The Royal Family #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Taking it waaay back. Who killed the prince's in the tower (sorry if this has been done)

Reactions: 4
Not sure if this is relevant for this thread but are you guys excited for the next season of The Crown? I can't wait to see how they'll portray Diana.

Reactions: 17
Taking it waaay back. Who killed the prince's in the tower (sorry if this has been done)
😄 I think it had something to do with Henry vii or his mother. His son was a sociopath.

Not sure if this is relevant for this thread but are you guys excited for the next season of The Crown? I can't wait to see how they'll portray Diana.
I didnt enjoy series 3 as much as 1 and 2 but I'll still watch the whole thing 😃

Reactions: 8
Apparently Richard iii so he could become king. Others suggest Henry vii mother. The White queen is a brilliant series

Reactions: 3
Apparently Richard iii so he could become king. Others suggest Henry vii mother. The White queen is a brilliant series
I love those books. I've just bought The Constant Princess from a charity shop so I'm looking forward to starting that.

Reactions: 3
I haven't got Netflix, but I can't wait to see the confusion amongst many of my friends of both sexes as they try to work out whether they should still lust after Gillian Anderson when she's playing Maggie Thatcher!

• Haha
Reactions: 27
I haven't got Netflix, but I can't wait to see the confusion amongst many of my friends of both sexes as they try to work out whether they should still lust after Gillian Anderson when she's playing Maggie Thatcher!
I'm a gay guy, and even I get confused about how I feel about Gillian Anderson. She's the only woman who could make me sexually confused and wonder, can she turn me? 😂😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
Came here to say this! I don't even know what it is about her but *swoon*.

Guys? You do realise how Genetics work? Even if Doria has 100% black ancestors, Meghan cannot be more than 50% black as long as Thomas is a 100% white (as far as 100% of something is possible anyway). That has nothing to do with how she looks. I find the whole discussion pretty strange.

Reactions: 5
History paints R3 as a villain but there is a society of Richardians who say he was a good king and the people loved him. My money is on Margaret Beaufort. She was a woman before her time!

Guys? You do realise how Genetics work? Even if Doria has 100% black ancestors, Meghan cannot be more than 50% black as long as Thomas is a 100% white (as far as 100% of something is possible anyway). That has nothing to do with how she looks. I find the whole discussion pretty strange.
I think it was more how meghan identifies herself rather than her genetic makeup. Nobody is 100% anything... Dual heritage are able to identify as both, if that is what they choose. That's how it works for me anyway. The op seemed to be saying meghan was white until being black was cool. Other people were saying this wasn't a thing. Someone articulated it much better than I am doing now 😊

Reactions: 2

We’re aware. We’re just saying that she 1) isn’t necessarily only 25% black and 2) race is more complicated than the percentage she is. We’ve moved past this anyway - even if she’s 25% she’s within her rights to explore that side and identify with her mother’s heritage at any point in her life because people can learn and change. The same way a lot of people have been learning more about racism in light of recent events.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I love those books. I've just bought The Constant Princess from a charity shop so I'm looking forward to starting that.
Is this Phillippa Gregory about Katherine of aragon? I loved the other Boleyn girl.

Yes.. The White princess is fab too!

Reactions: 1
No joke I’ve seen about 4 memes of GA as Thatcher on Twitter with ‘tough wank’ as caption. I’ve really got to think seriously about who I choose to follow 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 13
History paints R3 as a villain but there is a society of Richardians who say he was a good king and the people loved him. My money is on Margaret Beaufort. She was a woman before her time!
I love it when people talk about the Royal Family’s history! ❤

Most of the vilification of R3 was courtesy of the Tudors. Henry VII fended off multiple uprisings by people claiming to be one of the Princes as well, and Henry VII and his successors were really sensitive about their relatively weak claim on the crown.

One of the the biggest piece of propaganda about R3 was from Shakespeare who really played up the crooked cowardly hunchback thing.

Henry VII actually took pity on one of the attempted usurpers because I think the boy was so young at around ten years old, so after crushing his army, Henry gave him a job and the lad ended up caring for the King’s birds of prey. Later, older lads weren’t so lucky.

