The Royal Family #35

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
As someone who lives in Scotland, I 100% get that. But Charles is also King in 14 commonwealth countries around the world
Absolutely get that, too, though I wasn’t thinking of it at the time. I’m a bit sorry for Wales. He was PoW for decades. His There was an amazing, loyal, patriotic thing going on in Scotland with the Queen. I know she loved it, and broadly the Scots loved her. But it felt like a real ‘coming together’ which I feel is what is needed just now. I like the idea of encouraging national volunteering, if it can be made meaningful.

Reactions: 4
Lots of talk about Kate manipulating the system, the media and P William to get her Prince. But how about she loved him and wanted to be with him, that’s why she was prepared to wait
Love only gets you so far. If your boyfriend keeps dropping you during your courtship to run after other women, only coming back when they reject him, his friends take the piss out of you and your parents, he doesn't marry you despite you doing nothing for 10 years but run after him and do what he wants, added to that the media pressure and having to put up with all the nonsense and snobbery that comes with being in the RF, any mother would have, for a start told her she was better than that and that she should find someone who respects her, not invite her ex boyfriend round to stay!

Reactions: 16
I recall reading Charles plans on having a sort of national tour with events and such to other places in the UK which is a very good move if you ask me sort of like what was done after HMTQ's death.
KC3 & the Royal Progress 2023 - coming to a venue near you soon.

Reactions: 3
Love only gets you so far. If your boyfriend keeps dropping you during your courtship to run after other women, only coming back when they reject him, his friends take the piss out of you and your parents, he doesn't marry you despite you doing nothing for 10 years but run after him and do what he wants, added to that the media pressure and having to put up with all the nonsense and snobbery that comes with being in the RF, any mother would have, for a start told her she was better than that and that she should find someone who respects her, not invite her ex boyfriend round to stay!
I‘m sure there is love and/or feeling involved, but I look at it more as a more pragmatic, typical aristocratic match. I know Kate and Philippa were disparagingly known as the wisteria sisters, but we know just how snobby this lot are if you can’t trace your family tree back to the quiver carrier for Henry V or something equally ridiculous. I’m sure I read somewhere that her paternal Grandad had served for been on tour with Prince Philip so the family weren’t unknowns … I think they had been tickling round the lower edges of the aristocracy on her dads side for long enough, so it was probably only her mum who was seen as parvenu.

Lets be honest, we don’t know even a quarter of what goes on … the whole family managed to have a holiday in Jordan the other year and no one was any the wiser until a photo appeared on their Christmas card. The circle they move is in extremely closed with no one likely to spill the beans and Kate certainly is never going to do a Diana.

Reactions: 16
I‘m sure there is love and/or feeling involved, but I look at it more as a more pragmatic, typical aristocratic match. I know Kate and Philippa were disparagingly known as the wisteria sisters, but we know just how snobby this lot are if you can’t trace your family tree back to the quiver carrier for Henry V or something equally ridiculous. I’m sure I read somewhere that her paternal Grandad had served for been on tour with Prince Philip so the family weren’t unknowns … I think they had been tickling round the lower edges of the aristocracy on her dads side for long enough, so it was probably only her mum who was seen as parvenu.

Lets be honest, we don’t know even a quarter of what goes on … the whole family managed to have a holiday in Jordan the other year and no one was any the wiser until a photo appeared on their Christmas card. The circle they move is in extremely closed with no one likely to spill the beans and Kate certainly is never going to do a Diana.
And, for all that I don’t know how I feel about a monarchy, I do kind of admire her determination. She wanted him and this life and she got it. Makes me much frustrated with her that she doesn’t appear to do anything worthwhile with it. But if the prize was the title and the marriage, why do anything beyond the minimum. It’s understandable if sad (to me) that she has a chance to do so much and does so little.

Reactions: 7
If she wanted to do more she is in danger of outperforming William. KC3 doesn't want to much competition from his heir and wife.

She sticks to the rules and keeps her head down. She knows how her bread is buttered. Canny and steely Kate.

Reactions: 5
If she wanted to do more she is in danger of outperforming William. KC3 doesn't want to much competition from his heir and wife.

She sticks to the rules and keeps her head down. She knows how her bread is buttered. Canny and steely Kate.
Neither she or William want to do more. They are both inherently lazy and have shown time and time again they are. It has little to do with Charles, and all to do with William not wanting to work, and Kate not wanting to work. Kate never held a job in her life, why would she start now!

Neither she or William want to do more. They are both inherently lazy and have shown time and time again they are. It has little to do with Charles, and all to do with William not wanting to work, and Kate not wanting to work. Kate never held a job in her life, why would she start now!
Yes. I prefer this to the idea of KC3 holding them back.
I think I’ve been reading too much of PH’s book.

Kate reminds me of the late Queen Mother. Very smiley, inoffensive, sticks to her lane, doesn’t ruffle the feathers of the grey suits, so is easy to manage. She knew what she was taking on and has blended in so well with the family, unlike Fergie, Diana and Meghan. She knows her place in public but the backbone to William like the QM was to Albert. It was said about the QM that this seemingly charming lady ruled with a velvet gloved iron fist. This is how I see Kate.

