The Royal Family #35

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
To be honest, I don't get the whole "she waited 10 years". She was 29 years old when they got married. It's not unconventional for people meeting young to only marry 7-10 years later. I think it makes sense for some people to not rush into marriage in their twenties. It's a very transformative decade. Kate and William's relationship got its up and downs when they got engaged. At least they were sure they could handle issues and make it work, they probably already knew the worse of each other. It was not the most stupid choice when your know that your relationship will be under the spotlights for the next decades. Having already lived challenges, Kate and William were more protected of the pressure of the medias post-marriage.

Maybe it doesn't look very romantic, but it looks like a more successful marriage than William's father, uncle and aunt. I think I prefer a more realistic approach to love and marriage than the version offered by Meghan and Harry. I don't believe in the idea of seeing a life's partner like a semi-god that can never be wrong. To me, love is seeing the other as they are and to love them anyway. It's also about being a team that can face challenges. Harry couldn't help his suicidal wife, Meghan let Harry publishing a book where he talks about his penis and his mother in the same paragraph.. They can talk all they want about their fairy tale with rosy sunsets, but I don't find them aspirationnal.

As to the real state of Kate and William's marriage, who knows? But they are good at keeping it private and people can only speculate. It also protects their children.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
On another topic. Just seen all the brouhaha planned for the Coronation. Yes, I know London and Windsor are the centre of the ceremonial universe, but as a northerner, in spite of the sadness about the loss of the Queen, it was truly a privilege to be able to travel easily to Edinburgh, pay respects, see some of the pomp that’s usually for London only. I see that we in the provinces will get a light show projected on buildings.
Harry & Meghan’s wedding, the DofE’s funeral and later memorial, the Platty Joobs (days and days of London spectacle), the laying to rest of HRH QE2 were all marked by tons of ceremony (costing loads) and viewed by hundreds of thousands in person. We’re always being told that almost a quarter of the UK population live in London and the South East. Fair enough. But when will the other 75% get their fair share of the hundreds of thousands of pounds spent on celebrations. Or something in lieu, culture-wise. I don’t resent the southerners the royal largesse but it all seems a bit unbalanced to me.
To be fair...I dont think you can say that it was the south/london that got the ceremony!
Things like the Funeral and the Platty joobs stuff, are/ were all centralised over a tiny area of London. Then televised to the rest of the country. So it wasnt really royal largesse, when most people in the south or south east, also ended up seeing everything on TV.

Yes maybe it would have been slightly easier for those from the south to get to the tiny part of london where the ceremonies took place, but looking at the televised coverage, there seemed to be loads of people interviewed in the crowd, who had travelled in from all areas of the UK.

Reactions: 2
I can’t believe the taxpayers are spending millions upon millions for one persons coronation. When he’s extremely rich himself and got a nice inheritance without paying any tax. It’s disgraceful. And any benefit with be to London/South East which is already quite wealthy. Nothing will trickle down to the South West, Northern England, Wales, Scotland or Ireland.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
To be honest, I don't get the whole "she waited 10 years". She was 29 years old when they got married. It's not unconventional for people meeting young to only marry 7-10 years later. I think it makes sense for some people to not rush into marriage in their twenties. It's a very transformative decade. Kate and William's relationship got its up and downs when they got engaged. At least they were sure they could handle issues and make it work, they probably already knew the worse of each other. It was not the most stupid choice when your know that your relationship will be under the spotlights for the next decades. Having already lived challenges, Kate and William were more protected of the pressure of the medias post-marriage.

Maybe it doesn't look very romantic, but it looks like a more successful marriage than William's father, uncle and aunt. I think I prefer a more realistic approach to love and marriage than the version offered by Meghan and Harry. I don't believe in the idea of seeing a life's partner like a semi-god that can never be wrong. To me, love is seeing the other as they are and to love them anyway. It's also about being a team that can face challenges. Harry couldn't help his suicidal wife, Meghan let Harry publishing a book where he talks about his penis and his mother in the same paragraph.. They can talk all they want about their fairy tale with rosy sunsets, but I don't find them aspirationnal.

