The Royal Family #16

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She and Edward have said that they had IVF for James; their age and the previous problems would no doubt have contributed.
I read about Louise's difficult birth but had no idea James was born via IVF. It's very good of Sophie and Edward to be open about something like this. It's hard enough having fertility troubles and sometimes, just knowing someone else with all this money and power is facing the same challenges can make you feel a little less alone and be more forgiving to yourself hopefully.

Who knows? Maybe one day people will feel a little more kindly towards to those dastardly surrogates too. 🤭

Reactions: 6
There is no need to get either York sister up and running as full time royal. Same for Louise, James, Peter and Zara. A slimmed down monarchy to 7 (for now) or even less means less engagements. The BRF is already an outlier with their numbers. W&K might look lazy compared to his family but are quite average compared to all the other royal households across Europe- especially if you remember they are behind Charles and Camilla. I mean, all royals could work more, non of them even remotely works the hours like normal people in normal jobs. William and Kate will end up with around 200 engagements each when they are actually reigning and around 150 each when Charles is king. The times of 350 engagements for one person will be over the second Anne retires/steps back a bit.
Slimming down will cut the numbers of the BRF drastically. You cannot slim down personal and expect the same outcome. Especially if you also expect a general modernisation. W&K biggest problem is that what they have shown from the more modern approaches has either been sloppy (Heads together, Early years) or is still to young to be properly judged (Earthshot).They need better execution and PR. So many missed chances to sell their determination. I mean I highly doubt the other royals are humanitarian angles, laying awake at night planning to save the world (even though some desperados they to appear as just that). Non of them are. But they have found better ways to appear involved and invested. This also goes for all royal households. I mean everyone would work less for the same money if possible. They are just as opportunistic and lazy as everyone else. But some are better in appearing not lazy as others. No excuse though. With their resources at hand, they should rake in praise without end for their work. They need better strategies (public relations and the actual jobs).

There is no need to get either York sister up and running as full time royal. Same for Louise, James, Peter and Zara. A slimmed down monarchy to 7 (for now) or even less means less engagements. The BRF is already an outlier with their numbers. W&K might look lazy compared to his family but are quite average compared to all the other royal households across Europe- especially if you remember they are behind Charles and Camilla. I mean, all royals could work more, non of them even remotely works the hours like normal people in normal jobs. William and Kate will end up with around 200 engagements each when they are actually reigning and around 150 each when Charles is king. The times of 350 engagements for one person will be over the second Anne retires/steps back a bit.
Slimming down will cut the numbers of the BRF drastically. You cannot slim down personal and expect the same outcome. Especially if you also expect a general modernisation. W&K biggest problem is that what they have shown from the more modern approaches has either been sloppy (Heads together, Early years) or is still to young to be properly judged (Earthshot).They need better execution and PR. So many missed chances to sell their determination. I mean I highly doubt the other royals are humanitarian angles, laying awake at night planning to save the world (even though some desperados they to appear as just that). Non of them are. But they have found better ways to appear involved and invested. This also goes for all royal households. I mean everyone would work less for the same money if possible. They are just as opportunistic and lazy as everyone else. But some are better in appearing not lazy as others. No excuse though. With their resources at hand, they should rake in praise without end for their work. They need better strategies (public relations and the actual jobs).
I don't disagree with slimming down, there's no need for every member of the royal family to take on engagements all the time. However, those who do the most currently are not getting any younger. It's not reasonable to expect those in their 70's like Charles, Camilla, Anne to do as much as they do for much longer. The Cambridge children are a long way off being in that position, so there will be a bit of a gap, I don't see why the York sisters can't pick up royal work and support the monarch, whether that individual is their grandmother, uncle or, eventually, cousin. Over the decades, the Queen has had cousins such as Princess Alexandra and the Duke of Gloucester support the monarchy in carrying out engagements. Again, they are all advanced in years, the patronages they hold are going to need passed on at some point in the not too distant future - W&K can't pick up them all and Harry has thrown the toys out the pram.

