The Royal Family #36

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Edward might have been doing DoE stuff for years, but quite honestly- he is not as good as a fit as Kate. And the point that Kate does better at sporty appointments has been made for almost a decade. It was clear from the beginning. If they had been strategising better, they would have capitalised on it. It was always clear that she needed a pet focus. Why not slowly introduce her more and more in the DoE scheme. An already established and well loved program? She would still have had time to concentrate on her children and starting to build up her presence a year before Philip officially retired. The idea of a side branch for younger children, keeping teens active and get more girls to participate would have fantastic. Especially as being active outside sometimes sound like her all round recipe for a good childhood.

I don’t see a problem with replacing Edward in general. That’s the downside of playing in the third row. Of course now, that he is the new DoE it’s a bad look. I wish Charles would have recreated another dukedom for him. Apart from sentimental reasons every other Dukedom would have been fine. What about Norfolk or Sommerset
There has beena Duke of Norfolk since 1425 and the current 18th Duke is involved in organising the coronation, so I really think he needs to hang on to his title 😂.
---
Said before, and I’ll say it again :cool: :D
I’d have like to see her do some sort of feeder award for the DoE scheme, say 10-14 years, with the aim of keeping young people involved in sport and activities and getting them over that age hump when the biggest drop off happens.
Somehow it sounds like too much like hard work tbh. I don't think she really wants anything that means real work just being a figurehead is more suitable.
---
Yes I think it’s a shame that the Duke of Edinburgh award wasn’t passed onto Kate for this reason
Would it then be renamed the Princess of Wales award?

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
There has beena Duke of Norfolk since 1425 and the current 18th Duke is involved in organising the coronation, so I really think he needs to hang on to his title 😂.
---

Somehow it sounds like too much like hard work tbh. I don't think she really wants anything that means real work just being a figurehead is more suitable.
---

Would it then be renamed the Princess of Wales award?
Surely the obvious answer is to have a junior version called the Princess of Wales award? Hard work to do it properly though. Taking D of E away from Edward would have been pretty unkind as he's been doing it for years.

Reactions: 8
Surely the obvious answer is to have a junior version called the Princess of Wales award? Hard work to do it properly though. Taking D of E away from Edward would have been pretty unkind as he's been doing it for years.
Or just a separate award of its own that keeps girls and poor kids in sports and activities. The DoE was always a pretty middle class thing to do, a lot of working class schools don’t even offer it and the cost for all the stuff you need excludes most kids.

Reactions: 6
I think that would be very unkind but a Princess of Wales award for Juniors sounds great!!

Reactions: 5
the DoE award is quite heavily crossovered with Guide/Scout 14-18 age bracket (whatever they are called these days :D ). The Duchess of Edinburgh is President of the Guides and the Patron was The Queen and I think is still vacant? I think Kate is a president of the Scouts? Tie it all togehter and make Kate patron of the Guides and have the Princess of Wales award geared towards the guide and scout age range of 10-14 which will feed them into the next age bracket for the DoE award. That way a lot of the framework Is already in place.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I think Sophie is the one involved with the Guides?

I remember when Kate went to some Scouts/Guides event years ago. She brought their dog and had zero interaction with the girls and sat by herself for most of it. It was very strange. I think this was before George was born. I remember the pictures and the snow. :ROFLMAO:

I think basically for Kate and William it is - find what they can engage with that requires a minimal amount of work and investment, show up, leave, bingo bango done. I know it is similar for other royals but the rest of them seem more interested, engaged, and knowledgeable for the most part.

Reactions: 9
I think Sophie is the one involved with the Guides?

I remember when Kate went to some Scouts/Guides event years ago. She brought their dog and had zero interaction with the girls and sat by herself for most of it. It was very strange. I think this was before George was born. I remember the pictures and the snow. :ROFLMAO:

I think basically for Kate and William it is - find what they can engage with that requires a minimal amount of work and investment, show up, leave, bingo bango done. I know it is similar for other royals but the rest of them seem more interested, engaged, and knowledgeable for the most part.
Yes, for the Guides Sophie is President … but the Patron slot is still vacant, it hasn’t been filled after the death of the Queen.

Reactions: 2
the DoE award is quite heavily crossovered with Guide/Scout 14-18 age bracket (whatever they are called these days :D ). The Duchess of Edinburgh is President of the Guides and the Patron was The Queen and I think is still vacant? I think Kate is a president of the Scouts? Tie it all togehter and make Kate patron of the Guides and have the Princess of Wales award geared towards the guide and scout age range of 10-14 which will feed them into the next age bracket for the DoE award. That way a lot of the framework Is already in place.
hmm a good idea but too much like hard work for Kate I think.

I think Guides are ages 10-14
And then Senior Section is 14+
(brownies and rainbows for the younger girls)

This is what it says about the age groups for Scouts
  • Beaver Scouts (6-8 year olds)
  • Cub Scouts (8-10 year olds)
  • Scouts (10-14 year olds)
  • Explorer Scouts (14-18 year olds)
  • Scout Network (18-25 year olds)

Reactions: 1
hmm a good idea but too much like hard work for Kate I think.
I think this is the answer - I've no doubt that there are some smart people who work for the palace and have put ideas like that to her.

This is the same woman who only got a job because the queen questioned William on it when they were dating and even then only lasted 6 months.