Reactions: 17
Kate reminds me of the late Queen Mother. Very smiley, inoffensive, sticks to her lane, doesn’t ruffle the feathers of the grey suits, so is easy to manage. She knew what she was taking on and has blended in so well with the family, unlike Fergie, Diana and Meghan. She knows her place in public but the backbone to William like the QM was to Albert. It was said about the QM that this seemingly charming lady ruled with a velvet gloved iron fist. This is how I see Kate.
Pretty much how I see her as well. I've heard it said that although the Queen Mother didn't like to ruffle feathers she was quite influential and had some clout behind closed doors.

Reactions: 8
I often wonder if Kate envies her sister. She has the rich husband, fabulous homes, she can decorate any way she likes, do and wear what she likes and she's free as a bird.
Kate is living in a gilded cage with intense scrutiny every time she steps out the door. She and her kids might have titles but they don't have a life that's envied by many. It's one huge game by the sounds of things. Who could be bothered by that? Its duller than ditch water.
I often wonder if she wishes she hadn't bothered being waity Kate and had gone after sone other hooray Henry instead.

Reactions: 7
If we are looking at the RF as a business, both of them were given parametars. They are doing as much as they are allowed in public, especially now when Chuck and Camila are still establishing himself.

I think they might have moved the concert to Windsor rather than outside BP to avoid the awful staging that totally blocked the view of the balcony at the jubilee. I know a couple of people who went down to London and they said it was almost pointless them going out to the balcony after Trooping the Colour because you couldn't see them through the staging and instead there were big screens up to watch them wave...kinda ruined the whole point.

Re the poster who shared a tweet about the volunteering, personally I think it's a nice idea. Nobody is being forced to give up a day and work but we always need more volunteers and if it encourages just a few people to start giving back to the community it can only be a good thing.

I often wonder if Kate envies her sister. She has the rich husband, fabulous homes, she can decorate any way she likes, do and wear what she likes and she's free as a bird.
Kate is living in a gilded cage with intense scrutiny every time she steps out the door. She and her kids might have titles but they don't have a life that's envied by many. It's one huge game by the sounds of things. Who could be bothered by that? Its duller than ditch water.
I often wonder if she wishes she hadn't bothered being waity Kate and had gone after sone other hooray Henry instead.
Oh Pippa definitely has the better life out of the two (or so it would seem to us, of course nobody knows what goes on behind closed doors) but Kate did have 10 years to decide if it was for her. She obviously decided that it is. Whether that's because she really does love William and was happy to make the sacrifice or because she liked what she saw and wanted the title and crown, who knows? Either way, they did the right thing in waiting as long as they did for many reasons.

Not only did it give her enough time to work out what being a royal would actually be like, it also gave the public and press enough time to get used to her and grow to like her etc. I think that was a major downfall of Harry and Meghan, everything was so rushed, most people didn't really know who Meghan was and now here she was all of a sudden married to "the peoples prince" and hobnobbing it on the BP balcony.

Reactions: 10
I like the idea of encouraging volunteering, but I will be peeved if they don't lead the way.
To me, encouraging volunteer work as part of the celebrations should be taken as encouragement to give back to your local community, and for those of us fortunate enough to have the time and resources to do so to help those who don't. Given the royals have more time and resources than the rest of us, I want to see them all out and active.

Personally, no … don’t see that really. The Queen Mum was always in more of a position of power … it took 4 proposals before she agreed to marry and entering the RF was on her terms. She was an iron fist in an iron glove, particularly when it came to Edward.

Reactions: 8
I like the idea of encouraging volunteering, but I will be peeved if they don't lead the way.
To me, encouraging volunteer work as part of the celebrations should be taken as encouragement to give back to your local community, and for those of us fortunate enough to have the time and resources to do so to help those who don't. Given the royals have more time and resources than the rest of us, I want to see them all out and active.
Yes I hope we'll see them out on the Monday doing actual volunteering not just visits...I think we probably will as they will know they have to set the example so to speak. Some of the comments online about it are of the "I can't pay my bills so I'm not helping anyone else" ilk which misses the whole point. Those who CAN help, who do have the time, resources and ability to SHOULD.

Personally, no … don’t see that really. The Queen Mum was always in more of a position of power … it took 4 proposals before she agreed to marry and entering the RF was on her terms. She was an iron fist in an iron glove, particularly when it came to Edward.
There is a story that she fancied Edward but that he wasn't interested in her and was jealous of Wallis for the rest of her life. She decided to make the best of the things and marry his younger brother.

Parvenu : perfect word to describe Carol 😁

But she married the spare originally. Kate knew from the off she was marrying the heir, so I’d say in a stronger position from the start.

Yes I hope we'll see them out on the Monday doing actual volunteering not just visits...I think we probably will as they will know they have to set the example so to speak. Some of the comments online about it are of the "I can't pay my bills so I'm not helping anyone else" ilk which misses the whole point. Those who CAN help, who do have the time, resources and ability to SHOULD.
Im one of those who is scratching my head at the idea of volunteering!!!What am I meant to be volunteering for? I am willing to spend time doing something, but what?

Will it be like volunteering at a food bank? If so where is all the food going to come from to be distributed out on that day?
Will it be volunteering to run a big party locally for the coronation for the local children and old people? No...a big community meal seems to be for the Sunday?
Will it be volunteering to plant loads of trees? Doubtful, as they tried that last year, planted loads of tiny saplings in the hottest summer for generations, and almost all the new trees died because of weather conditions!

Any kind of effective volunteering needs loads of work beforehand, to set things up, to organise things, to find funds for things.... There are basically 3 months to go to organise. Thats not long!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.