The Royal Family #35

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
On another topic. Just seen all the brouhaha planned for the Coronation. Yes, I know London and Windsor are the centre of the ceremonial universe, but as a northerner, in spite of the sadness about the loss of the Queen, it was truly a privilege to be able to travel easily to Edinburgh, pay respects, see some of the pomp that’s usually for London only. I see that we in the provinces will get a light show projected on buildings.
Harry & Meghan’s wedding, the DofE’s funeral and later memorial, the Platty Joobs (days and days of London spectacle), the laying to rest of HRH QE2 were all marked by tons of ceremony (costing loads) and viewed by hundreds of thousands in person. We’re always being told that almost a quarter of the UK population live in London and the South East. Fair enough. But when will the other 75% get their fair share of the hundreds of thousands of pounds spent on celebrations. Or something in lieu, culture-wise. I don’t resent the southerners the royal largesse but it all seems a bit unbalanced to me.

Reactions: 16
On another topic. Just seen all the brouhaha planned for the Coronation. Yes, I know London and Windsor are the centre of the ceremonial universe, but as a northerner, in spite of the sadness about the loss of the Queen, it was truly a privilege to be able to travel easily to Edinburgh, pay respects, see some of the pomp that’s usually for London only. I see that we in the provinces will get a light show projected on buildings.
Harry & Meghan’s wedding, the DofE’s funeral and later memorial, the Platty Joobs (days and days of London spectacle), the laying to rest of HRH QE2 were all marked by tons of ceremony (costing loads) and viewed by hundreds of thousands in person. We’re always being told that almost a quarter of the UK population live in London and the South East. Fair enough. But when will the other 75% get their fair share of the hundreds of thousands of pounds spent on celebrations. Or something in lieu, culture-wise. I don’t resent the southerners the royal largesse but it all seems a bit unbalanced to me.
That's a good point. I get that the ceremonial stuff has to be in Westminster Abbey but they could put on a few more concerts or something surely? Manchester, Cardiff and Edinburgh maybe? Maybe there aren't enough good performers willing to do it!

Reactions: 6
Guess we'll find out if Charles really does dislike Andrew or not by how far he lets this go

Reactions: 4
Is it interesting that it’s in Windsor instead of in front of BP like all the jubilee concerts were? Is Charles just trying to put his own location on it so it stands out from all those previous ones?

Kate and Meghan definitely both had the same gameplan. Snag a prince, be set for life, have your kids set for life. Kate was more obvious about it than Meghan was, with her switch to St Andrews.

Kate knew exactly what she was getting into and what being royal meant, because her mum had groomed her for it. She'd accepted it. Therefore she turns up, spends an hour with the proles, she doesn't say much meaning although she doesn't enthuse she won't offend, she pisses off home and can either spend time with the kids... or hand them off to the nanny at her leisure. She may no longer fancy her husband, but he won't ever dare divorce her, so she's safe.

Meghan had an idealised view and was shocked when it didn't work out that way. Not sure whether Harry sold her the moon on this, or whether it's just americans being unable to separate Royalty vs Celebrity, but she didn't get it the way Kate does. So she fucked it up, Harry can't stand anyone not liking his precious Meg so they left, and now she's lost her leash on him and now he's digging a hole for them with every word he says.

Meanwhile the aristocrats know that the real prize is a wealthy hedge fund manager. Rich enough to be set for life and have your kids set for life, without the shite that comes from marrying the manbabies that the royals create.
I think you've got them bang on. Kate had 10 years to find out what it was going to he like being in the RF. She wanted it and she's got it. She's being forced to pretend to care about stuff for photo opportunities, wasting everyone elses time. I think that is the fault of the PR people trying to pretend they are ' just like you' when they aren't, and not necessarily her fault. Why we have to waste time pretending that being Royal is something other than extremely rich people visiting the great unwashed occasionally, wearing nice clothes and some ridiculous pomp from the medieval times is beyond me. I do think Harry ( and possibly Disney!) sold Meghan something different. It was far easier to hide the reality from someone in another country than it is from the Aristos who ran a mile. There is a reason why Disney Princess films end at the wedding!

Reactions: 13
As someone who lives in Scotland, I 100% get that. But Charles is also King in 14 commonwealth countries around the world

I recall reading Charles plans on having a sort of national tour with events and such to other places in the UK which is a very good move if you ask me sort of like what was done after HMTQ's death.

Reactions: 3
I think you've got them bang on. Kate had 10 years to find out what it was going to he like being in the RF. She wanted it and she's got it. She's being forced to pretend to care about stuff for photo opportunities, wasting everyone elses time. I think that is the fault of the PR people trying to pretend they are ' just like you' when they aren't, and not necessarily her fault. Why we have to waste time pretending that being Royal is something other than extremely rich people visiting the great unwashed occasionally, wearing nice clothes and some ridiculous pomp from the medieval times is beyond me. I do think Harry ( and possibly Disney!) sold Meghan something different. It was far easier to hide the reality from someone in another country than it is from the Aristos who ran a mile. There is a reason why Disney Princess films end at the wedding!
Harry has a bit of a strange view of royalty himself and seems obsessed with the idea of people not knowing him or him having a different personality, so it seems likely he sold Meghan the completely wrong view of what her life would be like. I’ve just finished part 1 of his book and he says that when he met Chelsy she had no idea who he was, or William or The Queen. A girl privately educated in the UK not knowing who the royal family are…come on Harry. & he had a list of requirements people had to meet to be his friend and one of them was they couldn’t mention he was the spare.

William appears more level headed and would explain to Kate what the deal would be in black and white if she married him. Harry on the other hand is more “omg how amazing you don’t know who I am, and I’m not going to tell you anything either”.

Reactions: 9
Harry has a bit of a strange view of royalty himself and seems obsessed with the idea of people not knowing him or him having a different personality, so it seems likely he sold Meghan the completely wrong view of what her life would be like. I’ve just finished part 1 of his book and he says that when he met Chelsy she had no idea who he was, or William or The Queen. A girl privately educated in the UK not knowing who the royal family are…come on Harry. & he had a list of requirements people had to meet to be his friend and one of them was they couldn’t mention he was the spare.

William appears more level headed and would explain to Kate what the deal would be in black and white if she married him. Harry on the other hand is more “omg how amazing you don’t know who I am, and I’m not going to tell you anything either”.
Wow, He really has a big problem with not being the first child born and being the spare.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Additionally, if you're calculating and smart about it, that's respectable. That's what Kate is - she knew what she was doing, she's done it well.

If you're calculating and dumb, you're going to get flack for being calculating. That's where Meghan lies - she tried it, didn't know what she was doing, and fumbled the bag.

Lots of talk about Kate manipulating the system, the media and P William to get her Prince. But how about she loved him and wanted to be with him, that’s why she was prepared to wait

Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.