Reactions: 4
The difference is that if ‘we’ decide to work less, we get paid less. Most of us don’t have that luxury because we have bills to pay.
The royals can pick and choose what they do - and some of them seem to do as little as possible. It’s not the PR that’s the problem, it’s them.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I don't disagree with slimming down, there's no need for every member of the royal family to take on engagements all the time. However, those who do the most currently are not getting any younger. It's not reasonable to expect those in their 70's like Charles, Camilla, Anne to do as much as they do for much longer. The Cambridge children are a long way off being in that position, so there will be a bit of a gap, I don't see why the York sisters can't pick up royal work and support the monarch, whether that individual is their grandmother, uncle or, eventually, cousin. Over the decades, the Queen has had cousins such as Princess Alexandra and the Duke of Gloucester support the monarchy in carrying out engagements. Again, they are all advanced in years, the patronages they hold are going to need passed on at some point in the not too distant future - W&K can't pick up them all and Harry has thrown the toys out the pram.
But do they actually do a lot? Anne visiting 3 different offices in one day for an hour each and saying that was 3 engagements will add up at the end of the year to the title of “hardest working royal”, but visit like that are becoming a bit outdated and boring. Royals picking a couple of focused causes that make them visible and impactful, but then doing a few nursing home opens on the side is the way they’re going forward. The old idea of a royals having 1000 patronages is ridiculous because 90% are ignored anyway, so just drop them.

Reactions: 4
The difference is that if ‘we’ decide to work less, we get paid less. Most of us don’t have that luxury because we have bills to pay.
The royals can pick and choose what they do - and some of them seem to do as little as possible. It’s not the PR that’s the problem, it’s them.
I agree. None if them do charity work geniuses they love it or are committed to the cause. They do it because they have to in order to justify their existence.

Over the decades, the Queen has had cousins such as Princess Alexandra and the Duke of Gloucester support the monarchy in carrying out engagements.
They are supporting the Monarchy, but are they needed to be supporting charities more than the one or two that most people support while managing to hold down a job? Even actors and singers manage to support and promote charities and do a job.Many ' ordinary ' people volunteer snd do a full time job.The minor Royals do charitable work in return for living in Royal residences at a peppercorn rent and money from the Monarch.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
I agree. None if them do charity work geniuses they love it or are committed to the cause. They do it because they have to in order to justify their existence.
Camilla became president of the Royal Osteoporosis Society in 2001, before she was royal, after first becoming a supporter of the charity in 1994, according to their website: https://theros.org.uk/what-we-do/who-we-are/president/ Her mother and grandmother both suffered from it. I suspect she would also be supporting the domestic abuse charities she's patron of if she wasn't royal, it seems to be a cause very close to her heart too.

Reactions: 9
Can we outsource them? Happens to the rest of us.

