The Royal Family #16

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Can I top trumps with my cousin who was in the same academic year as Charles? He passed his 11+ and went to Grammar School. took 4 ‘A’ levels and was predicted (and achieved) A, A, B, C. Had an Oxbridge interview and was declined. But then, His personal statement didn’t say I am a Prince of the Realm …
Excellent point and makes me sick to be honest. Well now then can that be trumped?????;)

Reactions: 2
Can I top trumps with my cousin who was in the same academic year as Charles? He passed his 11+ and went to Grammar School. took 4 ‘A’ levels and was predicted (and achieved) A, A, B, C. Had an Oxbridge interview and was declined. But then, His personal statement didn’t say I am a Prince of the Realm …
Not to take anything away from your cousin, and he probably doesn’t care anymore if he’s 73, but even without Charles getting in fairly or unfairly, there are people that get rejected because they simply don’t suit the uni and its style of working. There’s studytubers who got 3 A*s that were rejected from Oxbridge at the interview stage, but people who got 3 As who get in.

Reactions: 5
I knew a Cambridge contemporary of Edward and his rubbish A levels were definitely commented on by students. Oxford used to do 2 E offers based on exam/interview but with the total expectation that the applicant would get straight As or close (as predicted). Maybe the odd person relaxed and slipped up. But if they had achieved a 2 E offer then they had earned it.
Cambridge never had that system.

Reactions: 4
So he got an Oxbridge interview with predicted and achieved B and C grades, not all As. So even your anecdote proves you did not need straight A grades to get into Oxbridge back then.

William got A B C grades and went to St Andrews not Oxbridge

So he got an Oxbridge interview with predicted and achieved B and C grades, not all As. So even your anecdote proves you did not need straight A grades to get into Oxbridge back then.

That’s a bit disingenuous to focus on the B and C when this person’s cousin also got 2 As.
And the discussion was about Charles / Edward not William (or Tony Blair). However I wonder what the typical A level grades were for St Andrews students back in the early zeros. There can be no doubt that being a prince bumps you up the admissions list and that for me is wrong when they have every possible educational advantage already.

Reactions: 7
That’s a bit disingenuous to focus on the B and C when this person’s cousin also got 2 As.
And the discussion was about Charles / Edward not William (or Tony Blair). However I wonder what the typical A level grades were for St Andrews students back in the early zeros. There can be no doubt that being a prince bumps you up the admissions list and that for me is wrong when they have every possible educational advantage already.
I would imagine the chance of studying with Prince William boosted St Andrews History of Art applications rather than the other way round. Most of the applicants would likely have been privately educated wealthy young ladies.

In any case the Queen didn't even go to university at all, nor did George Vth for example. You don't need a degree to be monarch but if they didn't have a degree you would then say they were uneducated and whinge anyway!!

The brightest royals on A level grades are the Duchess of Cambridge and Princess Eugenie who both got 2 As and a B before attending St Andrews and Newcastle respectively. Indeed Kate got an A in A level Maths which is not easy

Last edited:
Reactions: 3

No. As I said. He was predicted 2 A,s, a B and a C.
He also achieved 2A’s a B and a C.

I don’t have a problem with some aspects of their PR. The idea that they aren’t as stuffy as previous generations, more approachable etc. Thats good stuff and needed if the monarchy is to survive. I also think the light they’ve shone on mental health should be applauded, of course it’s better to be depressed in a castle than depressed on the streets but the principle idea of seeing royals talk about something taboo can be effective. The problem is when the line is crossed into “oh we’re just like you” Kate spotted in The Range, “only” one nanny, a “modest” 4 bedroom house. But the question I ask is how much of this comes from them and how much is it the press setting them up to fail? We all knew it would happen, they rinsed the Cambridge’s, then put them on a pedastool to compare Harry and Meghan to and now the dragging is starting to creep back.

Reactions: 4
No. As I said. He was predicted 2 A,s, a B and a C.
He also achieved 2A’s a B and a C.
So not straight As then, good grades yes but as I said you did not need straight As to get back into Oxbridge back then. Whereas now you need mostly straight A*s

I don’t have a problem with some aspects of their PR. The idea that they aren’t as stuffy as previous generations, more approachable etc. Thats good stuff and needed if the monarchy is to survive. I also think the light they’ve shone on mental health should be applauded, of course it’s better to be depressed in a castle than depressed on the streets but the principle idea of seeing royals talk about something taboo can be effective. The problem is when the line is crossed into “oh we’re just like you” Kate spotted in The Range, “only” one nanny, a “modest” 4 bedroom house. But the question I ask is how much of this comes from them and how much is it the press setting them up to fail? We all knew it would happen, they rinsed the Cambridge’s, then put them on a pedastool to compare Harry and Meghan to and now the dragging is starting to creep back.
I think it’s their own PR people … who are just as out of touch as they are.

Strip away Dan Wooton’s <spit> purple prose and it said exactly the same about William’s feelings about his upbringing as Harry has said about his.

