sharing their charity work. The biggest reason I always hear is “people should do good without sharing it” which just sounds like guilt that the person complaining isn’t doing anything and doesn’t want to be reminded.

Reactions: 7
I've been attempting to explain why the Irish Republic has a president not at all like Macron or Biden. Basically independence happened 100 years ago and they modelled it on whatever the British King (or Queen) did at the time
1938 Douglas Hyde was elected - presidency used the German Model 7 years in office- I don’t know where the idea it was modelled on the Royal Family came from when he was all for claiming back “Irishness” -
IMG_4362.jpeg

Reactions: 4
The thing, as has been discussed on this thread before, if they don’t share it then they get accused of doing nothing. Countless charities, including the baby banks featured in this video, have talked about the private trips and volunteering they do but people are often “yeah I don’t believe it” … then when they prove they’ve gone and use it as a way to raise awareness and encourage donations they’re slated for that too

Reactions: 22
The thing, as has been discussed on this thread before, if they don’t share it then they get accused of doing nothing. Countless charities, including the baby banks featured in this video, have talked about the private trips and volunteering they do but people are often “yeah I don’t believe it” … then when they prove they’ve gone and use it as a way to raise awareness and encourage donations they’re slated for that too
It is their actual job to engage with charities and raise awareness.

Reactions: 3
I think the impact on charities is more individual than any report can really show. For example the CEO at the baby banks said after Kate visited publicly they had an influx of people coming to actually use the service as they didn’t know about it until they saw it in the press off the back of her visit, so there was impact just not necessarily in financial donations
I thought you had to be referred to the baby bank, just like food banks? I didn't think people could just show up. But I suppose maybe they wouldn't turn people in need away even if they don't have a referral.

I thought you had to be referred to the baby bank, just like food banks? I didn't think people could just show up. But I suppose maybe they wouldn't turn people in need away even if they don't have a referral.
I might be wrong but I think at some at least you can “self refer” too

Reactions: 1
Yes but few have heard of the Irish President outside Ireland, they generate little tourism revenue. The current Irish President has also started to stray beyond his remit as a ceremonial head of state by making comments on Ukraine and Israel which have been controversial

• Haha
I really like that this thread is filled with people on both sides of the argument being respectful of opposing views. As someone who is pretty on the fence it’s really interesting to read both sides. Like someone will explain their anti-monarchy position I’ll read it and nod along like “yeah BEHEAD THEM ALL NOW!!” (Kidding). And then someone else will post something about how they benefit society and how it would still be very expensive to have an alternative head of state and I nod along to that too 😂

But it genuinely is so interesting to be able to see people having discussions on both sides in a reasonable way online, so thank you!!

My main issue with getting rid of the monarchy is that I’m not sure what the alternative would be. Australia is generally very anti-monarchy for example and yet they don’t seem to have found a solution yet. I think the tide might start turning when Australia and New Zealand become republics and show a viable alternative that works well to democracies set up like ours.

Reactions: 12
I really like that this thread is filled with people on both sides of the argument being respectful of opposing views. As someone who is pretty on the fence it’s really interesting to read both sides. Like someone will explain their anti-monarchy position I’ll read it and nod along like “yeah BEHEAD THEM ALL NOW!!” (Kidding). And then someone else will post something about how they benefit society and how it would still be very expensive to have an alternative head of state and I nod along to that too 😂

But it genuinely is so interesting to be able to see people having discussions on both sides in a reasonable way online, so thank you!!

My main issue with getting rid of the monarchy is that I’m not sure what the alternative would be. Australia is generally very anti-monarchy for example and yet they don’t seem to have found a solution yet. I think the tide might start turning when Australia and New Zealand become republics and show a viable alternative that works well to democracies set up like ours.
The alternative to a monarch is of course a politician as head of state instead. Hence even Australians rejected a republic in the 1999 referendum there on the monarchy

Reactions: 6
Just seen William today in his naval uniform. He really only should do public events whilst wearing a hat/cap etc, he looks so much better with his lack of hair covered up.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I was quite moved by the King’s meeting with faith leaders. Charles does these things well

Reactions: 4
Does anyone who moans about the cost of Royalty ever think about the massive waste run up by the Houses of Parliament? In the modern age of emails etc do we really need over 600 MPs? We never see ours, he lives about 25 miles away and never visits. Buy he's costing a fortune each year. Then you have Lords who turn up and snooze yet trouser £300ish a day?

