The Royal Family #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I agree. Although I suppose part of the reason Anne is like she is is because shes ploughed her own path. I'm not sure if shed have been allowed to do that as heir. I also think they will struggle without The Queen. After her we have an elderly Charles to look forward to, then a middle aged man with teenage children, not a young couple with cute blonde toddlers. I'm not sure how many people under 40 ( William's generation) even give them a second thought and that's what will kill them off. Not anti monarchists because at least anti monarchists think they are relevant enough to complain about!
I dont think we will have more than a very small Netherlands style monarchy by the time William is King. Charlotte and Louis will have to make their own way in the world.
I make you right. Most people have great respect for the Queen.

By the time William becomes King the monarchy will be greatly slimmed down.

My daughter’s generation have no great interest in the Royals. They regard the whole institution as quaint and with no relevance to today’s society.

Reactions: 9
I agree @Vanillaco I'm Williams generation and I don't think anyone cares. I like to see what Kate is wearing but that's about it. I find the history of the royal family fascinating tho... And I think the house of Windsor will be as fascinating as the tudors in years to come

Reactions: 7
I agree. Although I suppose part of the reason Anne is like she is is because shes ploughed her own path. I'm not sure if shed have been allowed to do that as heir. I also think they will struggle without The Queen. After her we have an elderly Charles to look forward to, then a middle aged man with teenage children, not a young couple with cute blonde toddlers. I'm not sure how many people under 40 ( William's generation) even give them a second thought and that's what will kill them off. Not anti monarchists because at least anti monarchists think they are relevant enough to complain about!
I dont think we will have more than a very small Netherlands style monarchy by the time William is King. Charlotte and Louis will have to make their own way in the world.
I also wonder if the UK will become a republic, especially after the spending review: VAT and tax will go up, people might want to shed any additional expense?

Reactions: 2
Chancellor has just reduced overseas spending from 07% to .05% The Royal family are not going anywhere soon

Reactions: 1
I agree @Vanillaco I'm Williams generation and I don't think anyone cares. I like to see what Kate is wearing but that's about it. I find the history of the royal family fascinating tho... And I think the house of Windsor will be as fascinating as the tudors in years to come
Yes I find the history fascinating, but that's partly because they were all so dreadful!
I suspect Australia and Canada will become Republics as soon as Liz goes for a start. I'm not sure if anyone here can he bothered to get rid of them, but there was a report that said that Royal patronages dont increase the money raised by charities, and if people arent bothered enough to stand around flag waving outside hospitals anymore or would rather go to see a reality tv star open a supermarket than a minor Royal, then what's the point of having them? Charles will take a red pen to the hangers on when hes King. Wills and Kate wont be able to go back on it no matter how much they may want to keep their kids in freebies forever.

Reactions: 5
They're purely a tourist attraction in the UK now. So they won't be gotten rid of any time soon.

They're purely a tourist attraction in the UK now. So they won't be gotten rid of any time soon.
The "tourist attraction" argument is old and tired.
Most European countries have abolished monarchies and France, Germany, Austria and Switzerland (as examples) have a high turnover in terms of tourists.
Versailles is one of the most visited attractions in the world.

The people who come to the UK because of the Windsors (and esp those who come for their events) are far and few between.

If the Windsors were abolished, the UK would benefit from tourism more than it does now, because all the palaces could be opened to the public, all year round.
Lists with most visited attractions in Europe only ever feature museums in Britain. Not even Buck P makes the cut (and Buck P is just the public facade, the real seat of power is, as it ever was, St. James's).

Who's ever gone to Denmark or Sweden because of the royals??
The Danes like to claim that their royals are a tourist attraction (like people in the UK say about the Windsors) and yet I know of no one who went to Denmark because of the Glücksburgs, in fact I'd say that most people who go to Denmark aren't even aware of the royals there.

The only purpose they serve is drama. Real life soap opera in the plush setting of palaces and that's it.

In terms of philanthropy, when Kate became patron of EACH donations went down. Papers/Magazines didn't sell with her on the cover.
Complaints came in of too few appearances and she didn't have that many patronages to begin with. Some she hadn't visited for years.

As pointed out above, having a royal patron does not increase donations and as seen in the past can even lead to a decrease in money raised, they are not tourist magnets, so what the heck does it do having them as patrons?

