The Royal Family #35

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Which will definitely make up for the hundreds of millions being spent 😒
Trump's inauguration cost $200 million, this happens every 4 years!
The Queen's coronation cost the equivalent of £47 million in today's money. Even if Charles' coronation costs double that, it's still cheaper than US inaugurations.

Reactions: 12
Trump's inauguration cost $200 million, this happens every 4 years!
The Queen's coronation cost the equivalent of £47 million in today's money. Even if Charles' coronation costs double that, it's still cheaper than US inaugurations.
The cost of the American inauguration, whilst ridiculous, doesn’t bother me as a British taxpayer. There are inaugurations of other President’s in Europe that doesn’t cost ridiculous amounts, not everything has to be compared to America.
If this coronation is so important to the King, why doesn’t he contribute to it? After all the years of tax dodging etc he’s a wealthy man, probably one of the wealthiest in the country.

Reactions: 12
Im one of those who is scratching my head at the idea of volunteering!!!What am I meant to be volunteering for? I am willing to spend time doing something, but what?

Will it be like volunteering at a food bank? If so where is all the food going to come from to be distributed out on that day?
Will it be volunteering to run a big party locally for the coronation for the local children and old people? No...a big community meal seems to be for the Sunday?
Will it be volunteering to plant loads of trees? Doubtful, as they tried that last year, planted loads of tiny saplings in the hottest summer for generations, and almost all the new trees died because of weather conditions!

Any kind of effective volunteering needs loads of work beforehand, to set things up, to organise things, to find funds for things.... There are basically 3 months to go to organise. Thats not long!
This charities will not take on volunteers for a day. It’s an ego initiative, There needs to be training , background checks, insurance etc. I once wrote a reference for someone to volunteer in a hospice shop. Took 6 months to sort it out and train them them. I asked to voluntee for CAB was told no as I would need a risk assessment- it was up a flight of stairs and I am disabled, affect insurance etc. this idea could negatively affect charities because if they turn people down they won’t donate or volunteer (properly) in the future because they will see it as they are not needed.

Reactions: 5
This charities will not take on volunteers for a day. It’s an ego initiative, There needs to be training , background checks, insurance etc. I once wrote a reference for someone to volunteer in a hospice shop. Took 6 months to sort it out and train them them. I asked to voluntee for CAB was told no as I would need a risk assessment- it was up a flight of stairs and I am disabled, affect insurance etc. this idea could negatively affect charities because if they turn people down they won’t donate or volunteer (properly) in the future because they will see it as they are not needed.
There's lots of things that could be done in a day. Someone else mentioned litter picking or communities might come together to plant up an empty space or run kids activities or classes or something. I don't think established charities are going to be too keen on having people for one day but community initiatives might work. How many people are actually going to do it anyway? Most people are just going to enjoy the extra bank holiday and that's fair enough too.

Reactions: 10
There's lots of things that could be done in a day. Someone else mentioned litter picking or communities might come together to plant up an empty space or run kids activities or classes or something. I don't think established charities are going to be too keen on having people for one day but community initiatives might work. How many people are actually going to do it anyway? Most people are just going to enjoy the extra bank holiday and that's fair enough too.
I apparently am hosting the Aged Relatives who have already put in an order for Croft Original sherry and gin.
i’ll need the rest of the bank holiday to recover.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Pippa didn't necessarily marry into the nicest family.

I'm sure I remember reading rumours that James and his father had been violent to women at Eden Rock, the resort they own, but I can't find anything online any more.
Looks like there have been two reports of rape against David, different women, one was french, a minor, 15, cant find what happened in that case. The older British woman's case was dropped because the police 'can't prosecute'. I cant find anything about James at the mo though.

'He [David] was arrested 14 months ago [2018] in Paris and is still under investigation for allegedly grooming and assaulting a 15-year-old on a French Caribbean island in 1998 and raping her in Paris a year later.'

• Wow
  • Sick
I don’t think it’s the long courtship so much as the fact she didn’t seem to do anything else … to the extent that, apparently, allegedly, whatever, The Queen had to step in and say it wasn’t a good look and could she try doing a job of some description in the meantime, please.
I don't think there is any evidence the queen did step in, I think it was likely the media creating the narrative that got the most attention/clicks. Kate worked at Jigsaw and later, after the split and massive bother with the paparazzi she worked for the family business as it gave her more privacy.

Did you guys see that The Mirror deliberately misquoted Harry’s flying instructor? Of course, the true story won’t travel nearly as far as the first story did 🙄
They should get in trouble for this sort of thing, but they never do. I feel really bad for the flying instructor, it sounds like the whole press experience really shook him.

• Sad
Reactions: 13
I can’t believe the taxpayers are spending millions upon millions for one persons coronation. When he’s extremely rich himself and got a nice inheritance without paying any tax. It’s disgraceful. And any benefit with be to London/South East which is already quite wealthy. Nothing will trickle down to the South West, Northern England, Wales, Scotland or Ireland.
Especially as he’s likely to not be reigning long (he’ll be lucky to get 10 years looking at the state of him sometimes) and we’ll be paying for another one (and the funeral) before we know it.