As to the real state of Kate and William's marriage, who knows? But they are good at keeping it private and people can only speculate. It also protects their children.
I don’t think it’s the long courtship so much as the fact she didn’t seem to do anything else … to the extent that, apparently, allegedly, whatever, The Queen had to step in and say it wasn’t a good look and could she try doing a job of some description in the meantime, please.

Reactions: 5
I don’t think it’s the long courtship so much as the fact she didn’t seem to do anything else … to the extent that, apparently, allegedly, whatever, The Queen had to step in and say it wasn’t a good look and could she try doing a job of some description in the meantime, please.
God I would be devastated if that was me.

• Haha
Reactions: 7

I don't think 10 years is long at all (I've been with my partner 7 and we have no plans to marry any time soon) especially when they got together at what 18,19? More so that by taking their time with their relationship it also had plenty of other benefits for them in terms of her getting to know what the role would be like.

I totally agree that I much prefer the Will and Kate love to the Meghan and Harry love. Life isn't a fairytale, even if you do marry a Prince and to be fair to W&K, they've never tried to suggest it is.

Im one of those who is scratching my head at the idea of volunteering!!!What am I meant to be volunteering for? I am willing to spend time doing something, but what?

Will it be like volunteering at a food bank? If so where is all the food going to come from to be distributed out on that day?
Will it be volunteering to run a big party locally for the coronation for the local children and old people? No...a big community meal seems to be for the Sunday?
Will it be volunteering to plant loads of trees? Doubtful, as they tried that last year, planted loads of tiny saplings in the hottest summer for generations, and almost all the new trees died because of weather conditions!

Any kind of effective volunteering needs loads of work beforehand, to set things up, to organise things, to find funds for things.... There are basically 3 months to go to organise. Thats not long!
Yes I hope they're going to come out with more guidance on this, as you say it's somewhat vague to just be like "please do some volunteering". It would be great if they were able to collate a list of "coronation charity partners" perhaps who register their interest in having extra volunteers on the Monday, then anyone who wants to can go on, find one near them that they like the look of and register to attend. Then the charity can asign them tasks etc and hopefully at least some of the people who turn up will decide to keep going back to help out.

Reactions: 6
Yes I hope they're going to come out with more guidance on this, as you say it's somewhat vague to just be like "please do some volunteering". It would be great if they were able to collate a list of "coronation charity partners" perhaps who register their interest in having extra volunteers on the Monday, then anyone who wants to can go on, find one near them that they like the look of and register to attend. Then the charity can asign them tasks etc and hopefully at least some of the people who turn up will decide to keep going back to help out.
I think in some ways vague is best - it avoids them assigning work to charities that they may not have the budget set aside for. Arranging a specific fundraising/volunteer event day is a big whack of marketing budget and staffing for planning and managing the event.
In an ideal world part of the budget for the coronation would be funneled to organisations for additional staffing and marketing associated, but I'm not sure I trust that we live in that world.

If it's kept somewhat vague, those inclined to take the free day off for the recommended volunteer work will likely do research into local organisations themselves, those organisations with the budget to spare will get marketing/staffing, those inclined to take the bank holiday as just a day off will do so, and the royal family get to state they pushed for community improvement rather than just pomp and ceremony.
From both a PR and an organisational point of view, their best bet would be to arrange for the royals to all spread out and get stuck in for a day of volunteering (or half days spread across organisations) and publicise where they'll be volunteering. That would no doubt push a lot of people to apply to volunteer alongside them, some of whom might return.

Reactions: 3
Im one of those who is scratching my head at the idea of volunteering!!!What am I meant to be volunteering for? I am willing to spend time doing something, but what?