Austria and France got rid of theirs a long time ago, which didn't make a dent in people's interest in the history of these countries. The Windsors being "historic" or "living history" is therefore also a rather poor argument. For those interested in "living history" you can still follow the Habsburgs and their ilk. Some of them have good careers as historians (to keep their family's past alive), which is infinitely more interesting (& valuable) to watch a docu in which they participated and offer their unique archive than watch some "royals" blather on about current issues when they are the epitome of hypocrisy (the Cambs announcing K's 3rd pregnancy and Will then giving a speech how everyone should have a max. of 2 kids or the Ssexes blathering on about the environment and then travelling continuously via private jet even ironically to a useless environment conference which could've been done via video link in the true spirit of environmentalism (we all know it was really to rub elbows)).

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
Who is your favourite royal? I really like zara. She seems nice and normal! No scandal around her... I don't think anyway?!

Reactions: 7
Who is your favourite royal? I really like zara. She seems nice and normal! No scandal around her... I don't think anyway?!
Some criticism when she did some sponsorships, but eh, that was stupid criticism because she's a private citizen and did what every sportsperson does...
I like her, too! Seems like that no-nonsense attitude is present in Phil, Anne and Zara (and Phil's mum Alice as well). Good women! I think Phil is also decent.

Bea and Eug aren't half-bad, they've always been private citizens and haven't really stepped their foot in too bad into anything (the dislike towards them is more an extension of the media's and people's dislike towards their parents and because they're pictured on holiday so often, but spoiler alert: today's working royals are just as often on holiday).

I like Camilla's work (domestic abuse victims etc).

Reactions: 13
The "tourist attraction" argument is old and tired.
Most European countries have abolished monarchies and France, Germany, Austria and Switzerland (as examples) have a high turnover in terms of tourists.
Versailles is one of the most visited attractions in the world.

The people who come to the UK because of the Windsors (and esp those who come for their events) are far and few between.

If the Windsors were abolished, the UK would benefit from tourism more than it does now, because all the palaces could be opened to the public, all year round.
Lists with most visited attractions in Europe only ever feature museums in Britain. Not even Buck P makes the cut (and Buck P is just the public facade, the real seat of power is, as it ever was, St. James's).

Who's ever gone to Denmark or Sweden because of the royals??
The Danes like to claim that their royals are a tourist attraction (like people in the UK say about the Windsors) and yet I know of no one who went to Denmark because of the Glücksburgs, in fact I'd say that most people who go to Denmark aren't even aware of the royals there.

The only purpose they serve is drama. Real life soap opera in the plush setting of palaces and that's it.

In terms of philanthropy, when Kate became patron of EACH donations went down. Papers/Magazines didn't sell with her on the cover.
Complaints came in of too few appearances and she didn't have that many patronages to begin with. Some she
As pointed out above, having a royal patron does not increase donations and as seen in the past can even lead to a decrease in money raised, they are not tourist magnets, so what the heck does it do having them as patrons?

Austria and France got rid of theirs a long time ago, which didn't make a dent in people's interest in the history of these countries. The Windsors being "historic" or "living history" is therefore also a rather poor argument. For those interested in "living history" you can still follow the Habsburgs and their ilk. Some of them have good careers as historians (to keep their family's past alive), which is infinitely more interesting (& valuable) to watch a docu in which they participated and offer their unique archive than watch some "royals" blather on about current issues when they are the epitome of hypocrisy (the Cambs announcing K's 3rd pregnancy and Will then giving a speech how everyone should have a max. of 2 kids or the Ssexes blathering on about the environment and then travelling continuously via private jet even ironically to a useless environment conference which could've been done via video link in the true spirit of environmentalism (we all know it was really to rub elbows)).
I am not a fan of Kate, she never did a full day's work in her life. Not a role model.

Reactions: 12
I suspect Australia and Canada will become Republics as soon as Liz goes for a start.
I‘m an Aussie and I really don’t think we give enough of a tit to be arsed doing anything about it. Apart from Kate and the other one being on the cover of Woman’s Day, they really don‘t rate much here.

Some criticism when she did some sponsorships, but eh, that was stupid criticism because she's a private citizen and did what every sportsperson does...
I like her, too! Seems like that no-nonsense attitude is present in Phil, Anne and Zara (and Phil's mum Alice as well). Good women! I think Phil is also decent.

Bea and Eug aren't half-bad, they've always been private citizens and haven't really stepped their foot in too bad into anything (the dislike towards them is more an extension of the media's and people's dislike towards their parents and because they're pictured on holiday so often, but spoiler alert: today's working royals are just as often on holiday).

