Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

LadyQuaithe

Someone wrote this in regard to Harry and Meghan:
''I would have sat there and ate my food with a smile and never opened my mouth against any bullshit and worn all the tights they needed me to, just to get access to that jewellery ''

Actually people who think this way tell us what their values really are. For the sake of royal residences, diamonds and holidays in Mustique it's ok to keep stiff upper lip while rabid media shits on you. It's ok to endure infidelity and abuse of all kind as long as you keep the title of Queen or Duchess .

• Heart
Reactions: 12

Tangent Tiger

VIP Member
I dont particularly respect Catherine but whore is a bit much imo! She has turned herself into an empty vessel for the Royals and its irritating when people say she is a role model for girls, because they are basically saying women should be taught to shut up and do what their husband and his family tells them to do, have no opinions or character and not be troublesome. But that is mainly the fault of the sycophantic Royal Rota and the RF themselves.
The whole concept of the Commonwealth was to give the RF something to do once the Empire had ended, and now its just an anachronism.
Yes it is an anachronism and hopefully will be disbanded in due course.

But with regard to Catherine every woman (or man) can choose to be a stay at home mum/dad and shouldn't be criticised for that. She does a lot of visits which aren't recorded.

Reactions: 11

LoopyLou47

VIP Member
the party where Harry wore the Nazi uniform, William okayed it and went with him but Harry bore the brunt (quite rightly, but if William was ok with it questions should have been raised at him).
The story I heard was that Wiliam encouraged Harry to wear it and they were at the party together. I mean, Harry should have used his brain cell and said no ( in the same way that William should have said no to the Colonial Cosplay 20 years later) but he's clearly easily led and the family as a whole queen hardly know for their self-awareness or intelligence.

I have struggled with this for some time.
Particularly in relation to Duchess of Cambridge’s work in relation to early years. Most of the children’s centres near us closed during austerity and health visitor services seem to be pretty much non-existent. I know it’s not as simple as if the cambridges had less homes then maybe ordinary people could have a children’s centre nearby but it’s hard not to go down the route of thinking. In the same way, I was really annoyed when she went shadowing midwifes in an nhs hospital. I am sure the intentions were good but, having seen the facilities where she gave birth, it did scream to me of peering into the lives of the plebs. All a bit Marie-Antoinette playing at shepherdesses to me.
Yes without talking about funding of services for families it's all a bit pointless for someone with no experience of bringing up children while having to pay the bills to utter inane soundbites about the importance of early years and pretend to be an ' early years expert'. Not to mention that the existence of Surestart Centres and free hours of early years provision means that what prople are pretending is her ' groundbreaking' research was already done 20-30 years before. The provision was decimated by the government who probably sat there smiling and nodding and using her as a photo opportunity while having no intention of doing anything about it. It all seems like using very serious issues to make Kate look like she has a job outside of smiling and waving. Most of the older Royals don't pretend to be experts but still manage to look as if they are what they are- privileged people using their position to bring publicity to a cause- Camilla with women's refuges and osteoporosis ( which she does have experience of) and Princess Anne with Save the Children. It does seem that the Cambridges feel they should be pretending to be something they just aren't, even though everyone knows who they are. It may be an issue of the people they hire to do their PR. It makes them look hypocritical, amateurish and insincere.

Last edited:

thegreencow

VIP Member
It's been a lovely weekend and a great celebration of Her Majesty. She looked deep in thought and sad at times on that balcony today. Charles has looked miserable at points. I do agree that this may be her swansong. I always thought she wouldn't be far behind Philip, her beloved.

After her funeral I do think Harry and Meghan will be ousted forever. I think a few members are only tolerating them to respect the Queen's wishes. It will be a terrible shame because those kids have done nothing wrong but they will be denied the opportunity of knowing their cousins.

I don't see the monarchy surviving for many more monarchs and certainly think there will be a vote to abolish it in the next couple of decades. Something just feels different without the queen, even whilst she is still alive.

Blurp

VIP Member
At the very least visiting them and providing a proper burial wouldn't be over riding any decisions about their care. They were hidden away due to their blood connections to the royals and the view that their heritage was not pure. Cant believe people think the treatment of them by their relatives is acceptable.
I have very little to do with my own cousins myself but I wouldn't let them have a paupers funeral if I was aware and be in a position to help.
No one is saying that it was acceptable but it was regularly done years ago.

