The Royal Family #16

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
He doesn't want to get sued by Harry and Meghan so he's covering his ass. He spoke to Bower. He said what he said. Now he's covering his ass. It's all nonsense. Courageous? For doing what? Intelligent? Please.

Reactions: 6
I don't know. I thought the bit about congratulating Harry for taking such an extraordinary woman as his bride was🤢 Maybe it is just the way of the showbiz world but it sounds insincere to me.
I think it’s definitely gushy showbiz talk and kind of phrasing that seems to be normal in the US and sometimes is perceived as completely over the top and therefore utterly insincere by others.

Reactions: 6
I’m a few decades late but I’m finally reading Diana In her own words, think I got it for 99p in a kindle sale. I’m about a quarter of the way through, and theres no doubt Charles treated her absolutely appallingly and was a terrible husband, and at times just a terrible person. But she seems absolutely bonkers in the head, and at times just quite self righteous. Having this view that she can see things others can’t, that she’s psychic and always has been, always knowing what to do when others don’t. I’m reading it and struggling to sympathise, I can see how bad she’s being treated but just constantly making me pull a face with almost how perfect she perceives herself.

• Wow
Reactions: 14
I don't know. I thought the bit about congratulating Harry for taking such an extraordinary woman as his bride was🤢 Maybe it is just the way of the showbiz world but it sounds insincere to me.
I thought it was a ridiculous thing to say tbh. Harry wasn’t a down and out who got lucky!
Tell me Meghan, what first attracted you to the millionaire Prince?

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I’m a few decades late but I’m finally reading Diana In her own words, think I got it for 99p in a kindle sale. I’m about a quarter of the way through, and theres no doubt Charles treated her absolutely appallingly and was a terrible husband, and at times just a terrible person. But she seems absolutely bonkers in the head, and at times just quite self righteous. Having this view that she can see things others can’t, that she’s psychic and always has been, always knowing what to do when others don’t. I’m reading it and struggling to sympathise, I can see how bad she’s being treated but just constantly making me pull a face with almost how perfect she perceives herself.
I have got Diana Her True Story by Andrew Morton in my bookcase. Think it might be the same book. Anyway you've spiked my curiosity to have another read. It says copyright 1992 so probs 30 years since I bought it! 😁

Reactions: 1
I have got Diana Her True Story by Andrew Morton in my bookcase. Think it might be the same book. Anyway you've spiked my curiosity to have another read. It says copyright 1992 so probs 30 years since I bought it! 😁
Yes it’s the same book, looks like it has 2 titles, I think cause I bought it recently there might be newer chapters cause it’s 25 years since her death. I’m reading it through the eyes of someone who was 2 when she died so I can’t be influenced by the press and what’s going on, but she just seems very odd, reminds me a lot of Harry at the moment just seeming all not there.

Reactions: 4
Yes it’s the same book, looks like it has 2 titles, I think cause I bought it recently there might be newer chapters cause it’s 25 years since her death. I’m reading it through the eyes of someone who was 2 when she died so I can’t be influenced by the press and what’s going on, but she just seems very odd, reminds me a lot of Harry at the moment just seeming all not there.
I don't remember what's in this book at all. What I do remember is Lady C was originally the author but as she wouldn't write what Di wanted she was dropped for Andrew Morton.
I think it was a sad situation all round. Charles marrying due to pressure from family to marry and find a nice girl, and losing Camilla with his dithering, as she wasn't "suitable". Probably why he put his foot down later on.
A lot of things about the royals are covered up and is only revealed after their death as to how nice or horrible they really were.
Anyway will be interested to read the book again with my now greater knowledge of the participants. 😁
p.s. my book has 158 pages which includes the appendix.

Reactions: 5
I remember queuing outside Waterstones in Bristol on the day it was published to buy this.
30 YEARS ? Yikes.

I remember queuing outside Waterstones in Bristol on the day it was published to buy this.
30 YEARS ? Yikes.
damn was it really that anticipated? Knew it was a best seller but thought only things like Harry Potter had people waiting at the doors

I feel the magnitude of interest and popularity in Diana is something I’ll never understand, it doesn’t matter how much i read I just can’t understand what the scale of it is like because I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything for a celebrity in my lifetime the way people describe it. It does feel like one of those you had to be there to understand it things

Reactions: 9
damn was it really that anticipated? Knew it was a best seller but thought only things like Harry Potter had people waiting at the doors

I feel the magnitude of interest and popularity in Diana is something I’ll never understand, it doesn’t matter how much i read I just can’t understand what the scale of it is like because I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything for a celebrity in my lifetime the way people describe it. It does feel like one of those you had to be there to understand it things
I can only put it down to the fact that people said she had "it". Charisma or whatever you might call it. My mum was a dark haired version with charisma and it was like she was famous for being herself and then when she went grey and had blonde highlights people started curtseying to her. I thought they were nutters until I twigged what was going on - that they really thought she was Di (she was young looking for her age). So much so that my boy friends were hitting on her. 🤷🙄.

Reactions: 2
It definitely was !
Remember it was all pre internet and cloak and dagger.
The queues were massive !

