The Royal Family #40

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I thought Edward was always in line for the Duke of Edinburgh title
He was in line, just not the first. It was settled on the "heirs male", which meant Charles was first. So Charles became Duke of Edinburgh when his dad died, and the title then merged with the Crown when he became King. Charles was then free to create the title again for his brother.

Reactions: 7
He was in line, just not the first. It was settled on the "heirs male", which meant Charles was first. So Charles became Duke of Edinburgh when his dad died, and the title then merged with the Crown when he became King. Charles was then free to create the title again for his brother.
However prior to this, the Queen had made it known upon Edward's marriage to Sophie that he would be created Duke of Edinburgh upon his Father's death. This is why he was "only" made an Earl on his wedding day unlike his brother Andrew who became a Duke. Of course, Charles could have chosen not to carry out his Mother's wishes when the title reverted back to the crown before the Queen could do anything about it, but I think that he has a lot of respect (rightfully) for what she would have wanted.

I do however think that the Queen was hasty in deciding that Edward could have the DoE title once Prince Philip had died. It's a massive role and should have gone to someone more prominent - not that there's anyone suitable for that now. I would have thought Harry would have probably been destined for the role had he not met Meghan/became a massive drama 😅

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Its a big role (due to prince philips work) and one i wouldn't have thought a king had time for
---
This is one of those weird stories that feels like it has some sort of hidden message but I’ve no idea what 😂
Is it the weird "they are splitting up" rumour again?
Not just married woman, enjoys night out with her friend?

Reactions: 2
However prior to this, the Queen had made it known upon Edward's marriage to Sophie that he would be created Duke of Edinburgh upon his Father's death. This is why he was "only" made an Earl on his wedding day unlike his brother Andrew who became a Duke. Of course, Charles could have chosen not to carry out his Mother's wishes when the title reverted back to the crown before the Queen could do anything about it, but I think that he has a lot of respect (rightfully) for what she would have wanted.

I do however think that the Queen was hasty in deciding that Edward could have the DoE title once Prince Philip had died. It's a massive role and should have gone to someone more prominent - not that there's anyone suitable for that now. I would have thought Harry would have probably been destined for the role had he not met Meghan/became a massive drama 😅
Edward has been working with the DoE scheme for at least 20 years that I can remember. He was definitely being lined up to take over his father's work with young people (and Philip had many more things than just the DoE scheme). Don't forget that Andrew was a full career naval officer, even if he did sail a desk in the MoD for quite a few years at the end.

Reactions: 7
I imagine they would still be working royals but would largely go unnoticed.

Sophie and Edward highlight one of the major flaws in the late Queen for me. They have a ridiculously large house and were promised one of the most important and regarded titles (Edinburgh) despite now being so far down the line of succession and being unrecognisable to a large swathe of the population.

I really like them and think they do a great job, but I think the late Queen was so stuck in her ways and her view of monarchy that she was unable to see that giving her youngest child so much when he would end up far down the ranks and not of much importance to the monarchy was pointless.
I have to disagree with this. Regardless of his position in the line of succession, he still provides a huge value as a working royal and supporting his brother as King. The late Queen was supported for many years by relatives - cousins, who are so far down the line of succession yet, even now, still undertake engagements and represent the royal family at many events etc. Princess Alexandra, Duke of Kent, Duke & Duchess of Gloucester. All way down the line of succession but still highly respected working royals. I think the Duke of Edinburgh is well placed to continue as a fairly high profile working royal. It's not the position in the line of succession that matters really (as proved by Harry and Meghan), it's about the value you add as a working royal.

Reactions: 18
Its a big role (due to prince philips work) and one i wouldn't have thought a king had time for
---

Is it the weird "they are splitting up" rumour again?
Not just married woman, enjoys night out with her friend?
It is all a bit weird. It’s made the Times and it seems such a non-story to me. No photos either which would make it more interesting.
I think the only interest is that it’s a night out with Rose. The original rumours were about her. The only thing I can think is it’s being pushed because that the two of them went partying together is further evidence that the rumours weren’t true (like Rose and husband being pictured going to church with William and Kate over Christmas).
Unless we are supposed to think that Kate having a night out is a news story in itself. I don’t think that there are many stories of her partying nowadays?

Reactions: 1
The article I read about it was saying how it proves just how close friends Kate and Rose are and mentioned that Charles had given Rose’s husband a new role when he became king so they are all chummy

then added a final sentence saying William was not there and it is not known where he was which seemed unnecessary

Reactions: 1
Tbh I think the only reason the kate story is getting traction is because they’re all off over the summer so the royal beat is quiet, it’s a notorious “silly season” where the press will run with anything to fill the royal quota because there’s nothing else to talk about

The announcement said he would be Duke of Edinburgh "in due course", which I guess is posh-speak for "when everybody is dead, and your brother is King". They couldn't prevent Charles from becoming Duke of Edinburgh as he was first in line, but everybody (the press?) just assumed.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.