Reactions: 3
Camilla became president of the Royal Osteoporosis Society in 2001, before she was royal, after first becoming a supporter of the charity in 1994, according to their website: https://theros.org.uk/what-we-do/who-we-are/president/ Her mother and grandmother both suffered from it. I suspect she would also be supporting the domestic abuse charities she's patron of if she wasn't royal, it seems to be a cause very close to her heart too.
Actually I forgot about Camilla. She does seem dedicated to the Osteoporosis Society and does a lot for DV without acknowledgement, but all of the environmental stuff, William in particular, when they don't seem to do much to want to change their own behaviour seems insincere. Even Charles has done some dodgy things that are bad for the environment in the name if making more money for himself from the Duchy of Cornwall. And many of them have hundreds of patronage, which they have little to do with. If the main small group chose two or three causes and really put the work into something they were passionate about, like Camilla does, or the Princes Trust or DoE, then they could do at least do something good with their position. We don't need minor Royals opening community centres as a justification for living on the public purse.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11
Eugenie does a fair bit for the orthopedic hospital where she had her operation and scoliosis charities in general for obvious reasons. Beatrice is dyslexic (as is her husband apparently) so does some work there and with children. Ed has taken on a lot of his father's interests such as the DoE scheme, playing fields trust, Commonwealth Games, Paralympics, and associated charities. Sophie is pretty busy too with the British Council and solo overseas visits; for obvious reasons she has fundraised for the hospital where Louise was born, takes an interest in premature babies, eye problems, and is now campaigning for menopause-associated groups, having been open about her own problems. They are said to be very well briefed on all their interests and obviously do a lot of reading up etc. With Anne, I was working somewhere where she attended to unveil a memorial and she went well over time speaking to every bereaved family for as long as they wanted, with kindness and compassion; she was said to know the work of Save The Children inside out too and do a lot behind the scenes. Harry, for all his faults, has done a lot of good with Sentabale and the Invictus Games. On another forum I'm on, about historical and royal jewellery, everyone feels that HM really ought to lend Sophie a decent couple of tiaras and necklaces, given that the Wessexes are usually the ones shoved off to foreign royal events and she doesn't really have anything particularly nice, even if she isn't in the main line 😂.

As for surrogates, Emma Weymouth, now the Marchioness of Bath, did an article or two about how they had to use a surrogate for their second son as she nearly died in her first pregnancy and was told it would be too dangerous to have another pregnancy. I don't think anyone has said anything about it affecting inheritance as the child is genetically hers and her husband's.

Reactions: 5
But that’s my point. Not all of those patronages will be passed on. Or they will end up like most of them. A visit once in five to ten years and maybe a supportive letter once in a while. I think HMTQ even holds some she never was actively involved with. This type of „charity work“ is outdated and there is no need to continue it on that scale. So there is no need to bring in others. Also, the whole charity spiel is not exactly the main job, is it? It’s to represent the country. Being involved a bit id expected but the amount you see with royals is because they need it to balance the fact that they are rich and privileged while getting most of their lives payed by the public for existing. That’s why in monarchies the HoS is much more publicly involved in charity than elected HoS.
They will cut down patronages. The old guard might continue till they retire but we won’t see this with W&K. They already try not to be tied to a specific charity as much as they try pick a cause and put “effort” into broader work. Supporting joint efforts instead of visiting school A today and hospital B tomorrow. It’s a double edged sword though. They don’t appear to be really passionate about their causes and don’t actually look well educated about it. They also missed too many opportunities to show their support with the possibilities Social Media gives you (I could easily come up with a year of public support via content + self promotion for almost 365 days a year that could be produced in maybe 2-3 months top, so need to actually break a sweat). It’s too half arsed for a successful coherent long term campaign. On the other hand those quick visits and appearances draw attention and just look good. Being visible is impossible and will always look like more work than everything they do behind the scenes. They need to carve out a new balance and get better staff to execute properly. It’s really not that hard.

They need to carve out a new balance and get better staff to execute properly. It’s really not that hard.
I suspect the problem with your very sensible analysis is this line. They don't seem to want staff who tell them what to do, or they don't want to listen to them, because they don't need to. They can just get some PR puff piece out there telling everyone how amazing they are and largely go about uncriticised. Kate and William are the future of the Monarchy, yet they are masters at doing very little for a huge amount of praise. Why is Earthshot in Boston? Why not go to a Commonwealth country, and one where they are at the sharp end of Climate change, or where putting pressure on the government might actually work, like India? It seems like PR photo opps more than doing something effective. What have either of them done to actually gain knowledge in their apparent ' passions'? Kate could not look less interested in early years, especially when you see her swanning about at elite sports events in comparison, and Williams speeches are forever getting picked apart by actual scientists because he hasn't bothered doing any research before writing speeches about population growth or space travel or environmental issues in Africa.