I like Camilla's work (domestic abuse victims etc).
Yes I agree with most of those. ( not sure about Phil). The ones most admired seem to be the ones not n line for the top job, so probably for their own benefit they should probably start standing on their own two feet rather tyan using the crutch of the m onarchy to protect them.

I‘m an Aussie and I really don’t think we give enough of a tit to be arsed doing anything about it. Apart from Kate and the other one being on the cover of Woman’s Day, they really don‘t rate much here.
wouldn't you just need a PM to set up a referendum? I have cousins in Canada and they think the same. They are barely relevant, especially to the younger generation. Here it would be an enormous deal though.

Reactions: 1
Yes I agree with most of those. ( not sure about Phil). The ones most admired seem to be the ones not n line for the top job, so probably for their own benefit they should probably start standing on their own two feet rather tyan using the crutch of the m onarchy to protect them.

wouldn't you just need a PM to set up a referendum? I have cousins in Canada and they think the same. They are barely relevant, especially to the younger generation. Here it would be an enormous deal though.
LOL Yeah Phil is a bit controversial, but I do like his no-nonsense approach (though that made him an awful father for sensitive Charles, which is sad, regardless how anyone feels about these two otherwise), his work and vision in making the family more modern (back in the dark ages 😂), but mostly I've been impressed by the recently published letter he wrote in the 1950s when he heavily criticized New Zealand's treatment of the Maori people.

I'd say being so indifferent to them is perfect reason to get rid. I mean how weird is it being Aussie (Canadian etc), not giving a sod about them and yet they are monarchs? Then there are diplomatic links and they somewhat have to be invited regularly to perform their circus act and the government has to chip in majorly for that. "Soft diplomacy" and all that. Waste of money. The Cambs were supposed to go in "support" of the bush fires this year, was cancelled due to Covid. What good would that have done anyway? Money was raised, people all over the world reacted really well and Oz was ready to waste a few bob on these two going on PR holidays instead of allocating that budget directly towards the bush fire relief?!!?!

"We could have a portion go towards animals, plants, healthcare and rebuilding or we could invite two over-priviledged under-employed sods who are to be our head of state to smile and wave and raise their PR for themselves?" "Let's do that smile and wave thing and give them good PR!" :rolleyes::cautious:🤦‍♀️

I'd say being so indifferent to them is perfect reason to get rid. I mean how weird is it being Aussie (Canadian etc), not giving a sod about them and yet they are monarchs?
Speaking only for myself and those around me, there is a fondness for them, and being so far away from Europe/North America you can feel a little isolated. So a visit is nice. Does it raise awareness or ‘shine a light’...(blech), probably not. But I think most of the firies/familys who lost their homes in the fires would rather a visit from them than a drop in by some pollie trying to get re-elected. Or some trumped up singer trying to sell records.

I do think eventually that we as a nation will get rid of them, but they genuinely have no hold over things. I know in theory the queen can influence our politics (Gough Whitlam) but it’s just honestly no one cares enough. There is just no burning fiery passion here at the moment to put the effort in to get shot of them.

Reactions: 5
LOL Yeah Phil is a bit controversial, but I do like his no-nonsense approach (though that made him an awful father for sensitive Charles, which is sad, regardless how anyone feels about these two otherwise), his work and vision in making the family more modern (back in the dark ages 😂), but mostly I've been impressed by the recently published letter he wrote in the 1950s when he heavily criticized New Zealand's treatment of the Maori people.

I'd say being so indifferent to them is perfect reason to get rid. I mean how weird is it being Aussie (Canadian etc), not giving a sod about them and yet they are monarchs? Then there are diplomatic links and they somewhat have to be invited regularly to perform their circus act and the government has to chip in majorly for that. "Soft diplomacy" and all that. Waste of money. The Cambs were supposed to go in "support" of the bush fires this year, was cancelled due to Covid. What good would that have done anyway? Money was raised, people all over the world reacted really well and Oz was ready to waste a few bob on these two going on PR holidays instead of allocating that budget directly towards the bush fire relief?!!?!

"We could have a portion go towards animals, plants, healthcare and rebuilding or we could invite two over-priviledged under-employed sods who are to be our head of state to smile and wave and raise their PR for themselves?" "Let's do that smile and wave thing and give them good PR!" :rolleyes::cautious:🤦‍♀️
Can I just say, I always really enjoy your posts on this thread? I find them so informative and well written. Thank you.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.