If the are going to be People Like Us … then they don’t get to pick and choose which parts of the job description they aren’t going to do. If the are People Like Us then if they are working part time or doing lighter duties then the pay should be reduced accordingly.

i actually think William and Kate have done pretty … they had as normal a start to married life as an heir to the throne ever has, they were excused onerous Duties while William was air ambulancing. They only really became full time working Royals around 2017 and now it’s being mooted that he’s only wanting to work school hours. I mean, come on man, you’re 40. Time to start earning the shiny baubles.

So not straight As then, good grades yes but as I said you did not need straight As to get back into Oxbridge back then. Whereas now you need mostly straight A*s
Still better than Charles though, eh?
At least he had 2 of ‘em.

Reactions: 2
Good old Meghan “recollections may vary” Markle taking the definition of fire to the extreme. And if it was that big of an incident why hasn’t it come up with her best friend Serena before her podcast?
Surely people can’t still think her truth is THE truth, it’s in the ball park but not the same.

Reactions: 8
I think it’s their own PR people … who are just as out of touch as they are.

Strip away Dan Wooton’s <spit> purple prose and it said exactly the same about William’s feelings about his upbringing as Harry has said about his.

If the are going to be People Like Us … then they don’t get to pick and choose which parts of the job description they aren’t going to do. If the are People Like Us then if they are working part time or doing lighter duties then the pay should be reduced accordingly.

i actually think William and Kate have done pretty … they had as normal a start to married life as an heir to the throne ever has, they were excused onerous Duties while William was air ambulancing. They only really became full time working Royals around 2017 and now it’s being mooted that he’s only wanting to work school hours. I mean, come on man, you’re 40. Time to start earning the shiny baubles.

Still better than Charles though, eh?
At least he had 2 of ‘em.
There is no job description for an heir to the throne, you can do as many or as few royal duties as you like until you actually become Monarch in which case your day will clearly be set out with affairs of State. As the Sovereign Grant mainly funds official duties you don't get as much if you do fewer duties anyway

There is no job description for an heir to the throne, you can do as many or as few royal duties as you like until you actually become Monarch in which case your day will clearly be set out with affairs of State. As the Sovereign Grant mainly funds official duties you don't get as much if you do fewer duties anyway
There might not be but when you're taking PUBLIC money for your role and you're paid very well for it you'd think guilt would kick in and you'd get yourself into gear and do something. That and when you're 90-something year old grandmother works more than you and your wife combined the guilt should definitely kick in....

Reactions: 12
There might not be but when you're taking PUBLIC money for your role and you're paid very well for it you'd think guilt would kick in and you'd get yourself into gear and do something. That and when you're 90-something year old grandmother works more than you and your wife combined the guilt should definitely kick in....
They don't take public money for their role unless they are doing royal duties or overseas tours which the sovereign grant covers and for security which they would get however many hours they work. The less duties and tours they do the less sovereign grant they get. They also are paying full rent on Adelaide Cottage

Reactions: 1
They don't take public money for their role unless they are doing royal duties or overseas tours which the sovereign grant covers and for security which they would get however many hours they work. The less duties and tours they do the less sovereign grant they get. They also are paying full rent on Adelaide Cottage
Well ‘public money’ takes many forms. Even if the actual sovereign grant varies, they have an endless array of palatial homes to live in, huge retinues of staff and pretty much unlimited private wealth (accumulated down the centuries as a result of being royal).
Paying full rent on Adelaide Cottage…when you have 3 other homes that you have been gifted and the taxpayer has paid for the extensive reno of (in two cases). Goodness I’ll hunt out my tiny violin!

Reactions: 7
Someone from my school got into Oxford with 2 E's based on his personal statement and interview! I would imagine Charles' personal statement to get into Cambridge would have said 'I'm Prince Charles'. and he would have turned up to his interview and been Prince Charles.
Let's be fair what institution is going to turn down the prestigious chance of having a future King as one of their alumni.

Reactions: 5
Well ‘public money’ takes many forms. Even if the actual sovereign grant varies, they have an endless array of palatial homes to live in, huge retinues of staff and pretty much unlimited private wealth (accumulated down the centuries as a result of being royal).
Paying full rent on Adelaide Cottage…when you have 3 other homes that you have been gifted and the taxpayer has paid for the extensive reno of (in two cases). Goodness I’ll hunt out my tiny violin!
Half their homes are privately owned, so nothing to do with the public or the state. Two belong to the Crown Estate, one of which they pay full rent on and the other is just an apartment in London which they need for duties done in the Capital and which was refurbished for that purpose.

Compared to the average billionaire the royal family is not that well off. They also pay for their own staff on their private estates, the rest come with the Crown Estate properties whether they live there or not.

[
I agree. And honestly, most high up politicians have a press office and play pr games. Same for companies. It’s not as if they are only judged by their work.
I think with H&M sinking more and more into oblivion the press is about to turn against them again. At the moment they still have PA and Charles’ foundation, but soon enough they will talk about Wiliam‘s awkwardness, the cost of Kate’s wardrobe, their way of flying, vacations and engagement numbers with a chilling tone again. The press needs a village. W&K had a long break from the cycle but H&M are swallowed and chewed up enough. Nothing scandalous about their stupidities anymore. Bringing down the golden couple of the last three years will bring “fresh” material.

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.