Reactions: 12
Eugenie does a fair bit for the orthopedic hospital where she had her operation and scoliosis charities in general for obvious reasons. Beatrice is dyslexic (as is her husband apparently) so does some work there and with children. Ed has taken on a lot of his father's interests such as the DoE scheme, playing fields trust, Commonwealth Games, Paralympics, and associated charities. Sophie is pretty busy too with the British Council and solo overseas visits; for obvious reasons she has fundraised for the hospital where Louise was born, takes an interest in premature babies, eye problems, and is now campaigning for menopause-associated groups, having been open about her own problems. They are said to be very well briefed on all their interests and obviously do a lot of reading up etc. With Anne, I was working somewhere where she attended to unveil a memorial and she went well over time speaking to every bereaved family for as long as they wanted, with kindness and compassion; she was said to know the work of Save The Children inside out too and do a lot behind the scenes. Harry, for all his faults, has done a lot of good with Sentabale and the Invictus Games. On another forum I'm on, about historical and royal jewellery, everyone feels that HM really ought to lend Sophie a decent couple of tiaras and necklaces, given that the Wessexes are usually the ones shoved off to foreign royal events and she doesn't really have anything particularly nice, even if she isn't in the main line 😂.

As for surrogates, Emma Weymouth, now the Marchioness of Bath, did an article or two about how they had to use a surrogate for their second son as she nearly died in her first pregnancy and was told it would be too dangerous to have another pregnancy. I don't think anyone has said anything about it affecting inheritance as the child is genetically hers and her husband's.

Sophie’s tiaras are awful. I would have that one she had for her wedding reset. It has a funny tall bit and then what looks like a ‘gap’ either side!

Sophie’s tiaras are awful. I would have that one she had for her wedding reset. It has a funny tall bit and then what looks like a ‘gap’ either side!
I had to look that up! So that's the Anthemion tiara, I quite like it as it's got a delicate pattern, like a snowflake.

You got your wish @JAR21 apparently she remodelled it in 2019 to add more jewels, so you'd probably like this version!

I think the ‘difficulty’ is that those tiaras were made for when women wore bigger and fuller hair so it looked like it was perched atop the head and you didn’t see the wires etc attaching the the gems and metal to the base. For me I think when Sophie wears tiaras she needs to back comb and make her hair fuller because she has fine hair. I’m the same, good thing I don’t have to worry about tiaras!
I do agree with what you’ve said about the design, it reminds me of cat ears either side!

I personally think Sophie has had the best ‘glow ups’ of all the Royal women. She’s looking better in her 50s than she did in her 30s. Her skin is very clear, granted there are wrinkles but over all it’s very luminous and even in the photos I looked at.
2B10E1F6-9C9F-466E-B37D-2D133CB0B3FF.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
I had to look that up! So that's the Anthemion tiara, I quite like it as it's got a delicate pattern, like a snowflake.

You got your wish @JAR21 apparently she remodelled it in 2019 to add more jewels, so you'd probably like this version!
Here’s a photo of the ‘old’ and ‘new’ version. I don’t like the new version either! There’s now too much in the middle and not enough at the sides!

I would have taken the top bit off and had the 3 fan bits the same and then used the diamonds from the central bottom bit to fill in the gaps with some new sort of shape.

Plus another tiara she’s got that I’m not keen on either! Although I prefer it as a tiara to a necklace.

411FBF3E-6709-4A16-87EC-E6625A4E7CBF.jpeg

B18D53D6-8611-42E0-9957-53051AF5B0F8.jpeg

FD74BD4A-759A-4B91-A5E3-224F08D8D86C.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
I think my favourite royal tiaras are Greville Emerald Kokoshnik, the Russian Fringe and the Queen Mary's bandeau.

Do William, Kate, Charles or Camilla smoke or drink? Never seen either of them do so which got me wondering if they do so.

Do William, Kate, Charles or Camilla smoke or drink? Never seen either of them do so which got me wondering if they do so.
I think Camilla smokes but not sure what makes me think that. Not sure on the others, wouldn’t have though William and Kate do.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.