The Royal Family #16

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
No way on earth would anyone else have got into Cambridge with two average A levels. Even allowing for grade inflation. At a minimum, 3 good quality A levels (AAB or above) were needed.
Of course he got a degree, they’d hardly fail him!
Of course they do.

When Mr Super Wealthy offers Oxford/Cambridge a very large donation they somehow manage to accept Baby Super Wealthy with their three D's.

I wish they'd stop trying to portray TRF as being normal. They aren't and never will be. I think most people are happy with that but it's when the media tries to make out otherwise it pisses people off.

Reactions: 11
No way on earth would anyone else have got into Cambridge with two average A levels. Even allowing for grade inflation. At a minimum, 3 good quality A levels (AAB or above) were needed.
Of course he got a degree, they’d hardly fail him!
I agree no way did people get into one of the top Universities in the world which the grades he got.

Reactions: 2
I agree no way did people get into one of the top Universities in the world which the grades he got.
Charles got B and C grade A levels and a second class degree not a third so was more than capable of doing the Cambridge history course.

People regularly got into Cambridge with A B C in the 1960s or lower as barely anyone got straight A grades before grade inflation

Reactions: 1
Of course they do.

When Mr Super Wealthy offers Oxford/Cambridge a very large donation they somehow manage to accept Baby Super Wealthy with their three D's.

I wish they'd stop trying to portray TRF as being normal. They aren't and never will be. I think most people are happy with that but it's when the media tries to make out otherwise it pisses people off.
Completely agree. Most of the time I don’t really think about them. But I read that they are moving to a 4 bed house and it’s supposed to make me feel like I am like then I get cross (in case you hadn’t gathered that). Then it also makes ne think of how unfair much of society is.

Reactions: 5
Charles got B and C grade A levels and a second class degree not a third so was more than capable of doing the Cambridge history course.

People regularly got into Cambridge with A B C in the 1960s or lower as barely anyone got straight A grades before grade inflation

He didn't have ABC. He only had BC. Others with these grades were not accepted. Of course he was awarded a second class. Heaven forfend a third! 😱

The cost of living crisis - let's have 4/5 houses and spend people's salaries and more on education! Because London and a huge apartment at KP isn't good enough! But they are SO normal and SO relatable let's not criticise our Saints William and Kate.
First time posting on this forum, have been posting on another since July.

I make vlogs, I call them flogs and someone told me in comments on one of my vlogs about the poor couple and their problems.
I am known to get outraged and ranty and avoid reading about the `monarchy and celebs for that reason.
However, this evening I have published my short flog which will bring out all the Royalists shouting , "Orf with her head."
Will give you the link if it's not against the rules. Will wait and see???

Reactions: 2
First time posting on this forum, have been posting on another since July.

I make vlogs, I call them flogs and someone told me in comments on one of my vlogs about the poor couple and their problems.
I am known to get outraged and ranty and avoid reading about the `monarchy and celebs for that reason.
However, this evening I have published my short flog which will bring out all the Royalists shouting , "Orf with her head."
Will give you the link if it's not against the rules. Will wait and see???
I’d like the link!!

It makes me laugh that they’re also suggesting a normal size four bedroom cottage. I’ll bet even those lucky enough to live in a 4 bed house would envy this 4 bed….sprawling mansion with a staff house neatly tucked behind. They talk about them living without the nanny, chef & housekeeper now - that’s stretching it a bit when they’re in a house a few metres a way! Oh so very normal, just like us….

Attachments

Reactions: 7
He didn't have ABC. He only had BC. Others with these grades were not accepted. Of course he was awarded a second class. Heaven forfend a third! 😱
Evidence others with those grades were not accepted?

Just the usual tedious republican rants, of course taxpayers don't pay for the royals anyway, the Sovereign Grant profits do. Rather our apolitical royals than President Johnson, Blair or Starmer. In any case President Macron lives in the Elysee Palace you can only visit a few times a year, less than Buckingham Palace and a castle in the south of France. The US President and their family costs US taxpayers a fortune in security and has the White House and Camp David and all Presidents have protection for life

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4
I’ve said it before, but the very fact that the royals are NOT LIKE US is why they’re royal. If Bill and Cath lived in a 4 bed semi in Stockport (like us) it would make them boring and unremarkable and definitely not royal. If I were in their position I’d have a house with grounds, staff, private schooling for my kids, helicopters to Waitrose, diamond tiaras, and ermine coats. It’s NUTS to think they should ‘be like us’. They’re not. And that’s why they’re royal.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I don’t think there should be fee paying schools, if there have to be then full vat and business rates should be levied on them (state schools have to pay business rates and it bugs me that private schools don’t have to of their charitable status as I understand it). States schools are desperately in need of money and there is going to be a huge two tier system for those children who went to them and those who experienced the state school system and its lack of resources. Even if that’s always been the case, it isn’t right and we should do something about it.