On a similar note of misrepresented Kings, I believe that King John was actually a very good King contrary to the Robin Hood nonsense. His brother, Richard the Lionheart didn’t spend very long in England at all and was only interested in his French interests and plundering the Middle East. A lot of the tax efforts was part of financing the “Lionheart’s” war machine and was part of the political struggle between a medieval King and his nobility over power.

Also, I always wondered if Edward II was unlucky in that he comes across as a very Renaissance style King, who was unfortunately born into the height of the medieval period where being a bit of an educated fop was a liability. His wife Isabella was something though, even if she did have him murdered.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I have seen that Elizabeth Debicki is playing Diana is season 5. Don’t think she will be good if they go with “Diana was a Saint” route. If they go with “Diana was not a Saint and was playing a role” she will be quite good, or at least I think so.

I love it when people talk about the Royal Family’s history! ❤

Most of the vilification of R3 was courtesy of the Tudors. Henry VII fended off multiple uprisings by people claiming to be one of the Princes as well, and Henry VII and his successors were really sensitive about their relatively weak claim on the crown.

One of the the biggest piece of propaganda about R3 was from Shakespeare who really played up the crooked cowardly hunchback thing.

Henry VII actually took pity on one of the attempted usurpers because I think the boy was so young at around ten years old, so after crushing his army, Henry gave him a job and the lad ended up caring for the King’s birds of prey. Later, older lads weren’t so lucky.

On a similar note of misrepresented Kings, I believe that King John was actually a very good King contrary to the Robin Hood nonsense. His brother, Richard the Lionheart didn’t spend very long in England at all and was only interested in his French interests and plundering the Middle East. A lot of the tax efforts was part of financing the “Lionheart’s” war machine and was part of the political struggle between a medieval King and his nobility over power.

Also, I always wondered if Edward II was unlucky in that he comes across as a very Renaissance style King, who was unfortunately born into the height of the medieval period where being a bit of an educated fop was a liability. His wife Isabella was something though, even if she did have him murdered.
I am obsessed with Royal history, especially the end of the war of roses and tudors. I've heard that about Shakespeare before that he and the tudors vilified Richard to strengthen their shaky throne... H7 inherited through his mother's illegimate line I think.. His wife's claim was much stronger! Often wonder what Elizabeth felt about these boys coming forward claiming to be her brother. I know that in those times they wouldn't have been as close to each other as say Harry and William (pre meghan times) but still...
Funfact: the queen of hearts in playing cards is rumoured to be based on Elizabeth, mother of Henry8

s this Phillippa Gregory about Katherine of aragon? I loved the other Boleyn girl.
Yes it is. I read The other Boleyn girl first then got I to the rest of the series. Realised you were talking about the tv series. I dont have whatever I need to watch it so I've just read all the books. I prefer the Plantaganets to The Tudors

I thought he was hunch backed when they dug him up in Leicester?

Last edited:
I am obsessed with Royal history, especially the end of the war of roses and tudors. I've heard that about Shakespeare before that he and the tudors vilified Richard to strengthen their shaky throne... H7 inherited through his mother's illegimate line I think.. His wife's claim was much stronger! Often wonder what Elizabeth felt about these boys coming forward claiming to be her brother. I know that in those times they wouldn't have been as close to each other as say Harry and William (pre meghan times) but still...
Funfact: the queen of hearts in playing cards is rumoured to be based on Elizabeth, mother of Henry8

Unfortunately, female aristocrats during the period weren’t remarked greatly on. Although I imagine on a personal level, she would have been angered by the queue of people claiming to be her siblings and others, but not in a position to do greatly about it. They were expected to keep silent, have babies and just be pretty and maybe a little charitable.

The power dynamics between female and male aristocrats especially when the female technically outranked the male, could be very fraught. Elizabeth I for example, was in an awkward position that as Queen, she was the boss of the nation but if she married, even to a subject, she would have to defer to her husband as was the culture of the time.

A good example of when that happened was with her contemporary Mary Queen of Scots, who ended up having to contain Lord Darnley (a petty violent man) who wanted to rule as King, the same as with Bothwell later. All it did was result in political instability and a lot of personal suffering for her.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.