The Royal Family #38

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That is very true. I know she’s not been a working royal for awhile and she’s had a tough life, some terrible things to live through. I have a soft spot for her as she has (or had, not sure on her current condition) M.E which is what I have too.
I don't know much about her. What was tough about her life ?

in the space of 2 years she lost 2 babies … one after a termination due to contracting rubella(/German measles) and one a stillbirth. She went on the have mental health issues, somewhat unsurprisingly (and was supposedly within the family given the sobriquet ’Mad Kate‘. True or not, who knows. Believable? sadly).

• Sad
Reactions: 7
Her mother in law wasn’t happy about the marriage and they had a strained relationship, she contracted German measles (allegedly whilst performing Royal duties) whilst pregnant and had to have an abortion which she didn’t get a lot of support from within the Royal family, later she gave birth to a stillborn son at 9 months, she had depression, she has suffered from M.E. The Duke (her husband) wanted to get a divorce as he thought it would be better for both of them but the Queen was against it. She later converted to the Catholic faith and became a music teacher in Hull - she went by Mrs Kent or Katherine Kent. Her abortion happened in 1975, she lost her son, Patrick, in 1977 and her parents died in 1973 and 1979. A lot to happen in such a short space of time.

• Sad
Reactions: 16
It just highlights how right Anne was to say there is no more fat to trim from the working royals list. Princess Alexandra obviously not up to doing much/anything, Prince Edward is 87 and has had a couple of strokes, Prince Richard is 78 and his wife is 76. Take them out of the equation and you are left with Charles, Camilla, Anne (Timothy only really supports Anne, doesn’t work in his own right I don’t think), Edward, Sophie, William and Kate. There is no one under 40 among them. There are only 4 under 60 and for 2 of them it’s barely. Anne is obviously a powerhouse, but she’s only one person and 72 at that.

For all Charles wanted to slim down the monarchy they haven't actually done anything proactive to do that … all the changes have been thrust on them rather than considered decisions they’ve made so they are really going to have to now work out how they work with such reduced numbers.
Are Beatice & Eugenie still ‘half in half out’? Can they be called on to do more as the rest get older? Esp now that Harry definitely won’t be returning to the fold.

Reactions: 2
While I do think Alexandra would have deserved a chair, from my experience with the older generation- they can be incredibly stubborn about such things. My old folks insist on standing in certain pictures. And while I do think it must feel uncomfortable, it’s obviously some form of pride for them and I won’t take this from them.
So maybe that’s why we got this rather uncomfortable picture.
I think whoever did the post-edit did a poor job though. It’s uncomfortable to look at. The colours are too bright and the focus is too sharp if that makes sense.
---
Are Beatice & Eugenie still ‘half in half out’? Can they be called on to do more as the rest get older? Esp now that Harry definitely won’t be returning to the fold.
They stepped in for the Queen sometimes but I doubt they will for Charles. If we see them, then probably in a private capacity and not on behalf of the crown.

Reactions: 1
Beatrice got quite the promotion on the death of the Queen. She is now a Counsellor of State and one of only 4 people who can step in for King Charles at things such as Privy Council meetings, receiving ambassadors, signing documents, etc.

Reactions: 5
I personally think there is merit to Beatrice, Eugenie and Louise taking on part time duties alongside a “job” (basically like William was doing when he was doing the air ambulance and not a full time working royal)

The fact is the monarchy has an age problem that’s only going to get worse and as it stands it heaps a load of pressure on the Wales kids to start being full time royals far earlier than William had to, which I think is detrimental in the long run.

Bringing in the three girls adds a bit of new pizazz and some fresh air to the existing rota of royals, they can help to bulk out the larger events and receptions

A good idea would be for the three of them to take on a handful of the queen and Philips old patronages, as their grandchildren it’s a nice sense of continuity etc

Reactions: 14
A lip reader said Charles was irritated waiting in the coach and mentioned getting older. Maybe he has a hang up about his age and thought he'd appear young next to his much older relatives?