Reactions: 7
I thought it was a ridiculous thing to say tbh. Harry wasn’t a down and out who got lucky!
Tell me Meghan, what first attracted you to the millionaire Prince?
Ben Shepherd said to Tom Bower 'She was a very famous actress. She had a high profile in Hollywood and Suits is a series that was streamed all over the world, so people knew who she was.'

Tom quite rightly disagreed. I'm not sure where this narrative has come from that Megan was a very successful actress. I don't for one minute think any of those people have seen Suits. Its a bland, style over substance drama where the the characters swan around in designer gear and never set foot in a court. I did watch. Megan's character was quite low down in the pecking order. As for the acting ....

She did not have a high profile in Hollywood. That's why she was in UK trying to grab herself a footballer.

The likes of the Clooneys and Oprah only became interested when she got with Harry. The Clooneys have since had nothing to do with them and Oprah used them.

Don't want to derail with H&M stuff but it does annoy me how they've rewritten her status prior to Harry. She basically married well.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Ben Shepherd said to Tom Bower 'She was a very famous actress. She had a high profile in Hollywood and Suits is a series that was streamed all over the world, so people knew who she was.'

Tom quite rightly disagreed. I'm not sure where this narrative has come from that Megan was a very successful actress. I don't for one minute think any of those people have seen Suits. Its a bland, style over substance drama where the the characters swan around in designer gear and never set foot in a court. I did watch. Megan's character was quite low down in the pecking order. As for the acting ....

She did not have a high profile in Hollywood. That's why she was in UK trying to grab herself a footballer.

The likes of the Clooneys and Oprah only became interested when she got with Harry. The Clooneys have since had nothing to do with them and Oprah used them.

Don't want to derail with H&M stuff but it does annoy me how they've rewritten her status prior to Harry. She basically married well.
So has everyone else who married into the Royal Family?

I'm not saying Megan was this powerhouse actress but she was part of a popular TV show in the US/Canada and had a successful blog. It might not be to everyone tastes but we don't need to bash her achievements for it.

That and at least she had a career and life for herself before she got married unlike someone else who waited and married well into the family...

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Suits was what it was … it was no Good Wife but it was good enough to last for 9 series, so not a complete turkey.

it gave the cast steady work for 8 or so years, which for jobbing actors is virtually into long service territory. I’d imagine that the out-of-work-waiting-tables bridge would have given several internal organs for the opportunity.

Reactions: 12

I agree that Meghan wasn’t a big name in Hollywood but Suits was the second-highest rated cable show in July 2017 behind only Game of Thrones. She was part of the main cast and was in promotional images for the show since series 1. Whether people liked the show is a personal opinion (I couldn’t get into it) but this narrative of trying to say she wasn’t successful at what she did when she is estimated to have made $50,000 an episode as well as having other sources of income (modelling, she may have made money from her blog) is just ridiculous.

Reactions: 10
She was doing well for sure but Ben Shepherd is wrong - she wasn't well known in Hollywood or around the world. How many of us had heard of her before Harry?

It will be interesting to see if they take any legal action in regard to the book. They've been quick to sue in the past so they've backed themselves into a corner now - looks bad for them if they don't sue him.

Yes a lot of my generation knew her, we all kept up to date and watched Suits at uni even in the UK, it was handy when it finally came to Netflix and we didn’t have to find dodgy streams for it. I liked her characters clothes, and she was a main character for all seasons but she was also a part that could have been wrote out without much sadness if that makes sense? Other than her character being a source of workwear fashion inspiration I don’t think many would have said she was their favourite character.

I liked the theme tune. :cool:

I did like the way Tom Bower admitted that he could only write the book by talking to people who didn’t like her … but was also at pains to point out it wasn’t biased. I guess it’s like most of these things - the truth will
end up being somewhere in the middle.

in other news I’m glad that Tiggy Legge Bourke has finally had an apology.

Last edited:
I agree that Meghan wasn’t a big name in Hollywood but Suits was the second-highest rated cable show in July 2017 behind only Game of Thrones. She was part of the main cast and was in promotional images for the show since series 1. Whether people liked the show is a personal opinion (I couldn’t get into it) but this narrative of trying to say she wasn’t successful at what she did when she is estimated to have made $50,000 an episode as well as having other sources of income (modelling, she may have made money from her blog) is just ridiculous.
I never said she wasn't successful at what she did but she was not a Hollywood powerhouse.
She was an attractive, jobbing actress with moderate success who married a Prince then suddenly decided she was Michelle Obama.

So has everyone else who married into the Royal Family?

I'm not saying Megan was this powerhouse actress but she was part of a popular TV show in the US/Canada and had a successful blog. It might not be to everyone tastes but we don't need to bash her achievements for it.

That and at least she had a career and life for herself before she got married unlike someone else who waited and married well into the family...

Of course. Kate married the best but Meghan didn't do too badly. ;)

Reactions: 8
I never said she wasn't successful at what she did but she was not a Hollywood powerhouse.
She was an attractive, jobbing actress with moderate success who married a Prince then suddenly decided she was Michelle Obama.
I mean you said ‘I'm not sure where this narrative has come from that Megan was a very successful actress’. An actress who has consistent work for 7 years in a highly rated cable show earning $50,000 an episode I would class as very successful. Yes she wasn’t a Hollywood powerhouse but I would still say she was very successful at her job.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.