Will it be like volunteering at a food bank? If so where is all the food going to come from to be distributed out on that day?
Will it be volunteering to run a big party locally for the coronation for the local children and old people? No...a big community meal seems to be for the Sunday?
Will it be volunteering to plant loads of trees? Doubtful, as they tried that last year, planted loads of tiny saplings in the hottest summer for generations, and almost all the new trees died because of weather conditions!

Any kind of effective volunteering needs loads of work beforehand, to set things up, to organise things, to find funds for things.... There are basically 3 months to go to organise. Thats not long!
No it doesn't. Go out and pick up litter. Invite a lonely person round for dinner. Volunteering or doing a good deed doesn't need to be a grand gesture.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
No it doesn't. Go out and pick up litter. Invite a lonely person round for dinner. Volunteering or doing a good deed doesn't need to be a grand gesture.
Encouraging things like this is a great idea imo. Just do something kind for someone else.

Regarding the coronation here in the US, we spend more every four years on our inauguration of the President. A once in a lifetime event seems worth it.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I think the coronation has come at a tricky time. Obviously there's the current cost of living crisis but we just had the jubilee weekend last year which was dubbed a "once in a lifetime" platinum jubilee, then of course the Queens funeral. Obviously a coronation is going to come after a funeral but the addition of the jubilee last year probably doesn't help when it comes to spending. That being said, nowhere does it quite like the Brits and I do think it would be a shame to lose all the pageantry and procession, the eyes of the world will be on us and I do recall the stats of tourism off the back of the jubilee were pretty impressive, even just for hotel bookings etc over that weekend, not to mention the knock on effect. The reality is, a coronation is going to cost money and no matter when it is, there will always unfortunately be people who are struggling financially.

Reactions: 9
Kate reminds me of the late Queen Mother. Very smiley, inoffensive, sticks to her lane, doesn’t ruffle the feathers of the grey suits, so is easy to manage. She knew what she was taking on and has blended in so well with the family, unlike Fergie, Diana and Meghan. She knows her place in public but the backbone to William like the QM was to Albert. It was said about the QM that this seemingly charming lady ruled with a velvet gloved iron fist. This is how I see Kate.
I agree and I believe we had a glimpse of this on the walkabout outside Windsor Castle with the other two. She had just been made PoW and she looked confident and formidable.

She's no Stepford wife. IMHO.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Kate might not have ever worked if it wasn't for William and the need to keep up appearances. Pippa never had a job outside the family business did she?

I definitely don't think they waited too long to get married. Anyone I know that met someone early in life didn't get married until late 20s or early 30s either. I doubt many of William and Kate's peers got married in their early or mid 20s. That part of their relationship seems totally normal to me.

Reactions: 9

Kate might not have ever worked if it wasn't for William and the need to keep up appearances. Pippa never had a job outside the family business did she?

I definitely don't think they waited too long to get married. Anyone I know that met someone early in life didn't get married until late 20s or early 30s either. I doubt many of William and Kate's peers got married in their early or mid 20s. That part of their relationship seems totally normal to me.
+ every single person I know who got married in their early or mid 20s is either divorced or experiencing marriage woes now in their 30s. I'll never understand how people can look at the divorce rates today and not commend W&C for taking their time like sensible people should. Then again I wonder how many people criticising "waity" are themselves divorced or stuck in crappy marriages while throwing stones from inside their glasshouse.

• Haha
Reactions: 19

As we know, the RF are ruled by PR and optics.

It doesn’t matter if someone outwith the remit of the RF works, doesn’t work, spends half the year on holiday … I’m sure there are many in that position … but the job of Palace advisors is to read public opinion and attempt to set or change it accordingly. If it needs The Queen to step in and say, this doesn’t look good … then if then anyone with aspirations to stay part of that circle finds themselves the owner of a Jigsaw lanyard double quick.

As I said, it wasn’t the length of the waiting. It was the what she was … or wasn‘t … doing during it and how that was being perceived.