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I personally think there is merit to Beatrice, Eugenie and Louise taking on part time duties alongside a “job” (basically like William was doing when he was doing the air ambulance and not a full time working royal)

The fact is the monarchy has an age problem that’s only going to get worse and as it stands it heaps a load of pressure on the Wales kids to start being full time royals far earlier than William had to, which I think is detrimental in the long run.

Bringing in the three girls adds a bit of new pizazz and some fresh air to the existing rota of royals, they can help to bulk out the larger events and receptions

A good idea would be for the three of them to take on a handful of the queen and Philips old patronages, as their grandchildren it’s a nice sense of continuity etc
I’d assume it’s a given that the 3 children will go to University, which takes them up to 21, followed by a stint in one of the armed forces - certainly for George - it’s going to be something like at least 12-15 years before they get in the royal hamster wheel.

A lip reader said Charles was irritated waiting in the coach and mentioned getting older. Maybe he has a hang up about his age and thought he'd appear young next to his much older relatives?
Or it's the good old "we ain't gettin' any younger" quip about waiting.

It's actually interesting how the Royal life is almost always planned out from youth to adult. They don't go off course do they, especially the main royals.

It just sounds typical nervous grumbling to me.
I’m just sad we didn’t get a ‘don’t they know who I am’ from him.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
They said Charlotte’s was a replica and that had a cape so I guess Kate had one too under her robes. No idea why she wasn’t wearing it in the official photo unless she had got particularly hot with layers on
I read that she had a cape on it for under the special robes to stop the dresses embroidery being damaged

Reactions: 3
I am not sure I would agree about the age problem. The amount of working royals in other monarchies is often smaller and older. It’s only a problem if the BRF wants to continue raking in those numbers.
Subsequently (help a non native speaker out- right wording? The translation doesn’t fit exactly but it just sounds so right????), there’s no real reason why George can’t start to accompany his parents or grandfather to certain engagements. I am not saying he should hold a speech. But it might be a good idea to include him in a handful of engagements. Other RF do this and it’s not just fantastic PR but it will win him sympathies (people just root or at least are interested in someone they see grow up) and should help to acclimate.

in the space of 2 years she lost 2 babies … one after a termination due to contracting rubella(/German measles) and one a stillbirth. She went on the have mental health issues, somewhat unsurprisingly (and was supposedly within the family given the sobriquet ’Mad Kate‘. True or not, who knows. Believable? sadly).
Years ago there were rumours that the Duke used to beat her quite a lot I have no idea if its true but they seemed to be living separately for awhile. I think his Mother who was rather snooty wanted him to marry an European Princess, an English Aristocrat's girl wasn't good enough.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
Years ago there were rumours that the Duke used to beat her quite a lot I have no idea if its true but they seemed to be living separately for awhile. I think his Mother who was rather snooty wanted him to marry an European Princess, an English Aristocrat's girl wasn't good enough.
The Duke of Kent?! Well that’s me well & truly disillusioned! I always thought he was a total Saffy, which would have been understandable. I’ve always admired him actually, esp having to live in the shadow of his parents’ bad reputation, whilst being of a completely different temperement himself. But not such a ‘good boy’ after all! Who’d have thought?!

The Duke of Kent?! Well that’s me well & truly disillusioned! I always thought he was a total Saffy, which would have been understandable. I’ve always admired him actually, esp having to live in the shadow of his parents’ bad reputation, whilst being of a completely different temperement himself. But not such a ‘good boy’ after all! Who’d have thought?!
Like I say I don't know if the rumours were true but they were certainly circulating a lot in the late 1970's early 80's.

The Duke of Kent released an autobiography last year and they interviewed the Duchess at the end

She lives with him in their cottage at KP these days

I think they were separate for a bit in the 90’s/00’s but nothing official has ever came out.

Likewise Anne and Tim have been rumoured to have lived separately for periods in the 00’s although they seem happy together now

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.