However, the argument would be better were it based on fact. They were not hidden away because of their connection to the royals, any more than their Trefusis cousins were. They were hidden away because that's unfortunately what happened in those days in many families. Three of their cousins also with a Trefusis mother, were also in full time care due to mental disability. It appears to have been commonly thought that the Trefusis family had a genetic problem rather than the Bowes-Lyons; Diana Spencer's father broke off his engagement to the then Lady Anne Coke (later Lady Anne Tennant, Lady Glenconner, lady-in-waiting to Princess Margaret) because of her Trefusis grandmother and their "bad blood". So nothing to do with the royals. Or was Rosemary Kennedy hidden away for a link to the royals too?!

Lady Elizabeth Shakerley, another Bowes-Lyon cousin, disputed the notion that the family had forgotten the two sisters, her aunts, saying that they were very much part of the family as sisters to her mother, Princess Anne of Denmark (but only the British royals get flak for it). It is possible that, like Rosemary Kennedy, they had lived as members of the family until their behaviour got too hard to deal with, and they were then institutionalised as was very common. Would they have recognised visitors by that stage? Possibly not. Rosemary Kennedy's parents did not visit her either and her siblings only found out her location in 1961.

So, sadly, this was not restricted to the royals but a relatively common way of dealing with mental disability during that era. Visits could distress both the patient and their relatives; particularly if the patient could no longer recognise them and the relatives were unable to cope with this and/or their behaviour. This is what eventually happened with my relative.

• Heart

Heidi88

VIP Member
I agree that the Queen looked emotional. I think that may have been her last balcony appearance.

The photographer Chris Jackson has a photo up on insta and it looks like she has tears in her eyes 😭

• Sad

Merpedy

VIP Member
Well you only have to look at Tattle- 15 threads about the Royals and nearly 200 threads about Meghan and Harry. Shows why they are still in the news.
The Harry and Meghan stuff seems to be driven by pure hate for the two at this point. The tabloids just seem to pick up on the next slightly crazy idea someone on YouTube is spreading

• Heart

elliebee27

VIP Member
William is a normal everyman, see, he can't do decent photos for his 40th! He's just like us... so no photos commemorating a milestone birthday but they will take another house, thanks!

• Haha

TYL159

Chatty Member
It’s ridiculous that people can’t see the irony in a Prince pretending to be down with ‘ordinary’ people by selling the Big Issue then buggering off home to a bloody palace, whilst waffling about how much he cares about homelessness. 🙄
He is supposed to be the future King, there is no contradiction between the 2. Big Issue got more publicity from this than any other PR they have had for years

Em_gardener

VIP Member
I'd much prefer to be an ordinary millionaire than a royal millionaire. Kate did have it tough from the tabloids in the beginning when there were hordes of them following her around but she has it much better now though.

I'd hate to be a royal in the direct line. The worst part for me would be one of my children being heir to the throne. I'd be so worried about George if he were my child. What if he doesn't want to do it? He seems kind of quiet and shy. What if the press take against him? I don't think I could cope with the worry of it. I suppose others would love the idea of it though.

Reraciara

Chatty Member
No amount of 'palace PR' would get me at the same event of a woman I believed my husband had or was having an affair with.
No offence but this is Kate, a woman who own mother allegedly kept inviting around her ex boyfriend around to hers after he let his friends called her a mattress so it's not too far fetched...

• Heart

Couchcollie

She didn’t look as bright today as she did on Thursday. The schedule must be physically exhausting for her but the mental toll for her must be enormous…although it’s a celebration of her life she is, sadly, close to the end and we don’t know if that is something she personally is at peace with.

maytoseptember

VIP Member
No, not just you. I noticed as well. She looked tired and unwell today, very pale.

I don‘t think she’s going to be with us much longer. The rest of the family all looked so sad. The next time we see that kind of pomp will be her funeral.
I noticed her jaw was quite slack, like she was breathing heavily. It’s been a funny old weekend, like a long goodbye. Must be very bittersweet for the RF.

• Sad

Joon

VIP Member
Poor Queen she couldn't wait to go in. Bless her. Think this will be the last time .jmo :cry:

TYL159

Chatty Member
It has been widely reported that they will maintain Anmer Hall as one of their residences and plan to use it frequently.

So that's 3 homes in all for a family of 5.
So what? Anmer Hall is part of the Sandringham Estate which is owned personally by the Queen rather than being part of the Crown Estate and was a wedding gift from the Queen to the Cambridges