I think the royal family should send their children to state schools and use nhs hospitals too. They are supposed to represent us so they should be like us. I would accept the ruling monarch having special doctors like the president of the USA does (as I understand it), that seems sensible.

As for the houses, four is ridiculous. Again I would tax second home owners through the roof.

Finally it really bugs me how we are supposed to admire w and k for arranging their working lives so they can do the school run. To me, it sums up their privilege that they can do this (and have a full time nanny), when childcare and wraparound care is experiencing major issues and is almost unaffordable for many parents whose employers won’t allow them flexibility to work hours that fit with the school day.

To me it sums up how out of touch the royal family (and maybe even the ruling elites more widely) are out of touch with real life for most people. Although this may not be anything new.
I don’t know. Public school is a big thing in the UK. There are so many in varying degrees it’s hardly uncommon. The problems with this and what happens when parents start pulling their children out of the system are well known but I am yet to see the parents using their children’s future to make a point of principle if it’s not one of the good schools. If it’s a problematic school they will send their child elsewhere if they can, which will continue this cycle but it’s hardly fair to make the children pay for it. I am actually pretty interested how a country should solve such a problem. My country is still far away from this but we are firmly marching in a similar direction and those effects are starting to get discussed. You cannot just close the public schools and only keep a certain percentage, which would only cut down the elite and make it even more exclusive. You can maybe force them to offer a percentage of full ride scholarships? Which is taking even more good pupils out of the system. Or install a cap on free? In the end many parents that can are happy and willing to pay extra if they feel it will give their children a better education, start in their professional life, more opportunities, a better learning experience…
Same for the NHS. In many countries with general health insurance people pay extra to get some bonus treatments (eyes and teeth for example , single rooms in hospitals…). So going semi private is really not that uncommon.
And adjusting your schedule to care for your own offspring if that’s a possibility is also not unheard off- but I think it’s way harder in the UK than where I live so my perspective is different. For example: If you have a 9-5 office job that can be done remotely it’s not that hard to start maybe at 8 and finish a 4 to make the school run. Or work a tad longer on certain days to get off earlier at others. Obviously that’s not an option in every job, but it’s nice if you can. And I would say it should be the norm that parents do their own parenting and be there for the boring parent jobs as well instead of rather paying someone for it. So if they can adjust their schedules to do the school run or cook dinner or brush teeth and tuck them in (which can still be a pita job at Louis age) rather than have Maria do it, it’s a privilege well used.

K&W “just like you” game is not saying they are like some minimum wage, small council flat family. They are rich. They will always be rich no matter what happens to the monarchy. But not all well off people have staff or travel in private planes or first class only. They try to show they are a bit like your next door, well off neighbour. It’s more the- we don’t need people to curtsy and sing the national anthem when they see us- just like you. And in a twisted way they are. They absolutely want to give their children a good childhood with a stellar education to set them up for their future. Of course they want to protect them from having their lives in the papers/internet (and let’s be real - a lot if what is said about them and the children would be called online bullying/abuse if they were normal people) and the negative stuff that comes with it. Of course they want to have stellar health care. Of course they want to have nice holidays and expand their children’s horizons, show them the world and just enjoy doing stuff with them. That’s pretty normal. The extent of how they actually (can) do it is just what normal people do on steroids. Is it fair? No. But I think it’s weird to think that are saying they are just like your normal struggling family in terms of specific experiences. They can never be and I don’t think they actually think they face the same real hard problems. But of course they have the same motivations, wishes and fears like most parents no matter their prospects. That’s the only level they can connect on with the ordinary crowd. Their resource might be different but the centre motivation is the same.

I think the general idea behind this PR angle is not bad in itself. But it’s tricky extremely because of course they are not like your normal family (which raises the question what is normal? Is your personal experience the norm to measure them against?). Whoever works this narrative is not doing a really good job. Maybe it’s W&K though. Maybe they can’t work the angle well. Sometimes they get it right way but often enough not. So right now, I would say it’s not really working for them.