Reactions: 2
I can’t believe the taxpayers are spending millions upon millions for one persons coronation. When he’s extremely rich himself and got a nice inheritance without paying any tax. It’s disgraceful. And any benefit with be to London/South East which is already quite wealthy. Nothing will trickle down to the South West, Northern England, Wales, Scotland or Ireland.
Wrong, coronation souvenirs and food for street parties will be sold across the whole country. The coronation itself is only taking place in Westminster like the concert but there are also lots of events for volunteering across the country on the Monday Bank Holiday

• Sick
As we know, the RF are ruled by PR and optics.

It doesn’t matter if someone outwith the remit of the RF works, doesn’t work, spends half the year on holiday … I’m sure there are many in that position … but the job of Palace advisors is to read public opinion and attempt to set or change it accordingly. If it needs The Queen to step in and say, this doesn’t look good … then if then anyone with aspirations to stay part of that circle finds themselves the owner of a Jigsaw lanyard double quick.

As I said, it wasn’t the length of the waiting. It was the what she was … or wasn‘t … doing during it and how that was being perceived.
Irregardless of if she should have worked more, her aspirations to be Queen must have been high cause I’d have to hold my tongue pretty damn tight if my boyfriends nan was telling me something doesn’t look good when I looked at her family’s past. You daughter in law was caught having her toes sucked, the country thought you killed off another daughter in law so your son can marry his mistress and your other son is on a pedophiles private island. I’d think I’m gonna have an extra drink at my rich kids party tonight curtesy of my parents just for you Liz.

Pippa has the near perfect life, doesn’t have to work and just gets to spend her rich husbands family money, only problem is the husband isn’t a looker but you can’t have everything.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
I often wonder if Kate envies her sister. She has the rich husband, fabulous homes, she can decorate any way she likes, do and wear what she likes and she's free as a bird.
Kate is living in a gilded cage with intense scrutiny every time she steps out the door. She and her kids might have titles but they don't have a life that's envied by many. It's one huge game by the sounds of things. Who could be bothered by that? Its duller than ditch water.
I often wonder if she wishes she hadn't bothered being waity Kate and had gone after sone other hooray Henry instead.
Without Kate doing her thing and Pippa getting the spotlight at her wedding I don't think Pippa bags a multimillionaire. She was with the ex cricketer investment banker when Kate got married and that's probably the level they Kate would have got if she didn't marry William. So, rich but not rich enough that the OH doesn't have to work

Irregardless of if she should have worked more, her aspirations to be Queen must have been high cause I’d have to hold my tongue pretty damn tight if my boyfriends nan was telling me something doesn’t look good when I looked at her family’s past. You daughter in law was caught having her toes sucked, the country thought you killed off another daughter in law so your son can marry his mistress and your other son is on a pedophiles private island. I’d think I’m gonna have an extra drink at my rich kids party tonight curtesy of my parents just for you Liz.

Pippa has the near perfect life, doesn’t have to work and just gets to spend her rich husbands family money, only problem is the husband isn’t a looker but you can’t have everything.
'What was it that attracted you to billionaire James Matthews?'

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Wrong, coronation souvenirs and food for street parties will be sold across the whole country. The coronation itself is only taking place in Westminster like the concert but there are also lots of events for volunteering across the country on the Monday Bank Holiday
Which will definitely make up for the hundreds of millions being spent 😒

I actually think it’s the norm for people meeting young at university to NOT marry before their thirties. In my experience young people are encouraged to wait. So we have lots of long term couples, living together, but not necessarily married. H&M going quicker isn’t surprising as well. Both wanted to jump into parenthood and that’s still a big reason for marriage even if you don’t think you need to be marrying to have a life long relationship. They were pretty quick though if you look at their specific circumstances. Living together is a completely different ballgame than jetting over the pond every two weeks. Moving to your spouses country. Into a hyper public and dysfunctional family….. there are many reasons another year living together would have probably been a good idea.

'What was it that attracted you to billionaire James Matthews?'
My guess „his kindness“

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.