The Royal Family #40

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm not really sure about the idea that Charles is a "caretaker monarchy." I feel like it's an assumption that's been made due to his age, but Charles has shown more passion and real commitment to a cause than many royals, so it seems odd to think that he'll be simply keeping the seat warm for William, who will somehow be more memorable and transformative. That this is often said in the same breath as discussing William's seeming lack of passion and lack of work is particularly strange.

While I think it's fair to assume Charles won't have a long reign, given the human body can only last so long, I don't think that necessitates that he's just holding the seat for William.

Reactions: 15
I'm not really sure about the idea that Charles is a "caretaker monarchy." I feel like it's an assumption that's been made due to his age, but Charles has shown more passion and real commitment to a cause than many royals, so it seems odd to think that he'll be simply keeping the seat warm for William, who will somehow be more memorable and transformative. That this is often said in the same breath as discussing William's seeming lack of passion and lack of work is particularly strange.

While I think it's fair to assume Charles won't have a long reign, given the human body can only last so long, I don't think that necessitates that he's just holding the seat for William.
I use the term also because Charles seems still very disliked and for some reason William is insanely popular.

Reactions: 1
I use the term also because Charles seems still very disliked and for some reason William is insanely popular.
William is popular because he is not Charles, Harry or Andrew. He is the altenative - but really, we don't know much about him.

Reactions: 8
William is popular because he is not Charles, Harry or Andrew. He is the altenative - but really, we don't know much about him.
Not knowing much about him likely helps.

For the most part, people want royals that are pretty to look at and that they can project their own assumptions and preferences onto. Some want to believe they're authoritarian and traditional, some want to believe they're progressive, some want to believe they're living out a childhood fairytale.
As soon as they're presented as real and flawed humans with their own personality, outside of what can be imagined upon them, they tend to be less popular.

Just look at Diana - when she was young, beautiful, and devoid of a strong public persona she was loved. The public turned when her flaws were apparent, and loved her again when she was dead and they could posthumously rewrite her personality to suit their preferences at will.

Reactions: 19

I think a lot of it is because in the almost year (!) since the Queen died, he doesn’t seem to have done anything or been anywhere of note. If he doesn’t want his reign to seem more like an interregnum then he needs to start putting his long nursed plans into action. William also need to accept that at over 40, maybe he’s pushed the period of grace as far as it can go and actually start being seen to put the hard yards in.

Reactions: 5
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
Sorry, as I haven't read on here of late

I'm admitting that I take a 180 on Charles. He was pushed into a marriage he didn't want and was then looked down upon (by myself, too) because of it

It's a shame that Charles isn't an Icon, as Queen Elizabeth II was

He should be in a sense of what he's accomplished with his time of waiting - he could have been like every other heir sitting on his rear - but he tried to do things with his position that are commendable. The Prince's Trust is an amazing legacy.

William will have zero legacy.

Reactions: 11
Anyone have any idea of where they've gone on holiday?
I know Charles is (I think) currently in Scotland, but is there any idea of where Wills and Kate are?
I suppose they are back in Windsor now given the kids are back at school next week.

He should be in a sense of what he's accomplished with his time of waiting - he could have been like every other heir sitting on his rear - but he tried to do things with his position that are commendable. The Prince's Trust is an amazing legacy.
Yes I think he’s done some good things in his time (and I say this as someone who isn’t much of a fan of the Royals!). The Prince’s Trust like you said and he also spoke about the environment long before it was fashionable to do so. He also believes in saving historic buildings and having beauty in architecture.
Like you said - William doesn’t have a legacy. I’m not sure how he’s been able to get so far with doing so little

Reactions: 9
Sorry, as I haven't read on here of late

I'm admitting that I take a 180 on Charles. He was pushed into a marriage he didn't want and was then looked down upon (by myself, too) because of it

It's a shame that Charles isn't an Icon, as Queen Elizabeth II was
Which is fine until you remember he was 32 when he married. I mean, the whole thing was a complete Horlicks but if you can’t say at 32 it’s not what you want, then it’s a bad job. Even if the tea towels are printed.

Reactions: 10
I know Charles is (I think) currently in Scotland, but is there any idea of where Wills and Kate are?
I suppose they are back in Windsor now given the kids are back at school next week.
William and Kate were in Scotland as well but no idea where they have spent the rest of summer
It never seems to be revealed unless they do like the Jordan holiday Christmas card
Like you say they’ll be back in Windsor for the start of term shortly so we’ll get a photo call for that

Reactions: 2
We’ll probably be allowed to know when they release the Christmas Card photo.
First guess is Not Australia.

• Haha
I think Charles will be remembered as a great Prince of Wales, what he has achieved in that role is really commendable not just The Princes Trust but also I’m pretty sure the Duchy was practically bankrupt when he took over and countless residents say it’s his vision that transformed it.

Of course we don’t know what’s to come but I don’t imagine he will be remembered as a great monarch. I would say he’s more of a “transfer” monarch as opposed to a placeholder one, bridging the stark differences between his mothers reign that’s foundations were formed over 70 years ago and his sons that will need to be a reflection of the modern world.

I know it’s the daily fail but I found this really interesting to see the play by play of that day. I can’t believe it’s almost a year ago, it was such a strange day

Sounds like the press had an inkling Liz was on her last legs way before the rest of us did. It was so obvious looking back.

Reactions: 6
Sounds like the press had an inkling Liz was on her last legs way before the rest of us did. It was so obvious looking back.
Of course they did they had to have all their ducks in row with black clothes, the retrospective films/articles ready to go, the ability to change the schedule, the people/commentators lined up to give their condolences

You couldn’t have them scrabbling around trying to find the right icons to use with no notice

It will have all been practised in advance as well

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.