All the pointless foreign trips, expenses etc, I'd say this could also be massively reformed.

Reactions: 20
I urge anyone who is a reformer to visit the Palace of Westminster and see how enriched our history is. It’s absolutely stunning. Get a tour with someone who can explain each room and hall. I was really blown away but it all considering I didn’t think it would be that interesting. It made me feel in awe of all the historical figures, Kings and Queens who had walked there.

The alternative to a monarch is of course a politician as head of state instead. Hence even Australians rejected a republic in the 1999 referendum there on the monarchy
Not necessarily. Our Governor-Generals are appointed by political parties but are very apolitical, the process could be done in the same way for a president. It doesn’t have to be done the way the US or France does it.

Interestingly, I have seen the monarchy topic pop up again a couple of times recently in NZ as a right-wing coalition party is trying to get a referendum on our treaty. The Treaty is what complicates breaking off our relationship with the Crown, so it’ll be interesting to see what unexpected issues arise from the whole messy debate.

I’ve always thought that as soon as one of Canada, Aussie or NZ becomes a republic, the other two will follow. But who knows?
Does anyone who moans about the cost of Royalty ever think about the massive waste run up by the Houses of Parliament? In the modern age of emails etc do we really need over 600 MPs? We never see ours, he lives about 25 miles away and never visits. Buy he's costing a fortune each year. Then you have Lords who turn up and snooze yet trouser £300ish a day?

All the pointless foreign trips, expenses etc, I'd say this could also be massively reformed.
100% agree. Whole thing needs a trim! NZ had a referendum a while back to reduce number of MPs, but of course the subsequent governments chose it ignore it. 🙄

Not necessarily. Our Governor-Generals are appointed by political parties but are very apolitical, the process could be done in the same way for a president. It doesn’t have to be done the way the US or France does it.

Interestingly, I have seen the monarchy topic pop up again a couple of times recently in NZ as a right-wing coalition party is trying to get a referendum on our treaty. The Treaty is what complicates breaking off our relationship with the Crown, so it’ll be interesting to see what unexpected issues arise from the whole messy debate.

I’ve always thought that as soon as one of Canada, Aussie or NZ becomes a republic, the other two will follow. But who knows?

100% agree. Whole thing needs a trim! NZ had a referendum a while back to reduce number of MPs, but of course the subsequent governments chose it ignore it. 🙄
I’ve always thought Australia and NZ were much further ahead in the desire for a republic than Canada are, or is it just Trudeau that is seen as a monarchist versus the general consensus of the country?

I’ve always thought Australia and NZ were much further ahead in the desire for a republic than Canada are, or is it just Trudeau that is seen as a monarchist versus the general consensus of the country?
They might be? I’ve never lived in Canada so can only judge Aussie and NZ! Does Canada have treaties or settlements between the Crown and First Nations people? Aussie doesn’t so technically their route is a bit easier.

Has anyone watched any of the last Crown episodes? I’ve only seen one of the last six so far.

Last edited:
They might be? I’ve never lived in Canada so can only judge Aussie and NZ! Does Canada have treaties or settlements between the Crown and First Nations people? Aussie doesn’t so technically their route is a bit easier.

Has anyone watched any of the last Crown episodes? I’ve only seen one of the last six so far.
The next one is very good imo

Yes, most people I know who object to the Royals based on cost and purpose in a modern world also feel the same about Westminster and the Lords.

The next one is very good imo
I dunno, I watched the Willmania episode and out of all the seasons this feels the most unbelievable and ridiculous.

All of a sudden the men of the family have miraculously become emotionally intelligent and self aware despite decades of being the opposite. And despite never coming across this way IRL.

Then we have Kate Middleton gazing wistfully out of the window at William while working as a waitress, while being told in effect that she’s not posh enough to date Will. The same girl who went to one of the most expensive private schools in the country, whose parents bought her an entire flat to herself in Chelsea no less. Aye, she did a couple of waitressing shifts and just became one of the people.

the actors playing william and Kate are wooden and awkward and unlikeable but… are actually doing a good job of portraying their subjects so there’s that.

it’s all very hallmark movie where Wills and Kate are concerned.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.