Reactions: 12
I dont think Kate wants to do anything that means hard work.
Because Edwards long term future was to become the Duke of Edinburgh, that's why he was involved heavily in the scheme with his father.
It would be great to see Kate doing some kind of feeder work but I do get the impression that she's happy to turn up in a fancy frock, flap her hands around, smile, spit out a few words then leave. I dont think she wants deep involvement.

Reactions: 13
Looking at the pictures and videos from Kate’s yesterday event with the big companies, she looks so unnatural and forced. After all these years in the public lenses, she cannot master it. You can see the lack of passion and charisma, the impostor syndrome, the insecurities from far far away. She can’t say one word without a paper or touching her hair like a newbie at her first speech. It’s unbelievable how with her resources, consultants and budget she is still so uneducated and low level.

Personally I think where Kate excels is the meeting people part of royalty. The everyday engagements to hospitals etc, the sporty engagements where she can get stuck in, talking to the crowds in walkabouts etc, when you see videos people take of her at those she's much more natural when she's just chatting to other people. The ironic thing is that would actually be OK, the royals still need that. They need to seen to be believed as the Queen said and they need to be out there meeting and talking to normal people. As we've discussed before, it's those meet and greets that keep them going when ten plus years later people still remember the time they met a royal. If she doesn't excel in the more formal situations and is out of her depth, why put her in them. She isn't the heir, she isn't going to be the head of state, supporting charities with visits and maybe a few initiatives and fundraising drives could still work well. But for some reason, they seem determined that she should be leading these roundtables and trying to change the world when I would argue it's just not neccesary.

Edited to add I'm not saying she should do nothing, rather that the meeting crowds, supporting key charities, even launching a few fundraising events or projects like Hold Still, that's where her focus could be. She doesn't need to be "driving national conversation" and changing society, we have people for that already.

Hold Still and the drive she did for Baby Banks in lockdown are her best projects and they may not be these big girl boss in the city events but they do have value and impact and are where she is most comfortable and skilled.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14
@travelbug20 I agree. That’s why all the ideas here for an outdoor sporty scheme make so much more sense. It might be a smaller scale than Early Years. But I would argue it would have a quicker, more direct and lasting effect.
The Early Year idea isn’t bad at all. But she is painfully out of her depth and can’t bring the results people expect. That’s partly due to their bad PR (they need to stop selling ever little thing like an advisor group as ground breaking sensations ASAP) and execution and partly due to the enormous task and how ungrateful it is. There is never enough effort and resources put into taking care of people (be it children or old caring for the old ones). I don’t see a change of heart in the government in the next 50 years. When have they ever snubbed industry to invest in humans?

Reactions: 4
Personally I think where Kate excels is the meeting people part of royalty. The everyday engagements to hospitals etc, the sporty engagements where she can get stuck in, talking to the crowds in walkabouts etc, when you see videos people take of her at those she's much more natural when she's just chatting to other people. The ironic thing is that would actually be OK, the royals still need that. They need to seen to be believed as the Queen said and they need to be out there meeting and talking to normal people. As we've discussed before, it's those meet and greets that keep them going when ten plus years later people still remember the time they met a royal. If she doesn't excel in the more formal situations and is out of her depth, why put her in them. She isn't the heir, she isn't going to be the head of state, supporting charities with visits and maybe a few initiatives and fundraising drives could still work well. But for some reason, they seem determined that she should be leading these roundtables and trying to change the world when I would argue it's just not neccesary.

Edited to add I'm not saying she should do nothing, rather that the meeting crowds, supporting key charities, even launching a few fundraising events or projects like Hold Still, that's where her focus could be. She doesn't need to be "driving national conversation" and changing society, we have people for that already.

Hold Still and the drive she did for Baby Banks in lockdown are her best projects and they may not be these big girl boss in the city events but they do have value and impact and are where she is most comfortable and skilled.
I agree. I think she wants to play a supporting role to William rather than be front and centre herself so why not just let her go around looking nice and being nice to people. As you said, she is actually good at that and people seem to enjoy meeting her. When she dresses up in a trouser suit and carries a folder with her, she just looks like she's playing at being a CEO or something. It's not her so why force it?

Last edited:
I agree. I think she wants to play a supporting role to William rather than be front and centre herself so why not just let her go around looking nice and being nice to people. As you said, she is actually good at that and people seem to enjoy meeting her. When she dresses up in a trouser suit and carries a folder with her, she just looks like she's playing at being a CEO or something. It's not her so why force it?
It’s Apprentice candidate cosplay.

• Haha
I think Guides are ages 10-14
And then Senior Section is 14+
(brownies and rainbows for the younger girls)

This is what it says about the age groups for Scouts
  • Beaver Scouts (6-8 year olds)
  • Cub Scouts (8-10 year olds)
  • Scouts (10-14 year olds)
  • Explorer Scouts (14-18 year olds)
  • Scout Network (18-25 year olds)
Rainbows unit leader here 🙋🏻‍♀️ for clarification;

Rainbows are 4 - 7 years
Brownies are 7 - 10 years
Guides are 10 - 14 years
Rangers are 14+ years

Sophie is the president of Girlguiding and no new patron has been confirmed yet. Expect that it will be Sophie in all honesty and doubt anyone would be unhappy about it! Kate has always done more work and supported with Scouting so can't see a change there.

Reactions: 9

I presume this won't come to anything but Spare really is the gift that keeps on giving. It was such an own goal for Harry. I wonder if he regrets it yet.
Imagine if it does and he’s kicked out the USA just after he was kicked out of Frogmore😂

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.