Reactions: 8
I think the general idea behind this PR angle is not bad in itself. But it’s tricky extremely because of course they are not like your normal family (which raises the question what is normal? Is your personal experience the norm to measure them against?). Whoever works this narrative is not doing a really good job. Maybe it’s W&K though. Maybe they can’t work the angle well. Sometimes they get it right way but often enough not. So right now, I would say it’s not really working for them
I think the problem comes when they try to sell narratives that are patently untrue and, as a result insult ordinary people. So William and Kate aren't doing any work because they have to be around for their children to bring them up well? Well we are paying for them to be working Royals, and the vast majority of people don't have a choice of two more or less stay at home parents, nannies and staff, so does that mean our children aren't brought up properly? Or eulogising about how amazing they are for wearing outfits twice or flying economy class when we know that for every economy class flight there are several unannounced helicopter rides and private jet holidays abroad, when they pontificate to others about the environment but do nothing about their own enormous carbon footprint. They are extremely wealthy and privileged and behave as they are. We all know that. They need to stop pontificating about things they know little about and stop selling this false narrative about themselves. Also, why do they need PR? It's sheer vanity and boredom. If they don't want people to talk about the unsavoury things they do, don't do them. If they want to have 10 houses, fully staffed at taxpayers expense, and using up huge amounts if energy and resources to keep going and burn £10 notes in front of us, there is absolutely nothing we can do about it. Charles will still be King, and then William, whatever they do. All the PR is just so they can feel more popular that some other member of their own family.

Reactions: 12
I am a few years younger than Charles. I went to the local state grammar school. All students who wanted to go to university took 3 or 4 A level subjects. I took 4. I was predicted to get B's and was encouraged to apply to universities like Birmingham and Nottingham rather than Oxbridge. A star did not exist but some of my friends who were expected to get A's were encouraged to try for London or Oxbridge. I think with C, D, as predicted grades we would have been advised to apply for an HND at the local polytechnic. A lot less students went to university in the 1960's. My father was a car mechanic not a royal and I worked a saturday job to earn extra money.
I don't think any of the royals are particularly academic.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I am a few years younger than Charles. I went to the local state grammar school. All students who wanted to go to university took 3 or 4 A level subjects. I took 4. I was predicted to get B's and was encouraged to apply to universities like Birmingham and Nottingham rather than Oxbridge. A star did not exist but some of my friends who were expected to get A's were encouraged to try for London or Oxbridge. I think with C, D, as predicted grades we would have been advised to apply for an HND at the local polytechnic. A lot less students went to university in the 1960's. My father was a car mechanic not a royal and I worked a saturday job to earn extra money.
I don't think any of the royals are particularly academic.
No way would Charles have gone to a poly but with his pathetically low grades he shouldn't have been allowed in Cambridge as you say only A grades would have been allowed to darken their door.

No way would Charles have gone to a poly but with his pathetically low grades he shouldn't have been allowed in Cambridge as you say only A grades would have been allowed to darken their door.
Someone from my school got into Oxford with 2 E's based on his personal statement and interview! I would imagine Charles' personal statement to get into Cambridge would have said 'I'm Prince Charles'. and he would have turned up to his interview and been Prince Charles.

• Haha
No way would Charles have gone to a poly but with his pathetically low grades he shouldn't have been allowed in Cambridge as you say only A grades would have been allowed to darken their door
That is not true, as I have already showed you plenty got into Oxbridge with B and C grades in the 1960s. In fact even at Oxbridge very few had straight As back then as it was pre grade inflation

That is not true, as I have already showed you plenty got into Oxbridge with B and C grades in the 1960s. In fact even at Oxbridge very few had straight As back then as it was pre grade inflation
You have showed me??????? There are people on here who were doing their A levels a few years after Charlie and they have made it clear that A's were required for Oxbridge and if you were forecasted to get a B you were advised to try for a redbrick University and that Charles's grades would have landed him in a polytechnic.

Reactions: 5
You have showed me??????? There are people on here who were doing their A levels a few years after Charlie and they have made it clear that A's were required for Oxbridge and if you were forecasted to get a B you were advised to try for a redbrick University and that Charles's grades would have landed him in a polytechnic.
No there aren't. Prince Charles did his A levels in 1966 and nobody on here has said they did theirs as far back as then which was pre grade inflation. In 1966 barely anyone got straight As and plenty got into Oxbridge with Bs or Cs as Charles did, including Tony Blair a few years later

No there aren't. Prince Charles did his A levels in 1966 and nobody on here has said they did theirs as far back as then which was pre grade inflation. In 1966 barely anyone got straight As and plenty got into Oxbridge with Bs or Cs as Charles did, including Tony Blair a few years later
Can I top trumps with my cousin who was in the same academic year as Charles? He passed his 11+ and went to Grammar School. took 4 ‘A’ levels and was predicted (and achieved) A, A, B, C. Had an Oxbridge interview and was declined. But then, His personal statement didn’t say I am a Prince of the Realm …

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.