The cost of the American inauguration, whilst ridiculous, doesn’t bother me as a British taxpayer. There are inaugurations of other President’s in Europe that doesn’t cost ridiculous amounts, not everything has to be compared to America.
If this coronation is so important to the King, why doesn’t he contribute to it? After all the years of tax dodging etc he’s a wealthy man, probably one of the wealthiest in the country.
America has a bigger population though so maybe they can afford more.

Reactions: 4
Did you guys see that The Mirror deliberately misquoted Harry’s flying instructor? Of course, the true story won’t travel nearly as far as the first story did 🙄
They should get in trouble for this sort of thing, but they never do. I feel really bad for the flying instructor, it sounds like the whole press experience really shook him.
I think the headline was inaccurate (or dramatised for effect!) but the actual article was pretty much exactly what he said wasn't it? It definitely mentioned the ghostwriter and how Harry was one of his top students. He's pretty clear that the flying lessons would not have happened as described in the book but he blames the ghostwriter rather than Harry - not a viewpoint I share. It's Harry's name on the book. He's the one who's responsible for making sure the contents are true in my opinion.
I think it's funny that Harry has used tabloid tactics in his book - a lot of his stories are also exaggerated or 'dramatised for effect.' Spare is like a tabloid in book form.

Reactions: 15
I think the headline was inaccurate (or dramatised for effect!) but the actual article was pretty much exactly what he said wasn't it? It definitely mentioned the ghostwriter and how Harry was one of his top students. He's pretty clear that the flying lessons would not have happened as described in the book but he blames the ghostwriter rather than Harry - not a viewpoint I share. It's Harry's name on the book. He's the one who's responsible for making sure the contents are true in my opinion.
I think it's funny that Harry has used tabloid tactics in his book - a lot of his stories are also exaggerated or 'dramatised for effect.' Spare is like a tabloid in book form.
I'd be keen to see the translated version he saw for his comments, to be fair. If it focused on the "was this an aborted suicide attempt" angle or was cut off at an odd point, his reaction to it may have been very different to the version he read in full in the book.

While I have my issues with the book (in particular a tendency to states Harry's assumptions of the motives of others as fact, biased retellings, and the sheer ick of "Mummy" and "todger") I don't think it's fair to seek and hold to comments about translated clips of it.

Reactions: 1
I'd be keen to see the translated version he saw for his comments, to be fair. If it focused on the "was this an aborted suicide attempt" angle or was cut off at an odd point, his reaction to it may have been very different to the version he read in full in the book.

While I have my issues with the book (in particular a tendency to states Harry's assumptions of the motives of others as fact, biased retellings, and the sheer ick of "Mummy" and "todger") I don't think it's fair to seek and hold to comments about translated clips of it.
The instructor even says there are inaccuracies in his statement clarifying his comments which came after he read the English version. The difference is that he blames the ghostwriter while the Mirror went for the 'Harry is a liar' angle.
Harry and The Mirror both exaggerated this story which is kind of ironic really.

Reactions: 4
Wrong, coronation souvenirs and food for street parties will be sold across the whole country. The coronation itself is only taking place in Westminster like the concert but there are also lots of events for volunteering across the country on the Monday Bank Holiday
Especially as he’s likely to not be reigning long (he’ll be lucky to get 10 years looking at the state of him sometimes) and we’ll be paying for another one (and the funeral) before we know it.

America has a bigger population though so maybe they can afford more.
France has about the same population as us and also has big Presidential inaugurations now with ceremonies at the Elysee Palace, military parades etc. Though admittedly not all European royals have coronations now but accession ceremonies (Spain effectively still has a coronation for its King). The Thai, Tongan and Zulu royals still have coronations and the Japanese Emperor a grand enthronement ceremony.

Last edited:
I would like KC to stop these minor royals like Mike appearing on tv shows, doing AD's etc as I think it cheapens the brand. I want the royals to come out and do their job and disappear again. I do not want them on chat shows, airing their dirty laundry like Harry!

Reactions: 13
I would like KC to stop these minor royals like Mike appearing on tv shows, doing AD's etc as I think it cheapens the brand. I want the royals to come out and do their job and disappear again. I do not want them on chat shows, airing their dirty laundry like Harry!
Yes I agree 100%

The younger royals are turning the firm into celebrities. We have enough of them. They will lose their mystique.

• Wow
Reactions: 7
I think this started with Charles and Diana giving interviews to the media, the damage is already done I think, I can see them becoming less and less popular and relevant .

Reactions: 7
Whenever I see any of them being interviewed or on a TV show, I always think less of them.

And I didn't think I could have had a lower opinion of Prince Andrew.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.